Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dorf meeeeee! My preferences include being female and useful crafting. Carpenter, mason, bower, weaponsmith, something useful. Something likely to land an artifact. I don't mind churning out bone crossbows or granite mugs for eternity. Scholar or priest would be okay too.

e: Attn Overseers: Bone crossbows are real good BTW, assuming you have a big pile of bones you don't need. Masterpiece crossbows fire like a bloody machine gun. The damage depends on the bolt, but the rate of fire depends on the quality (but not material) of the bow. Bone is much lighter than metal, so easier for the weaklings in the archery squads and/or hunters to haul around. If there is a failing of light crossbows, it is that they aren't as good at being hammers when the archer runs out of bolts and inexplicably decides to run up and hit the enemy with his bow. But how often does that happen?

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gnoman posted:

His wife, Facebook Aunt

Their son theshim

LOL I worship 5 gods, really covering all my bases there. Makes sense that I'm pretty religious, considering that I'm 46 and have a 40 year old son. :iit:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gnoman posted:

That's what I get for skimming the descriptions. That was an error that I have now fixed.

Ohhh, I thought it might be a RP thing. "Something odd with that family, can't quite put my finger on it."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

My dwarf worships 7 different gods. Really hedging my bets here.

I thought worshiping 5 was unusual, my dwarf sucks now. :( Didn't actually have a kid when she was 6 years old. And now there are a bunch of jewelers, too many jewelers.

I'm going to end up conscripted into the unskilled losers squad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Makes a handy Annoying Noble Disposal System, too!

Nobles aren't that bad anymore, not nearly as bad as back in the Boatmurdered days. Most games only have two nobles: the mayor and the baron.

The mayor is the guy with the most friends. Kind of hard to control. But you get to appoint the baron yourself, so it's your own fault if you appoint someone with bad preferences.

Take my character for example. Her preferences are: maces, socks, crowns. This is an ideal combination. Who doesn't love socks? Crowns are cool as heck. And nothing like an order for maces to break up the weapon smith monotony of hammers and axes. Now some people would say a noble with a weapon preference is a bad idea because it can lead to your most valuable workers getting punished if a production order isn't finished in time. Those people are fools.

Facebook Aunt for baron!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I'm a rude chemist who keeps getting into bitter arguments. That's totally not a recipe for someone getting poisoned sooner or later.

I'm also not too up to date on Dwarf Fortress, do chemists actually do anything useful?

Yes, they do something useful. Not useful for a brand new fort though.

Libraries are where dwarfs meet their intellectual needs. Dwarfs have intellectual needs now. If you have books you keep 'em here and dwarfs read them and get happy thoughts. Dwarfs can also ponder concepts or discuss concepts, and this will be done even in a completely empty library, but books are fun. Through a complex production chain you can produce blank scrolls or books, and if your library has tables, chairs, and blank scrolls scholars can write brand new books there. You can assign dwarfs to work in the library as either scholars who eventually produce new books, or as scribes who will make copies of existing books. You can sell the copies to caravans.

And that's where your Chemist comes in. If assigned to a library as a scholar your chemist will ponder, talk about, and write about chemistry. He can make discoveries by pondering the concept of flasks or whatever, but for now this doesn't actually change the tech level of the civilization. If he's really skilled other scholars may come from far and wide to talk with him and read his books. High skill makes higher quality books, which are worth more as trade goods and probably more satisfying to read.

If you assign random unskilled dwarfs to be scholars, they make awful self-indulgent navel gazing books like this:

This guy wrote a bad essay about the time he changed careers from dyer to dancer.

This fella thinks the world wants a 20 page essay about the time he became an apprentice.

And this one is a terrible book talking about the author's previous terrible book.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

M_Gargantua posted:

From the snow drifts one of the migrants pets springs forth, but rather than in greeting it is as a starved and necrid beast.

It takes a spike from our gate defenses before being repeated skewered by dwarven spears until dead once again.

Why are pets still starving out in the necro zone? Is there a meeting area there or something? Is the wagon still intact? Are they...are they pastured out there? Oh, wait, I bet it just followed one of the wood cutters out there, right?

Well, if some overseer decides we've had enough fun with pets, there is a pleasant solution. You can't slaughter pets but you can pasture them, ensuring that they don't go where you don't want to them to go. Pasture them in the green zone outside and they won't starve, but they will get murdered by wildunlife, so you need to pasture them underground. We have breached the caverns so the fort is full of spores just waiting for dirt or mud.

Dig a room 31X31 near the water system we used to flood the farms. Flood it. Let it dry. Make it a pasture and assign all pets there. Throw in a few nest boxes so egg laying pets can be useful. A farmers workshop will allow you to milk the animals if you want, but it's probably not worth the bother for a few pets unless people are starving.

Tip: you can't mine out the outer wall of the fortress, but you can carve fortifications into it as 'drains'. Water/lava will flow through the drains and off the map, as yet the game doesn't track just where it goes. This helps deliberately flooded areas dry faster, and prevents accidental floods from becoming deadly.

Oh, and indoor pasture zone can also be a recreational area. Set it as a generic meeting zone or as temple to an appropriate god -- there must be some god that likes live things. Or build a statue and make it a statue garden room, or a cage and make it a zoo room. A pleasant area for the children to play.

The reason I don't volunteer to be overseer is I spend too much time on quality-of-life improvements and always forget about the expanding the military until huge invasion forces start showing up.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 17, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I'm pretty sure magma does not actually have pressure. Mind you, last I played was DF2010 so my information might be out of date. If it does, then we'd need to modify the channel to depressurize by having a diagonal transfer between the volcano and the sacrificial pool but that would also interfere with the proper ritualistic transfer of essences into His Glory through the Heart of the Mountain See attached diagram. Red representing magma channels, blue representing the sacrificial platformdecorative bridge. Unless they changed the pressure mechanics, transfering fluid along a diagonal as pictured resets it to the new pressure level, so this is how you wind up not flooding your farming level from an elevated cistern, for example.

Last I've tried magma was unpresurized.

You can help prevent a valuable miner from being lost by smoothing and carving fortifications into the magma instead of mining it out. Often the carver survives. Having a walkway next to a channel also increases the survival rate, as the magma tends to fill the channel rather than the escape walkway. Oh, and if we want the pool to be useful for dumping bodies it should be at least 2 levels deep, so anything that survives the heat is still stuck at the bottom of a pit.

There are still a couple problems though:
  • 1. Magma can splash when you throw things into it. Having worshipers standing around the magma pool is asking for injuries. Usually magma disposal systems have the magma pool itself in a closed space and garbage is tossed in from several floors above.
  • 2. As described, the pool remains connected to the magma tube. That means things in the magma can swim out of the volcano and into the temple. But what kind of crazy creature could live in magma? None, I'm sure.

Due to pathfinding issues, if we're going to have magma disposal both indoors and outdoors, it is best if they are as close as possible to directly above/below each other. So harmless indoor corpses never go outside, and potentially infected outdoor corpses never come inside. It's tricky though, it would almost be better to have only one magma dumping point active at a time, but that would require every overseer to be on the ball 100% of the time to activate and deactivate the dump zones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So Math posted:

Meanwhile, idhrendur's pet ram is slowly starving to death. He refuses to put the poor animal down, or at least pen it with the others.

:smith:

Seriously, isn't there some mossy mud over by the farm area that was flooded and could be a pasture for this poor creature?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you decide to geld the excess cats, make sure you do it indoors. Getting killed by zombie cat balls would be embarrassing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A large lake right next to the volcanic vent, eh? Does anybody else look at this and see "obsidian factory waiting to happen"

What good is obsidian anymore though? Obsidian swords used to be equal to steel which made it worthwhile if you found yourself without any iron, but now that weapons can break they are only good against unarmored opponents. Even copper armor beats obsidian swords. :( Hardly seems worth the trouble just so you can make furniture or crafts out of black rock.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So, uh, if I'm looking at this correctly, wouldn't the most likely path for lava, should the volcano be tapped from outside, be pretty much directly towards the entrance to the fortress? Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, just making sure here.

It would probably be pretty easy to have a magmafall coming down each side around both sides of the mountain and meeting at a moat in front of the entrance. Unfortunately that would be a quick path to FPS death.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

...and the moat overflowing unless either a)you turned off the magmafall when it was full, or b)you had the moat drain somewhere else(more FPS death!).

So we should definitely do it.

Yeah, you have to have a drain go off the edge of the map. I wonder it simulates what happens to liquids that flow off the map yet? Make a nice moat, accidentally burn down hundreds of hectares of forest. Caravan arrives smoking.

Of course there would be mishaps and overflows, but having the zombie wilderness on fire wouldn't make things much worse here. It might even be an improvement.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"It's okay, DCB, nobles aren't that bad anymore."

Uh huh. :colbert:

They aren't that bad in that now there are only 3 who can make demands:

1. The baron, who you get to appoint yourself and so you can choose someone with no bad preferences.
2. The king, who rarely shows up unless you do specific things to encourage him to show up.
3. The mayor: the dwarf with the most friends.

You can try to game the election by giving a good candidate almost no jobs, so he'll spend most of his time socializing and making new friends, but that's a lot of management. If you get a bad mayor it's usually easier to arrange an accident and hope the second-most popular dwarf is more reasonable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

and they cost metal, which you could be making trade goods out of. say, speaking of wood, we should maybe set up a tree farm.

An underground tree farm would also be a swell place to pasture any herbivores we don't want to die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So Math posted:

22 Sandstone 566

I went to see how Deadmeat5150 is getting along with the new farmers.
The farms themselves have not changed much in the past nine months, besides AJ_Impy's signage. We do have room to expand, but I've prioritized other projects while we've been able to trade for many delicacies.

See, this right here would be a great area for a tree farm. Trees are already growing in the muddied hallway. Just dig out the area to right of that hallway, flood it with the already installed flood system, and Bob's your uncle. In a couple years we'd have plenty of wood.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Axes seem like a dubious idea here. Dismembering things just means more hauling jobs that need to complete before the zombification kicks in.

Hammers are the future.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do wooden spear rooms still work for levelling combat skills?

Not really, no. If you don't have a full set of good armor you can be injured by the spears, mostly cuts and bruises but broken fingers are supposed to be common too.

At the same time the weapons and armor take wear and tear. So the wooden training spears are doing damage to whatever armor you're wearing, which isn't too bad if it is steel armor, but steel armor will cause the spears to break down pretty quickly. Wear and tear is in, but repair is not. If you keep using damaged weapons and armor eventually it will completely fall apart and vanish exactly like clothing, so before that happens you need to smelt it down so you don't lose all the metal value.

Wooden training spears can't be melted down, so they are destroyed and you need to start from scratch with fresh logs, make new spears, and then reconstruct the mechanisms again. And a lot of people avoid forested maps now because the pretty foliage and fruit causes FPS problems, so you probably don't have enough spare logs to keep whittling them down to spears and breaking them on your metal boots.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zebrin posted:

Also mayor. What?

Whoever has the most friends gets elected mayor, so you must have lots of friends! That means lots of people will be upset when you die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rincewinds posted:

Can undead goats fall down and smash the glass ceiling if they have enough momentum?

No, constructions are currently immune to that sort of damage. You could build a floor out of bars of soap and fill the room with lava and falling goats and everything will be fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, glass constructions are the same as any other constructions and not actually transparent in the game mechanics. You could build the roof our of sandy loam and granite and it would have the same effect, because the way sunlight works is if a square is exposed to sunlight once, it is henceforth considered to be lit by the sun forever. People tend to use glass for more role playing purposes, and to make the sunlight mechanics less nonsensical.

One day Toady will decide to more accurately model light. Unfortunately this will involved calculating the behavior of each individual photon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

Tantrums already? That's usually something that starts to happen when a fortress is collapsing, isn't it?

I'm not pointing any fingers, but a tyrannical toddler assigning everyone to the military may have made some folks unhappy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm surprised any of the squads return. Why would anyone come back here?!?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

The same reason people keep immigrating here? :v:

Those folks have the excuse that they don't know how bad things really are. And some of them apparently just get lost and find themselves here. But coming back once you've escaped? smh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IPA Regulations posted:

The hill dwarf thing sounds all right I guess, but I dunno I think after refamiliarising myself with this game I find it a little hard to get excited about what amounts to more horrific menus to navigate. I know it was a running joke like 5 years ago, but has Toady allotted any time for a UI pass like, ever? The more features and arcs get completed, the more impossible it'll get to remember how to navigate anything at all and the less meaningful it feels without an update to basic quality of life stuff.

Last I heard he's still against updating the UI. New stuff just keeps getting piled on top until the game is finished.
(The game will never be finished.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dallbun posted:

The first issue is fixable; the second is an advantage.

Truth. DF games have no victory conditions, and since you can't win every game ends either in disaster or boring FPS death. This tempts experienced players into manufacturing disaster, which isn't nearly as fun as when it happens naturally.

The most important trait for an overseer isn't game competence, but being able describe the action in and entertaining way (and to upload a poo poo ton of screenshots). Oh, and having a bunch of free time. It takes way longer to put together an LP than you expect.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's funny that some people are all "oh no don't put me in the military!" and others are "oh no don't take me out of the military!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Way to be selfish, Zebrin. Make some shirts for other people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

idhrendur posted:

I keep being surprised to see myself alive. I guess I just keep quietly doing my thing.

Geshud doesn't want you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think I died back in the second year or something stupid. Re-incarnate please. Non-dwarf immigrants like goblin scholars or elvish bards are fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Flying Twybil posted:

Well, uh... This was...something to write. It's a bit crazy in here, folks. We got an absolutely weak amount of terribly unskilled migrants, but they've helped to fill in missing holes. Everything that happened I think you can gather from the above, but I would like to note that the traders that did arrive exploded when their barrels of alcohol exploded from the leftovers of the lavacock.

Tragedy strikes again. :qq: I could have drunk that alcohol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Give him the book.

Then send an expedition to steal back the book.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IPA Regulations posted:

I am so tired of listening to some of these dwarves whine in the most piteous way. If the corpse of your loved one under the grate in the main hallway is so bothersome why not take some initiative and throw it into the magma like I ordered 2 weeks ago?

And now it's stink is choking everyone, so really your family has a lot to answer for.

:hmmyes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This is awesome and I'm caught up again, and actually trying DF out myself, I'm proud to say I'm *very* bad at it, a wereshrew wrecked my first fortress thoroughly, and some other werebeast a second time. Anywho, can I get redwarfed please?

Everyone is bad at it. Winning is so unthinkable that Toady hasn't even programed in victory conditions yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Surely our brave fighters can take a single naked zombie. Faster than building more traps.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Flying Twybil posted:

But, drat, it's not easy trying to remember how to do each and every little thing.

Nobody actually remembers. Just after a while your fingers start to move without having to check the wiki first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like pictures. I don't think anyone has ever complained about too many pictures.