Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Pretty sure it was just that ARB typoed it once and it stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I still don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that an edition change doesn't mean your old books suddenly cease to exist.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

It's very easy to take 3e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 5e, or whatever other D&D chassis you want and fix the LFQW problem: give fighters and rogues increasing amounts of per-day abilities that are comparable in power to spells of the same level. You don't have to touch existing casters at all - just make everyone quadratic.

The problem is, fans of those games actually and specifically like that the fighter is bad.

There's a relatively well known set of homebrew for 3.5 that does this. It's an absolute loving mess because it turns out the already broken underlying system breaks even harder if everyone is wizards.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

As I already said it was tried with a set of 3.5 homebrew, which just showed that the 3.5 system curls up and dies even harder if you try to bring everyone up to the wizard's level.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

And if you're really worried about it, talk to a lawyer.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Patreon seems to be totally fine with smut, provided only your patrons get to see it and there's little or no mention of it on your public section. And not in a "we'll look the other way as long as you're not reported" kind of way either.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zereth posted:

hint: "ravish" is a euphemism for "rape". the meaning of that sentence does not change one bit if you replace the word "ravish" with "rape".

sure, Holden isn't on the Exalted 3e team anymore, but we're making GBS threads on Holden for it, not the current state of the game.

Seems to me like people were making GBS threads on Holden and also the current state of Exalted 3, which while the former is 100% deserved, the latter is kinda misplaced.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

In the pathfinder 2 play test being androgynous requires a skill feat and training in deception.

https://twitter.com/kalindlarastatus/1026203776439513088?s=21

Did you get a screenshot of what was said or anything, because that page doesn't seem to exist anymore.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

What were the rules got dialed down to "only being able to affect NPCs" then?

I'm legitimately unaware of any, to be quite frank. But it's also a very large book and I'm sure as hell not gonna bother reading charms in trees I'm not currently using.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Could it be that the reason why the game has very large explicit text saying that powers that enable you to rape people can't be used on PCs, has such a thing because at some point in the development process powers actually existed without such protection?

And those things were written by the person we're discussing here?

:thunk:

Could you point out where those rules are? Like I said, I've never seen them before and would like to read them for myself.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

There's a rule in EX3 that's called the "Red Rule" in the fashion of the Golden Rule that basically says "unless all the players involved in a sexual action agree that it's going to happen, it doesn't happen."

e:
Unless you're talking about this thing that I literally quoted on the previous page
When confronted on this Holden's defense was that it wasn't a Ghost Rape charm, because it summoned Wraiths to Ravish, not Ghosts to Rape.

Nope, the red rule was what I wanted, and was in a part of the book I hadn't read. Like I said, I only read the parts directly relevant to the characters I've played. The Abyssals preview was 100% indefensible, but isn't going to actually be the rules because Holden was rightfully thrown off of Exalted.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, everything Holden did definitely has left a stain on Exalted, because everything ends up looked at through a lens of "was this because of something creepy?"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

EDIT: Also, uh, why do we specify 'Holden' when it was both Holden and line dev/actual harasser Morke aka Hatewheel? Like I'm just saying if anything left a stain it's Harasser Man, not his sidekick Mad On Internet Boy.

Because Holden's antics started this discussion to begin with and it's easier to say "Holden" than "Holden and Morke".

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

It’s pretty active, if only because entire splats are being put together from scratch instead of having to wait for the next book.

Which is explicitly not allowed in the Storyteller's Vault.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I have no experience with HM 4e, but I've played a few games with 5e. Overall I like the system, but it has some warts that I'm not a huge fan of, such as "realistic" elements that aren't realistic at all, including being 100% unable to even attempt to swim in anything heavier than light armor.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Honestly the whole "group nominally agrees to play not-Pathfinder/5e but complains about it the entire time so we just go back to Pathfinder/5e" thing is part of the reason I left a long running group I was in. Which is personally funny to me because the reason we kept going back was to not lose the guy who complained most of the time.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I went to TotalCon once, years ago. It was easily the worst convention I've ever been to, stuffed into a tiny hotel area.

This does not really surprise me.

So would you say it's a total con?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought HackMaster 4th Edition read pretty well.

4th was the parody edition, 5th is the one being complained about (there was no 3rd edition).

Kurieg posted:

To be fair this is the illigitimate birth table...

but the odds are the table to determine if you're legitimate or illegitimate has a malus if you're a half orc too.

Forget malus, they always roll on that chart. Dwarves and elves never do, not because those things never happen apparently, but because they have such low birth rates they cherish all children equally or something. Gnomes, half-elves, and halflings roll on it 1 in 20, gnome titans and humans 1 in 10, half-hobgoblins 19 in 20.

Oh and the reason that half-orcs always roll on the table is because for some goddamn reason they decided it would be a really good idea to make orcs barely more than animals that only reproduce by rape.

moths posted:

IIRC they brought in some clunky Aces & 8s mechanics, took all the humor out, and introduced this gem:

Not all, just most, and most of what remains is kinda painfully shoehorned references, like the Silver Ball spell that shoots out a silver ball that bounces around the battlefield while the wizard is struck blind, deaf and dumb for the duration.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

"The gnomish equivalent to the spartans" according to the book. They're a more militant gnome variant that always has the Inappropriate Sense of Humor flaw, the only race that knows how to kick people in the nuts when they're on the ground, and I guess are so OP they had to be balanced with an XP penalty.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

Everyone on the internet should post with the confidence of a mediocre white man.

I don't think I can be that confident.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Arivia posted:

Who's Loomis?

Rick Loomis, one of the founders of Flying Buffalo Games, who publish Tunnels and Trolls. He's also the one who made Grimtooth's Traps, plus a bunch of other stuff.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

The correlary to part 2 is that the pregens need to be good to inform your decision making process.

How many 3.5e pregens have trap feats and middling stat spreads?

I want to say literally all of the ones that appeared in official products.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna go with "no one was looking".

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Probably about the same that Pathfinder 1e did, which was also a subscription model. Not everyone who plays buys a subscription, since that's only worth it if you plan on using literally every book available, rather than picking and choosing.

And yeah, if you're playing in their Organized Play you get some minor bonuses if you buy stuff from the store you're playing in and show the GM your receipt.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

As a kid I always loved Star Wars Monopoly, and I honestly don't know why.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

Probably the cool metal coins.

The original version did not have those, so that can't be it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zereth posted:

How does Jr. differ from normal monopoly?

Money values are way lower (everything is single digits), the board is smaller, you have to buy properties you land on, the amount you get when someone lands on your property is the same as what you paid for it (or double if you have both properties in a monopoly), there are no property improvements, you can't mortgage properties and the game ends as soon as one person is bankrupt. There's probably some other changes I'm not remembering. But it makes the game way faster.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yup. If you play it RAW all the properties get snapped up pretty quickly and there's no random cash injections, so the games actually have a chance to end. But, uh, it's still not a fun framework under all that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nickoten posted:

If anyone is interested in playing a faster, more fun version of Monopoly that uses the same basic concepts, I would recommend the video game Itadaki Street. It has a stock element that lets you anticipate what properties are going to make money and take a cut of it through investment. Plus depending on the version you get to do it as Sephiroth or a Dragon Quest slime or whatever.

Yeah, Fortune Street's actually pretty fun.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder what they get out of that. Unless the plan is to sell it back as part of a premium stats package or something?

Well, from an implementation perspective it's much easier to transition to a new system if you don't have to bring in any of the old data and they don't want to have to maintain a system to access the old data. This is almost certainly just a case of them going "This is cheaper and no one really cares about it anyway so who cares?"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Also it's not buried in the announcement, I know for a fact we were talking about it a while ago and I think it was even in their official FAQ on the subject.

From what I can tell "buried in the announcement" means "didn't literally title the announcement 'We're deleting all your old match data'".

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, pretty sure they wanted more money from people like me, who would just subscribe for a month whenever a big update happened, download the character builder, and then gently caress off again. Instead everyone I know who did that just stopped subscribing and went to :filez: instead.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

The people who made Cards Against Humanity being huge pieces of poo poo is super not surprising.

I never really got why people loves that game so much. It’s just offensive Apples to Apples! Just play Apples to Apples

You've answered your own question. People like it because it's offensive, and many people mistake being offensive for being funny or otherwise having a personality.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

That bit about how each colour stands for different things is...is that real? Is that something old white American boomers believe? It's just so ridiculous.

Is it what lots of people believe? Yes. Is it what was originally intended? No.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm impressed by the guy somehow claiming that Drow aren't depicted as having black skin 99% of the time.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

theironjef posted:

My favorite argument in that thread is "If all the races aren't inherently evil, then what happened to diversity?"

That's actually from the same guy who thinks that drow have never been depicted as being dark skinned, except by ignorant outsiders. He is full of amazingly bad takes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Leraika posted:

I got to the one who was going 'it's cool and good that evil races exist so my players can kill them without qualms' and had to stop there.

That is also the same guy.

Edit: Oh, wait, there was a different guy who said it first. It just got echoed later by others.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I feel it's less that It Came From Something Awful and more they're afraid of possible backlash if they end up banning someone popular, which means of course that those people get to effectively run the forums and everything gets shittier and shittier.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some genius there linked to this opinion piece on Psychology Today dismissing the controversy about racism in D&D, which in turn had this gem:

Significant imagination? In the context of a role-playing game?! :thunk:

Also the writer is a professor at, and I'm not making this up, Stetson University.

So later in the thread that poster defended linking that article, and also claimed that being mean to racists is the real problem, because it totally just makes them more racist guys.

Not quite as bad as the poster that equated being mean to racists with the Rwandan Genocide and everything the Nazis did, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

*record scratch*

WHAT?!

An idiot posted:

You know, that dehumanising someone because of their ideology is only slightly less awful than dehumanising them because of their race. Like yeah, you can choose an ideology so that's a factor someone has more agency over, but really the awful thing is the dehumanisation. The removing of a person's personhood. That they chose their ideology is the icing on the awful cake. The dehumanisation is the awful cake.

Yes, calling a person a pig is dehumanisation. Just like in the Rwandan genocide, calling people people cockroaches was dehumanisation. Or, in Nazi Germany, calling the Jews pigs was dehumanisation. It's a way to legitimise doing horrible things to another human being.
This was in response to someone saying that "racist pigs have no place at my table."