Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The sad thing about Gambit is that if Channing Tatum didn’t have such a boner for the role, could have concievably been up for Shazam/Captain Marvel, which would have been perfect. I would absolutely buy him playing a kid inexplicably trapped in the body of a neigh-invulnerable superhero imbued with the power of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Curious how they do Venom without Spider-Man. I mean, a lot of the character's design and abilities are directly drawn from the symbiote being bonded with Peter Parker. It's gonna be kinda weird if a sentient pair of pants decides to slap a spider on its chest and go web swinging for no reason.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The Cameo posted:

The symbiote is in a tube in a van in the teaser itself, though

It also looks like something crashed to earth in some of the shots, so at the very least "alien thing lands on earth and attaches itself to a host" is what's the origin story here. They're just slicing out the "attaches itself to Peter Parker, slowly tries to corrupt him, Peter rips it away from him and it finds Eddie Brock as a new host" and going straight to "it ends up on Eddie."

The big change seems to be that they've moved everything to San Francisco.

The Lethal Protector storyline, which it seems like this is drawing on, sees Eddie Brock move from NYC to San Fran. Obviously in the comics that happens after he gets the symbiote, though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My favourite part of every new superhero movie announcement is when fans immediately identify which storyline of which series is being adapted, down to like the individual issue.

Like oh poo poo; it’s set in Buffalo, NY! That means it’s the storyline of Pupular Peter Parker where Spiderman transforms into a dog and has to learn to live without his powers or human speech but then it’s revealed that Mysterio has merely used elaborate special effects to make Spiderman believe he’s two feet tall / quadrupedal until the end when MJ notices Peter’s new habit of sleeping at the end of the bed. You can see by the colour of his jacket in this promo shot that Spiderman is gearing up to say the fan-favourite line “doggone it! I have a bone to pick with Mysterio!” I can’t wait to finally see it happen, after all these decades.

But some parts are unfamiliar... Mysterio’s feet don’t look how I imagined they would look.... Looks like the clowns at Sony are gonna drop the ball again, but I’m optimistic.

wow how crazy that people would discuss what source material an adaption could potentially draw from like whooooa guys hold on now

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I took it that the color suit was like, a ceremonial suit. It's not the black suit worn on the council, and it's not the armored suit worn for war; it's a vibrant symbol, even to Krypton itself. I think that meshes quite nicely with what Superman is supposed to represent as a whole.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The opening is especially jarring because it is so completely differently shot, written, and acted from the style that was set up in MoS and BvS. Good or ill, that Superman was an established character with a specific voice. The first impression is so different it almost feels like it would have been less noticeable if they just had entirely recast the role. Given how much fretting the studio went through to make everybody happy (while ultimately making nobody happy), part of me is almost surprised they didn’t.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

“Hey you think maybe we’re oversimplifying the reality of historical events in favor of painting a more binary, and therefore easier to digest conflict?

Well anyway, here’s the new Mr. Potato Head tie in.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Thomas Haden Church said he was in a secret superhero movie filmed last year. The only clue he gave was that it's not in "the Marvel world". That could mean anything: a WB/DC adaptation, that Hellboy movie, a Valiant movie Sony have been trying to make, an adaptation of an indie comic or book etc. If meant "not in the MCU", that might include an X-Men movie or even Venom as well.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/thomas-haden-church-talks-divorce-spider-man-3-a-mystery-comic-book-role-117

Could you even imagine if while trying to stop Thanos' doomsday machine in Infinity War, Peter Parker gets badly injured and has a ghostly vision of Uncle Ben as played by THC? He's not too terribly older than Marisa Tomei, after all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

lol remember when Bruce Wayne couldnt show up on Smallville because it would have “confused” audiences, with Nolan’s trilogy being in full swing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

In this completely tone-deaf page, Spiderman villain Morlun brutally murders the characters from children's cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Everything that can happen is happening at all times in Comic Book Multiverses and it's all loving stupid.

How many writers have died on the “I can salvage Morlun” hill?

‘Cause it feels like it’s gotta be a higher number than you’d think.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oscar Winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome, Men in Black and many, many more) has unveiled his take on the Joker for DC's Collectibles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rick-baker-remakes-joker-halloween-bust-1084759

Curious that this is unveiled when the news about Phoenix hit up. But probably that is just me seeing things. Either way, cool design.

I like Baker a lot, but I’m not feeling this. It looks like something from the music video for Genesis’ Land Of Confusion.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Something I can’t quite square is what a stand-alone Joker movie would even be about. The character is kind of inherently designed to be a mirror to others, and with the nature of his deliberately vague origin, I’m not sure what kind of narrative you would build. I guess maybe like, a Gotham-set Scarface?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

still think Crispin Glover being crazy would be amazing

Bold choice shooting the film in a documentary format.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Herzog for Professor Pyg, pls.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

how about we don't use Professor Pyg at all in anything, ever

because he's a lovely loving ~edgy~ villain that somehow escaped the 90s to debut in like 2007-2008

Somebody’s not gonna get an invite to PygCon 2018.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i just don't really vibe with the idea that legitimately horrifying serial killers fit as comic book villains. i have similar beef with Mr. Zsasz and Black Mask, though they're at least not quite as OTT in how horrific their MO is; meanwhile, it's straight up canon that Pyg mutilates the genitals of all his victims

like, it's just loving jarring to have Batman go from fighting the Riddler and Clock King and Calendar Man to fighting a guy who kidnaps people and surgically alters them into "dolls" by cutting off all their identifiable bits and sewing a featureless mask on them

Ehhh. I get where you’re coming from, but we’re gonna have to agree to disagree. Batman’s been melding fantasy/sci-fi with real-deal nitty gritty for a long time. I mean, Batman: The Cult came out in ‘88, and that’s essentially about Batman getting brainwashed by an underground cult of homeless serial killers. If anything, that kind of indulgent tone is one of the things that defines the character, especially when you view it as the last true pulp hero.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Back when the New 52 kicked off, Grant Morrison had an interesting approach to Superman with his “t-shirt Superman” run, and that was that Clark Kent didn’t start as the version we know, but became him over the course of traveling and interacting with people. It was a comic specifically about not being the ideal protector of earth, but growing into that status through failure and learned experience. Nolan spent three whole movies deconstructing Batman as a symbol, and yet a lot of people still believe that the same work can’t be applied to Superman, because he lacks the “depth” to explore those themes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It's a dumb argument because there have been good Superman stories about that.

There are tons of Superman stories about that. I don't like all of them by any means but it doesn't matter if you're talking about Secret Identity or American Alien, they exist and have exist for a long-rear end time.

Preach.

And I actually think that the so-called “Superman: Year One” narrative is more compelling than most, because the climb from a fresh-faced farmboy Clark Kent to godlike moral avatar is such a steeper climb than Batman’s revenge journey. When those stories work, they work because seeing Superman fail out of inexperience or brashness weighs so heavily against the rock-solid personification of good that he eventually becomes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kind of. My original point was that there is a fairly common read that Superman is boring because he’s a boy scout or milquestoast or whatever. In fact, those reasons are genuinely compelling, because it’s impossible for someone to just start at that place. Like Superman getting to the point of being, well, Superman is a journey unto itself, never mind all of his adventures that follow.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I appreciate Armond White in the same way I appreciate the dude in the Statue Of Liberty outfit flipping an arrow sign outside of a tax return joint: you make the drive interesting, but I'll be hosed if I'm going to stop and put my well-being in your hands.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about the new jumanji, but I'm still skeptical.

It's a super solid Saturday Matinee, and gets more mileage out of the concept than I originally expected them to.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Batman immolates a dude with the batmobile’s turbine and stuffs dynamite down the pants of another in Batman Returns in the span of like, ten minutes, and both are played as gags. Murderbats on film ain’t nothing new. Unfortunately BvS was intended to kickstart a “definitive” cinematic adaption of the comic version character, which has traditionally been presented as having a very different set of morals.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's Something About Barry

Well, this thread’s peaked.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

josh04 posted:

Unrelatedly, today in 'shots that probably weren't originally composed like this':

That looks like some Deviant Art Poser 3D poo poo.

Why are their stances so stilted?

This movie cost money, yes????

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

I still cannot fuckin' believe how lovely Steppenwolf is.

It's like they went out of their way to choose the worst sub-tier Mortal Kombat miniboss design they could come up with. It is a completely blank slate of design, and particularly galling considering how awesomely bonkers bananas Steppenwolf looked in the BvS deleted scene.

"Master storyteller" Joss Whedon couldn't crack "rad girl Batman who's father is JK Simmons," aka "It Kind Of Writes Itself: The Movie."

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 23, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

Reminder that the original concept art for Steppenwolf in JL was extremely similar to what we saw in BvS but WB execs thought he was too scary.

WB Exec: Hmmmm.

[Turns "Scary" dial down to "0"]

[Turns "British" dial up to "10"]

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

I used to think that Ultimates 1 and 2 were good but I think they've aged incredibly poorly

Like, "what if Captain America....but bad" is so awful in retrospect that I'm a bit embarrassed that I ever liked it

Ultimate is what got me back on “mainstream” comics after a long hiatus, and for that I’ll always give it props, but it absolutely has aged terribly. It’s pretty hard to root for outright cynicism, and it’s an incredible insult to ask the reader to root for conservative douchebag Captain “Do You Think This Letter Stands For France” America and wannabe-rapist Hulk. Mark Miller has written one truly good thing, and that thing is Red Son. The rest of his catalogue is tryhard Garth Ennis fanfiction.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The ultimate irony is that Nolan’s trilogy, Batman ‘89, and Donner’s Superman has already distinguished DC as being the home of “prestige” comic book adaptions. I mean, the latter two and TDK are inarguably important films in the annals of American pop culture. If they had just allowed Snyder to do his thing without meddling, it’s very possible we would have gotten another one before he was done. Instead they abandoned their own realm of success to challenge Marvel on their own turf and got promptly dunked on because they hadn’t come with the right preparation. There’s another universe out there where Snyder was allowed to finish out his own MoS trilogy on his own terms without forcing it to end in Justice League, and as lukewarm as I am on BvS, I would have much rather seen that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Interesting. It doesn’t look all textured to hell. Looks more like the Reeves Superman costume. I... kind of dig that. It suits the character.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I was interested in New Mutants originally because it seemed like it was going in a cool direction. But pushing it back a year, extensive reshoots and adding a completely new character? I have basically no hope it will still turn out decent after all of this.

New Mutants seems to be residing in full-on panic mode. Whether that’s because the current state of it is trash, or because Fox doesn’t know how to sell an X-Men horror movie remains to be seen, but given all the nonsense involved at this point I hold much optimism for the finished product.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Phylodox posted:

I think the height of Smith’s artistic output was Chasing Amy. It seemed the most personal of his films, and genuinely seemed to be trying to say something beyond all the dick and fart jokes.

But I haven’t seen Red State or Tusk, so maybe those are better.

Red State is a really compelling concept that is absolutely wasted in its execution. It was the first time I really felt Smith was exposed in being out of his depth, which is a shame because the set-up is extremely fertile ground, but its potential never gets capitalized on. The ending is particularly egregious because it toes the line of doing something really ballsy, but then almost immediately doubles back and plays it safe.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

She’s actually not a terrible dramatic actress, surprisingly. No idea who she could possibly be playing, though. Cheetah, maybe? I can’t quite see it, but who knows? There was a time when it was pretty hard to see Chris Pratt as a strapping man of action, too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Thing about that is, I'd rather have watched the film he would have made, warts and all. I don't think he's a genius or anything, just a really good and thoughtful director in a field generally considered not worth thinking about. The what could have been is frustrating because he actually had some drat idea of what he wanted to do and it wasn't just making Save The Cat: The Movie with everything that didn't test well getting cut out.

This exactly summarizes how I feel about Snyder and Justice League as a whole. I don’t necessarily agree with Snyder’s vision of these characters, but I respect that he had a vision, and he should have been allowed to realize that vision to completion (assuming the trade talk is true and he was indeed fired). Even if his Justice League has turned out as just a big of a train wreck was what we actually got, at least it would have been his train wreck.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I mistakenly read this as “alarmy stock photo,” and I was like, yeah.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

Has Krypton premiered yet?

Premiers on the 21st. To be honest, I didn't even really have it on my radar until I saw how utterly pitch-perfect fantastic Brainiac looks.

As for Snyder, the lead smoke might not make any sense under scrutiny, but it's the textbook definition of dumb-poo poo comic book logic, so I'll give him props for even putting that much thought into it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Thing is, he wasn’t CIA in Civil War. He was part of some black ops Tom Clancy counteterrorism outfit. Making him explicitly CIA was done specifically for Black Panther.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Phylodox posted:

According to Wikipedia it’s the CIA's Joint Counter Terrorism Center.

Hm. Must have misremembered. My memory had it as something more vague and not specifically linked to any agency.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

On the same note, although it should never be taken as indicative of what’s in the final movie, a LEGO set for Infinity War shows the Iron Spider suit having the six metallic arms from the Civil War comics. Makes me wonder how much of the VFX in the trailers were monkeyed with, like how Thor had both eyes in the comic con version.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’m down. She really showed some real dramatic range in The Skeleton Twins, so I’m excited to see what she does here.

(Assuming we don’t get the female equivalent of The Riddler from Batman Forever, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The MSJ posted:

...by Zeus, who transforms into a 13-year-old girl.

No, he hasn’t told Diana where he went.

In other news,
https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/972236823937409032

I absolutely adored Logan, but every other X-Men movie just kind of inspires a "man, I guess so" response to me. Kind of funny to see how far we've come from black leather, though.