Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How did Justice League escape the unnecessary reboots list? It got rebooted while it was filming lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

will smith should've been living next to orcs not black "gangsters". in a world where we had an other like orcs racism likely wouldn;t exist.

I guess if you assume that the orcs all lived on top of the minerals white people wanted and the black people didn't live on top of anything anyone wanted

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Lovecraft and Tolkien are nowhere near the same level in terms of racism.

Tolkien was about as far from racist as a white man could be expected to be for the era he lived in. The dude wrote a letter to the Nazis telling them to gently caress off and he also regretted not presenting the orcs with more shades of gray (they were also never stand-ins for black people). Lovecraft would make Woodrow Wilson blush.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lots of Dixiecrats in the Deep South supported the New Deal; they just wanted to make sure that only white people reaped its benefits and hoped that supporting it would mean Roosevelt would leave the Jim Crow laws alone. :shrug:

And it largely worked. I wouldn't say that Lovecraft supporting FDR is an indication that he got any better.

When the Democrats actually started challenging the racists in their party, the party split in two and the New Deal imploded

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m shocked that a man who once married a 16-year old would be capable of this.

Shocked, I tell you.

15 i think

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Jockstrap is right

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

What. What origin did you think I was talking about.

What are you talking about it’s fairly clear.

Unless you're being pedantic?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not like they bowed to public pressure or anything.

Exactly. They made the snap call before Gunn could even try to do an apology campaign and get a pulse check of the public sentiment. This was a tempest in a teacup on far right websites at the time they pulled the trigger. And the public response to their approach has been mixed at best.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Green Goblin in Spider-Man is like Mr Freeze in Batman and Robin, being able to fill a YouTube compilation with his funny moments doesn't make up for the other two hours of the movie not being anywhere near as good or campy.

His Power Rangers costume still kicks rear end though. I remember people complaining that he wore a mask instead of having an actual goblin face when he transformed but considering how poorly the rest of the movies effects have aged can you.imagine how bad a cackling cartoon/puppet goblin face would look?

You can see the animatronic mask on Youtube, it looks awesome

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Someone managed to write that without the barest hint of Depp’s history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

asecondduck posted:

Most good, well-thought out fiction has internal consistency with the way magical or supernatural elements work. Star Wars does not. The Jedi have a bunch of powers that either do or don't work as the plot demands. Contrast that with, say, Lord of the Rings, where Gandalf is bested a few times, but never because his magic fails to work properly. Most superhero films get that right too.

Gandalf is able to use his powers of persuasion (his main power) to convince one king to get his poo poo together and go to war, but another king tells Gandalf to gently caress off and kills himself instead.

The plot justification is that the latter king is mightier and is therefore resistant to taking counsel and letting Gandalf worm his way into his decision making. Which isn’t so different from a Jedi mind trick working on a dumbass grunt in a fascist army but not on a savvy small business owner or head of a crime syndicate.

PS I know he is a steward