Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

I think the line "there are heroes on both sides" from the episode 3 opening crawl has generated more discussion in the last few weeks than The Rise Of Skywalker in its entirety has in the last few months

Sliding between threads to say that that's my favourite thing that's come from the prequeldome, inc. someone saying something along the lines of "nowhere in the prequels is it even hinted that there are heroes on both sides."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Count Dooku sought to elevate the Sith, Nute Gunray was driven by revenge, but Wat Tambor alone fought a war of conscience.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In light of all this chaos, maybe the chancellor does need some emergency powers to maintain order?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Zoran posted:

ah I suppose they forgot to clone his mcDNA (midichlorial DNA)

They left a hole in the foot and the midichlorians all drained out.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cartoon Man posted:

UNLIMITED ANAL!!!

That is a power only one has achieved... but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Here I am, map the size of the galaxy and they ask me to "find Luke Skywalker". Call that job satisfaction?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

porfiria posted:

Someone post the thingy.

https://twitter.com/DFWAlex2289/status/1242170801610272769

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

teagone posted:

I'm Luke's face.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

porfiria posted:

He's a good guy.

Heroes on both sides.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Can someone map out the weakness/resistances between all the moons of endor tia

"no"-type moons are weak to bird-type attacks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You can just click on the upside down question mark on the very first post there, op.

Links to user's posts don't work in Awful.apk. The answer is page 236, op, in case you were planning on reading the thread until you found one.

e: incredible

Irony Be My Shield posted:

At its core EoE is a very honest and personal movie. Trying to read it as a moralizing sermon leads to extremely weird takes like that one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, yes, but the full title of the series also is something like Glowing Genesis: The New Century's Gospel.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 7, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

(Rise of Skywalker is, curiously, the Solo: A Star Wars Story of the ST).

The first thing I've heard about it that makes me want to watch it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No no, wait

you think you've beaten Snoke, but then there's Fyre!

Always two, there are.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Orson Welles cinematic universe, where all of Orson Welles' most famous characters are recruited for a secret mission by... Orson Welles. The Orson Welles from Othello can be played by Scarlet Johansson.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jewmanji posted:

I’m all for condemning everyone involved from top to bottom, I’m not reserving any special disdain for leadership. There’s virtually nothing in those films that warrants even the faintest applause.

Sound team?
Visual effects?
Costume shop?
Set design?
Writers?

All worthless. The actors largely did their best with what they were given. That’s about as much as I can say about the films.

This seems like a slight exaggeration.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He's the titular character in two out of three prequels.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Sheev is the hero of the skywalker saga

Heroes on both sides.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

2house2fly posted:

I don't think the note the prequels ended on for Vader was anything like "now we will fix things"

It ends on something of a joke, with Anakin - this character who has spent the last three films with his every emotion written all over his gurning face has been transformed, by Palpatine, into an absolute cipher. But we have the "noooooooOOOOooooOOOO" to let us know that he's achieved no inner peace and his fury and dissatisfaction with the status quo haven't gone anywhere.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You could just watch 4, 5, 6 as a first step, the difficult part is shunting all the pop culture conventions of "Darth Vader the villain" out of your head and watching what the character actually does.

e: V "I was only following uniform orders!"

josh04 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 4, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Kingfish posted:

In the first thirty minutes of ANH we see Vader preparing to inflict medical torture on a woman. A little later he stands by silently while Tarkin blows up a planet.

Even by the end of Empire he's torturing Han to place a force phone call with Luke; I don't mean that watching the OT without preconceptions will make Vader into a person who does good things, but it makes him into a person with complex motivations that change over time, rather than "avatar of Imperial force".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The torture thing in ESB is really tricksy because the Jedi are like “torture is a part of life and we must accept it in order to find true harmony and balance, etc.”, while Vader’s message is that torture is inexcusable. By getting Luke to ditch Yoda, Vader’s proved that he and Luke fundamentally agree (which is why Luke then freaks out and attempts suicide).

Episode 2 then adds the fact that Vader is putting himself in the role of the intolerable “sandperson” - so imagine an alternate version of Episode 2 where, instead of slaughtering the Tusken, Anakin convinces the Jedi to quit the Republic and join the Raiders in their battle against colonialism.

Star Wars is missing a scene where the Rebel alliance torture someone for information.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is his status as 'avatar of Imperial force' is forced upon him (no pun intended) and no doubt reinforced by his exoskeleton. It's certainly what he's billed as. His self-hatred just makes him more of a weapon.

I just mean the simplified version of Vader from the popular consciousness, who isn't generally portrayed as subordinate to Tarkin in New Hope or tearing up the Imperial rulebook in Empire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If we're going full tactical realism then it makes no sense, if Vader is able to change his appearance at will, that we never see him in so much as a ceremonial cape.

lando-cape-closet.gif

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He uses force transports it into space.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

punishedkissinger posted:

it was weird when Lucas got on twitter and said that early jedi didn't have bathrooms, they just used the force to disappear their poo poo

The Jedi had five temples on Coruscant and only one for both Tatoonine and Jakku, makes you think.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Also watch Jodorowsky's Dune, to complete the set.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RoboCop (2014) is an excellent addition to the I, Robot cinematic universe.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Unironically think Lucas should get Disney to edit that into the 4K blurays.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Does someone say "Khyber crystal" onscreen, please let me know if someone says "Khyber crystal" onscreen

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zkw7758Whs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Barudak posted:

Also everyone growing up in the immediate aftermath of Order 66 would know, concretely, that no matter what bullshit the Jedi said they could do you can just shoot them to death like regular people.

This is the crux of it - the power of the Jedi religion was supposed to be that they could see the future and so even two Jedi Knights would know how to mess you up. The big jumps and bullet dodging and spoon bending is insignificant compared to a huge battle station that can blow up a planet, or even just a bunch of regular guys with guns. Order 66 demonstrates on a huge level that the Jedi can't see the future, won't know you've betrayed them ahead of time, and perhaps never could.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Something's Resisting in the state of Denmark.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If the force isn't real the movie would demonstrate this by having it fail at some point.

This does notably happen at the start of episode 6.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Elfgames posted:

ah so vader doesn't have the magic power to move objects only the magic power to instantly hypnotise people into thinking he did

This distinction was very important for Uri Geller, for instance.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Glottis posted:

Was it not a force magic power thing when Luke could hear Obi-Wan from behind the grave and then make some impossibly hard shot with his eyes closed?

Luke used to bullseye Womp Rats in his T-16 back home, it's no big deal.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hefty Leftist posted:

rewatching the original trilogy has made me realise how easy making the prequels and sequels should have been. these movies aren't complex at all, how the gently caress did they mess it up so badly both times? i feel George and Disney probably spent more effort, time and money making terrible movies than they would have making simple, well written and coherent trilogies.

there's a hero in both in a weird and wacky sci-fi fantasy world, they get wrapped up in a situation that's bigger than them that gives them purpose, they go through some revelations, get pushed to their breaking point from confronting those revelations, and then either in the prequels they fail and become the villain, or in the sequels keep strong and eventually win over the villain. someday the prequels will get remade and it'll be trivial and mindblowing to everyone how easily they'll be made good by just keeping it simple.

Valerian kinda bombed though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It might be considered polite to quote as "the Wachowski [sisters]"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The quote is from 2005, and refers to two films where the directors were (and still are) credited as "brothers". Lana Wachowski didn't come out as trans until around 2008.

I considered editing the quote to say [siblings] or something, but I haven't found any source on how the Wachowskis would like to be credited retroactively for their pre-transition work - and I don't consider it my place to decide that for them.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get a sick burn in or w/e, just that my understanding is that that would be perceived as a polite thing to do.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Stealing fuel from the drugs planet is hilarious, tbf.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

AdmiralViscen posted:

What the gently caress is maz kanata, and why

Maz Kanata is Maximum Cantina, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

One of Lucas’ most underrated qualities is his gift for a truly stony pokerface when making the stupidest loving jokes possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXOg-APbGc&t=118s