Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what? how? why?

Someone there the new man in charge wants dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HorrificExistence posted:

At the end of the soviet union they signed a law allowing them to form hosts again.

as to what they do today...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/26/russia-cossacks-cadets-volgograd

and music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCwjHhUvIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1zxejuYKM

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trump already bombed an empty field in syria and declared it a military victory.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vernii posted:

Doubtful given they had seized a good chunk of the senior government and the coup was only defeated by Erdogan personally mobilizing his base. The entire thing came very, very close to succeeding which makes its failure even more tragic.

Did it?

iirc they had to launch it prematurely because they'd been outed and nothing really happened.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

It looks like the majority of Republican politicians are opposed to this but still too cowardly to directly call out Trump, I wonder how long it'll be before the Secretary of Defense gets thrown under the bus

Congressional republicans are pretty clearly just keeping their heads down hopingthis boows over.

Worthless, every single one of them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can anyone with more in depth knowledge than me of the two assassinated gentlemenexplain how this is such a big deal

Imagine if, while in Jordan, a car bomb killed the head of our CIA and the head of our liaison in the region.

Imagine we had been saber rattling with the responsible country for basically four decades, and the country responsible had recently torn up a diplomatic agreement for no real reason.

What would the expected response be?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

US had him on a kill list but never did it because he is a state official and pulling that trigger without a gently caress ton of cover would start poo poo. big.

The cover for this from Trump is going to be that Obama put him on the kill list but could never get it done.

TRUMP could get it done.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who are these dudes?

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1212912578470518785?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Tied to Iran I guess, or are we going to coup the current Iraqi government?

Yes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Trump did all of this in an attempt to distract PR away from impeachment. Do you folks think this will subtract from (distracting proxy war) or add to impeachment proceedings? (wanton aggression)

I'm sure the various republicans will be very concerned about this attack but are going to wait until they have all the facts and it's not as if Soleimani was some angel.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And guys that was not a serious take by me, just a predicted republican response.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Can anyone list previous examples of a state assassinating a high ranking member of another state outside of wartime? I can't think of any.

Russia did a number to the Polish government in 2010.

quote:

Among the victims were the President of Poland Lech Kaczyński and his wife Maria, the former President of Poland in exile Ryszard Kaczorowski, the chief of the Polish General Staff and other senior Polish military officers, the president of the National Bank of Poland, Polish Government officials, 18 members of the Polish Parliament, senior members of the Polish clergy and relatives of victims of the Katyn massacre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolensk_air_disaster

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, what Iran can do now, realisticaly? What could anyone in the world do against the USA at this point?

This isn't just Iran, this is Shia Islam and all the various militias and armies throughout the Middle East. Just use your imagination.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pompeo taking time out of his busy schedule bribing people in Kansas for a senate campaign to run interference for the Trump admin.

He's really become the most loathsome politician in the Trump sphere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because, in very technical neurological terms, Donald Trump's brain is composed of rotting Froot Loops®.

Rotting fruit loops are probably more biologically active.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

I'm reminded of something a Dutch chess grandmaster once said:

Then again he also said "women have never thought or made anything worth considering", so eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnC-yaOHkM

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there any infrastructure on or around Al Asad (lol love the name) to defend against missiles, like Patriot batteries or something

If they're ballistic it won't matter.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

teacup posted:

Uhhh this is not good correct? Is there a situation where the US doesn’t respond ridiculously? I’m not trying to Arzy here but this isn’t going to be a “actual war” thing right?

Tonight Trump is going to get off a conference call with Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson and be presented with military options, one of which will be to drop nuclear missiles on Iran.

What do you think?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Don't f35s murder us pilots on their own?

Hopefully the Iranians didn't bring their garage door openers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't believe this at all.