Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The F&F films are better superhero movies than the MCU films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

confused posted:

I haven't seen any of the F&F movies. Should I? If so, which ones?

You should watch every single one of them. In release order, not timeline order.

If you need a companion to them, some of the guys at Giant Bomb did a commentary track for the first seven films.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BwB3SBPOg
Trailer for the Hunger Games prequel, The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes. The story takes place 60 years before the original books/movies and is about young Coriolanus Snow (Donald Sutherland's character) and how he took the first steps in his rise to power. The trailer actually gives away quite a bit of the story, especially how the actual Hunger Games ends like halfway through the story.

Maybe I'm just a hater, but who gives a poo poo about a film like this? Like, why is this necessary? What is this film adding to the overall story?

IDK. I also just generally hate prequel stories in general. They are rarely, if ever, done well and they are almost always completely loving pointless.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s to make money

Granted, but there are so many people that I see get excited whenever any prequel films/shows get revealed.

Maybe I'm just broken in the brain, but I literally cannot think of a time when I've gotten excited to watch anything considered a prequel to something existing.

I don't watch slashers, so I wouldn't be able to comment on this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I have never read the DUNC book and I still haven't seen DUNC part 1. I should probably correct that.

Oh god. What a terrible page start.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

is DUNC part 1 accessible to people who have no knowledge of the books outside of knowing that it is a sand planet with giant worms?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don't like Star Wars, so I've never seen Rogue One - but The Creator seems cool af and I'll go see it in theaters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've heard very very positive things about this from people I know that got to see it early.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Strays looks dreadful.

I genuinely have no idea who the film is for.

I assume 20 year old college guys?

It just looks like the most dire poo poo. I haven't been too impressed with much of Universal's offerings this year.

I didn't like Knock at the Cabin. Renfield was an incredible let down. I'm seeing Fast X tomorrow, but not expecting it to necessarily be amazing.

Cocaine Bear isn't my style of film, so I haven't seen that one, but I hear that one is good.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Super Mario Bros? M3GAN? Puss in Boots?

Also Oppenheimer is good

Super Mario Bros looks like the kind of insufferable film that would make me rather jump head first into a wood chipper.

I'm not a horror guy so no M3GAN. Puss In Boots was last year. Oppenheimer isn't out yet but I'm kinda over Chris Nolan.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

I promise you they give the lowest of the low absolute dolt nepotism PA the subtitles job. It's time consuming and nobody checks it.

I remember watching something and the character said he's my Rock of Gibraltar and the captions said "he's my rocka-j'balla"

Fun fact - the company I work for did the subtitling for the Barbie trailers. As for why it's looking all fucky in Teagone's screenshot is probably from something that happened after it left our hands.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I love how MI movies always have a “here’s some of our sick stunts” as trailers/marketing and let me tell you, it works every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcusKsX10Xo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'd rather you didn't.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Aaron Taylor Johnson is so goddamn boring. I hate to be mean about an actor but I am just not interested when he is on screen, ever, and I'm tired of the most boring leading men continuing to be presented as if they're somehow appealing.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to feel this way. I'm sure he's a nice dude or whatever but to me, he is the most boring bland thing since Sam Worthington. I feel like the mid-2000s was cranking out a ton of "generic white male pseudo-action star" types of actors that were all more bland than bleached white bread. ATJ feels like a continuation of that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Holdovers looks incredibly self-indulgent but I don't even care I really liked that trailer and I'm ready to watch it and feel sad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Man, "looks like AI" comments are going to get really exhausting in the near future, eh?

As exhausting as "looks like anime" comments get throughout the forums as a form a criticism.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

teagone posted:

I think it's important to judge an artist's work based on their intent and what their goals were

Nah. Intent and goals mean jackshit. It’s either a good film or it’s not.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I hate anime

Can you elaborate on what this means?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly I generally don't like animated stuff, I know it's dumb to dismiss a whole type of art but it never really did much for me. I didn't even really like Disney animated movies as a kid. And my first roommate in college was huge into anime and we watched a bunch together and like I said I just disliked it a lot. Sorry

Nothing wrong with that. It's a completely fair viewpoint. If you're not into animated stuff at all, that's just what it is. Hell, I don't watch horror stuff. At all. I don't care how good you tell me it is. If it's horror or horror adjacent, I'm not watching it. Zero interest ever.

I think a lot of people get prickly when someone will say something like "I love <insert animated shows here such as Adventure Time, Futurama, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers> but I hate anime."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Kelsey Grammer is 68 and still looks and sounds basically as he always did. He's a little thicker-set, a little greyer, but he carries the age extremely well.

Kelsey Grammar is 15 years older in this show than John Mahoney was when the original Frasier started airing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The trailer for Argylle really caught me off guard because from the premise that was listed online months ago, they're making it seem like there is a big secret twist, which if things haven't changed, was spoiled in the information about the film that was out there months ago.

Also, the prior information made it seem like Henry Cavill was the protag of the main film, not just a bit part.

TBH - the trailer actually made me less interested in the overall film.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tui5vl13Gqg

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

btw if you watch that trailer and think it looks cool and haven't seen the rehearsal you need to go do that immediately

The Rehearsal is literally the weirdest and most baffling thing I have ever seen on TV. Every episode had me wondering how things could escalate and how he pulled any of this off in the first place.

It feels like HBO just rolled in a dump truck of money and said "Give us 6 episodes of whatever you want" and then just put it on air.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not gonna say that this looks bad but like I’ve seen numerous “Sketch Troupes Make a Movie” movies and this doesn’t look better than like, Hot Rod or Mystery Team or Brigsby Bear or even that one movie the Workaholics guys made

edit: it is kinda funny how many of these movies have themes about maturing into adults/being seen as childish

edit 2: also none of these movies will ever be as good as Popstar no matter how many attempts they geturl]

Correct.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

huh.

Well I heard it did but maybe they are holding off, you're right that isn't out. I'm also on bereavement leave so I haven't heard anything since last week when I was told that. Fall Guy was going to move too, but looks like it is staying still. There are wild rumors swirling about things moving around so maybe I should just not say anything until it's official especially since the rumors at work turn out to be bullshit more often than the general internet it seems.

edit: like how many times I've heard the SAG strike is ending in a day or two.

I'm baffled that Fall Guy is a March release. It should be a May/early summer film.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

It feels like a summer movie but less competition is better for box office. There's a whole department who handles these release dates and it's practically a science and always in motion.

Yeah, the "science" of it is fascinating. My office gets those release date emails from Universal. Always fascinating to see where things are placed and how they change. The strikes have only made those more fun and spicy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

There it is. Fall Guy moving from March 1 to May 3rd. Dune definitely won't move now surely.

I hope

I've been saying for months that Fall Guy makes far far far far more loving sense as an early summer release than a March release. This was a good call imo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

All of my favorite Japanese films have a pool in them. :pervert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMuhwVlca4

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So my company's trailer team worked on the Furiosa trailer (managing the translations/subtitling for international versions) so I got a chance to watch this in one of our office's big theater rooms.

It looks very good on a big screen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

3kYoL was great btw

It was a perfect cozy film imo.

That film felt like a nice warm breeze on a midsummer evening.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

You’re right. Once you make a bad movie it’s literally impossible to ever make a good one again.

Which bad movie did Miller make? No names are coming to mind.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm gonna be real here Beyond Thunderdome kinda sucks rear end

I guess my view is if someone asserts that a director has made bad films but then the best example of a bad film is a film they made is one from 40 years prior in their career, I'm willing to the give the director the benefit of the doubt.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Peanut President posted:

tbf bethesda is pretty lazy with world design so it looks like Megaton but also Diamond City

the weird thing is that they want it to fit in the established canon of the show but iirc it takes place after california has been rebuilt into an actual society again.

The Fallout lore is dogshit stupid.

Everything Fallout related that came out after Fallout 2 is complete trash. Yes, even New Vegas.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I know people need to get paid, but Patrick Warburton and Danny Trejo, no.

Wikipedia posted:

Warburton is a "lifelong conservative" but admits to having "very liberal views" on other issues.
The most devastating thing I've learned today.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Fall Guy too

I'm so glad Fall Guy got pushed to May. It has such "summer movie" vibes and releasing it in March was a baffling choice.

Also, it would have gotten its lunch eaten by Dune just like MI7 had happen from Oppenheimer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Dune owns March now and Fall Guy's new date is so good we're worried some other film might still move into the slot and push us out

I hope not. May is such a great time for it.

Quiet Place is in June and I don't see that moving.
Another Bad Boys film is supposedly coming in June and that's another I don't see moving.

Furiosa and the new Planet of the Apes are both releasing at the end of May, so those two will be fighting each other, but at least it gives Fall Guy a three week uncontested run.

But yeah, at this point, I don't see anything moving up anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

Huh, he really is going back to pulpier action rather than another cerebral sci-fi. Well, Dredd ruled so I'll give it a shot.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Texas California alliance? Might as well add aliens and time travel that’d be more realistic.

Yeah, honestly this was my take away as well. The film and premise seem neat, but the whole "California and Texas are on the same side" is such a minor thing but completely breaks any suspension of disbelief.

How unfortunate. :negative:

I think the main reason the Texas/California alliance is so baffling is because America is so Us vs Them politically and Texas and California have generally always been on opposite sides so one side would have "our guy" in power. I literally cannot fathom a governmental situation that would make Texas and California team up. Especially since this film doesn't seem like it's set in the distant future or past or anything like that. It's a very "near modern" setting. It just breaks any immersion I could possible have from the beginning.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 13, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

acksplode posted:

Yeah the CA central valley is pretty Texas-aligned. It's probably not difficult to come up with an alternative history where it drives state politics rather than the coast

I mean, the last "close" presidential election in California was in 2004 - aka two decades ago. It has only been more split since there.

2000 - 5.9m (Dem) vs. 4.6m (GOP)
2004 - 6.7m (Dem) vs. 5.5m (GOP)
2008 - 8.2m (Dem) vs. 5m (GOP)
2012 - 7.8m (Dem) vs. 4.8m (GOP)
2016 - 8.7m (Dem) vs. 4.4m (GOP)
2020 - 11.1m (Dem) vs. 6m (GOP)

The last time a Republican presidential candidate took California was in 1988 - 35 years ago and that was just by a sliver - 5.1m v. 4.7m

Sure, the CA central valley is red as hell, but there is no reality in which in the present or very near future that they overtake California politics.

Honestly, it would be more likely that Texas goes blue and aligns with California over California turning red and aligning with Texas.

For comparative numbers, this was the last two decades in Texas:

2000 - 3.8m (GOP) vs. 2.4m (Dem)
2004 - 4.5m (GOP) vs. 2.8m (Dem)
2008 - 4.5m (GOP) vs. 3.5m (Dem)
2012 - 4.6m (GOP) vs. 3.3m (Dem)
2016 - 4.7m (GOP) vs. 3.9m (Dem)
2020 - 5.9m (GOP) vs. 5.3m (Dem)

The gap is widening in California while it narrows in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Y’all are bad at media literacy.

Go on...