Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How do people play North American natives? I figured out that turning off Cossacks helps a lot at start to cut down on alliance spam/favours required, but otherwise I have no clue what I should be doing. Also I prioritise the +10 force limit building.

As for DLC I have all of it bar Emperor.

Every guide I can find is few years out of date at best and doesn't really work anymore.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Poil posted:

No idea about guides or even competent play. I just sat on my butt slowly colonizing towards where I thought the Europeans would first land, made some no-CB wars against neighbors to get their land or vassalage them when I could (annexed them when they migrated up close) and slapped down as many of the income boosting buildings as possible to afford running two colonies and some army at the same time. I mostly ignored teching as much as I could.

The +10 force limit building was the only one I skipped because I couldn't afford to max out my army anyway and I got enough from owning provinces. :v:

Did you not have trouble with alliances when fighting wars? It seems like everyone allies everyone else, on top of the tribal federations making wars dicey.

I've been hoping to do the "no trail of tears" achievement.

I don't know I might try a peaceful playthrough instead, see where it gets me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Promethium posted:

Build the +10 (if you need to) and no-CB your immediate neighbors, then fill out your reforms but don't spend any additional points on tech because you get it for free when the colonizers show up. By that time your own provinces should be very well developed. Once colonial nations appear the only important thing is to not let their overlord declare war on you -- I'm not sure exactly all of the conditions that make this possible before Imperialism but it usually works if you declare as soon as truce is up until you've wiped them out entirely.

If you are doing No Trail of Tears specifically, then start by allying Choctaw and invade Creek as soon as you are confident of winning. The earlier you can do it, the less likely they'll have a bunch of allies. No one else is going to attack you since they don't border you. Use your colonist to get a bit closer to the eastern seaboard, and when the time comes make sure that you reform off a European nation rather than clicking the button immediately if Choctaw gets it first. When colonial nations start forming, prioritize deleting Louisiana as soon as possible and cut off colonizers from the west. After that you can gradually absorb eastern NA; keep hitting them and don't let the overlord declare a reconquest war on you.

Thanks for that, especially for the later advice! As for my initial conquest I've restarted and spent the first 12 years getting favour and collecting enough money to build 15k troops, at which point I just rolled over them. They did ally with a bunch of other nations, but I had over 30k troops along with my allies against their 26k spread out, so that worked out fine, plus I got some vassals and stuff out of it as well.

Currently am almost finished with native advancements and waiting for the europeans to show up.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Baby’s first Ironman campaign for me is with England and it’s 1640 and I’m the #1 great power making piles of money with me owning northern France and Gascony as a subject owning most of the rest of France. I’ve got all of eastern North America, the Caribbean, Colombia, coastal west Africa, and now expanding into the spice islands. The Church of England thing where you can abolish the monasteries every year or two for 600 ducats seems horribly broken but I’m not complaining.

How did you win against France? I have trouble with HYW even if I can ally (and pull into war, since it's offensive from the event) Burgundy and Aragon.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I did this slightly cheesy opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJB0BLzTprA
Basically, exploit all your mil development/increase autonomy to gain manpower and lower force limit, release Normandy/Gascony and give them all your continental lands and enable scutage so they aren't involved in the war. By exploiting dev/lowering autonomy/releasing vassals you can instantly accomplish the 'rebuild our army' mission before even unpausing which gives conquest CB on Scotland. Declare that war ASAP and now you are just at war with france (who has nothing to attack unless they invade by sea, which you can defeat) and scotland. Beat up scotland, then go park your 30 stack on Paris until you capture Paris, finish the mission that gives you a PU claim on france (I never went to war with them over this), white peace france, vassalize scotland. I think I got lucky with some events that boosted stability and got an heir so the War of the Roses never fired.

Oh that sounds like a good strategy! Never thought of abusing scutage like that. Though I'd, uhh, hesitate to call that only slightly cheesy (they specifically patched making vassals from French holdings to avoid the normal war event as an exploit some time back).

Still probably will give it a go myself, the standard war is brutal. It's around 3-4 times my manpower and troops, and I can only call in allies by promising them land since it's offensive.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 31, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Firebatgyro posted:

You really don't have to do anything cheesy to win the HYW as either side.

Assuming you're playing with Cossacks, then how do you do it as the England?

I've tried about 5 times, the furthest I got was by getting Burgundy to ally with me and promising them land concessions to enter the war (which is pure luck that only happened once out of the 5 runs, other times they rivalled me from start or even joined up with France). I've also managed to peace out Scotland beforehand in that same run, but even then I'm stuck facing France and the vassal swarm with depleted manpower reserves and eventually just get beaten down.

Winning as France is obviously completely trivial.

e: As a typical example in my best run I'd try to siege Paris with stacks+allies totaling 38k troops, but before I can finish the siege France+vassals roll up with a fair few K more and it's uhh, well, nice knowing you. I should mention I'm also playing on ironman I guess.

I don't even have trouble sinking the French fleet or anything, it's purely (re)conquering the mainland that's the issue.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 31, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cheese has changed from patch to patch, but one of the main ways to do it sans fromage is to not actually fight the war for Maine (either cheese it or just give it to them) and then complete the mission and fight them later. France will quickly amass rivals and all of them will ally you and be willing to fight offensive wars.

I guess that's fair enough, I was mostly hoping to win the actual event war. And yeah I don't think I'd have trouble fighting the war ~30 years later if I could, it's the combination of bad starting position, low manpower, no starting allies and offensive war where your mainland provinces get immediately occupied which makes it difficult.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Some very good advice here, I'll give it another try tonight and see how far can I get!

I did try the hit and run for a while, managed to occupy almost the entire northern half of France, even waited on the Burgundy a bit - but I never did try to split their stack, that might work. I even defeated their stack once, but it was at a numerical disadvantage and with them having far more manpower than me it was a losing proposition anyway, one bad battle was all it took. Either way I'm going to try again and post a trip report.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

They patched that out according to the wiki, but you can do the scutage trick as someone quoted above.

As a partial trip report - after 6 restarts Burgundy rivals me every time. Also England doesn't have noble estate to get a bonus from, as someone suggested earlier; that said I'm still going ahead with it.

Worst comes to worst I'll do the cowardly thing and wait a bit, but it would be nice to win legitimately.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Second partial trip report - focusing on Scotland and exploiting the mainland provinces for manpower/deleting their forts went much better. I guess vague recollections of EU3 ticking warscore were pushing me to invade the mainland back even though there's no need. I'm pretty much the only one with any navy anymore, Scotland has been thoroughly murdered and I'm building up to go back into France. Managed to dodge the war of roses by killing off my initial king via making him a general when I had a decent heir.

One small issue is that Castille is currently being re-reconquista'd hard by Morocco and Granada. Which, while neat to see, doesn't exactly make me feel great about the future of our alliance.

e: Part three, tried to split their army but even after wiping one 9k stack even half of their army (including vassals) beat all of my army handily. Looks like it's not that simple - the main issue is that I can't peace out their vassals and they all have 8-10k troops each, while France has almost as many as I do. Maybe if I were more patient and managed to get enough favours to use allies I might have a chance, but as it is it's very difficult to win against 2.5x the troops. And the ticking war exhaustion is a factor after all, even if it takes a while.

e2: Part four, had to accept a lesser peace after my army got caught by a doomstack from FoW - on the plus side I only lost 3 provinces. Even the hit and run tactic doesn't work terribly well - despite peacing out Provence France and vassals had close to 80k troops according to the war screen, along with a big manpower advantage (this was about 20 years into the game), which is just really hard to beat. Possibly could have done better by first forming GB and leaving France be, the war may be costly in terms of war exhaustion but what can you do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 31, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Node posted:

the AI will path through them all unobstructed anyway

What seriously? That sucks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Alright after many attempts I've come across the perfect method for winning the HYW starting at the Maine event:

Step 1: Throw away your principles and disable Cossacks for this run
Step 2: Ally Austria, Castille and Aragon, other allies optional
Step 3: Press button 'do not surrender Maine'
Step 4: Watch as you win with minimal participation

Very original I know. But hey it counts!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Thing is you can only migrate as an OPM tribe, once you get multiple provinces you can't anymore.

Frankly it sounds like they're getting rid of what limited features there are more than anything, you can already use colonists (or war) to expand.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Poil posted:

You can also lower military development in a province for manpower but I've no idea how the ratios compare.

Probably far worse if you have any reasonable number of provinces. Might be a viable option if you have only 2 highly developed provinces or something.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Probottt posted:

Is there a consistent way to call Aragon into the first war? I've been allying them in my last few attempts and they've been refusing to join even when I promise them land. I've been attempting this war during the Maine war if that helps at all.

If you disable Cossacks DLC it works fine, see my post history ITT about England and the surrender of Maine.

The problem is that it's an offensive war basically, and you need to build up trust to get allies to join those which takes decades and so isn't really an option at the start of the game.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 30, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tahirovic posted:

I can't seem to find the option anymore to lock my version to the current one on Steam. I want to finish a game in the current version and ignore the new expansion/patch at the end of the month until I am ready.

Go into program files/steam/steamapps/common and copy the EU4 folder somewhere else, then use the exe to run it.

This works with almost all Steam games, though it can get a bit tricky with workshop mods. You do still need to have the game installed in your Steam library (actually maybe not the case for Paradox games since I remember them being a bit lax, but generally you do) for copy protection, so copy the folder don't move it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 6, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

currying favors are also broken, but in a way that advantages smaller countries more so it's more of a "this is really nice in the early game in games where you need to rely on a big AI ally than something you literally always do every time you get the chance to, so it's less of an issue.

I'm not sure I'd call them broken, since the previous answer for starts asking "how do I get an ally to do an offensive war at the beginning" was more or less "disable the Cossacks DLC for the run".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I said don't buy it. It's not good but it's not unplayable. Particularly in the era of steam workshop where it takes like five minutes to download a million mods.

now don't get me started on mods breaking cheevos, an extremely dumb decision

You can get around it with CheatEngine, or at least it used to be possible on older versions, I haven't played modded in a while.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Detheros posted:

Maybe if there were 10% of the current fort count, but otherwise, lmao gently caress no.

At least get Britain, smh, what kind of Roman empire is that without it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Detheros posted:

I'm officially at the "IDGAF" portion of this Anglophile run. :v:

That's a big AI Ottoman Empire. Papal State too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 14, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've got an urgent question: What's the pun in "Vasa or Wettin?"? I've been trying to figure it out and I just can't.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

If by awesome you mean stupidly overpowered, sure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, why did they change Poland to always get Lithuania? It was only a 90% chance to get it before, but I did see that they chose a local noble... And still got Lithuania. Was this announced somewhere bc it seems a senseless change

If you're Lithuania they won't, but yes I remember it was discussed before the chat. No idea why. Maybe because Lithuania is so good now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Also you can take their tribal land in peace deals for cheap, so you'll get more than one province even if it looks like they are an OPM.

It actually really helps with making NW conquest easier.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Really? That kind of sucks. It was that way on 1.32 FWIW.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I could go Jadd and name the thread "There is no other God but Surael and Jaddar is His Prophet."

Laith did a good VLP for Jadd though, so that's a bit redundant since there's not many lps in the first place.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think it's disabled and being reworked right now, sadly.

And yes Anbennar is pretty amazing.

e: Just reread your thing about not wanting to look at reddit; basically they were an escanni formable empire but are not in the game right now.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

My Kobold game is going fairly well all things considered (this is while still monstrous):

Only took a couple reloads to get that far :v:

e: And apparently Lorent will join me for an offensive war on Portnamm which co-belligerents Gawed who have almost no manpower. I might actually be able to survive this.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 12, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I just noticed TMIT of civ fanatics fame now posts intensely swotty posts on Reddit about Anbennar and DCSS. I mean it makes sense that he'd play other things but still, he was probably the best civilisation 4 player for a while and wrote a ton of guides for high-level play.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

TaurusTorus posted:

I also want army supply lines and anything to represent the difficulty European armies had actually projecting force into the Americas. It shouldn’t be possible for the AI to send their entire force limit to fight in Mexico.

Problem with that is then you have to make them stronger than the natives again, or they won't project power at all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Wafflecopper posted:

Depending on your definition of modest, I'd say most of them that aren't Phoenix Empire, Jadd Empire, The Command, or that one Escann orc tag that gets missions to take over the EoA.

Well yes the centaurs are really just lovable scamps trying to get back to their ancestral homelands, I agree.

Not their fault there are other races in the way.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I just wanted to make that joke because I thought it was funny, not really trying to criticise, sorry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I like Laith personally, here's his channel. He's not as insufferable as most of the others.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 20, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair to him it's a joke video.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

JosefStalinator posted:

Ehhh the war is a free win if you get the right allies. Castile+Burgundy is usually a free win, but Castile alone can do it too. Just make sure your troops are not in Normandy, wait for the French to bog down in Spain, and catch them in the Pyrenees.

It's not an easy war if you're a new player who get England recommended a lot though. It's closer to being doable if you know what you're doing than a free win.

Still much easier than it was before promise land.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lostconfused posted:

Anyway, dominating the region gives me a bigger trade note than anything in Cannor. Military hegemon seems nearly impossible or really stupid though, like amassing a million sized army is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Also I guess you can have a lot of artificer capacity if you play long enough, but I never do.

Eh it's not too hard to get if you get big enough, I had 3.5M last time I played till the end in Anbennar, controlling somewhere between a quarter and a third of the world. Maybe bit over a third.

e: It did include all of Cannor + NotIndia and everything between, to be fair.

In general I don't think you're the undisputed number one with that little bit of land to count as a real hegemon. Even looking at the development Lorent clearly isn't far off.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 4, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say more like 1700 or so, but if you're not going for WC or similar achievement you can just speed 5 after mostly.

Alternatively: get a better CPU, lol, lmao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm surprised how much more balanced Anebar kinda seems to be? I've been playing it in MP (10 players) and most of our experience as fairly experienced players is "So I tried to attack some people and then Gawed showed up and stomped on my neck."

Balancing is much easier when there's no real world history and geopolitics you need to vaguely approximate.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Re: Sarhal Anbennar update

Play Mulen they said. It'll be a fun tall game they said.

I was not ready.

e: For those who don't know, it's somewhere around Granada in difficulty on the latest update I guess? Sits as monstrous between Jadd, Zokka ally and the Raj and received religion nerfs in the update. Also borders the centaurs but they are downright cuddly in comparison to the other neighbours.

Would appreciate any tips, right now I'm basically conquering the forbidden plains steppe after the initial wars instead of trying to take on Jadd. Which sortof works?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You have a Powerful Mage with Legendary Enchantment as your starting ruler. The trick with Mulen is to crush Zokka and Jaddar pretty much out the gate by using Dominate Garrison to insta cap their capital and ya know, use war wizard generalship whole also picking favorable fights.

I just can't do it, I can take Zokka but Jadd is too much - I can take about half of their lands including cap, but inevitably Jaddar catches up with me with their ruler general from out of LOS, who is disgustingly speedy and just crushes me. There aren't really even a lot a of mercs to use either, just 2 crappy bands.

This is already microing everything on speed 2 while using up all of my manpower and available mercs.

I'm hoping to do it now after catching up on tech and with the initial ruler gone - I managed to get another powerful mage ruler and they are only about +50% on development on me now. Also I have 2 loyal vassals to help.

e: The current situation, though keeping in mind this is restart 6 or something like that:

TL;DR: Basically I can't win a 1-on-1 battle against their initial ruler general with my war wizard without having about 2:1 in troops or so. If it's closer then they inevitably crush me on morale before I can kill them and with all their cav it's a stackwipe (it's also a stackwipe if I win to be fair).

To be honest I might be able to outblob him by conquering the forbidden plains, but that seems to be entirely against the mission tree.

e2: Maybe a better screenshot with the UI (I am building another 10k army):

e3: Did end up winning afterwards, also found out that yes, Jaher with a cav army is faster than a war mage with a harpy army. Zokka is easier because gnoll armies suck.

I really don't see it being reasonably possible without expanding north to be honest. Maybe on a previous patch, but dealing with the sun elves is really brutal right now.

Also it's really, really not a tall playthrough. You might get to do some development eventually but having to conquer all of Bulwar first is kind of quintessentially not tall. I'm already #6 world power in 1476 and am nowhere near done with it, also like 3 admin techs behind because of all the coring involved.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 11, 2024