Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

I was curious so I looked on his main blog, yeah, there's no link to the announcements blog there. It's just on his profile which links to both blogs, so it'd be pretty easy to miss I think.

I noticed the sidebar with the link to other OSR blogs with the brief summary of their latest topic of conservation has disappered for fairly obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah. *sigh*

quote:

Lets get this over with

as well as pretty much the last half a dozen paragraphs.

The real tragedy here is Raggi being inconvenienced. :rolleyes:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nessus posted:

I'm old enough to remember when the cool edgelord anime had Dracula and Wolverine Priest murdering buckets of vampire Nazis.

Thank you for reminding me off Helsing Abridged and holy poo poo they actually released new episodes that I had completely missed.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

alg posted:

This minis company just outed themselves

It's a little long, but you might enjoy this multi-part "Why the Spartans are over-rated dicks"

https://acoup.blog/tag/sparta/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

"Why don't we just remove alignment while we're at it!" proclaims one of the Facebook people, thinking this a statement of how mad this is, not realizing that yes, that would be a better idea.

Man, it's been multiple editions since I used alignment in DnD. And I don't think we made it through the whole 3E era before I abandoned it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

The most Monte Cook thing about Invisible Sun, the thing that really sums it up to me, is that one of the characters you can play is a wizard who memorizes spells by having to fit actual physical spell cards onto an inventory page. Right away, that concept conjures up all sorts of neat ideas, yeah? Spell cards of wildly different shapes that you can try and puzzle out different ways to make all fit together, progression upgrades that let you do things like physically alter cards by folding or cutting them into new shapes, buffs or debuffs that temporarily (or permanently) alter the inventory page itself in some fashion, etc.

And the actual execution is that every spell is just on the same square shaped card, that's it.

I was genuinally annoyed by that when I got to that point in the review.

It's a really fun idea for a mechanic, but the execution was just so flat and such a waste of potential.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zereth posted:

Specifically, a low level spell, Glibness, gave you a +30 bonus to Bluff, but only if you were lying.

The difficulty penalty for "completely obviously impossible lie" is +20.

Eh. If a 1st level spell can convince someone that you're their best friend, and a 5th level spell (4th for a Bard)can literally dominate peoples minds. I don't see why a 3rd level Bard spell shouldn't allow you to tell completely believable lies.

It's ridiculous, but no more so than other 3.5 magic.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I took the bullet and went to his website for the first time in years to see if that made it clearer.

Holy gently caress. :psyduck:

He has lost the goddamn plot

He appears to be in some days prolonged multi-thousand word rant where's he attempting to rewrite the last 10 years of RPG history.

Also, yeah he's totally "Don't harass people, but *wink* here's how to do it with a burner account".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't forget entirely neutral and unbiased observers like Kas Z, Ask Z, Zas K and many more totally real people who are unafraid to support him!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I expect he explains in his screed about how he was the secret inspiration whose ideas were stolen without credit, but hell if i'm going to read it to find out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm just imagining sarcasticly inquiring after someone's Enemies List and they respond by immediately confirming it's existance.

LOL, but also :psyduck:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Whilst we're here, let's grab some more X":shrug:

Perfectly normal conversational word for me. :britain:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I played in a fantastic Rolemaster campaign back in the day, but drat the actual rules got in the way.

I remember one big boss fight the DM had to arrange a special meetup one weekend afternoon just so we had time to play out the entire fight in one hit.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, we were never going to be ready for UKGE. I was cautiously optimistic for Dragonmeet but the Tories' insistence on 'gently caress it, let 'em die' as official policy means that we may be in the middle of another lockdown come November.

You think it'll take to November?At the current rate of increase I'm not sure we'll make it through August.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

https://yourdungeonisracist.blogspot.com/

:sigh:

At least it looks like he already got bored.

Giving up after 3 days is hilariously low energy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Young teenage me in the 80's wasn't that impressed by the Dragonlance novels. God knows what 2021 books would be like.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cureall posted:

What the hell does that thing say? 'Chaalt Right'?
Also I haven't seen that font since Windows 98, I'm impressed.

Wondered the same.

Googled and it's some edgelord bullshit D&D campaign setting he's created.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arivia posted:

Speaking of, Skerples wrote a good rundown of what's been up with Zak over the last while, although Skerples is very confused by and does not understand the Comedy Goldmine at all https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2022/03/on-zak-sabbath-smith-lawsuits.html

I see Zak and a few of his clique (or sock puppets) have turned up to defend himself in the comments.

And he's doing so in the most exhausting way possible. Just show that thread to any neutral third party who'd never heard of him before and watch them go :yikes:

He's clearly gone all in, this whole whiny relentless nitpicking is all he's got left. This is his life now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

The fact that Zak is parading through the comments like an unhinged rant elemental

Nice.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FMguru posted:

LMAO at Star Fleet Battles being sold out of a Sears catalog.

It works like coal.

If you were a good kid you got yourself some D&D.

If you were a bad kid you got Star Fleet Battles.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I could be wrong but I got a definite Pathfinder style, 'The original system isn't complicated enough! It needs more rules and options' vibe from it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

hyphz posted:

5e also hasn’t published a dungeon crawl in a while, I think?

Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage was a megadungeon. 4 years old now though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

moths posted:

TBF, that's an accurate statement.

I can't face complicated rule sets any more.

I've gone back to Old School Essentials for that sort of game.

Although, LOL at myself. I added some homebrew feats and a few weapon traits to add a little more options.

You know how that goes. Next thing you know, I'll be writing my own B/X fantasy heartbreaker. Anyone taken The Emerald Hack yet?:)

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 31, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So it's skirmish level? Basically trying to steal Frostgraves lunch money.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Piell posted:

Honestly "we're making this super cool product SYKE" is just the dumbest "prank", how do you even expect that to give good press

April Fools jokes are the worst. 90% unfunny or awful. 9% actively cruel or malicious, and 1% actually funny or clever.

And I'm probably being too generous on the latter %.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Man, that really is fitting. The only thing he's ever done with a claim to fame was a game that had already been done and with maybe an improvement here or there (I don't know, I own Zweihander because it just turned up in my DTRPG library one day but I sure didn't buy it) but mostly just tries to be loud and important about the field he is ostensibly working in.

Me too. From hazy old memories, I think there was basically a time when you couldn't touch anything RPG related online without him offerring a free copy of Zweihander and picked it up then.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

I hadn't seen this posted yet:

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1514265998282604547?t=79ljvrQ4fYCLqdwQVmLOWg&s=19

License Budget: $350k
Editing Budget: 0.49¢

someone who is good at math please help, my splatbook is dying

Without googling it, it's a 5E port right? 'We're making a lazy tie-in for (x) to make a quick buck. Pass me the SRD, it's time to get re-skinning'

Edit:Lol, of course it is.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I could only bear a minute or two so I can't speak to the content, but the delivery is pure standing on a street corner shouting about the CIA orbital mind-control lasers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Colonel Cool posted:

I could never get excited about Dungeon World. It's always seemed solidly mediocre every time I tried it.

Agreed, and having also tried Monster of the Week. I've concluded I just don't like the Powered by the Apocalypse system.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

How is 13Age Glorantha anyway.

I was very interested when I heard about it, but I've never really looked into it.

I love Glorantha, but I've never really enjoyed Runequest or Heroquest as a system.

For me the former's at odds between it's heroic bronze age fantasy it's sold as and the deadliness of fights.

And the latter is a little too abstract for me.

It seems a more abstracted 4E style powers and minions etc, might work pretty well.

Thoughts?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol, 'Morgoth'. It's like they can't help themselves. 'Hans, are we the baddies?' yet again.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

lol guess what, magnus carlson quit an online match against hans neimann after taking his first move, because why would this not continue to be a spectacular show of pettiness and oddity? The story is showing up in serious/major news outlets now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/sport/magnus-carlsen-hans-niemann-chess-spt-intl/index.html

OK, now he's going the full Bobby Fischer.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Lmao chess is absolutely kicking off lately.

I've been watching Eric Rosen on youtube and thinking I might try to learn to play again.

Same.

I'm 50, so it'll take me what, about a month? To reach Grandmaster status.

Prolly be challenging the world champion by this time next year. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Funzo posted:

I was just looking up stuff about Rolemaster the other day. I still have my stack of OG Rm and MERP books, and I was trying to see if they were still around. I played a game of Rolemaster at Gen Con like 5 years ago. The guy running it said he was working on a new version, which I guess would be this play test. He was going to send us copies of the rules but I never got anything.

Against the Dark Master?

https://www.vsdarkmaster.com/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I haven't touched 2nd edition yet, but I'll chime in with the chorus of the first edition is great. The whole 'Making journeys interesting' thing is worth the price of admission alone.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Agreed, I don't even bother with the full counters, hex movement, line of sight, or bother buying the official integrated rulesets.

It's worth it just for having the ability to have a map on screen which I can selectively defog of war and not have to constantly remind my players of where the exits are, which way is back, how big this room is etc etc.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh and Foundry has some good dice rolling modules as well, 3d dice rolling on screen sort of stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Huh, Youtube just recommended this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxyhZ-rmV3g

Raggi is doing the whole inexplicably shirtless rant in front of a greenscreen again. :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah 5 games and 15 people suggests mobile shovelware to me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Panzeh posted:

GURPS is good it's just a lot of filing down to get to the game you want and imo DFRPG isn't filed down enough- the full gurps tactical combat just isn't right for the vibe they're going for.

Which is kinda why i'm working out a way to do it faster.

I liked DFRPG and have run a good campaign with it, you just have to *nope* out some of the more egregious crunch and it's fine. At the end of the day it's just a 'Roll 3d6 under your target number' system.