Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

What's the Latin translation for "Save yourself from helpdesk"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scene: Larches' resume comes across the desk of the Personnel Director And Also Volleyball Coach. The director's hand reaches towards it, but another hand reaches out of frame to snatch it away.

Director: "Hey hold on, what are you doing?"

The nameless silhouette behind semi opaque glass chuckles darkly, and walks out. You can barely hear the murmur as they exit: "That's none of your concern"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in.

CX is inquiring regarding getting a job with the company.

Somehow this went up to the second level of escalations before someone said, what in the actual gently caress?

Our new call center is astonishingly awful. They've been distributing our internal phone numbers to customers to the point that my VP has gotten involved and it's not getting any better.

Gotta start distributing those SVP and other high exec numbers if you want things to happen

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Larches Industries: Professional Fan Cleaning.

:hmmno:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Larches' Professional Cleaning: What We Do Is Not Your Concern.

:hmmyes:

Arquinsiel posted:

The machine is yourself, as you will soon realise. What might get on a fan that would result in it needing to be cleaned? Possibly at high velocity.

I would honestly assume that it's less the fan that needs to be cleaned as it is everything around the fan in the splash zone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In summary, computer janitoring is a land of contrasts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Just needs FINAL USE THIS ONE

(2)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Have you tried giving them a lovely guilt trip about letting people down?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Or some form of new olympic sport involving yeeting a smartphone.

Spinning a landline handset by the cord then letting go before it snaps, for distance

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

unknown posted:

So here's the fun (horrible) scenario - client with contract who turns out is riding the line of what is/isn't CP (calls them naturalist videos), has been charged by police in the past and beat the charges in court.

Want to see your lawyer sweat under pressure?

Courts already defined it as not CP (even though it blatently was), so you can't use that as an out to cancel the contracts.

The silver lining: he finally stepped over the line publicly, cops got to charge him, and couldn't believe it when they found he was running a real store and even accepted credit cards and got his international client list with real names & delivery addresses because the customers thought he found the golden loophole.

To be fair, at least on this scenario people who paid for this stuff with credit cards were actually likely investigated (assuming the cards weren't stolen?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fragrag posted:

There was also that story of the goon who had a hole in the floor of his house and he would just stick his dick in it and piss

Excuse me what

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Did he electrify the steel beam?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zil posted:

Free of charge.

Well not exactly, but you know what I mean.

Did he electrify it or was it free of charge????? Come on, stop contradicting yourself!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Fool posted:

I run with avs off as well. There's a handful of people that I can recognize based on style/content, everyone else is the same person.

This but with avatars not names. I'll barely notice a name change but if you change your av you're basically an entirely new person to me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The opposite end of this happens as well. For reference, my resume is a solid 15 or so years of Android development, no server side work.

Unsolicited recruiter email posted:

<Volmarias> – I’d love to talk to you about an opportunity at DUMB_STARTUP_NAME - the startup bridging the gap between the decentralized crypto space and traditional financial institutions - allowing people to move between the two in a quick, safe and compliant manner.

The team at DUMB_STARTUP_NAME recently raised $20M seed and are seeking a Tech Lead to design and build highly available, resilient, and performant production systems that power financial services for a large number of end-users.
You will be implementing data collection and manipulation pipelines with security being at the forefront of how you design and operate these systems.

Here’s a quick overview of the role:

• Huge potential for impact on the global financial infrastructure
  • Wide exposure to the executive board which includes successful entrepreneurs and fintech veterans
  • Partner with leadership in scaling the engineering team which is planning to triple this year.
  • You will be one of the first senior hires on the team, so will build around YOU!
  • Generous compensation and equity - you will own a piece of DUMB_STARTUP to ensure you are rewarded for the great impact you’ll have.

I think your experience would be extremely relevant - if you’re passionate about financial inclusion and thrive in an unstructured environment, let me know when is a good time to chat!

Best,
DUMB_RECRUITER

Me posted:

"I think your experience would be extremely relevant" ok but it isn't so

Recruiter posted:

Hi <Volmarias>,

Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies if the position does not pique your interest.

I'm a 3rd party recruiter and always have opportunities across a variety of companies - feel free to reach out if anything changes on your end. Or, reply and let me know what your ideal next role looks like, and I'll contact you if I have a good fit.

Best,
DUMB_RECRUITER

:fuckoff:

I'm not going to do your job for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

I think I should get into IT recruiting. It must be nice to be able to be so completely loving awful at a job and still keep it.

So, about that last part...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I don't answer the calls and the numbers are mostly all blocked by Google already, but they still leave voicemails that I then have to listen to and delete. I'm on a Verizon prepaid plan so that means dialing in and having to wait for the auto attendant to slowly read out the drat phone number of the scammer before I can actually listen to and delete the message. So obnoxious.

Visual voicemail is transformative, spring for it if you can afford it, especially since it means you can just play the message directly and delete it after 5 seconds.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

devmd01 posted:

I still lmao about an email at a previous job where the network manager sent out to infra and basically the rest of IT stating that all applications going forward must be ipv6 capable. In 2010. Way to be forward thinking but just lol, lmao.

It's the only way to force things to move forward. Someone has to be the early adopter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

devmd01 posted:

I’m starting to ask in every interview if they have a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement they could send me, because I couldn’t find one on your website?

Their move.

quote:

Cock Punchers Ltd. has a strong commitment towards diversity, equity and inclusion. None of what we say is actually true, but it makes a great snippet to pass around. Did you know that one of our VPs is a minority? That's right, our COO Deepak passes well enough with us that he can be our token person of color to show how not racist we are. We also have a woman, too, I think? Or did she quit? I forget. We had the black lady from HR become our chief of Diversity. We don't actually do anything that she suggests, but it shows that we care about different, diverse voices in our community of upper class jagoffs.

I would not look at their Diversity Commitment Declaration or whatever the gently caress, I would look at how many people who do not look like me are actually there, along with what Glassdoor and the community at large says.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

I had this problem when I was looking for a new job a few years ago. Just silence from open positions that'd I'd be perfect for. Nothing for weeks.

You might be doing this already, but what I found moved the needle for me was to get one of those semantic tools where you put in your resume and the position description and it creates a matching score (like Jobscan). you can then tweak your resume to increase that score by including words/rewriting to the PD. Its total BS that you have to do this, but in the modern HR environment your resume doesn't get seen by a human until it gets through an automated system like this. I re-wrote every resume I sent out using this and it did improve my hit rate.

Pretty sure Frosty Witch mentioned that they got a ton of responses when they sent out resumes with their dead name, so, yeah. Less a resume issue and more a "stuck in the south for family reasons" issue.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I remember using one of those things for phone line connections 20 years ago. It wasn't good then, I cannot imagine it's gotten much better.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do they actually check that the panels are patched correctly?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A Frosty Witch posted:

Tomorrow is gonna be a poo poo SHOW lol

Inspection tomorrow:
"Yep, lights turn on, nothing caught fire, seems ok. Here you go."

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Inspection tomorrow:
"Yep, lights turn on, nothing caught fire, seems ok. Here you go."

A Frosty Witch posted:

lol the inspection passed

Called it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

I have to gtfo from $currentjob asap, our newest client as very actively anti-trans. Says something about how the company feels about me that I can't stomach

I hope at the very least you've told them you're going nowhere near their account, and if you're the only person who can help with something they can get hosed.

The Fool posted:

amazing that companies that make products that people actually buy are still doing ok

I thought it was mainly downlines desperately trying to escape their empty lives as house wives in Utah by buying a bunch of stock that other people do not, in fact, actually buy?
E: whoops wrong company

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 12, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whoops, struck through, thanks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mllaneza posted:

It's actually from someone who had their mind broken by Rackspace's lackluster completely inept response to a multi-day Hosted Exchange outage. They just want their email dawg.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jeoh posted:

Fanatical Support

:happyelf: