Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I got 99 problems.
But a sietch ain't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I heard that when the Lynch film was released, theatregoers were given pamphlets that set the stage and established characters, like ultra-detailed play programmes. Is this true? It sounds pretty far-fetched but then again the theatrical cut does kind of just throw you into the plot, Virginia Madsen's creepy monologue aside.

I don't think so. I attended the SF Bay Area premier, at Zellerbach Hall on the UC Berkeley campus. We got a program, but it had very little text beyond lists of characters and such. Lol, there were four stills from the movie in it and none of them were in the cut we saw.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

it'll take a lot to drag me away from you
that's nothing that the Harkonnen or Sardaukar could ever do
I dream of rains back on Caladan
gonna take some time to turn this desert into paradise

:perfect:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dune: Genesis is worth reading just for the phrase "pot of message".

https://vasil.ludost.net/dunegenesis.pdf

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Asimov always felt like somebody who wanted to write academic polemics rather than fiction, and that's what makes his fiction both stiff and intriguing at the same time. And why filming his books would have been a travesty. But I was excited for an Asimov movie nonetheless.

I re-read the Foundation trilogy last year. It does not hold up well at all. The male characters are cardboard, and the women are worse. The prose is stiffer than the cardboard.

It's a classic, but not a timeless one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Only Heinlein thing I knew had been adopted was --All You Zombies-- which got called Predestination and was a pretty okay version of the book..
Considering the last news from the movie was in 2015 and there hasn't been ANY updates since, it's probably been canned - more as the pitty.

They did Puppet Masters in 1994. So so movie, but an actually really creepy book. I should re-read it to see if it turner terrible too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

exmachina posted:

The revolution was Capital-L Libertarian (for the times). But Heinlein recognized that these situations never last. And Hazel Stone calling a govt authoritarian might not mean said Govt is what you and I call authoritarian.

Yeah, "too authoritarian" for her encompasses a lot of things, including "failed her ship on inspection over Cr 50 worth of air filter spares".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I want the timeline where Dune was a standalone novel and Whipping Star got 5 sequels.

And Destination Void was made into a landmark film eclipsing 2001.

Better Skynet than Ship

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and most importantly The Cook, The Thief...

Yeah, he's good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Alia Shawkat as princess Irulan because the world needs more of her in our lives

I am fully behind this. She can pull off "academic princess" no problem.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

All those are pretty cool, but that's an awesome ornithopter.

"I'm gonna call a space Uber."
"Nah, I'll give you a lift in my owl."

That's amazing artwork.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if they'll be true to the book in how Jessica is basically the protagonist for the first half, and specifically notices when Paul starts to take charge of his own destiny.

Now I'm anticipating the backlash against a woman being the protagonist in a major SF blockbuster. gently caress.

But that's a good observation and they'll probably cut the first movie right after that scene.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Huh. I wonder if the MUDs are any good?

Is there a current MUD/MUSH ?

I was involved in the DuneMUSH & DuneMUSH 2 run out of the UCB CogSci department back in the day. I wish I knew then what I knew now about bash scripting.

C'mon, fess up... there has to be another DuneMUSH alumni in this thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

phasmid posted:

So are the Jorj McKie books.

I wish we'd gotten six of those, the Consentiency was an interesting place. Four of the Destination: Void books was a nice treat though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

I picked up a copy of The Dragon in the Sea at the local used book store, is it any good? there’s not enough nautical sf in the world imo

only other non dune Herbert I’ve read is the Green Brain and I enjoyed that

Dragon in the Sea, Hellstrom's Hive, Destination: Void, Green Brain, Whipping Star, and Dosadi Experiment are all superb novels. Personally, I'd rather have had 4 more Dosadi books and had the Dune series end after Messiah, but we're in the bad timeline so we got what we got.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's only 12 comments when I looked at it, and they all seemed pretty normal and fine except for this specimen:

The bolded part is some particularly galaxy-brain level thinking (clearly Herbert had access to the melange giving him foreknowledge of the 2016 election).

Also a part about Jews because of course there's a part about Jews.

This guy is just fantastically, hilariously, mega wrong. An almost perfect specimen of the stupidest possible human has crossbred with an anti-prescient to create MAGAman.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

If you find a copy of Doon, grab it because it's legit hilarious.

It's funnier than Bored of the Rings, which is a high bar to clear.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wsCxxyw4Zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wpuOc7SSSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMTybElVgk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

It's an 80s thing, I have no idea why. It's awful but endearing; off the top of my head I think Predator does it, too.

Yeah, that's 80s.avi right there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I guess Dune is built around examining the things we do to survive. The desert hawk eats carrion, the Fremen drink poop water, and the nobles have all their kanly forms to obey. Dune asks us to consider which of these we consider more or less good or disgusting, and why. Herbert keeps asking if ecological drives and pressures are tools for humans to use, or laws for humans to transcend, or an inescapable tragedy to which we can only respond by singing something sad with our baliset....
Meanwhile LotR was written by a WW1 veteran. Tolkien came from a civilisation that had also asked "what shall we do to survive?" and decided the answer was to spend half a decade funnelling a few million of their best and brightest into an industrial meat grinder, as efficiently as possible. The West's pursuit of power, efficiency, knowledge and order had culminated in a sixteen year olds coughing up their lungs as green foam in a muddy hole somewhere.
So Tolkien hunts for alternatives. He knows, in a visceral sense, that "survive" is not enough. Tolkien loves- well- the star and the soil, high transcendent beauty and the simple earthly happiness of eating a huge pile of food in a pub with a few friends. A civilization which has ceased to value these things isn't a civilization at all: it has become pragmatic and organised and powerful, aka, Mordor.
So I can see why Tolkien disliked Dune. There is no happiness in Dune. No one enjoys a meal (except for the baron, prior to his "pleasures") and no one finds the stars beautiful (except possibly Leto, once) and no one celebrates together (except for the Fremen, after murdering a bunch of enemies.) Dune's characters spend the whole book seeing through everything and wind up blind; it is a cast of Sarumans and Saurons.
I imagine Tolkien found Dune to be a 300-page exploration of what the trenches had already taught him: humans need more than survival.

I saved a copy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I dont know posted:

Yeah, it's explicitly mentioned that the hive makes sexual stumps out of both men and woman.

Body horror (or really any kind of horror) works best when it's deliberately vague and suggestive, rather then spelled out in explicit detail.

Body horror indeed. I'd stand in line to volunteer to hand-carry a backpack nuke into the hive. I've read a fair amount of horror, and the hive just inspires an existential loathing like nothing else. If it existed, I'd need to do anything to eradicate it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

Stranger in a Strange Land: Everyone should be loving everyone else as much as they can to save the world

Starships Troopers: If you don't serve your country you don't get to have a say in what it does

That's about right, his most consistent message was 'it's okay to gently caress whoever turns you on'. That's a good summary of Starship Troopers, but let's not forget The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress where the Loonies claim association with everyone on Earth's revolutionary holiday and end up with a tricameral legislature where the third house exists solely to review and repeal legislation passed by the other two.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah Hellstrom's kicks rear end.

One of the creepiest novels ever written.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

My guess is that he had something on the side but who knows.

He got way into Tantric sex magic, that much is obvious from the descriptions of the white light of ecstasy.

e. extremely shameful snipe

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 2, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
nws????????????

The exact opposite of a 'pro follow'. I hope the artist is making good money off of that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Based on what little I bothered with of the first novel, it's mediocre prose with occasional spikes into aggressively, throw-this-book, bad. But not bad enough to read it for laughs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Someone made a (sort of) shot by shot comparison of the DUNC trailer and the two previous iterations, and I thought it was pretty rad, esp. the WORM comparison shots, and I wanted to share this with my Dune posting pals :unsmith:

Nice !

This makes it look like they're more updating Lynch than acknowledging the SciFi miniseries. Can't blame 'em personally.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ironically, the violently disinherited scion of a noble house adapting to, and rising to lead, an insular indigenous people is an ideal character to be the audience exposition stand in. But then there's the whole "know your ways as if born to them" thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

!Klams posted:

Prove to me that Jeff Bezos isn't consuming staggering amounts of hard disks with bitcoins saved on them?

You're thinking of John McAfee.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ventral EggSac posted:

Yo mama so fat she flouted the Great Convention and had the Ixians build her a cart

Yo mama so fat, she has to fold space to go get her nails done.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is any of Frank's other works worth reading? I think people here have said before that most of his previous works were just building up to Dune.
Like, you see parts of Dune in each of his other works.

I've never stumbled across any of Frank's works other than Dune out in the wild. You just dont find vintage sci-fi out and about like ya used to.

Destination: Void and sequels are very good
Hellstrom's Hive is creepy as hell.
Whipping Star/Dosadi are a setting I'd have loved see see another half-dozen volumes in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Somewhat related, I've been watching The Handmaid's Tale and it occurred to me that Joseph Fiennes is like Jared Leto if he didn't totally suck.

The show is open to criticism, but the acting (and directing) is superb from just about everyone, and the leads more so. Every Emmy has been earned.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ElBrak posted:

*Twenty goons piss into a well, nearby Fremen gasp in awe and whisper among themselves* They give water to the stupid!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skasion posted:

You think that’s gross, you should read Hellstrom’s Hive

Hellstrom's Hive is easily Herbert's best standalone novel. The Hive is so goddamned creepy. Human enough that we can have POV scenes on the inside, but it's all so loving wrong. Every time I re-read the book, everything that tells me who I am, that tells me what I am, spends the entire book screaming in horror. It's the ultimate replacement nightmare, but so far removed from any merely human threat that the fascist tropes don't apply.

I would stand in line for the opportunity to carry a backpack nuke into the Hive

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

has anyone itt read any of herbert's non-dune books or series? my dad had one with books called destination void and the jesus incident that seemed to be mostly about ai and clones and an ocean planet called pandora. i tried it as a teenager but couldnt get into it

The Dune series isn't Herbert's best work. Dune itself is great, but Destination: Void, Helstrom's Hive, and Whipping Star just to name three are better that (at least) any of the Dune sequels. Destination: Void is a challenge to build a true AI or die, and leads into the Pandora cycle which combines ecology with spirituality the same way Dune remixed ecology and politics. Helstrom's is straight horror, and deeply effective at it; you get some proto-Tleilaxu poo poo like "reproductive stumps". Creepy as hell. Whipping Star is wonderfully bizarre, and has some short stories and The Dosadi Experiment as sequels; Dosadi is about an experiment in creating supersoldiers that succeeds too well.

When you give up on the Dune sequels, Herbert still has more of the good stuff.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skasion posted:

Also any discussion of crazy 20th c SFF authors would be incomplete without Cordwainer Smith, who was apparently perfectly nice personally but also a batshit insane propaganda master for the nationalist chinese

His godfather was Sun Yat Sen, cut the guy a break. During the Korean War he was writing propaganda leaflets that had phrases that sounded like "Duty, honor, country" in Chinese, but "Don't shoot" in English. Anybody who can do that kind of linguistic trickery is bound to be a little unusual.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

What the gently caress are you people talking about.

Really, really, strong post/avatar combo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

priznat posted:

can ya tie em in a knot?

can ya tie em in a bow?

Do they weigh an awful lot?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Found in the Memes Thread: