Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kiimo posted:

Tony G better than both

Neither gates nor gonzalez was half the all around tight end that Witten was. Witten was actually a blocker and half a lineman rather than just an oversized receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a neat cape posted:

Who loving cares about blocking

You ask in a forum whose favorite players are often offensive linemen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a neat cape posted:

His job was to catch passes, not block.

If that were the case he would have been a WR not a TE.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Blocking TE no longer meaningfully exist

I know. Witten retired.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tony Romo being left out of the hall will be a bigger travesty than Rivers' eventual snub.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Man and his dog posted:

Pretty sure every senior QB gives poo poo to the rookie QB.

Romo and Dak were pals that poo poo on Sanchez instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hell i don’t know about offseason. I’m just still laughing at week 17 that year. Dak comes out for two drives, gets a score. Romo comes out for one drive and effortless charges down the field for a TD. Then sanchez comes in and every sideline shot after he fucks up is Tony and Dak laughing at him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

but drat seriously if dez doesn't get signed somewhere. Dude just fell apart.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

My father terrell owens was better the first season that he didn't get signed than Dez is right now and it's not that close

hosed up if true.

i know it's true I just wanted to say that. god drat what happened dez?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kiimo posted:

You mean besides the part where he only ever got separation because he was big and fast and never learned to run proper routes so when his speed slipped all you had was a big slow dude who is blanketed by secondary and in the slim chance he does get the ball in his hands he drops it most of the time?

I never thought Dez would just be another Tony Romo wonder that looks semi-decent to bad the year after Romo and then just disappears entirely after. Tony Romo was really loving good, y'all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Joey Freshwater posted:

This makes me wonder

Using this case as an example, if the girl from 22 years ago who decided not to testify changes her mind now and comes forward, would there be a court case? Does not testifying make it so you can’t ever again? It seems like you should be able to but I dont know if there’s a statute of limitations or whatever on this kind of stuff.

There are statutes of limitation on most crimes. It’s why Cosby could only be charged with some of his most recent assaults.

My personal guess is a bag man paid her off and that’s how this all went away. Don’t forget that the assaulters were 21 and 22 and posted $20k bonds right after being arrested.

Further, if her testimony was the only evidence, i doubt the grand jury brings indictment. There was certainly more evidence to support the claim that we’ll never see.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

JFC they probably used a bail bondsman who puts up the money for you, what is this insane theory crafting

Bondsmen put up the bail for a fee usually 10% of the bail that is non-refundable. Most college age students on spring break aren’t flush with thousands of cash.

Regardless of how bail was posted and how the victim was silenced, there was enough evidence for a grand jury to indict them both in 1996 in Texas.

The most likely situation is they did something to that gal and for some reason she didn’t want to go to court. There are insane challenges against women even today to pursue rape charges because they get paraded around as a slut with their entire sexual history scrutinized as if that somehow justifies what happened to them. This is significantly better today than it was in 1996. Texas only got rid of the spousal-exception to their rape statutes in 1994.

Yeah my bag man guess is pulled out of my rear end. My hunch that patricia assaulted that girl is because in the majority of assault cases the guy did in fact assault the girl. False rape claims are an extreme outlier and a significant number of cases never go to trial because of the confrontation clause.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I guess it's good you have high standards, but I think it's pretty naive to think anyone is telling their potential employer about a charge that ended up going nowhere over two decades ago.

I’ve been applying for a lot of jobs (:lol: don’t go to law school) and helping non-lawyer friends look for their own. I have had to fill out a lot of background check forms. Quite a few have asked about any arrest whether or not there were charges filed. Some limit only in the last 10 years. Some ask for all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I totally get the frustration over this. He looks completely guilty, and appears to have only gotten away because of how crummy the justice system is for victims of sex crimes. But... there is literally nothing to be done about it now. You can't have anyone who was ever charged with a crime blackballed, it's not fair for anyone and doesn't help the victim. All it does is feed people's unsatisfied need for punishment.

If he showed any type of contrition or anything, i’d be in a camp that would support his further employment as a head coach. As it is, he has zero credibility going forward on a variety of subjects. I firmly believe that if he was presented with a situation where one of his players assaulted someone and he has the ability to sweep it under the rug that he will, as he’s done with his own.

I don’t think he should be barred from employment because he did something heinous decades ago. I don’t think that an unrepentant rapist should be the head coach of a professional sports team any more than I think that Ben Roethlisberger should be a QB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I understand that but, would the Lions would have head coaching candidates filling out an application like they were hiring someone for a 9-5 job? Like, at that level, when someone's been in the league for as long as Patricia has, are they even still checking those boxes? I dunno. And if not, I guess that's on the Lions.

If you’re giving a guy millions of dollars to be the public face of your organization you should do your due diligence in background investigation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Strobe posted:

Yeah that's the one thing you do whether you're innocent or not. Don't say things to the press while it's a big deal, don't say anything without a lawyer present. It literally does not matter whether you're innocent or not, don't loving do it.

the statute of limitations for texas regarding rape charges against him expired 12 years ago. He can say/admit anything without legal liability in a criminal sense. This isn't a "don't talk to cops" situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Couple of pages ago, but the new kicking rules seem to eliminate the onside kick entirely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grittybeard posted:

They might make the pop up onside kick maybe more reasonable to try--like where you pop the kick up and hope to land it toward the sideline around the 20-30.

But yeah for the traditional big bounce onside this seems awful.

I misread the rules. I thought it was saying kicking team cannot move until ball hits the ground or is touched.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The NFL is really trying to kill off viewership, aren't they?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ehud posted:

I feel like why should I watch football at this point

The effect of the game on its players is awful

The anthem stuff is dumb and annoying

The dolphins are bad

same except cowboys wasted the best QB they'll ever have and will be 8-8 for the rest of my life. I haven't been watching near as much the past few years anyways and I'm just going to watch even less now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

chuds on my facebook are defending the NFL's right to set workplace policy because I called the NFL owners a bunch of snowflakes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Get ready for the new standing. This is literally never going away.

Rooney already said that the owners left "disrespect to the flag/anthem" deliberately vague and that fists in the air would also count.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Philthy posted:

Aren't most NFL teams subsidized through the government, and have certain deals to be broadcast on national channels? Wouldn't this move this to a freedom of speech issue since the NFL and the teams are not privately owned outright, and granted government sponsored public rights for broadcasts and tax breaks?

I mean, Trump was even railing about this very fact that us tax payers are the ones propping up these teams, what a waste of money for people having free speech etc.

Some legal scholars (and by that I mean a published friend of mine) has solid arguments that NFL players are not private employees due to the massive federal funding etc. that the NFL receives.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boosh! posted:

From Newsday:

This is cool and good that he's saying players can do whatever the gently caress and he'll cover for them entirely. Unless I'm reading that wrong, the Jets have had the best reaction to this of all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

I believe that's how it will work for everyone

Teams are allowed to dictate punishment for players for violating the policy even if the teams have to pay the fine. Johnson is the only owner that has came out and said “idgaf, kneel, stand, sit, i got your back regardless”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

Incorrect

How am i reading what he said wrong? Other people like stephen jones have came out only to say stuff like glad everyone is forced to stand. I read a statement from him earlier that said he stands by whatever his players choose to do whether that’s kneel, stand, or sit. I may have read something wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

I was talking to someone else. sorry for the mix-up. I admit fault for it

Gotcha. I hate when that happens. I'll be typing up a response to someone, but didn't quote them. By the time I've posted 2-3 other posts come in and mine seems out of place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

even worse, I posted in the wrong thread and felt really embarrassed to bring that up. But now I have done it because i want to be able to talk to god tonight without feeling bad about myself. I was unable to get any sleep and will have to be awake for at least two days now because Of what i did. That's life

Such a heavy burden that we posters share.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Isn't vegas a team of guys that were almost all B squad guys from elsewhere? I was under the impression it's a team full of the best backups from everywhere else but no one who was really an established superstar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder if you took your pick of the best NFL 2nd stringers to build a full 55 man roster how well you'd do. I don't think you'd have any individual outstanding performances, but you'd have such depth that you'd dominate the second half of the season. I think they'd be an instant contender. I like the idea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think it would have to be 8 teams and an expansion to a 22 game schedule (20 games minimum) to keep the same scheduling format and division balance.

Change the scheduling format, double the roster size, fewer regular season games, more post season games, do something (anything at all really) about the fact you're turning brains to pudding and hanging people out to dry after 1.5 years, and stop being racist shitheads.

Basically the NFL is dead in 5 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is grounds for the NFLPA to immediately dissolve the CBA with cause, but I doubt they do anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kiimo posted:

Imagine being such a piece of poo poo you read that story and rush to defend the airline

I made a facebook post about the kaep collusion poo poo and have already had a racist uncle ramble about at least trump didn't kill anyone like the democrats and kaepernick was a bad football player and another chud defending jerry jones of all people. :smithicide:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Epic High Five posted:

I guess you could mention how Termpo killed 4600 in PR or the 1500 children that disappeared under his watch but realistically you should just tell the chud to gently caress off and lick the boots of his preferred Strong Daddy pederast in private so good citizens can go about being insane and despondent in peace

Jerry Jones is a literal garbage elemental and like McCain the world will be a better place when he shuffles loose this mortal coil lmao

Yeah but I don't want to tell my uncle to gently caress off and die, because, you know he's my uncle. It's easy when I don't know the person, but this is my family. So I will foreverial keep yelling into the void and hope that one day I can get someone to change their mind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Joey Freshwater posted:

What did he say

Some deposition transcripts got out. There are at least 14 owners under oath saying that the anthem protests are why they refuse to sign Kaepernick or Reed including Jerry Jones specifically mentioning that Trump called and talked to him about it. At least half the coaches in the league feel he's a starting QB being held out by management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You may not be able to point to an individual gaff here, but this is still just beautiful every time I see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVnLsODqqg

• Locked thread