Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

News:
Riding home from a minor league game in an Uber on Saturday night, the driver informed me he was a big Yankees fan.

"We got this guy who's the next Jeter," he enthusiastically informed me.

"Are you talking about Didi...." I trailed off when he didn't immediately pick up on the name.

"Oh, you mean Torres...."

"Yeah, Torres..." and he went on and on about how great the new Yankees 2nd baseman is.

Views: The Yankees have 2 Jeters, if you follow the Kevin Towers :rip: comp from years ago on Didi [Holy gently caress, maybe he was right?] and my new friend's opinion of Torres. Which means they used to have 3 future Jeters in the org (Didi, Castro, Torres) and the Cubs gave them 2 of them if you follow all 3 comps...

Also View: It was worth it. :colbert:

View 3: When I googled Glyber it looks like he's the price bloggers expect every GM in baseball to ask for when the Yankees go shopping for elite pitching in a month. I hope they don't because he brings back world series rings.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Maples has also cut down on the walks significantly over the last month and a half or so which if sustainable at the MLB level would make him insanely elite. 100mph fastball + an insane wipeaway slider is the stuff legendary closers are made of, he just needs to know what zipcode they're going end up in when he throws.

We've been waiting 7 years for Maples to become a successful Major League pitcher (he was in the final draft under the Hendry-led front office). I really hope he works out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's going on with Rizzo this year, other than just not being very good? I haven't really had time to dig into it and I am surprised I haven't seen 100 articles analyzing the situation.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

There's a bit of babip happening (.249 vs a career of .284) which can probably be attributed to how much he is shifted. Weirdly, his softly-hit ball% is down this season and he's hitting more line drives and fewer ground balls. His HR/FB is below career averages too despite the ball being juiced. He'll probably regress a bit positively.

I always like to see HR/FB ratio out of whack when a player isn't doing well, so that makes me feel better.

I noticed a while back that Arietta and Darvish were both way out of line with their career HR/FB ratios. Arietta is already regressing (his rate was practically nothing earlier in the year) and I hope the same happens with Darvish.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Before today's game Bote was slashing .273/.366/.424 with 106 wRC+. Today he was 1-1 with a walk after entering late.

Obviously it's not peak Bryant levels of production but he's been a solid as hell callup while Bryant's been on the DL.

Here's the funny thing about Bote: drafted 14 picks ahead of Matt Duffy. In the 18th round. That's one hell of an 18th round.

https://baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2012&draft_round=18&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

And the Reds drafted a pitcher who is on their roster as a reliever/swingman.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Cubs should maybe play Rizzo less. I'm not really kidding. He's been real bad.

Unless I'm missing something, I think what was brought up in the thread is still valid: there's either just a small adjustment that he needs to make or it's just bad luck. BABIP and HR/FB ratio are way off so he's either just missing his mark or it's just bad luck.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Hector Rondon has been really good this year in Houston.

Maybe we can trade for this relief ace we need. Heh. I don't blame Hoyer for letting Rondon go. His numbers were getting progressively worse every season but it's just the luck of the draw with relievers like him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I mean, yeah, but Joe also left him out to face multiple RHH's in a one run game, when he clearly didn't have his best stuff despite Kintzler supposedly being available.

I didn't understand that at all. Renfroe is dangerous.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Heyward's Players Weekend jersey name is J-HEY.

C'mon, man, half your reputation in Chicago is due to that speech during the Game 7 rain delay, go with something like RAIN MAN.

Oh, my God, that BB/9. :stonk:

Just tell me nobody is using their actual name? Maybe I missed that?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

It's insane that David Bote was called up to keep Bryant's seat warm and now there is a legit question of how we can keep him in the lineup in an already stacked team.

I was 100% ready to trade him before the deadline. That was like 2 weeks ago.
Now you'll have to pry him from my cold dead arms loving embrace.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Cubs offense has to be one of the worst in baseball since the break.

Like how did everyone lose power?

#4 (in the bad way) in O-swing rate in August. They're not themselves.

If it's of any consolation, the Phillies and the Braves are in first place and they're just as bad.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Here's a thought: gently caress the Cardinals and Daniel Murphy?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

I'm out of town for a few days and lose to the Tigers and acquire Daniel Murphey?

What the hell is happening

Imagine my dad's surprise when he finally sobered up from surgical related medications today and some Murphy is at the top of the Cubs' lineup.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joe Maddon is a genius

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Almora - 24
Happ - 23
Schwarber - 25
Russell - 24

These guys are all still very young, Russell has the most experience in the majors with 4 mostly full years under his belt. There is tons of room for improvement, hell Schwarber missed an entire season due to injury.

Absolutely right.

Development isn't linear, yada yada...

The expectation is that every player should get better every year and that's not how things work. Even without everything clicking this season, the Cubs should top 90 wins. I don't see any reason to panic.

If Russell continues to struggle at shortstop, they'll find another solution. If Almora continues to play elite or extremely good defense, then there's no reason to worry about him as a hitter as long as he can stay close to league average (which is above average for a center fielder).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DTaeKim posted:

Niwrad, I posted your statement to Effectively Wild and had them take a look at it.

LOL. I recognized it immediately and just wondered who emailed it.

Also, Schwarber is historically bad in high leverage situations. That was surprising since I knew he's being intentionally walked a lot compared to the rest of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If the Cubs doe chase Waino early, it's going to hard to do anything at the game that would indicate any sort of respect. I'm sure as hell not hoping for him to pitch a gem but I certainly would hope Cubs fans will show him some respect.

• Locked thread