Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Ingmar terdman posted:

He turns himself into a sandworm

Funniest poo poo I've ever seen

works on several layers because Leto II definitely needed therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Stryder posted:

Excited for every part of this. Love the shields. Love the new look of the worm, even if Lynch worms will always be iconic to me. Love seeing the 'thopters in flight, and it's exactly how I always imagined it. Loved seeing the Harkonnen/Sardaukar drop out of the sky.

hard agree on the 'thopters

Stryder posted:

There's a part of my brain that appreciates the Floyd as a callback to the fact they were originally supposed to score the Jodorowsky Dune. But the other part of my brain loving HATES the trend of remaking classic rock with piano/orchestral whispery/children's voices for trailers.

the other part of you is the mind killer

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

priznat posted:

Millions of sietches, sietches for free/
millions of sietches, all drinking pee

outstanding

also ffs is there any way to convince WB that producing the second film immediately will get it immediate cult status? like, come on. the long tail penetrates the box office

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Pham Nuwen posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the Honored Matres. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

lol for real

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Horizon Burning posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Jihad" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

the spice is wrong bitch

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
i'm gonna buy a Dune Encyclopedia's worth of theater tickets for this fucker because if we don't get Part II i will flip poo poo

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
this movie is gonna whip so much rear end and the second part will be even cooler

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

priznat posted:

I’m the turd worm

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the turd knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it will flush because it's ended here.'

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

skasion posted:

Films absolutely can contain long dinner scenes full of banter. There are films that are mostly dinner banter scenes even.

Where it gets difficult is doing that in a fictional universe or a setting where lots of the background knowledge of the characters isn’t shared by the intended audience. This still isn’t impossible though. What makes it impossible in this case is that the movie is being made for the approval of blockbuster producers who want a movie that tens of millions of stupid people will go to watch. Dinner scene goes the way of Bombadil for the same reason, it doesn’t “move the plot” and threatens to confuse people and therefore it’s gotta go so we can sell some seats.

a poster above you has very astutely observed that the point of the dinner scene is to relate the thoughts and experiences of several characters through straight-up omniscient narration that puts their internal monologue on the page. is there a way to film it? probably so, with glances and cuts and framing, and it might even be an interesting exercise for a creative director/editor. but would it serve the overall narrative and pacing of a film adaptation of Dune? probably not.

it's not a question of it being impossible either technically or within the context of the film industry and executive/upline money interests. i think (as others in this thread seem to, including the poster i just mentioned) that it is a matter of making choices that serve the medium. i understand the temptation to view that choice through the lens of cynicism, but my hunch is that cutting the dinner scene -- much like cutting Tom Bombadil from FotR -- was a sound, medium-appropriate editorial choice. if you think Fellowship whiffed on the source material for ditching Bombadil, or that a Dune adaptation can't work without the dinner scene, then i think you're missing the forest for the trees.

it's probably safe to assume that you love Dune, and want a good and definitive film version. i do too; especially whereas the last two attempts at filming it came across as kind of flat and goofy to me, in no small part because they seemed to try too hard to transliterate the novel 1:1 to the screen rather than truly adapting it for a visual storytelling medium. so, while i understand the motivation behind your cynicism here, i think it's peculiarly myopic and a little bit elitist to take the position that "audiences are dumb and profit motive exists, and that's why this movie doesn't capture every page of the book" rather than "this is a different medium, but let's see how well this adaptation captures the message."

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Fake James posted:

Say, Gurney and Chani, have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spiced out, B-B-B-Bene Gesserits
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bene she's really keen
She's got prana bindu, a sensing truth
You know I read it in a magazine, ohh-oh
B-B-B-Bene Gesserits

legit pissed off that i didn't think of this

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

THE BAR posted:

Well he'll never get anywhere near the Tleilaxu body horror show of 5-6, so that's saved for a future director. Surely.

i mean there's always a chance he'll have a cronenberg phase down the pike

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Riot Bimbo posted:

He's coming from having been in Children Of Dune and getting advice from a Farscape actress. The advice is sound in that arena and you all know it.

i for one would do anything that 1990s Claudia Black told me to. seriouspost

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
two weeks and twelve hours until my beefswelling makes row upon row of theater seats ripple and shake with atomic force

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

The Bloop posted:

Wanna see it at the Mugar Omni Theatre and have my dick blown clear off by the sound system

don't do it; the curved screen makes it just jarring to watch unless you sit right above the projector box.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

The Bloop posted:

I remember getting in line early to get those seats

I was a museum member decades ago and there a lot

yeah unless the film is reverse-fisheyed into "omnimax" format, you have to sit dead center and stare straight ahead. definitely wait on a flat IMAX screen. i think there is one at the Loews on Tremont unless i'm misremembering. sorry boston goons it has been a while

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

jeeves posted:

This film is going to baffle anyone who hasn't read the book.

Like... at least Blade Runner 2049, for how loving long it was, had a complete story. Also tits.

counterpoint: spoke to my Lithuanian friend who saw it last week while traveling, she had never read Dune or seen a previous version, has minimal interest in sci-fi, but absolutely loved it and her guesswork at filling in the blanks was basically correctly assuming the butlerian jihad, so maybe have some faith in people to like, watch a thing and get it? not criticizing you; i'm cynical as hell, but i also find that even a dim person who shuts up and watches a movie tip to tail will generally "get it"

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
got tickets for thursday at the nearest IMAX. going with a friend to house some italian food and a medically inadvisable amount of wine at a great spot right next door to the theater, and then gazing in giddy silence at whatever this is going to be

kull wahad

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

AwkwardKnob posted:

Just saw an advanced screening on IMAX with my cousin. It's an astonishing movie. Honestly I can only nitpick things here and there, and would have not hesitated to sit through another hour of it. Give me a fuckin extended cut, Denis.

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

I'm going again on Friday. So loving stoked. I'll think of more to post later but at the moment I'm kind of just blown away and overwhelmned.

honestly that word is so charged and so alienating for a huge chunk of US moviegoers that i'm not at all surprised at its omission, but i hope it gets into Part 2 once this one gets the hooks in (which it will) (and also Part 2 is happening, cynics be damned, global box office is already within $40 million of the Part 1 budget, let's fuckin gooooo)

e; $26 million to break-even yesssss get it

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 20, 2021

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I thought it had already more than broken even internationally?

i choose to believe that you are right and that the numbers i saw were outdated

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Riot Bimbo posted:

Girls be horny and folks its bad

"ABOMINATION," cried the forums, as a theater full of HB10s cranked their gom jabbars up to 100 Hz and explored the place goons dare not look

e: but for real i am disappointed with rob delaney for that lazy 1990s leo dicaprio Titanic take. like chalamet he was hot but also a very good actor. it's pretty spectacularly dumb to have beef with the concept of women (or anyone for that matter) finding him hot, especially if it gets in the way of enjoying his performances, which are always really really good. super big bummer because i think delaney is usually pretty funny, but that tweet is just gross on a bunch of levels

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 20, 2021

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Randal posted:

I would have liked one internal monologue, when Paul was tested. Think it would have been effective if we heard him reciting the litany against fear and didn't cut outside of the room

i honestly thought that jessica saying it outside the room and paul starting to mouth it slightly, then steeling himself against the test, was a really nice touch

for real though: they did it. they made Dune. the movie is Dune. go see it if you love the book. go see it if you love worldbuilding. go see it if you love movies in general. just make sure to see it on the biggest screen you can find. there are parts of this that are filmed at such angles and in such aspects as to make you feel dwarfed by the image, and allowing the size of the screen to reinforce it left me in awe several times

they nailed it. kull wahad

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
anyone who doesn't like this movie is an idiot or a contrarian or both

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

rndmnmbr posted:

Just please, please tell me they did the Baron justice, that he's not just that floating fat man.

can confirm. spoiler only as to the general characterization and how the baron is handled visually: his feet skim the ground and other surfaces when he moves, and there is a great effect when his suspensors activate. he floats directly upwards at times, but the dragging and skimming when he moves makes him feel at once otherworldly and anchored. he is played as wholly malicious.

Stryder posted:

Also, the sardaukar were awesome but it bugged me that they weren't disguised as Harkonnen during the attack. Like wasn't that THE ENTIRE POINT that they needed to be disguised so none of the Landsraad knew the Emperor was involved? Minor quibbles, though. So awesome.

I think they played up the lack of communication, and the inability of anyone to escape the planet, well enough that this plot point was dropped without any real loss to the narrative, and for a film audience i imagine it made the emperor's gamut much easier to understand. bankrupt the harkonnens, kill the atreides, and the emperor remains on top.

grateful that i saw this with someone who has never read Dune and has never seen any previous adaptations. they loved it, and picked up on every bit of nuance, including the fact that paul is exploiting the messianic myth, that the myth was planted by the bene gesserit, and that paul (and i quote) "is probably not going to do the kind of good they think he will."

i stand by my earlier comment that anyone who doesn't like this movie is an idiot or a contrarian or both. it's stunning. it tells the story in a nuanced and interesting way. it captures the spirit of the novel, but adapts it beautifully to the visual medium. calling it a visual feast would be a hackneyed understatement; it is a visual spice orgy

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Phanatic posted:

He says they take her apart like a doll, nothing about turning her into one. They tortured her, then they killed her, they didn't make some weird loving chairdog out of her.

says you. i choose to believe they sid from toy story'd her arms off and jammed them onto that thing

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

uber_stoat posted:

*points at spider gimp* "the tleilaxu made that. you don't know what that is? here let me explain! blah blah blah" *a collective groan rolls across the audience*

the difference between regular nerd and insufferable nerd is knowing when to keep one's pet pet theories to oneself

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

DebonaireD posted:

The date palm scene is to show that although water is vital to life, there are things even more important than keeping individuals alive, like keeping alive the dreams of a people. Theres a bit in the book where Kynes remembers the Fremen asking how long her project of changing the face of Arrakis will take, and she says hundreds of years, expecting them to wail in anguish, but they're just like, yeah ok.
Speaking of dreams, the moment before all the production company logos where someone says dreams are messages from the deep, has any movie pre-empted studio logos with in-movie content before?

some other folks have commented with examples of this type of preemption, but this is the first one i've seen that made everyone in an IMAX screening shut up and focus. it was comical...everyone heard the weird voice, stared at the blank screen, then down at the subtitle, and then just sat in eerie silence through the prologue. great mood-setter

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

uber_stoat posted:

PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB! PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB!

from a page or so back but still

PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

i too enjoy doing freshman freudian lit crit on everything i elect not to engage with in good faith. kull wahad

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Tree Bucket posted:

No, don't you see, the tweetsman is clearly smarter than ole Frank and has uncovered aspects of that work which escaped the author's limited awareness.

probably

sebmojo posted:

i mean he's not wrong

yeah but

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

jfc jumping on this post resurrection train because my god it's perfect

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Fuschia tude posted:

Baudolino? That's a blast from the past.

I see his eye for quality has not improved

“There is nothing better than imagining other worlds,” he said, “to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn’t yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.”
-Baudolino from Baudolino, and also basically Paul Dune from Dune

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Mister Speaker posted:

- Does Paul have a vision during the harvester rescue scene, in the book? That was a really, really cool narrative device, showing his nascent prescience and the callback to 'I recognize your footsteps, old man' before Gurney saves him.

i think Gurney is not the only approaching "old man" that Paul is recognizing there

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

hell yeah it's such a good moment

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
got tickets on Sunday for an IMAX showing tomorrow night, and my significant other has agreed to come with me even though she has never seen, read, or heard anything about Dune. i also know better than to geek out to her about it (or anything else really) so she's going in totally fresh

will report back with her comments

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
it is by wool alone i set my mind in motion
-peyton manning, paidishah emperor over the lanolinsraad, hocking a sick cable knit

i recognize your st togs old man
-paul knitreides

my planet arrakis is beautiful when the sun is low
-chani opening narration line for dune part I

this planet arrakis is deadly when the sun is high
-gurney halleck opening narration line for dune part II (if villeneuve takes my idea instead of behaving like a waterfat coward)

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Mister Speaker posted:

I think I've said this before but Chalamet really nailed that 'extremely bad trip' thing in this scene.

honestly made it incredibly uncomfortable and creepy-crawly (trip-wise), which was precisely "the right pitch" imho

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

kalel posted:

you had two chances at a drug metaphor in the dune thread and you blew both of them. turn in your crysknife and saliva on your way out

lol wahad

Anne Frank Funk posted:

worm who fart on him own dick, a wonderful worm

arrakis teaches the attitude of the pig - pooping on him own balls and saying: "now it's complete because look at it"

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 20, 2022

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Mister Speaker posted:

Ah drat, I stand corrected.

chapter and verse, too. that's a noble correction, there is great honor in it.

fremen/klingon overlap is pretty wild if you boil it down to speech patterns

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

euphronius posted:

Sacha b cohen would be the ideal fenring

Don’t be a hater you know it’s true

i still have such a bad taste in my mouth from the Les Mis adaptation that i can't bring myself to imagine him in a dramatic role for a long while yet.

i understand that i am holding the sacha responsible for the sins of the russell. can't help it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Jewmanji posted:

It goes deeper than usage of the word Jihad. It extends to the casting, score, the rest of the conlag. I agree it would be borderline malfeasance for the studio to put “jihad” in there, but it’s much harder to justify all the other issues that wouldn’t cause a stir with anyone.

but really if you wanted to get american audiences in particular to be like "wait a sec" about Paul then peppering that term into the script would probably get you there

and also result in theater shootings, but i digress

also: it should be pronounced "connie" and paul should be bobby hill. i am not accepting criticism at this time

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 3, 2023