Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Holy ship, I came back from vacation in Virginia and wHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED WHILE I WAS GONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Covenant posted an hour-long Q&A podcast with the 2.0 designers. Talking about how they came to some decisions and what's planned for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsRODdBYx0

There's a TON of info in there. For example, Lambda shuttle confirmed to have a rear arc...but it's only a 2 die attack instead of 3.

Lambda shuttle's dice don't matter. Its only function is as a Palpmobile.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Surely you've caught a ship out of position with a 5 red die range 1 attack with a lambda? That poo poo melts.

Why would I ever have a 5 red die attack in a Lambda? Expose? Mathematically inferior to focus.

Raged posted:

With evades only changing a die, 2 dice can matter

Wait, what's this change? I haven't read up all the new rules yet, WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

Evade tokens can only change a face on an existing die. They don't add an additional result anymore.

This is why the zero agility ships (Ghost, Decimator) both got Reinforce instead (which cannot reduce damage below 1, either).

I'm okay with this change.

Reinforce makes sense for those ships, and limiting it that way seems balanced on the face of it.

And I'll finally be able to push damage through on those loving three-green ships by rolling four hits. Fuckers deserve it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Oops, I meant four. I'm getting my shuttles mixed up.

Nah, I've actually never had that happen. Maybe I've just been playing against people that know better, but I've never gotten that wondershot. I'll occasionally push some damage through the the three-die attack on a shuttle, but that isn't what it's really there FOR. If I'm not taking it as a Palpmobile, I'm not taking a Lambda.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I want to posture like I'm going to take some kind of principled stand, but I know that would be a lie. I'm going to get two of each conversion kit when they come out, because I have a massive collection of ships and I want to run TIE swarms / take-your-ex-to-work-day / protectorate lists. I want it all. I want it alllllllll. Just waiting until the app comes out to start building lists for daaaaays.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Found out my FLGS has a membership program. You pay $5 to join, then every $50 you spend in a month gets you $5 off something, $100 gets you $10, etc.

I guess that's alright, $45 conversion kits before tax which I would have to pay online anyway, along with maybe shipping.

Has anyone else pre-ordered the core and got confirmation of the Damage Deck promo? The guy at the store couldn't find anything about it on the order page and said it's probably something that's done when they put the actual order in.

Be real careful with your flgs about that. I preordered Twilight Imperium 4th ed from mine so I would get the hardback promo book (I'm a complete slut for hardbacks), but they didn't put their order in until the preorder swag had already run out. I got nothing.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

TremorX posted:

The TIE/LN to FO mod is a little bit worse, since the only change in the model's detail is the FO's vertical arrangement of the engine nozzles on the back that I doubt most people even notice if it's not pointed out.

Also the solar panels are more detailed and detailed differently. And the laser mounts. And the scale is slightly different, but you'd need a comparison model to really notice that.

If it were a competition, I'd say that you're within your rights to complain about a ship that was painted to resemble a similarly-modeled ship. Regionals or Nationals or Worlds? Yeah, kind of a dick move. It's attempting to force an error, and that's unsportsmanlike conduct.

I wouldn't care if it was in casual play.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my local league had it's final night tonight. Dust settled, score is done. 13 players. My girlfriend came in 8th. Me? I came in 2nd. Somehow. What the gently caress? I am terrible at this game

Everyone else is more terrible. Never not joust.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Don't worry, just wait for Funwing Second Edition.

I heard that in Funwing Second Edition you can put the unique Han Solo crew card on the unique Han Solo ship AND IT STILL COUNTS.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Honestly I would be okay with an EPT that let you use the crew ability of a named pilot, but it should definitely come with a cost.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Focused Pilot
You may equip a unique crew card with the same name as the pilot of the ship with this upgrade. Before the beginning of the Activation phase, you must announce whether you are using the pilot ability, crew ability, or both. If you choose both, gain a stress immediately.

edit: it would, of course, have to be costed appropriately

Cobbsprite fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 26, 2018

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah but y-wings have barrel roll now. Could it theoretically be possible if you barrel roll forwards?

Unless I misread the rules, all barrel rolls are now horizontal-only movement. No forward or back, just side to side.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Raged posted:

We should be a month out from the app being released

On a scale of 1-7 on the Bristol stool chart, how bad is it going to be

Don't get me wrong I love flying it, but 5 T-65s is OP. The only big threat is harpoon lists. Spreading out enough for the first engagement and then jamming them up in a furball counters harpoon really well.

I have to reluctantly agree. 3 red dice with 2 green dice is pretty solid, and if you use flight-assist astromech on a rookie pilot with integrated astromech and s-foils, you have a lot of reposition options and a combined six health. That's a heavy weight of firepower, and solid resilience behind it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I think it's the FAA + S-Foils, not necessarily the dice count itself.

It's a LOT harder to arc-dodge 5 T-65s with FAA and S-Foils than it sounds. Palp Aces/Triple Aces would eat this list for lunch (a long lunch) if they weren't so squirrely.

Honestly, I think this list would break Palp Aces or Trip Aces. Yes, the FAA and S-Foils makes an enormous difference, because it allows the X-Wings to respond to dodge attempts and set up overlapping fields of fire. But the dice those X-Wings are rolling is what takes this from solid to deadly. The glut of red dice means that they'll be able to run out a defender's tokens and push through with the hits that will take the aces off the board. And that much health backed up by two red dice means that they can survive long enough to deal out the serious punishment.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Nah son, that poo poo be wrecked by the Vater McGoots tanto list I've been practicing for Worlds.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

hoiyes posted:

LOL he took quad jumps 7-0.

That's crazy. If we had a meta that would still exist three months from now, I'd start taking bets on whether or not it spreads.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Talas posted:

As part of the goodbyes to 1.0, my LGFS is doing a FFA X-wing tournament with one 50 point ship per person, the last ship alive wins. The catch is, when you are destroyed, you can come back to the field with the same ship with less hull, fewer shields or one or two upgrades missing depending on the roll of dice. You only have four "lives".

What would you take to an event like that?

I'm thinking about taking Wullffwarro with PTL, 3PO, EU and Luke crew... or maybe a Final Form Nym, but I'm worried about being focused or taking too many ions.

I'd consider this Falcon with durability boost. You don't stand to lose much during your respawns, and you get free offensive and defensive rerolls.

Rey (45)
R2-D2 (Crew) (4)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Total: 50

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Raged posted:

Has anyone run the numbers on 2.0 Ion? It appears to me that it will actually be harder to ionize a ship since you need at a minimum of 2 hits to cause 1 token.

On the other hand, you can stack up a lot more ions (especially on large ships) because every hit past the first adds an additional ion token. I think it's going to end up balanced somewhat better than what it was before.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Raged posted:

That SSD for Armada looks tight. Still won't get me back into it though.

What's this about SSD for Armada?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

flightless greeb posted:

...If you can snag some collection for pennies on the dollar ...

LOL, like any Wangs player is doing anything OTHER than trying to peddle their ships for the full MSRP or as close as they think they can get. I've seen people selling regular small-base ships for $14 and trying to call it a deal.

If people were actually selling ships for less than half the retail price, I'd probably go all-in and load up on them just so I have a bunch to paint in interesting ways or leave all over my workspace. But no dice, ain't nobody going cheap on them.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Holy poo poo, if I'm reading this right from the YASB 2.0 program (and if they've got their point values right), Heavy Laser Cannons are CHEAP now. You can now bring SIX of the lovely little Hutt fighters with HLCs for MEGA SHOOTY.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I gotta say that 4-LOM (crew) + Static Discharge Vanes looks pretty tasty.

This of course assumes that 2.0 has the same "nothing is truly simultaneous" logic as 1.0 where you'd get 1 ion token at a time from 4-LOM.

Use 4-LOM, get 2 ion tokens. Give one to enemy, receive stress. Accept second ion token.

Honestly, I'm reading that it probably won't work that way. Static Discharge Vanes says "Before you would gain 1 ion or jam token". Since 4-LOM gives you TWO tokens, I'd read that as not working together. Justify it as being too much ion surge for the vanes to discharge.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

This is what I'm spitballing as a Vader+Miniswurm list. It has a 4-point initiative bid to give you control of initiative, Vader has Cluster Missiles to help you dust up swarms, and the mini-swurm is at PS2 to grant an edge over fullswurms. If you want to give up some of the bid for more dakka, you could pull the Cluster Missiles off Vader, push the Obsidians up to Black Squadron Aces, and give them Crack Shot.

Darth Vader (70)
Supernatural Reflexes (12)
Fire-Control System (3)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Afterburners (8)

"Night Beast" (26)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (24)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

What's the heckin deal with calculate

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Do you lose calculate tokens the way you lose focus tokens, or do you keep them?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

:reasonable things:

Don't try to make sense of entitled whiny pissbabies. They are unmanageable, and they like being that way.

Best thing to do with people who bitch about how FFG is handling the new version is to ignore them. They're just making noise.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Funzo posted:

I played around with the app at Gen Con too. Walked right past it Sunday afternoon, and there was nobody else around so I just screwed around for a few minutes to build a ~175 point Dash.

Speaking of which, lookit dis:

Dash Rendar (100)
Outmaneuver (6)
Proton Rockets (7)
Luke Skywalker (30)
Kanan Jarrus (14)
Stealth Device (*)
Outrider (14)
Rigged Cargo Chute (4)

Total: 181

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

that sounds awful why would anyone want to play in that. "sick of 1.0 yet? heres the absolute worst cesspit of 1.0!"

Because I know the exact poo poo they'll bring out because they think it's OP and unbeatable, I'll trot out my killer list, and push their poo poo in.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

This is what I'm spitballing as a "not relying on meta prediction, just looks fun to play" Imperial 4-ship list.

Soontir Fel (52)
Afterburners (8)

Omicron Group Pilot (43)
Director Krennic (5)
Admiral Sloane (10)

"Deathfire" (32)
Skilled Bombardier (2)
Seismic Charges (3)

"Pure Sabacc" (44)
Ruthless (1)

Total: 200

Scoots is in light form. Afterburners for his maximum ability to dodge enemy arcs, but pulled the Stealth Device that I was considering. He's a little lighter than what I'm expecting to be his "pure form", but I have a lot of experience throwing him around on the table, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to do well by him. OGP carries Krennic to optimize somebody, probably Scoots or Pure Sabacc, and Sloane will act as an AOE buff device. I'm planning to keep him in the midst of the enemy, and probably daisy-chain Pure Sabacc's Ruthless boost off of him. Pure Sabacc is there to do damage and tempt enemy fire. He can be used to either tempt bad shots or punish them depending on whether they focus or avoid. Deathfire has the gimmick of getting to shoot and drop a bomb after he's blown up, so I'll keep him in the furball.

The game plan here is to put the shuttle and bomber in the middle, Sabacc on one side, and Scoots on the other. Shuttle and bomber rush to get in close and mix it up, Sabacc and Scoots go to flank and punish. If they focus one flanker, it runs and attempts to re-engage. I expect them to focus the shuttle first, then whichever flanker is most vulnerable.

In practice, I'm predicting that it'll turn into a massive fustercluck. The shuttle will get one pass, and then will either be destroyed or be relegated to buffing the team without a shot to take. Sabacc will probably get in one solid shot and spend a lot of time doing a Threepio impression (running from danger), Scoots will probably get caught in too many arcs and killed, and the bomber will be a little pain until he gets whacked.

Thoughts?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I'm still adapting to the new system and haven't really gotten a great feel for it yet, but how does this strike others as an ord-heavy Imp listing?

You get munitions! And YOU get munitions!

Major Vynder (41)
Saturation Salvo (6)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

“Redline” (44)
Trajectory Simulator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Skilled Bombardier (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Seismic Charges (3)
Ablative Plating (4)

Major Rhymer (34)
Saturation Salvo (6)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Proton Rockets (7)
Proton Bombs (5)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Was looking at some of the Force abilities ... the one that says you can look at an opponent's ship dial. Is there anything saying that they can't change their mind and move the dial to something else after you look at it? Or go back and forth between looking at it and changing it for days?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Armada was not a well-designed game, and its price point was always prohibitively high. Is it really a surprise? Or a loss, really?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of Fly Casual, is there a goon discord for it? I didn't realize it was a thing and have been playing all my games in TTS.

What is this Fly Casual, if it isn't TTS? And if there's a Discord for spaceships, I'm so in.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

In extended? Quad i5s probably have some life over on the Resistance side.

Not sure about FO

Six Omega Squadron Aces with Crack Shot will be a pretty nasty list. Initiative 3 will let them out-maneuver anything that isn't an ace, and their numbers will let them get aces in the crosshair arc for Crack Shot to push the damage through. You have an eight-point bid to take choice of initiative. Played with a runner group and a hammer group, you could really make a mess of a lot of lists.

It's kind of a boring TIE/fo swarm, but when well played it has a lot of potential. IMO, ymmv.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Funzo posted:

I finally got ... the basic ... garbage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the timing of circular tokens is wrong; it should be before any other "during the end phase" effects.

Honestly, I think the way they're ruling it makes the most sense. Tokens are a "during this round" thing, and so it makes the most sense for them to last for the duration of the end phase. I mean, that's what we were already doing with Corran Horn and his "double tap" pilot ability in v1. Someone wasn't super-careful with the wording, but that's clearly the intent.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

If you're really serious about dodging their first round attack, set up flush on the edge and point 'em left or right. Take one turn to fly left or right, maybe K if you feel frisky. Guarantee to avoid the token stack, but you sacrifice some positioning.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

My response depends on what they say. If they say "I would have won if it wasn't for this mistake I made", I'll talk about why it was a mistake and how they could have prevented it and help them learn from it and become a better player. If they say "I would have won if it wasn't for this roll of the dice" (and it wasn't some absurdly bad luck where I feel bad for them), I'll disagree and say "Nah, this is what your mistake was" and pick some random thing they intended to do. Not necessarily an actual mistake they made, but something that wasn't random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I don't talk to my X-Wing tournament opponents post-game, win, lose or draw. They're a zero and I'm a hero.

I don't even acknowledge my opponents during tournaments. I act like I can't tell how their ships are moving, act like I'm playing against a ghost, and always end by saying "See, this is why we murdered you in that dirty Belarus bar, Stanley. You deserved it."