Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

PSG are getting hit with their 2nd round of sanctions for breaking FFP rules.

If UEFA are actually going to do anything this round could be:

Transfer bans
CL ban
Point docking.

If they were to sell Neymar as is rumoured, would that off set it at all or is the FFP period over or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Not sure, it would probably cover it but with Mbappe's fee about to hit them too that might gently caress things up even further.

Which is good. gently caress PSG

I know FFP runs in 3(?) year cycles, so that was the reason for the Mbappe deal being a loan to start with.

Absolutely, gently caress them. However, I'd be surprised if they got anything more severe than a fine, which is pointless.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

I dont have a definite source on this, but apparently you cant get a fine if its the 2nd violation...

Right. I'm sure the only thing they'd care about would be a CL ban and I don't see that happening. Points deduction probably still wouldn't stop them winning the French league and it seems clubs get plenty of notice before a transfer ban, so they can stockpile players in advance.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I think it'd be a points deduction in the CL. I doubt UEFA can dock points from a domestic championship.

I just did a ctrl+f for "points" on the regulations and nothing showed up, so I guess they'll just make it up as they go along and then cave to the big clubs as usual when they threaten to break away.

This probably isn't the thread for it, but the Guardian had an article the other day about how Andrea Agnelli wants to reshape the CL into 4 groups of 8.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/23/juventus-andrea-agnelli-reshape-european-football-infantino-champions-league

Don't see it happening, tbf.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal are by all accounts the richer club

Are they, though? Heading for a second season without CL money isn't going to help their bank balance.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal are consistently estimated to have more money than Liverpool by Deloitte(creators of the Money League(tm) the most prestigious competition in world football) but you’re right and I wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool overtook them this year.

The 2018 list (which I checked before posting) only has a £60m difference so I would imagine another year of CL money would make a difference.

Having said that, there's a lot of doom and gloom around Arsenal these days, but they're not in all that different a situation to where Liverpool were a few seasons back. They have money, a few very good players and a few players that can definitely improve if coached right. They'll need a couple of good/lucky signings, but it wouldn't be a shock to see them back in the top 4 sooner rather than later.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

He'll be France manager by the end of June.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bargain.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Pat Mustard posted:

Is this an actual thing?

It is, although a number 6 would be a Centre half. Unless I misread the post, he means number 4.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MrBling posted:

Full backs are 2&3, Centrebacks are 4&5, defensive midfield is 6, central midfield is 8, wingers are 7&11, attacking midfielder is 10 and striker is 9. Don't you know anything about football numbers?

Seems like 4 is dm in British football, but not everywhere. I guess it's something to do with the positions changing in different ways in other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_(association_football)

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 5, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

Some players are so desperate for a Premier League move because they keep hearing it's just "better" they don't have any idea that, for example, Lazio might be a better team than West Ham. This is how you end up with a shitload of French players at Newcastle or Aston Villa, right before they got relegated and are in the mess they're in.

West Ham will probably pay a lot more than Lazio and it's a bigger "shop window" if that's what a player wants. Look at Payet, his fee more than doubled when he went back to the same club at 29.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

tarbrush posted:

The only minor downside is it would completely shut off the development path for Wilson, Ojo and our general assortment of promising attackers.

We've always got a few highly rated youngsters, but there's only a tiny percentage of them that are ever good enough. There have been a few more in recent years, but I wouldn't like to see the club not signing players to allow untested kids playing time. That being said, I would like to see the club not sign Shaqiri, because I don't like him.

Jason Sextro posted:

The wages thing is likely true, yeah. I just wonder if West Ham is really a higher-profile stage than Lazio?

I would say so, yeah. If Lazio had made the Champions League then maybe, but there are far more people watching the Premier League than Serie A.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

peanut- posted:

According to a generally quite reliable West Ham ITK, Arnautovic to Man Utd for £55-60m is a thing that is actually quite close to happening

Lol, more than double what West Ham paid for him less than a year ago.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EC10 posted:

vieira took the job because Nice is a step up in football terms from NYCFC not because the climate's better you mongs

Don't be silly. We all know the way to take a step up is to get your friends in the media to complain that you haven't been given a chance ad nauseam until you're given a job you're not capable of doing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I think you can only play matches for two teams per year (can't remember if it's season or calendar year though) but that wouldn't stop a player from being transferred like ten times in one window while no matches are being played.

Presumably the thing that stops it is that eventually the player would say no and refuse to sign a contract with the next club.

quote:

Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs.

edit: it was ammended:

quote:

As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Two

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

This is going to be fun.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jose posted:

i wouldn't blame him at all but he seems a bad choice for spain with no preparation

Yeah, Rafa isn't a "quick-fix" manager, he'd need time.

I've always thought he'd be a great international manager, though. For a big nation, 90% of games are gimmies and for the other 10% it's about being hard to beat, which his teams are good at.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Using the new manager bounce to win the world cup. A bold strategy

So you're saying...Pardew?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

tarbrush posted:

Think bigger.

Think Allardici

There are few smaller.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Steed Malbranque

Didn't he get dick enlargement surgery?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Starting to get a bit (but not massively yet) worried that United didn't get much business done before the World Cup and seemingly very little is happening right now.

Seems like there will be a lot of teams scrambling for players after the World Cup, considering the window closes on August 9th this year. Chelsea don't even really have a manager yet!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

name three players who have suffered horror injuries at the world cup

Michael Owen.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jose posted:

We've been heavily linked with sturaro but they want €20m which would break out transfer record so lol

Mental that Owen is still you're transfer record. Surely there isn't another club in the Premier League with a transfer record that's what, 13 years old? I know Ashley is a tight fisted gently caress and all, but still. You would think that with the amount of mismanagement at the club you would have spent £20m+ on some shitheel whose agent was a mate of his or something.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Release clauses are worthless anyway. If Barca come in with £150m offer and Mo decides he wants to win a kid of trophies in the Sun I doubt the five year commitment will prove a major obstacle.

The reason the tweet mentions the release clause is because sometimes if a player is really good, a release clause is a way of telling them "stay for one season with a pay rise and we'll let you move for £Xm in a year's time" which was rumoured (not sure if it was ever confirmed) when Suarez signed one the year before he left and after the Arsenal stuff. No release clause gives the selling club an advantage if someone else comes in. They can negotiate the price or can stand firm and refuse to sell (the former is more likely these days, but either way it's good for the club assuming he's as good next season as last).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Depends on the player though, Cesc Fabregas had an 8 year contract with no release clause but once he decided he wanted to go that was pretty much that. The selling club only has an advantage while the player is happy to stay, clubs like Barca have shown they have no problem upsetting players and coming back later. I don’t think Salah is enough of a poo poo heel to claim he is a slave and down tools if he wants a move but you never know.

True, but it's not 100% (gentleman's agreement, i know) like a release clause and there can be negotiation over the price.

Look at Coutinho & Van Dijk. Both clubs dug their heels in last summer and refused to sell. That the players moved in January proves your point, but that both went for fees that would have been unbelievable when they last signed a deal (when a clause would have been added) proves mine. There's also the possibility of the buying club throwing in £10m or so more as the closing of the window gets closer.

We all know players hold 99% of the power these days and if they want to move they can, but release clauses can be dangerous. Wasn't Neymar's €200m put in place because Barcelona thought nobody would ever hit it? If he didn't have one (I know everyone does in Spain, but you get what I mean), him leaving becomes less likely.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 2, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah swings and roundabouts I guess. I just think it’s funny when fans believe contract extensions = security regarding a player leaving, which has been proven not to be the case these days.

Yeah, all it really means now is that the player isn't leaving in this window.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

Bony signed a new contract 3 weeks before Man City bought him. It's no guarantee, sometimes it's done because they're expecting movement.

True, but that was very much an exception. In this situation, it's Salah getting a pay rise for being very good and a statement saying he's going nowhere this Summer.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

he could probably start the majority of games for 2-3 years and still dick on the minnows.

Ahh yes, just what Juventus need.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

hes gonna get even stronger in his late years.

Why?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's like the booted up FM from around 6 years ago.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Xabi posted:

Edit: I think I prefer Lil Shaq TBF.

Just need someone called Tall White Mansion to play alongside him.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jose posted:

did you forget liverpool spending £60m on fabinho

And £62m on Keita.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the business the club has done over the past couple of seasons, but we've spent a lot of money in doing it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

aellisr posted:

With all of the Fekir chatter, wouldn't his arrival effectively spell the end of Lallana's time at the club or is Fekir more in the mould of a front three option?

Hasn't Fekir been pretty much ruled out by the club and a bunch of journalists who would generally be good for this stuff?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ugh, smacks of a World Cup wonder. He'd be 4th choice, I guess? Lot of money for that.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I hate MLS so loving much.

Are there any/many calls from fans/teams to switch to a similar system to the rest of the world? I know the regulations were put in place to stop teams overextending themselves like happened in the 70s, but now that it's been running for a long time, surely the teams are reasonably stable?

As someone who doesn't follow it at all (so correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like they've imported the system from other US sports that only really works there because they're essentially a closed shop, but makes MLS teams massively uncompetitive.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

Leeds have agreed a £7m fee for Patrick Bamford that should get completed tomorrow

Almost 25 years old, Christ.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Isn't he like 30 years old or something

33 in a month's time.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Grealish is just Wilshere-lite

Harsh.

Hasn't he settled down and been a lot more consistent in the past season or so? Or was that just the line coming out of the club?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Gus Poyet from Bordeaux to In the Bin FC is Done

poo poo, does that mean they're not signing Lee Cattermole now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m sure this is every club but god drat the Facebook comments on the official Arsenal announcements about Ospina and Campbell’s departures are just :psyduck:

The same when Jeff Reine-Adelaide left, I would understand if they went to Juve or somewhere good but Jesus the majority are going to clubs no one ever heard of because they’re that bad, fair enough Ospina to Napoli but I genuinely think he just isn’t suited to the EPL. Can’t wait for us to flog Connor Brammal and someone to bemoan how he was the best defender at the club.

What was their reasoning? Campbell played 20 odd games in 7 years and was mostly on loan. While on loan, he only scored more than 5 league goals in 1 season and that was only 8 and surely Ospina would have been 3rd choice keeper now?

julian assflange posted:

Make this a tiled forum background

Surely stretched would be more fitting?

• Locked thread