Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

On the subject of the Dune Legends series (the prequels Brian Herbert co-wrote with Kevin J. Anderson), I would agree that their definitely not "good" books. If you're a big fan of Frank Herbert, or his Dune stuff specifically, don't read them. If you're looking for a mildly entertaining book to read, the kind of thing that has building sized cyborgs destroying poo poo (which I suspect is probably Andersons influence), then go ahead. Their a lot more entertaining if you pretend their action stories that have nothing to do with Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also I haven't read the books but aren't the major behind-the-scenes bad guys an order of women-only ninja space nuns or something?

The Bene Gesserit. The major inspiration for which, if I remember correctly, was Frank Herbert growing up around a bunch of older catholic women.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Regarding the Jesus Incident. My first reaction after reading it was "Holy poo poo, Sid Meier must love this book."

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

It's been years since I read the original Dune novels, so I might be forgetting some details, but something I've been wondering. We know the goal of the Bene Gesserit breeding program was to create the Kwizats Hadderach (I have no idea if that's the right spelling), but why was that important? I mean, if we ignore all the Brian Herbert stuff, why did the witches want to create a superbeing?

As an aside, I really liked that the song for area five in Rez is called Fear Is The Mind Killer.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Well, it's mentioned that urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads, so I assumed you just poo poo down the legs of your suit.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Favorite Heinlein work is definitely The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I always loved how they used the lunar colony's cargo launcher (a massive coil gun, if I remember correctly) to lob giant chunks of moon rock at Earth.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

basic hitler posted:

My perspecrive comes from the choices of the narrator for heretics, who portrays them in an east asian accent. It kinda works though

I haven't heard any of the audiobooks but, in my head, Scytale sounds exactly like Wallace Shawn.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Turmoil posted:

Is that what gives the Honored Matres the orange in their eyes?

I just started Chapterhouse the other day.

I liked Heretics up until the last part where Herbert wrapped everything up quickly and sloppily.

Pages 1-460: Multiple pages to describe a room.
Pages 460-End: One sentence to describe a major event.

The Honored Matres use an adrenaline based drug to heighten their physical abilities, I think that's what makes their eyes orange.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I think they primarily feed on sand plankton.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Don Ameche, acting planet

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

This thread has inspired me to re-read the series. I'm partway through Heretics, and I noticed something that seems to have been entirely abandoned after Heretics. At least I think so. I mean, I haven't restarted Chapterhouse yet. The Honored Maters and the new face dancers aren't the only faction coming back from the scattering. There's at least a groups oppesed to the Honored Maters. After Burzmali rescues Duncan and Lucilla, the woman that helps them get into the city seems to be from a group that's trained to kill Honored Maters.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'm down with the idea of Marty and Daniel being facedancers. Assuming that's where Frank was going with it, I do wonder about how they were able to contact Duncan. I mean, as others have suggested, maybe they were facedancers that absorbed so many lives they became god-like. I was thinking it may have had something to do with whatever the Tleilaxu had done to this incarnation of Duncan. We still don't what all they crammed into his cells.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Time to make the gholas!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The Weirding Way is just punching straight through someone’s entire body

My fists are killing words!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Testikles posted:

Same about Leto II. Becoming a giant worm snd possibly remaining half concious among worm bodies for eternity is a hell of a trap

Which is kind of funny, when you think about it. Paul, the first person we ever see subjected to the gom jabar, ultimately fails the test by refusing to stay in the trap.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hear it sung to the tune of Felis Navidad.

We need a Dune musical. Walk Without Rhythm as an extremely ironically catchy tune.

You could have a big number where all the BG come out and sing "I'm every woman."

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Duncan

Mads Mikkelsen as Leto

Jake Gyllenhaal as Jamis

Olga Kurylenko as Chani

Would You Like To Know More?

I'd go with Mads as Piter, personally.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Patrick Stewart as a third stage navigator!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Avery Brooks as Shaddam

It just hit me. Avery Brooks as Stilgar.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

He could pull it off really well I think

E: maybe. The guild has an inhuman aftertaste he might not be able to convey. Not the kinda thing you can rely on effects to give.

Now that you mention it, I think he might be better as Count Fenring.

E: I can just hear the "hmmmmmmm, ahhhhhhhh" manerisms of Fenring in his voice.

Shaddak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 28, 2018

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is the turning into a reptilian thing really just from spice exposure? We see lots of people do a fuckload of spice, and the most that happens to them is they become a worm-person and that isn’t even because of the spice they did.

Like, wouldn’t there be talk of elder Fremen and Reverend Mothers looking kind of like ayy lmao aliens?

At the very least, Paolo would turn into a navigator after doing Lord Cybertrex’s super spice, right?

I mean, tne navigators don't just eat it, the literally live in it. Besides, I thought only particular people could become navigators, even with the mega spice exposure.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I loving well hope so.
I refuse to call him that.

That's at least a comforting sign that he'll do it right.
We'll see.

Speaking of casting suggesting as the thread has sometimes, I had the idea that Morgan Freeman as Thufir Hawat might be an excellent choice - Hawat is mentioned to have a seamed old face, and even the word storm-leathered is used. Yet for all that, he's also described as someone so imposing that even the emperor fears him, and Morgan Freeman fits the bill to a tee in my mind.

Speaking of leather faces, Lance Henriksen might work for that.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

With their magical mind controlling penis techniques

It's practically prehensile!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Gonna run out of empty wasteland states soon pls help

Minot

North

Dakota

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Meatbrick Punch-hard

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

102nd i think, unless their calendar is post bj (lol)

It starts in the year 10191, but I think they measure that from the formation of the spacing guild (i don't remember ifthat detail is the originals, or not). Who knows when the guild formed. So, somewhere in the 102nd, or further.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

As much as I wish Old Frank were still alive, I'm glad he didn't live to see how terrible an author his son is.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I've got it! The battle pugs were so awesome, they provided the genetic stock for all future chairdogs.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In that case she really shouldn't look like she's a well-worn 147 and never went outside a day in her life. She's Jessica's mother and managed to get Vlad all horned up, for heaven's sake.

Sure, that's true. I get the impression, though, that the BG can turn on the sexy just with body language (regardless of how old they look).

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I absolutely have that impression too, but character design has to be believable and I don't find Reverend Mother Gollum at all believable.

Fair enough. I was thinking more along the lines of some9ne consciously exaggerating their oldness.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Bautista just put this out on his instagram.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, I get it. I mean, I never really thought of him as Rabban Harkonnen. I normally think of him as Beast Rabban. Though, in recent years, I've had a tendency to rename him in my head after one of my recent Skyrim characters, Meatbrick Punch-hard.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Casting Dave Bautista will likely only further encourage that tendency.

Likely true. Meatbrick was basically a mix of Drax and Groot. A man who would beat everyone to death, but was so stupid he could only say his own name.

Getting back to Dune, I really like the idea of Feyd being the anti-Paul. In light of that, I kind of hope that whoever plays Feyd looks a lot like Timothee Chalamet.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Is that feyd?

That right there is a twisted mentat.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Temaukel posted:

I was bored today thinking about the Dune map. Arrakis seems to be ridiculously tiny, about the size of the moon, according to the distances in the map. The only way for it to make sense would be if the supposed 60º line was actually more than 80º (equivalent to northern Greenland). If Arrakis is actually the size of the moon (60º line being correct), then it would have to be almost 6 times more dense than the moon for it to have a gravity similar to earth.
Yes, yes, I know Frank wasn't a cartographer, but he supposedly paid one to make his map, so :colbert:

e: this is based on his notes saying the distance from Arrakeen to Carthag is about 200km

Something something space-folding

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Here, it's been retconned in the encyclopedia:

Earth, basically

Not that I expect complete accuracy but, that acceleration listed is .88g. Whereas, based on the density and radius, it should be .86g.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a nerd.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't get what you are saying. I never read the prequels and the original books are pretty clear that navigators have limited powers and are responsible of plotting a safe course through space and time (what computers would do before the butlerian jihad probably) ?

How would fast space travel be possible before the guild existed if only navigators can achieve it with spice?

There's no real way of knowing that, as I don't think Old Frank ever spelled out what people did for space travel before the guild (I may be wrong about that, it's been a few years). Although it's never explicitly spelled out in the non-existant prequels, Failson strongly implies that people had some sort of FTL engines (just i terms of travel times between planetary systems, that is).

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any instances in literature where an heir has taken the mantle of their parent's work and done it justice? Or is it failsons abounds?

Jerry Pournelles daughter wrote the third book in the Motie series. I don't know how well regarded it is but, I thought it was a pretty good successor.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's a third book? Time to start looking!

Released in 2010, I think. Definitely focuses more on social science (politics and religion) than the relatively hard sci-fi of the first two. I don't know if Jennifer Pournelle has written anything else, pretty sure she's an anthropologist. But yeah, I was just as surprised when I found out the book existed. It's called Outies, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ask not for whom the beef swells, the beef swells for thee.