Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

glam rock hamhock posted:

No dumb April fools joke, just game being released this month

Penny-Punching Princess - (Switch, PS Vita) - April 3rd
Minit - (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Linux, Mac) - April 3rd
Dark Rose Valkyrie - (PC) - April 10th
Extinction - (PC, PS4, Xbox One) - April 10th
Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs - (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) - April 10th
Maelstrom - (PC) - April 11th
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - (Xbox One) - April 11th
Rogue Aces - (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) - April 12th
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - (PS4) - April 17th
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia - (PC) - April 19
God of War - (PS4) - April 20th
Nintendo Labo Variety Kit - (Nintendo Switch) - April 20th
Nintendo Labo Robot Kit - (Nintendo Switch) - April 20th
Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion - (PC, Switch, PS4, Xbox One) - April 24th
Frostpunk - (PC) - April 24th
Gal*Gun 2 - (Switch, PS4) - April 24th
South Park: The Fractured But Whole - (Switch) - April 24th
Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition - (PS4, Switch) - April 24th
The Swords Of Ditto - (PS4, PC) - April 24th
Runbow - (PS4) - April 24th
Rick And Morty Simulator: Virtual Rick-Ality - (PS4, PC) - April 24th
Super Robot Wars X - (PS4, PS Vita) - April 26th
Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption - (PC, PS4, Xbox One) - April 25th

So this month's themes are dads, cardboard and of course christ who has risen

why isn't Monster Prom on this list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno what Gal*Gun is but the name makes me think of that guy who makes MSpaint fetish art of people turned into guns.

I think it's that

Or maybe it's the game where girls orgasm when you shoot them

Or maybe it's both? Idk but I'm pretty sure it's one of those extremely fetishy games that used to be Vita exclusives before the Vita died

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I also wanna finish Subnautica but I still feel so bitter about that game. Hard to convince myself to play it again.

I just finished it and I'm a bit curious what made you bitter. The final arc was a bit rough but not like terrible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can't actually beat the game without the cyclops so that's a softlock

That sucks though. I had a smooth experience, no idea it was so buggy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Raxivace posted:

Y'all always make these Yakuza games sound fun. If I didn't have so much on my plate at the moment I'd be jumping right into them.

The curse of videogames is that there are too many videogames

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
April Chat Thread: Asking you out to the Monster Prom

It comes out at the tail end of April though so it'll just have to be the May thread title after my gratuitous screenshot posting convinces everyone it was in fact April GotM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

what's going on in the fortnite thread

I just clicked on this and this was the second-to-most recent post:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if you're not a white nationalist, then what exactly are you trying to say with those tweets

just going "nuh-uh" is not a defense

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skypie posted:

I think I may have convinced my friend to play Monster Prom.

It seems like it'll be a very good game to play when you have friends over and want an activity but not like a super involved one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What kind of crime does the real yakuza do? I know the (American) mafia does extremely boring crime like laundering money through online poker, because boring crime is where the money is. I think the Sicilian mafia still does protection rackets, but then they actually protect the people who pay, making them basically the police

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't the actual 7th guest devs try to kickstart a third one and it failed miserably because everything that made 7th guest revolutionary at the time would make a very poorly designed game today

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's such a pain in the rear end getting either running on a modern computer at all (DOSbox does not like games with multiple discs) that I think most people playing them are following guides which all get you to limit the FPS or something. I played them like 5 years ago and had no issues with impossible puzzles.

I'd say 7th Guest is a very remarkable game for the era, and partially holds up. The puzzles are mostly good with some stinkers but there's some questionable design decisions. 11th Hour is technically more impressive and is easier to play these days but by that point there were more games on the market with the same level of competence--Myst came out less than six months after 7th Guest, and I have a sneaking suspicion nobody would care about 7th Guest if Myst had come out earlier than it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28PFvKNAWE

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I was a kid the first time I ever saw the word "horny" was in the 11th Hour guidebook, which like many other guidebooks of the era contained a novelization of the game that doubled as a walkthrough

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its because if a man is aroused they will appear to have a "horn" in their pants.

A quick google says this is partially right. "Horn" is old eighteenth century slang for an erection.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I admire the person who said "you know what I want on my wallpaper? Cats, flowers, and watering cans"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was like 9 I was helping my teacher put some stuff away in a storage room and she pointed to one of those big blue gym crash mat things and said something to the other teacher about 69ing on it and when I asked what she meant they both laughed at me and told me I could leave

Then I told my friends but none of them knew what 69 meant either

hoping I'll figure it out someday

I'm pretty sure she meant that it was 31% off at the store, so they only had to pay 69% of its original price. I'm glad your school was able to save money on gym mats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

univbee posted:

It was T7G, the microscope puzzle which worked on a principle not unlike Reversi/Othello but with different changing the pieces' color rules I think.

Anyway the way the puzzle is apparently programmed is that the computer AI goes through as many possible moves as it can in 1 second and then does the best move from the choices it could analyze in that limited time. This basically made the AI's strength entirely a function of your CPU's power, and with higher-end Pentiums computers could actually analyse all moves within that 1 second and would thus effectively play perfectly.

Oh I remember that one being hard. I don't remember what I did though--whether I powered through and beat it or just skipped it (since I think it had a built in ability to say "gently caress this poo poo" to individual puzzles)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samuringa posted:

Sometimes I type some stuff but realize nobody cares so I just close the tab

same, which is why every one of my posts is a gem. I only submit the finest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It feels like ~50% of AAA games made are Japanese, so, statistically speaking, ~50% of the ones I like should be from Japan all else being equal. Anime is cute though so in the end it's more like 60% for me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The point one of the commentators made about Japanese games being less corporate-driven and more single vision-driven feels right (like, I can't imagine an American Yoko Taro being successful in a large company--he'd be fine as an indie dev though) but it could be confirmation bias.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

How predictable, anime avatar squad is into Japanese games :hehe:

I'll have you know mine is a drawing by a western artist of a character from an anime video game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was at a localization panel at PAX years ago and one of them had a story. They were working on some game that had simultaneous localization and repeated content--some sort of MMO variant I think. At some point there was a bit of content that was only going to be released in NA for some reason. Apparently the Japanese writers had felt stifled by the Japanese ratings board, and decided to stick all the horribly violent poo poo they had wanted to put in into this content. The localizers had to inform them that no, the ESRB was not okay with children being decapitated on screen in a T rated game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There might be a few individual butt fanatics but Japanese games overall are all about boobs. You have far more notable butts per game in Western games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

univbee posted:

No they're still about that rear end, they just call them "hips".

I'd agree with this if you replaces hips with thighs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah there's a lot of cultural norms, both sexual and otherwise, that feel obvious and normal until you suddenly learn that it's just how the part of the world you're in behaves during this particular period of history. In particular, exactly how hidden sex should be varies an absolute fuckton, and what things count as sexual does too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

"Gaming culture" is weird since it's been a mainstream pop culture thing since its inception, and the largest market is overwhelmingly typical adults playing some phone puzzle game or something, but online people think it's a secret club based in the meritocracy of how good you are at dark souls or w/e.

Gaming is both an activity ("I play games") and an identity ("I am a gamer"). Once it's an identity it's vulnerable to tribalism and gatekeeping the way any other identity is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By any reasonable definition I'm a gamer but I don't like the label. I prefer to say I'm a person who plays a shitton of video games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The PS2 version of Okami had you attack by pressing a face button. One of the weapons distinguishes holding down the button and mashing it. Nothing strange here so far.

The Wii version, the one I played, replaced the attack button with "shake the controller" as so many games of that era did. Now suddenly you have to try to distinguish holding shake and mashing shake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked the weapon durability in BotW. And the shrines. It was a solid 100/100 game imo. Once-in-a-decade quality for sure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

You're wrong. Prince Sidon is cutest manliest fishboi and I want him to cradle me in his fins while he ravages my blue hole.

He's not the champion. Mipha is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's weird to me that people bitch about grinding blood vials in Bloodborne but seem perfectly fine with grinding g good weapons in BotW. BB has such better combat than BotW it's insane but whatevs

Also Okami might be might favorite game to a degree that it's hard for me to have a reasonable conversation about it

I never once had to grind for weapons in BotW. Basically the durability system was tuned tight enough that I got excited by good weapons dropping but not so tight that it was a resource to manage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

codenameFANGIO posted:

Just buy vials with your leftover echoes after you level up and never worry about it???

There being a non-obvious workaround doesn't mean it's good design, especially when the exact same developer making the exact same game came up with basically the perfect healing method back in Dark Souls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

What we should be discussing is our personal rankings of all 19 Atelier games.

I've only played four to completion but it's E&L>>>>Iris 2>Iris 1>>Iris 3

L&S is looking to sit between the good Irises. Maybe above Iris 2 if the story goes cool places.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

*blows the hot take horn*

The hottest take I have on tap is that Nier Automata is a bad game buoyed by good music and sexy character designs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the only longish series I've played every single game in is Fire Emblem so I'm gonna do my hot take rankings of it

Thracia 776
Blazing Blade (i.e. Fire Emblem no subtitle)
Awakening
Sacred Stones
Heroes
New Mystery of the Emblem
Path of Radiance
Genealogy of the Holy War
Tokyo Mirage Session #FE
Conquest
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Mystery of the Emblem
Radiant Dawn
Birthright
Binding Blade
Gaiden
Shadow Dragon
Revelation
Akaneia Chronicles (i.e. BSFE)
Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (i.e. FE1)

It was tricky ranking games when they often have huge problems and good parts that don't overlap at all (like, Genealogy and Conquest are almost mutually exclusive in where their good parts are) but this is my hot take and I'm standing by it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Marry gently caress kill Dark Souls games

Marry 1, gently caress 3, kill 2

same

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If someone made a hack of Path of Radiance that replaced the map combat animations with instant damage like the Radiant Dawn ones I'd put that hack as high as you put Path of Radiance
e: FE1 over anything is kind of ambitious too but I guess I can see the argument

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
don't read youtube comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I haven't played Final Fantasy XIV in a long time, not since the previous expansion came out. So my account doesn't have Stormblood. One of the things that really bothered me about FFXIV was the gated content and being forced to go through a lot of group content in order to continue with large portions of the game. Is this still true?

Yeah Stormblood is basically just Heavensward but more of it

• Locked thread