Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I expect it to be a choice without consequence, like with the Yesterwind leader in the Demon Path in Soul Nomad. You can say whether you trusted him or not, all it chages is one line from him alone. Empty choices are 'easier'. One little thing, but the plot still keeps going on as standard. You don't have to go on and check later what you said before.

Of course, the more potentially hateful thing to do would be to lock something hours later on such a choice. RPGs started adding things like this to sell guide books and the like. And of course, this is a fangame, so there's a presumption of perfect knowledge and/or perfect play and min/maxing to hell and back, rather than a regular person playing relatively 'normally'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I personally think people are already thinking too far with their ideas for "what would be better"

It's supposedly a Pokemon game. Pokemon games don't have deep poo poo like justification for why a diary is read by the player. It's there, you read it. If it is addressed by an NPC it's done in one sentence "I see you have been snooping in my diary!" DONE

With optional "DIE NOW" if you're feeling particularly cruel about it. Nintendo have pulled such, so....

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Talk.

It is NEVER enough to simply say 'this sucks'. If you want to actually help, or even have your opinion be listened to rather than ignored, you MUST state the problem so it can be talked about and even argued, and maybe even a change will happen.

If you don't talk about it, it can't change.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 31, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm left with the impression; "Vaguely interesting, but it doesn't matter."

Does this suddenly give us a purpose, a reason? Not really. Will it mean anything for the future, for us and others? No. Does it change everything, or anything? No. Does it change our situation for better or worse? Not really.

The thought of a broken person creating a broken 'hero' who doesn't care and barely matters is vaguely interesting.

....Maybe I'm being too depressed.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Suicide is 'just being dramatic', all people with dark thoughts are 'edgelords', nothing is apparently genuine. Something about this bothers me.

You dislike the 'self-insert', then you dislike it when the character is removed. This also bothers me.

For all that we're apparently nearing the end, it doesn't really feel like it, despite the dramatic events.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Calling it now: You'll never be able to "legitimately" stop Lin, and will have to resort to either murdering her in her sleep or getting a Darkrai to do it for you.

Not eating her dreams?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Under the circumstances, it's fine. God, what is the 'acceptable' way to act with you all?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

A very nice piece of art.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'd swear I recognise the design that blade is becoming, but I can't be sure.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Titania sees herself as a 'realist' or 'hard line' or 'tough', but that's as much a fantasy as everything else she's been saying. Her shell will crack eventually. I presume that;s why the Fairy Tale bit.

Was Lin even actually here? Was Taka?

Meh. It doesn't matter.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Arceus=Archaic? Hmm.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I believe it. I don't care whether you're making it up, I believe it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

if game bad, then what are we for willingly experiencing it, even secondhanded?

Please recall one of the taglines for Let's Play in general was/is "We play it so you don't have to."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Bruceski posted:

What DO you call this, then? That was giving me flashbacks to darker times, ones I haven't fully shaken off, so it's not limited to the movie screen.

Yes, that part, at the minimum, sounds accurate. You have no will, everything's pointless, you can sit and stare for hours. Or sleep. Been there, doing that, taking anti-depressants(I can't say they're helping for sure, but people yell otherwise, so I keep doing it). There's little to nothing that's useful. Some things or places(Even and especially places like this forum) might get you to do things, even 'inventive' or 'creative' things but it's also a spectre that makes everything you do 'useless'. 'Pointless'. It's poison that ruins everything you do. Why go on, why keep doing X? Why keep living, even? And most of the time, there's no answer.

There's also the self-hatred. Why are you so lazy? Just get up and GO. You're just not doing enough. There's nothing actually wrong with you.

Now, Amaria thinks she has an answer, she's living for Titania. Losing her for any reason can, of course, be a breaking point. Been there, done THAT. To myself, but done that. I still miss Mama.

I'm still of the feeling "I should be dead." How the hell I'm not is basically luck. Dramatic? Too much? Whiny self-absorbed idiot? I guess? Maybe?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 5, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Each bubble needs to be popped to be heard. Raven's response after seeing that cloud is four. "That's too many words."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Do not insult anti-social personality disorder.
You can live a perfectly functioning life without feeling empathy for others.

There's probably a joke here about 'politicians', 'Something Awful posters', or 'people in general', but I lack the words to make it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Pokemon Reborn: You feel the judgement of 1000 LP readers bearing down on you

How about that? Still too long?

Maybe...

Pokemon Reborn: You feel the judgement of 1000 LP readers

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

This makes no sense, you dipshit, there's no reason her being over-sensitive wouldn't be part of the incompetent character. If you're going to put your own character on blast at least do it properly.

quote:

ANyway here's E18's actual interview intermission:

The sheep made the first quote up out of whole cloth.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The battles don't seem interesting. But at the same time our host knows everything there is to know and has built specifically to deal with everything. How exactly is a person without knowledge meant to deal with this? Everything since level 20 or so?

I mean, I'm often lost about what our host is going on about is +3 Crunch and boosted fields and everything. I'm just not sure how I'd deal with any of it. At all. I'm bad at experimentation, and I hoard stuff. I feel like most people would just give up, or ask/yell about it. And then probably get laughed at, because that's what always happens.

I'm lost, and have been for some time.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 23, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I vaguely wonder if Fern went through this when he was the hero. And if he ever broke out from the control.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

That Neil Gaiman essay reminds me of this Neil Gaiman essay, which many of you may recognize from SimCity, which leads me to wonder, how would it apply to Reborn? What grotesque, misshapen wretch would represent the city that has become Raven's personal hell? Perhaps after Adrienne's reforms, it's got a shiny new coat, but I can't imagine it would do much to hide the scabrous, deformed abomination beneath. Though, I see it more as a tragic figure than an object of scorn, as much a victim of its creator as anyone else in this awful game. Perhaps if cities could move, as Gaiman suggests, Reborn might pack up and leave, and we'd all be better off for it.

We'd need a full idea of its history for that. We don't have enough detail to make that call. We see it 'now'. We have no clue what made it what it is in terms of lore. At this time it's just a place. All we know is it started as a temple town, and now is vast and decaying.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

rannum posted:

it's good character writing if you just straight up have everyone say what their issues are, in very full detail, 80 hours into a game right

Xenogears did it. Whether that was a good thing or not...I can't say.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Roro posted:

No, that's Venam.

Christ, what's with all the V names?

I presume because Venonat and Venom in general.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

There's a trend.

The whole 'challenge is everything, if you're not suffering, you're Doing It Wrong' kind of thing. Then of course you deal with the fact that the ones making it have probably heavy amounts of knowledge and are building it based off that. And then they get convinced their way is the Only Way.

Of course, it's also easy to attribute to malice what comes about through....forgetfulness or absent-mindedness. One too many presses and 2 becomes 22.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Please no Celebi time travel bullshit, that is the LAST thing this hot mess of a story needs.

Reminder that we already found out that there's been time weirdness previously. Fern was the hero last time and failed. Now it's our turn. So we're left with the question; how does Lin fit into all this?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Oh God, we're gonna shift the timelines so that Ame ends up being the protagonist, aren't we?

Unlikely. She took actual pleasure in real life in killing off her own self-insert.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dallbun posted:

If Pokemon Reborn could somehow engineer a bullshit hard challenge where the correct and approved solution involved you using a Delibird, I would forgive a lot.

Also, this is late, but I missed my chance to bring it up earlier. Back in The Hole sequence when we were brainwashed, Raven's strength was acknowledged and she was treated as an unstoppable Pokemon battling force by the narrative, and it was actually kind of satisfying for a moment. ...and then the villains had a dialogue about how using Raven for that purpose was completely superfluous and unnecessary because they could have just put their opponents to sleep? Did the game seriously take even that amount of plot relevance from us?

No. It was the 1 on 2 that was objected to. That was a waste of time and unneeded risk for no gain, and it was called out as such.

"Woo-hoo, with her on our side, we're invincible!"
"WHY THE gently caress DID YOU DO THAT, YOU PETTY LITTLE MAN!? WANTED TO FEEL BIG, DID YOU? WANTED TO FEEL POWERFUL!?"
"We won, right?"
"SO?! WHY EVEN TAKE THE RISK? 6 ON 12?! WHEN YOU HAVE AN INSTANT-WIN BUTTON LIKE PULSE HYPNO, YOU loving USE IT!"

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 8, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's Terra. Terra got put into the computer, which means she's also part of the greater world. The world is data, and so is she, so she could change everything, presuming she broke out of her bonds.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 8, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

"History was in my hands, And then my skull. It is written by the winner, so I must take up the pen. Nose to the grindstone, eye to the needle. The sword follows only after."

...Fern?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Black Robe posted:

That only applies to games with some degree of self awareness and understanding of humour.

I'd say "That's never humorous at all." It's not funny to say "Why'd you waste your time?" when the purpose of games is to fill time and get some enjoyment out of it. It's showing a dislike/hatred of the player, and that is NEVER the mindset you should have when making things for others to enjoy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Minus Green posted:

This immediately made me imagine them programming in an Amaria romance and I hate it

As a vehicle to get her the actual help she desperately needs? Meh. There's been worse.

Crazy girl and uncaring hero? Again, there's probably been worse. She just bounces off Raven so her standard trickery doesn't work. Either she changes, or she changes her tactics somehow.

Did she actually spend years away, or did she age 20 years in a day like poor Denethor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

TheKirbs posted:

What's the bet that Shade is first world Radomus who we are told has caused everything to happen as part of some stupidly convoluted plan which gets revealed in an hour long cutscene with every speaking character verbally fellating both Shade and Radomus for their "intelligence".

Right idea, wrong target. Arceus wants these kids off his lawn. (Whether 'these kids' is the entire town or the crazy kill em all cultists acting 'in his name' is uncertain.)