Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Errol Morris' The Unknown Film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

man you know i could go for a revival of lovely white guy karate movies

Scott Adkins already has a career though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Kind of blown away that in this conversation about ninjas, white guy karate movies, and Scott Adkins someone didn't immediately bring up Scott Adkins' two Ninja movies.

Ninjak 2: Shadow Of A Tear

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not a coincidence that Wonder Woman, the movie that spells out its themes, has been the best received. It's not coincidence that Winter Soldier and Civil War, that have their themes spelled out in extended shot-reverse shot dialogue scenes, are also really well praised, just as Nolan's were. This is going to sound snobbier than I mean it to, but a good chunk of the cinematic audience (or at least, a good chunk of people who theoretically know and write about film) are cinematically illiterate. And the funny thing is, all those films, except Civil War, had already communicated all their themes in other ways. They just also spelled it out.

How much of this is audiences not knowing how to interpret film and how much is the cultural mentality that these films, pop films, aren't deserving of close reading, that all they have to say is what they say in explicit terms? It's the mentality you see when people say "it's not Citizen Kane, it's just a popcorn movie", where some films fit a certain artistic mode and are "allowed" closer inspection, and some don't, and looking into those with a degree of granularity becomes pretentious or "putting too much thought into it". It's not that they're cinematically illiterate, it's that the way film, and art in general, but specifically popular art, is treated in modern consumerist society encourages a passive engagement rather than active interpretation. It's the same phenomenon that leads to people not picking up a book for years after leaving school: they're not unable or even unwilling to read, it's just easier not to.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

The man who turned Superman into an Objectivist Libertarian hero who murders billions of people with a massive smile on his face and then got killed by his version of the Batman who kills people for no reason, and in creating these versions literally defecated upon the graves of all of those who have written for both before?

Yeah hes alright actually. His films are good.

Wow hosed up that Zack Snyder got killed during the Beavis filming

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

His last words were "No, Henry, you moron! Like THIS!"

"Don't you remember, Batfleck? When I killed your parents? I flexed JUST LIKE THIS!"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mysterio is the best-looking Spiderman villain, not despite but because he looks like a dorky putz

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Fishbowl Mysterio or bowlcut Quentin Beck?

Fishbowl, obviously

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mother! is already a dark souls movie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Baby Driver is bad mostly because Ansel Elgort is miles below Pegg and Cera as far as expressing vulnerability in a convincing way is concerned, and the late-90s Tarantino ripoff level script doesn't help. Like if it weren't for Wright's ability to craft visuals, it'd barely be on the level of Mad Dog Time.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Corrosion posted:

Cognitive literary theory ain't good.

There's something sickening about that whole field that I just can't put into words.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

"I used to gently caress guys like you in the Phantom Zone!"

Superman vs Terry Funk, the faceoff of a lifetime

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now that's a character I want to see attempted again. I actually legit love the 90s movie.
Personally I'd be in for an adaptation of the Baker/Sienkiewicz/Helfer treatment.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ol yeller posted:

Finally unboxed this lil guy in all the hype. This movie is going to be amazing.

At least this has a distinctive mask, unlike all the other two dot faces.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm excited for Josh Brolin as Thanos if Benicio plays Silver Surfer and they have their Sicario dynamic

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Liking things is good for the most part, but there are unhealthy ways to like things.

In conclusion, liking is a land of contrasts.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

Constantine

Xealot posted:

I used to think it was unintentional, but Pain & Gain is a good movie that knows exactly what it’s doing.

So this makes sense, is my point. I agree.

It'll really depend on who does the script. Bay with a bad script is intensely dull.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Then there's Anti-Venom, who's just made of cum

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

aren't we all, though

Well we're made from cum, but we're mostly made of water.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ain't dat de troot', sho'nuff

It's halfway to Jar Jar Binks :allears:

Billy Crystal as Gambit

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Broke: Todd Phillips Joker Movie
Woke: Todd Solondz Joker Movie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Todd Haynes Joker Movie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I get it, CP. I get it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If anybody in that movie is Bin Laden, it's Chris Meloni

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Whatever your thoughts on Armond, more critics should have the audacity to have The Chronicles Of Riddick be one of their first comparisons in a review in 2018.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, he's certainly outspoken and confrontational in the way he expresses his opinions, but those opinions are genuinely held.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Buddy I'm impressed as hell by Gene Shalit, that hair care regimen must be intensive

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They oughta make a thread where people can talk about armond white takes that aren't about sequential art movies so we can get back to talking about the best sequential art movie, American Splendor starring Paul Giamatti and James Urbaniak.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

James Urbaniak, Billy Eichner, and Julie Klausner in a Netflix Great Lakes Avengers would be a treat.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Urbaniak and Klausner as Mister Miracle and Barda, obviously, with Gabourey Sidibe as Max Lord.

"Pumpkin patch, it seems I left my motherbox at the office before handcuffing myself to this nuclear missile, could you please get it for me before I, well, get disintegrated?"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Turns out this thread is the best comic book movie of the year. What a rollercoaster.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Guess he was too busy smoking weed-on

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

You don't get to watch very many movies then if you can't figure out why someone would wear protection when fighting Superman.

I don't remember the Bat-condom scene.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gregg Araki's Doom Patrol

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The lead particulate is actually to give Superman super-brain damage.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Black Panther 2: The Emoluments Clause

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Americans have trouble realizing the CIA is one of the vilest organizations in recent history.

Edit: Imagine a movie depicting heroic Al-Qaeda agents.

It's called Rambo 3

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chris Evans can't become Ewan MacGregor no matter how hard he tries

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

(REM voice) Stan in the place where you live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Dave posted: