Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Larry Parrish posted:

Why are people asking their grown rear end man toy about religious concepts

cause they be hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Thems' fightin' words

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

nah posted:

robot Uber driversheroin dealers will probably wind up killing less people than human Uber drivers heroin dealers.

Can't sentence a robot to death tho. Not because it's unsatisfying to Trump, but because

It's property.
Belongs to a company. Can't have Government hurting companies in our lovely future now can we?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/979560730839089152?s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

It's April 1.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Jose posted:

that tweet is from 4 days ago

:stare:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Are you rich?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Read the description of the anime.

:psyboom:

There's not enough bleach in the world to clean that away.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Solar panels are dependent on rare earth metals right? And they are made in China?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Flowers For Algeria posted:

yeah texts are pretty cool, so are calls and emails.

As are pennyfarthings, Atari 2600 and Nokia 3310

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

what is an mcas cycle

It means how many times the MCAS system on the Boeing 737-MAX8 kicked in and overruled the pilots, and thus proceeded to point the plane straight into the ground.

20 times the pilots fought the mcas system. The 21st time,

the air ran out.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I used to live in the island nation of Malta, where they set off gently caress off fireworks almost every day for 6 months. They do it as a 'catholic celebration', and they specifically choose them for sound, not pretty lights. Since they do it in the day you cant see them anyway. The island is mostly city and mostly built out of stone, so the explosions echo like a warzone.

I used to work nights.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

you think the knights of malta had an easy time sleeping through the ottoman bombardment? man up

Yea but -they- deserved it. Bomb the elites :colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Robot doesn't have a gun. Frankly, that alone makes it not dystopian.

But the fact that that isn't dystopian... is loving dystopian

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Alternatively, creating an entire generations worth of panic attacked foulmouthed asocial gamers who wouldn't win a war against vietnamese people. (Also.)
Honestly I think we are all still underestimating just how good the Vietnamese are at this.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

American capitalism. Don't bring us euros into this, our capitalistic systems werent the ones who decided that the rich didn't need to pay tax.

:agesilaus:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Welp, guess we'll start building Bofors cannons again

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

the army has anime swords they know what the Naruto run is

Air. Force.
Very important distinction. All air forces everywhere are nerds btw

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it also lines up with me personally, in that certain types of creative people drive me up the wall for no real good reason other than i hate "loose" explanations that i have a sick compulsion to overanalyze.

Friend, it's going to be much easier once you realise those arent explanations, like, at all

Those are made up justifications for the lies they told you earlier.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

In my experience it's the difference between reloading a rifle in 30s instead of muscle memory 3s, compared to not being able to reload it at all. Having the knowledge is even more noticable if it's jammed up on you.

something something, very dangerous to not limit access to the real rifles in the future if the mass murderers are going to be better trained.

On the other hand, we have realistic car simulators as well. Nothing inherently evil with virtual stuff... seems like we have a problem, ne?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Kept hearing about that blink182 guy and the alien footage or something so i searched youtube for 'fighter jet alien footage' to see that video again and holy poo poo when did youtube become like this with all the results for poo poo being lousy with news corps? These are the results for pages:

I also tried in a private window to try and prevent my previous searches from affecting the results. poo poo is disgusting and dystopic

The good news is it's only U.S. news corps. Meaning you can still emigrate to Canada or wherever and get away from this specific insanity. In a way. In theory.

The internet makes you stupidTM

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Que the new supremacy of BARF, the Chinese toy gun that shoots foam darts -without drm-

what the hell did i just write

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Gamifying anything is inhumane. It all belongs to the person in power who want to control the poor ones who are their subjects.

poo poo should be illegal on grounds of basic decency, if not human rights or equality. And yes, this includes children as well god damnit!

Fake edit: let games be games. You can punish bullies with better means than controlling everyone with rules and the incessant rules-lawyering that follows. Like gently caress-a-duck this pushes all my buttons labelled "no rulers, no masters"!

ThisIsJohnWayne has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Sep 28, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

like if kids enjoy and the only people who actually care are middle aged dudes I think you have a problem

Hey fellow middle aged dude, guess four times what I thought about the rules and the bullshit at the time I was a child in school. I cared then, and surprisingly I have the same unchsnged opinion decades later. School should be free from this.
Add to that, I went to school in Scandinavia and possibly had a much less restrictive environment than you had. It was still enough for me to disagree with.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Given just how lovely school is from the perspective of an adult honestly adding one more indignity to the whole experience is just a drop in the ocean. I'm sure some things that were lovely when I was in grade school aren't done anymore and horrible new ones have shown up but it all comes out in the wash. Lest we forget there's the constant threat of being mown down by machine gun fire, I'm not sure the attention marble app is the worst thing about school these days.

This, but imagine a child not liking or wanting to accept the indignities. Plus, school shootings... how to even begin? The US is not like other school systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

One thing to keep in mind when you’re comparing your school experience to today is that almost everyone on this forum was raised in an era before smart phones existed.

Meanwhile the kids in school now cannot remember a time that they didn’t have 24/7 hour access to them and their addiction to them would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. I watched a teenager yesterday have a complete meltdown after his phone was confiscated by the principal, complete with bawling, screaming, and punching the ground.

Almost all these micromanagey type bullshit things are an attempt to keep kids away from their phones because if given the choice they will do absolutely nothing but sit on them all day, spurning human interaction.

The bathroom thing probably spawned from kids disappearing into the bathroom for large chunks of time to use their phone. In my classroom I have everyone place their phone in a little holder thing where they stay until the end of class. Before I implemented this policy almost every kid would leave to go to the restroom at some point during our 45 minute period (I don’t restrict using the restroom). once they couldn’t take their phones with them almost no one goes anymore.

When I was entering teaching I had lots of strong feelings about how classrooms should be run based on my own experience of being treated like a prisoner when I was in school. Having been in the profession for a bit now I’ve realized how difficult changing the overall culture can be. By the time the kids come to me they’ve spent years in overcrowded classrooms being treated like a prisoner and that is a hard mentality to overcome

Now this I respect. Thanks for the insights Warcraft, thought provoking.