Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I am so goddamn hyped for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sounds like it but then don’t you only carry over 1/8 of them ?

Yeah, but you'd know the game for the other characters' areas and be able to get through them more quickly in the main game I guess? :shrug:

I'll probably try out a couple of the other 6 units and then decide who I want to have as my 'main' when the full game releases and start over. The stealing system in this, using enemy HP % and boosting your success with more BP, will hopefully mean stealing won't be too awful like it is in some other games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah, that's another thing I didn't like about the demo. The characters don't even speak to each other, you walk up to them and get a tutorial message and an "Add this character to your party?" prompt. :sigh: Bravely had such lively characters and their interactions were great (well uh, for the most part. *cough*Ringabel*cough*)

e: completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

SaGa Frontier is cool but it's literally missing content (including Fuse's storyline) which is unfortunate. It's still fun to play and Red's story in particular is great.

SaGa Frontier 2 is a trashfire and you should never play it. One of the characters' stories ends in a strategic battle where you literally cannot win if the enemy's units don't move certain ways and wait X number of turns before moving at all. The other character's story also has spots that seem like raw contempt for the player.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Terper posted:

The inter-party character interactions are absolutely my biggest "Hmmm??", and have been for quite a while. With that said, a month or so back, Gameinformer wrote up their thoughts on the preview event some journalists went to, and they did detail an event between two party members.

As for Rogue v. Noble actions, Rogue actions generally have their level/money restrictions replaced with a percentage chance to fail. So you will have the chance to complete a quest/receive a strong item earlier than you would with Noble actions.

Go rogue and savescum your way to victory.

e: Unless you can make absolutely stupid amounts of money and bribe your way through everything, like the annoying votes in Disgaea that cost tens/hundreds of millions of HL and you have a few billion to spare. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I asked the guy on Reddit, and they said that inactive party members don't get any exp. Bummer. :( Though it seems like the exp scaling between levels will make catching them up not terribly bad, considering the game wants you to use all 8.

Exp scaling (like in Suikoden) should be mandatory in games where inactive party members don't get exp.

Shyfted One posted:

Incorrect. Beastmaster -> Thief -> Chemist -> Dancer.

I look forward to the Four Path Fiesta runs of this in the future.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's a design decision I will never understand.

That said, it does use EXP scaling to make it really easy to catch people up. It's just... it wouldn't need that if inactive party members just got EXP in the first place.

I'm ok with a game like Suikoden's system: People not in the party don't gain XP but you catch up in a couple fights.

...or blow past the current content's level if you want to game the system a bit (especially with a champion rune).

Meldonox posted:

Is there a time limit to the demo's availability? I have it downloaded but I'm kinda tempted to put off playing it for a week or two so I'm not sitting around waiting for the game to come out for as long.

You could do what I did recently: Get (back) in to Disgaea 5.

Finally unlocked the Land of Carnage questline last night. :ssj:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Meldonox posted:

That's a thought. I've actually been meaning to.

If you only want to run the story it doesn't take too long to get through the game.

If you want to do the regular post game stuff, it's not too bad if you use the cheat shop and the martial training levels to power level. Especially if you also use good DLC characters like Desco and Metallia.

If you want to do Land of Carnage... :unsmigghh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There are some standouts in here, notably Hunter Tressa :3:

FF5 Berserker Tressa. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

wait a second

does that mean the cross-class stuff gets you new costumes?

Yep. It was mentioned in a previous direct, as you cross-class your character's appearance will change based on the changes you make.

Tae posted:

This is specifically what they changed from the initial demo to the current one:
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate

I wonder how many people upset by the encounter rate are holding B and forgot this is a thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Recruiting other characters is optional though, so it'd be more like FF6's World of Ruin. Sure, they can have some character interaction but having lots of it would mean having to have constant checks for who is/isn't in the party and adjust accordingly, that is a hell of a lot of work to do.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

They should send out a survey so we can all ask/beg for Bravely Default-style encounter rate toggling. That seems to be the one feature request I see regularly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

speaking of dialogue, I've been trying to figure out the faux ye olde English and I'm starting to be convinced they just wrote a normal script and ran it through a converter. It's so bizarrely bad.

Reminds me of the FFT: WotL script: fixes the crude script of the PS1 version of FFT by trying make it look like some mix of ASOIAF and Shakespeare in the Park. As a result it feels fake as hell while also getting rid of the good lines like 'blame yourself or God.'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

[*]Red. Not related to Blue! He's a superhero. Like, with a transformation sequence. The way you transform is kind of dumb but he's fun to play as and has a unique story.

His transformation mechanics make complete and total sense though? Alkaiser has to hide his identity, so he can't change in front of other people. He can change in front of robots because they can be ordered to never divulge his identity. He even threatens to wipe the medical robot if it mentions his super hero power.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's just a pain to trigger whenever the story doesn't force a transformation on you. It does make sense and is completely consistent, though.

I honestly rarely use it when I play his story at this point, unless I'm running mechs or the opportunity presents itself. :shrug:

OTOH, running a bunch of decked-out Mechs + Red is easily viable and lets you murder the sweet bejesus out of everything. Especially if you geared your mechs to hell and back via the gold bar money route and the Junk shop to get things like hyperion bazookas and other top-tier gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Chapter 2 will start with the assumption that you have a full party of 8 and that they all know each other’s motivation, which would lead to more time talking amongst each other. I’m optimistic, anyway.

This is unlikely, because recruiting other characters is optional and so the game had to be designed with that in mind. If recruiting all 8 was mandatory it'd mean a lot more interaction through the game, though, since the developers would always know who would be present.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tae posted:

Square is cross promoting Octopath with their mobile game

No, not that mobile game like Record Keeper with actual sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nqoeusgmaI

The 3D game with 3D models

I'm shocked that they didn't do a crossover with FFBE considering that game already had a Bravely Default collab (in Japan, no idea if global will get it).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I suspect subclassing is going to make the "who is most useful I'll make them my MC" considerations largely moot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I hope there's a scene where they decide to call themselves the Octopath Travelers.

I'll still call them the Octopathers though.

Only if they do it in a full blown Super Sentai style.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1544

Octopath Traveler (Switch) – 9/9/9/9 [36/40]

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mega64 posted:

ONE MORE loving GOD drat WEEK

extremely_vibrating_therion.gif

Mezzanon posted:

Why the gently caress did I play the demo a few days ago, this wait is loving killing me

This is why I've avoided playing it much. I'm going to fire up the demo and get my actual 3hr session in the evening before launch so that I have a short fix to get me through the next day of work.

...kinda wish I was taking off next friday and not the friday after. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

With sprites its very very rare to change the model at all. Some games have different forms, octopath has different sprites based on subclass so that's cool.

Usually a palette swap is the best you get. Actually seeing armor changes is pretty exclusive to 3d jrpgs I think.

It's kinda common in games with job systems: FF3, FF5, FFT, FFD, Ogre Battle series and the Bravely games come immediately to mind.

e: Though BD/BS are 3D so you can ignore those. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Give me that late title card switch to Dodecapath Traveler.

I know the names won’t work.

The new and improved game OCTOPATHINGS TRAVELLER will introduce 4 new characters:

Irenicus
Nobunaga
Golbez
(Mr.)Satan

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Eddain posted:

Look, if you need Therion to open the special purple chests you come across, you all might as well just pick him as your starter. :colbert:

:yeah:

Plus being able to rob people blind will be handy for making money be less of an issue, probably.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

This is amazing :allears:

Although I felt like it was missing something, I hope you don't mind

:bisonyes:

Need a vibrating Therion gif.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah just because it won't massively effect your ability to finish the game (we assume) doesn't mean that it's not an archaic throwback that the genre should drop.

Reminder that out of combat experience has existed in RPGs since Final Fantasy 4 for the SNES (it's why people are a higher level if/when they rejoin you), and in Dragon Quest 4 non-combat party members in Chapter 5 gained XP as long as the wagon was present. The idea of having people not in your active party gain XP isn't even a new idea. :shrug:

Excluding scaling exp systems and/or massive rosters (like Suikoden), not having out of party experience only serves to punish people who want to use more party members, or pad out a game with grinding. And in Suikoden's case the leveling system is often too generous and it can be abused to blow past the level curve repeatedly in those games. It sounds like the scaling might be decent enough to where little-used characters won't be that badly left in the dust, but it would've been nice if they'd have designed for all party members to gain XP and just adjust the leveling system to work that way. Unless the subclassing setup is such that most people are never going to care about using more than 4 specific characters (or 3 and the story character for whomever's story they're running at the time).

Mordiceius posted:

In the comments:

Not sure if there’s some sort of bonus once you’ve beaten all eight (I’ve only finished four so far - mopping up the rest today), but they are all entirely standalone stories.

Was fine in SaGa Frontier, will be fine in this. Though I wouldn't object to the next game by this team to be structured with you recruiting everyone so that they can develop later stories with other characters in mind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

If the early reviews/articles are right in that there is no sign of the eight stories connecting to a single story arc, I'll be a bit disappointed. I mean, they have to connect eventually somehow, right?

No they don't. It wouldn't be the first game SE puts out like that and even in the earliest teasers wasn't it described as 8 characters with 8 different adventures who might cross paths (join your party)?

SaGa Frontier was unfinished and buggy but even though some main characters could join each other they had no specific impact on the story of the character you were playing. Assuming they had a story, Lute.

Though I guess he was at least given a start and finish, which is more than Fuse got. :rip:

Harlock posted:

Port Saga Frontier to Switch so I can be my good robot boy

Eh if they added the cut/missing content I'd probably get it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

abraxas posted:

Get ready for my smugpost where I tell you that I pre-ordered digitally and have had the game pre-loaded on my Switch for weeks and how much superior digital purchases and therefore I, as a human being, am.

:same:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I liked SaGa Frontier so none of the story stuff, even the worst case scenario things, are that bad to me. :shrug:

If completing all 8 character stories leads t some post game True Ending style thing then even better.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

The end game is Tressa opens up her Item World and you have to level every character and every item to 9999999999999

Jokes on her, I've been playing Disgaea 5 this past month and murdering LoC item worlds. :black101:

Your Computer posted:

They've literally been saying EIGHT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS, EIGHT SEPARATE STORIES since the very first trailer :psyboom:

It was later on that they said 8 separate stories/paths but that separation is one of the reasons I'd said the real name for this game could be SaGa Frontier 3 last year. SaGa Frontier's PoV characters also meant little to nothing to each other's stories and it didn't make their stories any worse (or better, Rikku).

I think Seiken Denetsu 3's characters had little to no overlap of their stories too? Though a lot of their stories went to the same places just with different boss fights IIRC.

8 characters/stories that are interesting and not just "SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL" as a game is cool and good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Junpei posted:

Therion is a snark master, he's the underappreciated gem of the MCs.

Therion is the best.

First person I recruited after I finished his intro was Alfyn. And in Alyfn's town there's a bunch of real good gear you can steal. Especially the Steel Axe. That thing is a beast. Only had an 8% chance to steal it but you get 5 failed thefts before your reputation takes a hit and you've got to reload and just try again pay the barkeep 2,000 to fix your rep. Toss in the vest, helmet, and accessories that others in the town carry and my lvl 1 Alfyn had something like 80 more def/ele def and 60 more atk than my lvl 7 Therion. :v:

Therion's first boss fight can take awhile though. I haven't gotten olberic yet (dunno if I want to go for h'aanit or primrose after alfyn) but in the first demo it felt like I tore through that boss, while Therion's took awhile and 3-4 healing items, even with me dropping 8 turn atk debuffs on the boss occasionally.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been watching/listening to Cohh play this morning and I have determined three things:

1: I am definitely getting this game
2: I am definitely starting with Therion
3: Wa hahaha

You've made the right choice.

The lack of vibrating therion gif in this thread is disappointing, though.

Harlock posted:

Tressa's path action, so far, has been incredibly useful in getting good equipment at cheap prices. Hopefully this scales well.

When I recruited Alfyn he was given a full set of gear that's better than what his town sells, and it cost me the low, low price of two reloads to savescum the steel axe theft free. :ninja:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Therion debuffing an enemy's defense while Primrose buffs your heavy hitter's attack and then said heavy hitter goes HAM on a stunned boss is so good. Not even level 10 and Alfyn was doing 1200+ damage to bosses. and recovering SP in the process because of his passive.

Primrose's mystery effect dance being able to apply 2-4 effects when you spend points is also real good, except when it applies the +atk buff multiple times since the duration doesn't stack. :(

Alfyn being a warrior chemist is real good too. Can heal people for 1k HP with 45g worth of items, in the event his healing spell isn't enough. And heals when he removes status effects from people with his concoctions, which made his boss fight go real smooth.

Therion/Alyfn/Primrose so far. Not sure if I want to go for H'aanit or Olberic next. Thinking H'aanit because I've used Olberic in the first demo and I think I'd rather have more damage than a tanky character right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So like, is there a map I should be buying? The minimap is literally just a foggy circle where you can't see poo poo on it and I've never seen something more useless in a game in my life

It's a radar, not a minimap. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Welp, Primrose's waltz just summoned a monster that hit the enemies for 9700ish damage with exploding fist. Shame it was just trash mobs because I'm pretty sure that'd one shot most/all chapter 1 bosses. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Tressa can already deal more damage than that unbuffed during her prologue just by hiring other people to do it for her.

Always looking for a bargain!

(I do wonder about the scaling or lack thereof though. It would be a shame if hired helps were worthless halfway through the game even if they're completely overpowered early game)

I had primrose recruit the 5 star(?) bouncer guy outside the bar before I left. Considering how useful the Old Man was with 2* strength I figure this bouncer will put the hurt on the next boss I encounter.

(you should just buy that :tressa101: smilie)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Sell me on this game please.

It's relaxing and fun. Also my party is lead by a thief who bides his time to rob targets while an apocacary murders things with an axe and a dancer 'recruits' random townsfolk to come fight for her.

Character stories aren't tied together heavily like FF6, they're largely independent like SaGa Frontier (note: this is not a SaGa game, no tech sparking or vague-as-hell mechanics everywhere).

Phenotype posted:

But in that case, doesn't it mean there's no point to ever buying a second AOE or single-target ability? I thought about this because I just bought Alfyn's single-target Axe chop, but it seems pointless to ever use it over a regular attack before an enemy is broken. Then after an enemy is broken and I want to boost an ability for damage, he already has the Ice single-target attack to use.

My Alfyn uses a steel axe, which is something like +96 atk and -20 elem atk. If you build him for physical damage the only reason you'll use icicle is if it's a means of breaking an enemy's defense. He also does single-digit damage per hit with the basic concoctions too. :v:

Your Computer posted:

okay what the gently caress Octopath Traveler :catstare:

Tressa is the real villain of the game.

I just did that quest as Therion

someone awful. posted:

Yeah iirc (Bolderfall sidequest spoilers) I scrutinized some noble guy, and got a knowledge about his plans to help the homeless. Then I took that to the angry poor folks and the 2 groups did a diplomacy instead :3:

I had that item but never got that option when chatting around. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Played this until 4am and having so much fun. It's met or exceeded my hopes so far.

You know what's better than finally getting your first Cait kill? Having Primrose use a 2x EXP boosting dance right afterwards. :toot:

Got something like 2150xp and it took Therion/Alfyn from something like 18 to 22 and Olberic went from 9 to 19 or 20. Due to that and exploring (managed to reach several chapter 2 towns, and robbed a couple people) I'm now horribly overleveled for the remaining chapter 1 character recruiting and a bit above the recommended starting level for a couple chapter 2s.

Fun things I've stolen so far: Knight's Sword ( 140atk sword, got it on my 2nd try with only a 3% success rate), robe of flame (amazingly good armor and lots of extra sp, took about a dozen tries but easily worth it), and a holy bow (ridiculous amount of atk, had to save scum to get it though). Getting to the subclass shrines isn't too bad so far. I haven't looked up the 4 bonus jobs yet but if I don't find them during normal gameplay I'll do so then. Currently running warrior on Therion, hunter on Alfyn, apothacary on Olberic, and thief on Primrose. Her magic damage is real bad and I know there's some NPCs with elemental gear (gives +ele atk) and another with a magus dagger (gives a ton of +ele atk) but they're 3% steal rates. I reall do need to consider setting up someone for decent magic damage since my party has been all-in on physical outside of using elements for breaks but :effort:

I noticed a few NPCs with 'forbidden' weapons that have a 0% chance to steal. Which is a shame because the forbidden sword I saw had something ridiculous like 300atk and no negatives, while the staff was -atk while giving a ton of ele atk.

A thing to note for fixing your rep: The cost never appears to go up and is different per town. When I tested this in a village, I let my rep suffer 2x and both times it was only 4k to fix my rep there, while in another town it was 8k, and then 10k elsewhere while still only costing 4k in the first of the three locations.

For people who feel they need to grind before doing chapter 2: consider instead doing some optional dungeons! There's one in every character's starting area, and some are level 15 so they're a good ramp-up to the level 20 ones.

Due to exploring (and the Cait kill) I'm level 23-24 on Therion, Alfyn, and Primrose, with Olberic at 21-22 and I'm only just now getting my 6th party member (Tressa). 10 hours in too. Exploring is fun. Primrose's allure is busted as hell because the knight you can recruit outside of the church in Saintsberg is like a level 60 character and when they use the triple-hit AOE ice spell it's 1-1.5k damage x3 to everything. More ifthe target's in break and/or weak to ice. Aside from him being able to one-shot enemies right outside of the town, even with his basic melee attack, at level 21 I went in to the level 48 forest by the arena in H'aanit's area (where olberic's chapter 2 happens) and the knight summon was able to kill an encounter there (had to resummon them once) while everyone else focused on healing and keeping the 3 enemies in break as much as possible because they'd hit for 900+ damage. The first time I recruited him I think I only had an 18% success chance and got them on my 2nd try. When I went back to get them again my success was in to the high 20s or low 30s and only took another 2 tries, which is crazy for how insanely powerful of a summon they are. I believe that fight gave 2.6k gold, 600ish exp (+60 more for the break bonus), and over 100 jp. I can only assume that at tha point in the game you either need an absolute ton of money for stuff or cash becomes a non-issue.

I will say that for anyone with Therion who wants a strong, free and easy to reach, spear weapon (as long as you can reach a ch2 town): go to the arena's town and head in to the forbidden forest. There's a purple chest not far from the entry save point and it has an elemental glaive, which has a lot of atk and a shitload of ele atk. You can reach the chest and get back to the save point (which is right by the exit) without any encounters if you have a little luck.

Your Computer posted:

I find it kinda funny how almost no NPC is off-limits. You can rob and beat up Tressa's parents while she's in the party.

Why? Therion doesn't need money to procure items from NPCs. :getin:

Mordiceius posted:

How important are Ophilia's and Primrose's path actions?

I'm thinking switching from Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Primrose to Tressa/Cyrus/H'aanit/Therion

Guiding NPCs around doesn't seem as useful as buying/stealing everything, investigating people, and mauling them with animals.

See above. NPCs can literally break the difficulty early on. Considering that with Primrose's dances I've summoned two monsters so far, one that did an AOE for 9500+ damage to all enemies, and another that did an aoe heal (to all enemies :sigh:) for 2500hp, I imagine that high level H'aanitéMon are also going to be crazy powerful if you're willing to take the time to get them. Hell, even the goblin archers I was able to capture in her chapter 1 quest had a double shot bow attack that was hitting for 1000x2 damage on a single target when buffed to max. Which was far more damage than she or anyone else in the party could do on their own (note: Therion with cross slash and the knight sword is stronger now... a dozen levels and a I-shouldn't-have-this-yet weapon later).

I'd honestly be surprised if hunter doesn't end up being the best damage in the game for burst damage... if you take the time to capture the right enemies.

onesixtwo posted:

People blocking houses in town generally have goodies behind them.

For example, after you recruit Olberic and finish his chapter 1 one of the townspeople's extra info (IE: bring Alfyn or Cyrus) is a hidden item in a house blocked by the old guy NPC and the guard captain's house has something in it too. Both are real nice for Olberic.

someone awful. posted:

I mean technically you can make anyone a healer if you give them the cleric job

e: or apoth for single target healing and status clearing

Alfyn is also able to AOE heal but he needs to use dusts. Still, AOE status removal or a cheap(ish) 800hp AOE heal from Conan the Apothicarian is handy, and there's still higher tier stuff after dust so he can probably do some really powerful stuff if you're willing to spend the ingredients.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on buying the game since as I've been playing the demo I just kept eyeballing the play time and getting increasingly distraught the closer I got to the 3 hour mark. That's as good a sign as any that a game will be a good purchase.

Also I haven't gotten to her yet but I'm already sold on Tressa due to this uh... very strategic sprite art for her victory pose.

It immediately reminded me of Benjamin from FFMQ and his "I'm flipping you the double bird but we'll pretend it's a shrug."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Finally got my last party member and at this rate I'm going to just hit 29 on Therion when I finish Ophilia's ch1 stuff. I'm torn between just going right to chapter 2 for Therion and others or exploring more and seeing if I can find the 4 other jobs in the process (assuming they aren't level gated, by bosses or otherwise).

Your Computer posted:

I felt like she was probably the worst character, but now that I have given her scholar as a secondary job she's become a pretty badass librarian :unsmith:

I finally picked her up and have her subbed to scholar as well, while Cyrus is subbed to merchant. Why merchant? Because I managed to walk to granport, and while checking the shops and NPCs I saw a glaive with about 370 ele atk on it and a 3% steal chance... which I successfully stole on my very first try. :getin: Plus merchant's kinda useful on its own, though I still have Tressa in the party because she's still only lvl 17 and needs levels. Cyrus is level 14 and has almost 600 ele atk now with his gear setup and I haven't even given him any +ele atk accessories yet (or a body armor with +ele atk). Dude's a freaking monster. If I went and stole the elemental hat and sage(?) robe from the two NPCs I saw them on I think he'd jump another 100ish ele atk, too. :science:

W.T. Fits posted:

The problem with Ophilia and Primrose is that their Path Action and Talent are linked. You need to use the Path Action (Guide/Allure) in order to be able to use their Talent (Summon) in battle. I feel like it would have been better to have Summoning just be part of the Path Action, and then give them each a separate Talent. Like give Primrose an extra hit on her normal attacks to represent her using her abilities as a dancer to slip in extra strikes under the opponent's guard, and have Ophilia give like some kind of small HP or SP restoring effect that triggers whenever you enter a new screen, similar to Tressa finding money on the ground.

Game is still insanely good either way, though.

Some of the NPCs you can recruit are ridiculously powerful. Like the knight I previously mentioned who uses the triple-hit aoe ice spell and was able to kill 3 level 45 enemies over about half a dozen rounds of combat. When my party was still in the 20s.

IcePhoenix posted:

I have hit major choice paralysis in my party. I need to figure out what cross-classes to do and go get all the shrines after I get the last party member (which I am at).

Housh posted:

Square Enix should be really happy. Hopefully we get a poo poo ton of new JRPGs now.

I hope the game sells a million copies by the end of the month and that SE basically comes out tomorrow and announces "yeah so we have the Octopath team starting on their next game in this series/style/setting/whatever. We'll probably put out a demo next year so you guys can give us feedback on that game too."

Thinking:
Therion - Hunter
Primrose - Scholar
Olberic - Merchant I guess???
Alfyn - Cleric?

That gives me every job but man it does not feel optimal. And I'm not sure what to move around for more coverage. The choice paralysis is real.

Therion works well as a warrior. Thief has SP steal abilities to keep you topped off for warrior skill spamming, or you can give him the accessory that recovers SP after each action and the apothacary's 1% SP recovery on normal attacks and focus on bashing things to death. Just unlocked his last passive and I can see the final skill for the thief job now and... I have to assume with high speed the damage is nuts because 5k SP is a lot to spend on it otherwise and I'll probably build him up on another job or two for better passives instead.

Not sure what my final team setup will be like but it'll likely include a scholar/cleric Cyrus instead of Ophilia because his passive weakness detection is just so convenient, and if I want to pick up an NPC I'll likely have Primrose in the party for her dancer utility (plus whatever job I sub her to, maybe merchant?).

IcePhoenix posted:

That's definitely my first thought but I also want Prim to be nuking people constantly thanks to her passive.

Are cleric heals based on elemental attack or defense? If it's the latter I could make olberic a paladin which would be pretty fun.

Heals based on defense is so gear because you can focus on making a cleric nice and tanky. Toss a Robe of Flame on someone and they'll heal for 1600+ with the apothecary basic heal spell. It's crazy.

Mordiceius posted:

It physically pains me picking four people to roll with.

Also, how good are the items in the purple chests? Or are they mostly disappointing?

I can think of two purple chests off the top of my head that you can run to in high level areas with a decent chance of reaching them without an encounter. One has an elemental glaive and the other has a justice buster (166atk dagger). A level 25 side-dungeon I just went through had a purple chest with a ~140ish atk axe in it. The ruins had a boss too but it kept using overclock every other turn (and I could break it in a single turn because it only had 4 shield counters and everyone in my party could hit the weakness with a weapon) except one turn where it used meteor for 1k damage. The purple chest axe is stronger than the sword that was in the boss's chest.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 16, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kobogartimer posted:

The chances seem to bump up every 10 levels, or if you gather information and get the easier stealing one it bumps up once more in that region. It looks like it goes 0%, 3, 8, 15, 65, 80, 100. I don't remember seeing one between 15 and 65.

Well now that I think about it I recall once it went up a tier and one thing stayed at 3%, so it isn't all that simple and there's more possibilities than I listed so :iiam:

There's a 55% steal chance as well. It seems like it goes up differently for different items, starting at 3% except for the unstealable stuff like the Forbidden gear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Well I found one of the extra subclass's shrines and got the answer to my earlier question...
The boss had 171k hp and got 2 actions per turn, and changed its weaknesses periodically. Maybe if I he only acted once per turn I could keep the magic reflect buff running non-stop on a party member or two and have the boss to suicide on me with their own magic but I doubt it. I imagine doing the fight before the low-mid 40s is going to be real tough without very specific setups and a lot of luck.

Finished Therion's chapter 2 and went to explore the desert for a bit. Made it to the southernmost desert town and then went in to the difficulty 50 dungeon nearby and was able to kill random encounters inside. With a team of Therion (29), Tressa (20), Cyrus (17), and Ophilia (14) because stuff was weak to ice/thunder (one's also weak to swords) and I have two scholars in my party with multihit spells. One of the enemies always spends their first turn using an atk buff, so any time I fought 3 of them I usually cleared the fight without taking damage. Picked up a viper dagger inside too (purple chest) and it's an absurd weapon with over 300atk that can sometimes poison. It's tempting to just grind in there for a bit because it's a minimum of 2.5k gold, 600 exp, and 150 jp per random encounter. Maybe once I clear all the chapter 2 quests I'll consider it, since only Therion's likely to be in the mid 30s. Everyone else (except H'aanit) is currently 24+ at least.

The main reason it was viable is likely due to my decision to run around and buy +ele atk gear off of NPCs I'd seen before which put Cyrus in the mid 700s for his ele attack. Before he hit level 20. Spending 3 BP and with no buffs/debuffs he was doing 7k+ damage to the boss in Therion's ch2 story. I recently found an inferno axe and it has a chance to lower the enemy's ele defense when hit. :black101: :science:
(it does kinda remove any threat most enemies would pose)

Lord Ephraim posted:

I used some dance in a boss fight and it said something "exp 100". I thought it gave me 100 exp and thought the skill was trash. Then I finished the fight.
Turns out it was a exp multiplier. By 100x. I went from level 36 to level 50.

aaaand I rely entirely on autosaves and it saved after the fight. Oops.

What the gently caress kind of insanity is this? :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

fadam posted:

Other than Support skills, how can I increase magic damage? Is there a shop that sells Staves? Do Staves even increase damage?

Right now it feels like my Warrior has outscaled the rest of my teN in terms of damage, but everyone's gear is pretty lovely.

Staves and arcane/magnus/elemental/rune type gear all increase ele atk. Right now on Cyrus I have a hat and robe that both give a sizeable ele atk boost, and a +100 ele atk accessory, all of which you can buy/steal from NPCs in different towns. Plus a wizard staff (found one in a chest in a high level zone I explored, and another I stole from an npc) which gives +300 ele atk.

If you don't want to save scum to steal the wizard staff from its npc (or the rune glaive, which has even more ele atk) you can find a wizard staff in a purple chest in the shrine of the archmagus and if you have the random encounter reduction passive, reaching it isn't too bad, and you can fast travel out once you grab it (or any other treasure you manage to reach in areas far outside your level, like the viper dagger in the ruins outside of the southernmost town in the desert (I forget its name, it's south of Wellspring).

With over 700 ele atk, my Cyrus does a brutal amount of damage. The only thing that comes close is Therion using steal hp when wielding my viper dagger since he's around 650atk with it (you can get a +50 atk accessory from the same NPC with the +100 ele attack one). He used abide and then proceeded to deal 4700 x2 damage to the boss of Olberic's ch2 story (it was guard break'd and defense downed too though).

ChrisBTY posted:

So. How many of us are doing what I'm doing and using the low encounter and improved escape chance passives and raiding dungeons >20 levels higher than our current level?

I don't have the improved escape chance but I do have increased chance to strike first and enemies can't surprise you in addition to encounter reduction.

Verisimilidude posted:

This game is good but has me hopeful that OT2 will have a more cohesive story with more character interaction. I know that would be difficult, but I hope they figure it out. For me the game feels really hollow story-wise. I love the characters I have, but I'm currently trying to get all 8 characters and that means spending several hours without hearing the majority of the characters speak since their stories aren't being continued.

One way they could do it is to require specific characters for later chapters. Cyrus for Therion's chapter 2 or Cyrus for Olberic's, for example. Then when you get to chapter 3 you'll have a lot more characters (because you needed them for the chapter 2 stories) and by the end you'd have everyone for the final chapters.

For example:

For Therion's ch2 you'd need to also have Cyrus.
To start Therion's ch3 you'd need to finish Ch2 for both him and Cyrus.
Cyrus's chapter 2 would require having Ophilia in your party.

So when you start Therion ch3, you'd have Cyrus and Ophilia at a minimum. You'd need to finish ch3 for each before doing Therion's ch4.

Only downside is that it would take the game from completely open to semi-open, though even in the current setup I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to do everyone's chapters. :shrug:

acumen posted:

SP stops being an issue pretty quickly at which point Therion is just there to steal things in towns and be a BP battery

Also anyone have any tips for the sorceror boss? I know I'm under levelled at 40 but he seems pretty solvable. Reflect magic doesn't seem to work though.

Therion still does solid (single target) damage with his HP and SP steal abilities, and the former means you have one less person to worry about healing. Debuffs are pretty powerful in this too. Using BP items (or share BP from others) would let you keep an enemy debuffed pretty much permanently unless some bosses/enemies get a debuff cleanse skill.

acumen posted:

My team is in their low 40s and I'm bashing my head against a different subclass boss and it seems possible but extremely difficult. My best strategy is just survive until poison mills him but he has some crazy powerful status effects.

Apothecary has an ability that removes debuffs and grants debuff immunity. I don't know what boss you're fighting but if their biggest threat is debuffs, Alfyn and someone with Apothecary as their subclass might make life a lot easier. Apothecary also gets a passive (at 6 skills, I think?) that gives them resistance to most/all aliments. Not sure just how good it is though.

There's also accessories that give aliment immunity but I've only seen single aliment immunity ones so far and only one of each.

I'm really tempted to go back to the Archmagus shrine and try to cheese my way to victory but it'd rely on being able to reflect/nullify their attacks (why also consistently applying poison, probably) and also have them not summon adds like I've seen some other bosses do. Also might rely on Tressa spending a couple hundred thousand gold hiring the best summon she has because the first time I fought that boss I tried it and hit for about 9600 damage, without boosting damage at all. Though considering how much it cost, and that you get about 2.5-3k from level 50 encounters, I'd certainly hope it does crazy damage.

...is there a 9999 damage hardcap in this?