Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'll buy this because I'm a sucker who doesn't understand the value of a dollar, but I think it's weird that there's nothing on Steam for it but it's in the Xbox Live console games store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hambeet posted:

because they're not distributing via steam at this stage, just their store and xbox live and ps4 online or whatever it's called

Yeah I did some googling around after I posted and found that out too. I don't know why they would pass on the opportunity for so many more people to buy based on name recognition. Having to seek a game out through the publisher's own store is a surprisingly large impediment to a lot of people.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

hambeet posted:

yeah, but people kept saying that about origin and people still buy battlefield games on pc. it'll be fine. it's probably just some dumb decision about them wanting to charge for mods themselves OR avoid the refund stuff steam has.

I was thinking it had something to do with wanting to avoid the volatility of Steam reviews. They'd have to offer refunds in some capacity; Steam got forced into it because of either EU or Australian consumer protection laws.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Credit where credit is due though, Bethseda is basically saying "we've never done anything like this and we know the bugs are going to be new and exciting and probably NUTS" which is true and very fair of them to acknowledge in advance. It sort of reads like someone got a bee in their bonnet to make an open world survival fallout game so they just made it because they could, which I kind of respect.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, beta goes live at 7pm eastern. Should be good for a few laughs tonight at least.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently some people have been having login troubles?

It doesn't launch until 7pm, so that checks out

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I dunno guys, I feel like I got my money's worth out of Conan Exiles, and this is pretty similar except Fallout flavored and with broken combat ai for mobs, weird almost-pvp, BethSoft scale bugs, and no clear design direction. Maybe it'll be okay in the end :shobon:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel weird for defending this, but I remember a time when beta testing was exactly what Bethesda is doing here. Alpha testing you do internally in development. For the beta test a specific group of people is given access to a piece of software, generally for a specific period or amount of time, then the company takes a few days to compile data from that usage. Then you implement fixes, and then do it over again.

I'm not saying that using pre-orders for your selection pool is a good way to set up your beta - especially since "beta test" has become synonymous with "early access as a pre-order incentive". But in as far as what a beta test actually is supposed to be, I can't really fault Bethesda for the way they have structured this in intervals.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gort posted:

There's nowhere near enough time for them to do any proper fixes at this point. It's just a way to get people hyped for the game 'cause they didn't get enough time to play it until it started to grate.

I agree that there isn't time to actually fix (many) things, unless they rebuilt their code out of the spaghetti monster it always has been. But I think that given the limited amounts of time available, pattern of progression required to "expand", and expansiveness of the beta testing segment they could get really valuable data for what needs to be fixed in specific chunks of content. If that's what they're doing, I'd prefer the game be launched without needing an endless stream of bugfixes to make it playable as much as anybody. But I respect at least taking the right steps to support and refine the game when that's not the case.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Donovan Trip posted:

All good reasons to buy in a year

Agreed, totally. Now that I see the structure of how they're rolling the game out and refining it basically as they go, I don't have the pre-order bug. I don't want to be hype for the game just because it's Fallout, but I want to give it a fair shake assuming that the developers are interested in making a good faith effort at making a game that I might have fun playing. I think that if you treat a pre-order or early purchase as investing in the development of the game and having the privilege to play before it's done it could be worth it (depending on how much you value your money and time).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

pyrotek posted:

You can get a beta key on dodgy cd key sites for like $2.

Sweet, my preload got erased, and instead of downloading at 80MB/sec like I did the first time I downloaded it I'm getting a sweet 1.67 now. This beta is going to be fantastic.

I was just coming to post that the download I left at my cap of 10MB/sec an hour ago seems to have stagnated to 1.5MB/sec - and has dropped to 1.1 and falling in the time it took me to type this. Download server infrastructure BETA successful?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
lol I'm down to the last .05 GB of download and slowing at a rate that has kept it saying 30 seconds remaining for 30 seconds. Super stoked for it to delete itself when it finishes

e: finished as I finished posting, let's see what happens when "installing" is done!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Akion posted:

"Uninstalling. You'll thank us later."

It's on an SSD and at 50% installed and just sort of hanging out there now so I'm anticipating you're correct

e: lol with 0 i/o on that drive right now too

e2: reset itself to 4% but at least it's ticking up again?

Bethesda: if you're having problems open a ticket here:

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 31, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
fuckin' lol I got sick of the install status resetting itself so I just launched it out of the application directory and it worked

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
because I have a controller on my computer (that I don't want to use) I have to use the controller to change to keyboard controls whenever the game launches

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how did you do this/had your install bar actually fill before this happened?

it had not filled, was stalled at 14% after restarting itself a bunch. I just went to the install directory, double clicked the application, and off it went. The launcher status changed from "installing" to "running". I've been through restarting it a couple of times now, launch from the launcher after that, changing graphics/controls settings. just post character creation now.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
crutchley's animations playing at 5ps, game running around 60ish. ok, sure

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I kind of like how they use really aggressive DOF to hide the LOD

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GI_Clutch posted:

I think my biggest concern right now is the navigation controls. It's a weird rear end mix of mouse and keyboard. Sometimes WASD does stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can use the arrows instead or the mouse wheel. Sometimes ESC will take you back, other times it feels like you need to hit Tab. Or you need to hit specific keyboard keys to do things. I was so confused when I tried building things. WASD to move, arrows to move through the menus, mouse clicks rotate the current object, and Z and C (I think) switch through variants.

It really feels like they just tried mapping console controllers haphazardly to the mouse and keyboard.

Maybe Fallout 4 was like that, but I've only played the VR version.

no, that weird mix of control functions is new and dumb for sure

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Well, it's definitely Fallout 4 multi-player mod edition. Only having a couple of hours to fiddle with it, I can't really say much more than that. It's not bad, but it's not $60 good either. As noted already, there's plenty of "lol gamebryo/bethesda" going on. Maybe wandering past flatwoods in the next BETA session will captivate me more, but for now I'm just seeing some pretty scenery (and for real, I'm impressed with how the DOF hides the LOD, it really makes the visuals pop on screen even if it could be better implemented) and shooting a pipe gun which isn't scratching an itch that playing FO4 again for a few hours can't scratch.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tenzarin posted:

Really I'm up for anything to not have to play fallout 4 anymore.

Here's the thing: it's definitely still Fallout 4 but with new set dressings and less active storytelling via quests. For at least the first few hours, at least.

Also default voice chat is just open and loving hoooo buddy do you need to turn that poo poo off

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Regarding framerates, I noticed NPC animations played at like 1 FPS while the game was running around 45 FPS in borderless windowed , but everything capped to Vsync in fullscreen. Anyone else notice that?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Piell posted:

They've never ever been good at fixing poo poo in their games, aren't good at it now seeing at the poo poo in the beta, so how would they magically get good at later?

This my primary concern for the game, long term, along with a shallow gameplay loop. It looks like fallout with autumn colors, but it plays like a more shallow Rust and from a company with a very poor track record for addressing problems.

Also gamebryo, lol

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Do they actually have a beta feedback forum buried somewhere, or are they relying on reddit and social media to see what people stumble into?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tei posted:

No,no.. making grass grown in the desert it the miracle. This engine is a truck filled with rum colliding with a train transporting coca cola. The president of cuba escaping from their country and hiding on a white house closet, asking for residence. Trump receiving Obama certificate and finding Obama is his biological father. A piece of poo poo gaining sentience and asking the rear end that naturally give it birth "please don't abandon me!".

are you ok

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rinkles posted:

Since you're going to get so many special points over the course of the game you don't need to immediately specialize towards your long term build. In 76 you have to level your attributes one by one, it makes sense to start with pumping strength. Everybody needs more carry capacity, and melee helps with early ammo issues. it's not like long range characters in FO4 completely skimped on strength.

By level 6 I had 300+ of every bullet except for .44. The only ammo issues I noticed were like, the first level and then how much of my inventory weight is ammo I'm not using.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tenzarin posted:

After you picked a stat to level could you still back out of it after you picked the stat or would you need to plan what stat to put in which special to know when you are getting some cards you want?

well now it looks like there's probably going to be a mod to just player.setav so lol who even cares

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I've never created mods for gamebryo games, but I've spent enough time installing tons of mods and getting them to play nice together that I have a decent working understanding of their functionality. I cannot begin to imagine a way that this is rectified within the next 9 days. Or at all, really. Fuckin' lol.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Does anyone know off hand if it's a net weight benefit to take my raw scrap and turn it into bulk scrap with the tinker bench then keep that in my stash? I had like 2k steel scrap during the last beta but didn't feel like spending time experimenting with it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Minorkos posted:

There are land mines. And I'm going to make an educated guess that only hostile characters (characters with red health bars) will set them off since that's how it's worked in past Bethesda Fallouts.

I was doing something on a terminal and a group of 3 that had just finished doing it before me starting throwing all of their mines at my feet to try to kill me. They definitely triggered by landing under me, and put the group into pvp enabled mode. I'm guessing that they'll trigger for any non-friendly that crosses them, but with damage reduced if they're not in pvp. I'd say drop them all at random by cars, but I'm sure that there's some sort of cell respawn/reset mechanic that would wipe them once you're a certain distance away if no one stays in the cell to maintain its state.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DurosKlav posted:

Didnt someone say a few pages ago that bulking junk doesnt actually lower weight? Because it does look like it does. Unless I'm missing something.

I think it was that it's negligible. I had asked the question, and that at least was my take away from the answers. More importantly, I learned that you can sell bulk scrap, so I know what to do with all of the garbage steel I have that I don't need!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rinkles posted:

Didn't check, do you need an empty bottle to collect water? You did in 4.

no, although empty beer bottles are used to make molotovs so they're worth scrounging up and not scrapping for glass.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I didn't think the game was released until tomorrow, but it's available to play right now on PC for me. US Central time. Too bad I've got to go to work. :(

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
alright I've got like 3k .308 ammo despite using it all of the god drat time but I can't sell it to vendors or scrap it for lead, wtf

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What's the difference between perks like Rifleman/Expert Rifleman? The description says they do the same god damned thing, and there's one for every weapon type perk.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
protip: you can hold V (or whatever you have your third person switch bound to) for a second when you transition to go into a wider angle view rather than the over the shoulder view

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Fallout 76 is one of those games that like, I play, but I don't really enjoy playing it. Which is not to say that I don't enjoy playing it. I spend time doing it, I'm fully focused on it and the shoot/loot/scrap/build gameplay loop, and I don't at all regret the time I spend doing it. It's like it's just built to scratch my brain's reward-loop itch, but other than getting a kick out of reading the logs on the Sergeant's terminal at the little military training camp none of what I'm doing really causes me to deviate from being emotionally neutral about it.

The loop is kind of oddly soothing though, which is worth something.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I'm less than satisfied with Bethesda's asset recycling cach grab, but it's black friday. That's what you do for black friday, you put everything on sale.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You cannot get 2 hacker perk cards. The second hacker perk card is called like, Expert Hacker or something. The third is something else. Its the same with lockpicking.

I definitely took lockpicking twice, and also have expert lockpicking 1 equipped for a total lockpicking of three :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GWBBQ posted:

lol, I reverse image searched and this guy is actually a Libertarian who consistently tells conservative Republicans to gently caress off and go back to /r/TheDonald and very vocally criticizes people who Republican and fascist talking points in /r/libertarian. Strongly advocates punching Nazis, consistently gets downvoted for calling out people who equate antifascists with fascists.
[/b]
stimpacks are morphine

I remember reading somewhere that Med-X is supposed to be morphine, but they changed the name for some reason. I can't remember if it was copyright or not wanting it to get caught in the DRUGS BAD political environment of the 90's.