Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Its heree.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dont change your food policy right off the bat. gently caress. -10 food and no way to build more less than a year in due to blockers. RIP that game.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

If you have excess of anything else you coud buy Food on the market!

It was year 2 or something. I restarted. Also the new buildings and districts and poo poo are confusing and will probably stay that way for a while.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, everything is collapsing for me and I literally have no understanding why. I've been doing my best to try to only build buildings and districts when I'm about to spring unemployed population for them, then suddenly out of nowhere I'm at -30 energy a month and I run out of everything because also my mineral production dropped from 40 a month to 12 and I have no loving clue why.

I feel like the underlying concepts are good, but everything is so goddamned opaque. Build an energy district for more energy! How much can you expect? Well, mouse over your current production, if you know where to find that, divide by the existing pops, then multiply by 2, so easy! Assuming no modifiers change. Build a research lab to turn minerals into science! How many minerals do you spend? gently caress you, that's how many. Oh, that was too much! Now your economy will collapse.

Maybe it's that I'm playing robots - is their economy tighter? It sure doesn't seem like there's any sort of trade value for them, and they eat energy, so maybe I'm just hosed?

Also, it seems like the unity purchase that's supposed to give you an extra colonist on new colonies doesn't do anything for robots, unless I'm supposed to start with 0 on each colony and it's generously giving me 1.

Edit: and of course I post right after they announce that they're adding more info to tooltips, thank you Wiz, sorry I'm a crabby bastard
Dont feel too bad about it. My read was exactly the same and I just abandoned a game because of it. Everything going well, plenty of extra stuff coming in. Build some more buildings and "OMG WTF WHY IS EVERYTHING COLLAPSING?!" I limped along from the market for a loving decade and theres still no idea why/how-to-fix info coming in.

I... I think I miss tiles.

And holy poo poo pops need to grow faster. One every two loving decades isn't enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bloodly posted:

Note that Exotic Gas as upkeep, though....Dangerous.
It's an up front cost, not upkeep.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

wiegieman posted:

For whatever reason, miner jobs get workers assigned to them before generator jobs. You need to open up the population tab and expand the worker drone jobs, and use the + and - buttons to move workers around to make them go to the power plant.

This is basically like moving pops around on tiles, except worse. It needs to be fixed right away.
Agreed. 2.2 is far far more micromanagy than 2.1 was. Even doing it "right" I'm having to spend multi-year periods adjusting pops more than once every 5 years. Partially because poo poo doesn't update immediately, and partially because you have to do it individually for every planet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Zeron posted:

Despite all that though, the patch is real fun and i'm excited to see how they'll improve the systems going forward.
Agreed. It needs a lot of iteration and further work, but its a good base.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Retro42 posted:

My Megacorp just got a mascot. One of my explorers reports back saying a baby space amoeba was following him around. 2 years later it grows up and I have a full grow Space monster named Euka as the new mascot of our company. Great publicity AND it keeps pirates away(eats them)!
If it stays alive for 100 years (iirc) it turns into a 4.5k beast ship, iirc.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

prefect posted:

Oh, didn't realize that. It follows your science ship around for the first few years, so I had assumed it would follow the same rules. :downs:

Still, I don't want to feel all agitated that I might get some poor dumb animal killed. What if raiders show up and start shooting? :ohdear:
You get it from it following your science ship, but it's a warship once you do.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

wiegieman posted:

They're basically the only way for a machine empire or hive mind to scale up industry, normal empires get ecumenopoli.

Machine worlds can put out disgusting amounts of raw materials so it balances out.
My hive has an ecumenopoli. Go first league!

Also, is there a building upgrade for maintenance jobs (amenities)?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a list of suggested mods?

And do y'all play as standard empires or gestalt more? Or as DE/DA/DS?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

/Me looks at first list
Are you sure you're still playing stellaris at that point? Lol
I'll take a look at all of those
And how would you get to the wild space systems? Science vessel tunneling or jump drives I guess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Black Pants posted:

Wild Space systems are just like regular ones with regular starlanes and such, they just lack a star so a starbase can't be built there, and thus they can't be claimed by anyone. You can still travel through them normally.
Ah. Well thats pretty cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Serephina posted:

SoaSE is basically Stellaris' gameplay loop done right, without the dialogue popups. The 'look & feel' of both of them is remarkably similar.
I've always considered them highly similar. I just miss the vasari and their phase gates in stellaris. 😭 I do tend to focus on gateways for that reason.

I just got my rear end kicked. I felt I was doing pretty good, and then found a genocidal next door. It beat the poo poo out of a neighbor on their far side, and then threw multiple 2k fleets at me. Was about 2230. Dunno if that's early. I had 2 fleets of about 15 corvettes is all, which got wasted and then he rolled through the rest of my empire. RIP.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 29, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

By the 2300's you should be building your first Titan, if not researching one. Always be churning out alloys.
Oops. 2230. I hadn't even finished destroyers (they'd popped up once but I'd picked something else)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Related to this, setting up habitats with fortresses can be both a great way to make a system nearly uncapturable for an enemy while also boosting your fleet cap significantly. I also usually set up my resort world with tons of fortresses since they increase housing.
How does that affect admin cap usage and research? Extra planets used to be a massive hit, does that still happen?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 30, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Unless you're playing an incredibly old version for some reason you can just construct buildings that give you admin cap these days.
Ok, so just stay under the cap and you're good then. A bigger cap doesn't slow you down by itself.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Staltran posted:

Just a reminder for everyone that the % you're above doesn't matter, the amount you're over matters. 1100/1000 has the same penalties as 130/30.
Really? Interesting.

What's the best way to integrate new planets and stations as you win a war? I've been mostly purging but that feels wrong. And it's a ton of work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Eimi posted:

Embrace Death Star thought. That annoying species that bothered you early game? Wipe them from the face of the galaxy. :colbert:
I always decide it's easier to do total war via colossus or genocidal than to bother with claims and invasions and poo poo. Game sucks when you have to steam roll 20+ planets without that. Colossus is just annoyingly slow is all. Still better than fiddling with armies and trying to unfuck planets.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Before or after dyson spheres? Cuz if after, I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can stand against you.
I've had dyson spheres and still been negative energy. 4k is a lot but not infinite

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah and that part is fine. What's not fine is the garbage fire that is demotion time.

It's not even that realistic to begin with and all it does is be a massive pain the rear end for the player. It has no reason to exist.
Any mods that just remove or severely lower the time?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hits me when I take a planet that I plan to purge but have land appropriation on. I still hate having too many planets, but being able to turn on ai and have it not gently caress up everything with next update might fix it too. Sector ai is still dumb. I just want a sector for everything I grab during a specific war.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Shared Burdens should be allowed with Dictatorial authority. I want to play Space Stalin.
Would your primary species, by default, be enslaved or purged? Would make for entertainingly short games I guess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Is there an actual rationale for democracies having to elect from the leader pool? It's probably the worst democracy tax, getting to randomly lose a leader every 10 years, when imperial heirs are generated from nowhere. I don't know why they wouldn't just generate faction leaders like they generate envoys and have the elections occur between them. Great, I get to spend a bunch of influence to keep my genius particles scientist from getting elected president.
This is why I avoid democracy empires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Protip: Spam habitats.

They make excellent fortress building slots fodder.
What makes them so good for fortress worlds?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

You can even double dip and fill chokepoint systems with fortress habitats to make invading you miserable.
AI does this to me. Makes me love jump drives and colossus so much... If I do invade, they always end up getting purged. Maybe that should change.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How much fleet cap are you getting for a fortress habitat though?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I build multiple giant shipyard complexes all through my empire, and a gateway is a prereq for building one of those.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Why not just build a mega shipyard? That alone can produce all of the battleships you will ever need.
I stick one of those into my empire too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

What the hell are you doing to need this much ship production, are you playing on grand admiral while declaring war on the entire galaxy without ever building a single research lab? During a 25x endgame crisis?
Mostly to speed up and spread out repairs and upgrades. Jumping fleets around and going in and out of battle makes rebuilding fleets during a war incredibly messy, so in want them rebuilt and upgraded asap when I can spare them mid war or between. When I'm at war my fleets aren't at home, and my recent games have had very quick turn around from war to war. Each primary fleet gets its own home shipyard, and secondary fleets (without a titan) shares the mega shipyard system. Only one gets upgraded to citadel, which is the mega shipyard system, which can also rebuild any missing titans/colossus/etc. I'm using 2800ish fleet in my current game, with 20ish fleets.

E: yeah, 8 shipyard systems, with one being the mega. 2667 fleet used out of 2755. 1482 pops, 1278 sprawl out of 814. 62 out of 51 starbase, but I just grabbed a bunch before next group declared war and need to clean those up. 19 fleets, 12 are titan-less assault fleets at about 35k fleet power, 6 are main fleets which I use to hold choke points and had to double up during the last war as they could beat a single fleet. Those are 80k fleet power. I control a little over half the galaxy and am into repeatable techs to 4-6-ish level.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 15, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

[new game]
Life-seeded devouring swarm.
Yeah, that sounds good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of which, is there a best way to handle trade stations? 6 trade hubs for range or 3 trade hubs plus 3 strike craft hangers for protection? 3+3 would take a lot more starbases.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I haven't played for a couple years but I reinstalled to play and now there's a launcher but the game isn't launching. Just says game failed to launch. Searched online and there's a whole bunch of gently caress poo poo like changing settings on my PC and I tried some of those suggestions but nothing's worked so far. Any recommendations?
Make sure mods are disabled. And you're clicking play not resume.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

uhh. Can hive/swarm empires not build robots? I'm not seeing the tech pop up and I'm pretty sure I've got the pre-req social tree tech complete and know I have the exoskeletons one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Hive Minds can't build robots, they make up for it with their innate boosts to pop growth though.
Can they edit out gaia preference? I may have made a terrible mistake with this empire. Oops.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Not sure I've ever actually done an ascension path. I usually end up with tech, tech hiding, star bases, colossus, and the megastructure ones, with a couple open for if I need them against crisis event.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Probably should, the robot and biological ones are extremely good and the psionic one is very good.

Tech hiding is a waste outside of MP - last time I did an observer game the AI never researched wreckage. 5 extra star bases is a waste of a slot, too - you should be able to get more starbases than you need and if you want extra fleet cap just whack some fortress habitats somewhere.
I don't like to treat the AI like it's just a stupid AI. I know it is, and can be beaten just by exploring it's flaws, I just don't like to do it.

Starbases is a wild card perk. Whatever I feel like, really.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Fair enough, as long as you know the perk is useless that's fine

Just seemed weird that you had like, six good perk picks, one bad one and one that does virtually nothing in your list
Shrug

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Uhh, what? I got all the genome mod stuff, and when I (devouring swarm) grabbed a new planet it added hive minded to their pops and gave them full citizenship. I can't remove hive minded, and I can't set them to purge.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Lol, I just tried to take on a fallen empire for the first time, and let me tell you. There were not that fallen. Fuckers iced my whole fleet before I sued for a tie.
My most successful war against a fallen that didn't involve a dozen 100k fleets was when I they sent all their fleets on the attack, then I jumped in, popped their starbases, and colossus'd their home world planets. Lol.