Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Is Teclis going to have his own new faction or are they just going to recycle the High Elfs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I started playing AoS with a Stormcast army thanks to the TW: Warhammer games and after being at first disappointed the Empire was no more. Now I'm about to get a bunch of freeguild units, battlewizards, one general on griffon, three units of demigryphs, three steamtanks, one Hurricanum and one Luminark to play as Hammerhal or Hallowheart.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GW's whole holiday lineup got leaked apparently:

https://spikeybits.com/2019/10/rumors-gws-full-holiday-release-lineup-pricing.html

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Chiwie posted:

Start Competing: Adeptus Custodes Tactics

RagnarokAngel spills the beans on the new Ogor Mawtribes book.
I really like their articles about AoS, thank you.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I finally had the chance to play with my Bonereapers yesterday and learned a few things: Mortek Guards with Petrifex are absolutely disgusting, one unit of 10 handled more than 100 wounds and survived being double turned by a couple of fully buffed DoK. I also learned that Morghasts are useless and Stalkers just shred things, but why would anyone pick anything else than "Precision Aspect" with them?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

dexefiend posted:

What can kill Petrifex guard efficiently? I have noticed a trend of people talking about them lately.
Mortal wounds, magic or shooting, since their ability to re-roll saves is only for the combat phase. I was lucky to play against DoK that time. And well, if I know I'm going to play against a heavy magic army, I'll probably switch to Null Myriad.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

screech on the beach posted:

I’m new to AoS and a buddy and I went in on the Feast of Souls box. We played a couple of games and I really dig the Bonereapers, any advice on what to buy next to get up to 1000-1500 points? I’m up to 720 with the box contents.

Get more Mortek Guard, at least two boxes. Stalkers are also pretty good in a unit of six. Crawlers are also amazing for sniping, get at least one but I've seen people using two. Add heroes to taste, I usually use a mix of Katakros or Arkhan, Liege-Kavalos, and one or two Boneshapers.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Teclis is back with an army!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/17/the-return-of-teclisgw-homepage-post-1/

I wonder if that means that we will eventually get a Tyrion themed army...

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

TKIY posted:

So the all Giants army is basically confirmed, shipping with Seraphon next.
Say whaaaaaaat?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

It's getting played in my local store (especially by 40k players still undecided about AoS) and well, GW just released a bunch of new content for Warcry and Necromunda.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/25/todays-pre-orders-warbands-gangs-and-more/

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

What's up with Tzeentch dominating tournaments this past weekend? Did they use the new battletome?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

A broad question, but asking for a friend: what would a 1000 points of Stormcast look like good for a beginner?
It all depends on what he has. SCEs have a lot of units that could work depending on their combination. Also, they have some nice Start Collecting boxes that have around those points and work fine together.

For all the hate that some players have against them, the SCEs are in a weird position in the tournament meta since their battletome was one of the first in the AoS 2.0 era and right now it lacks some mechanics that make them lag way behind other powerhouses. All except one list that relies almost entirely on sniping with Longstrikes, but still, people have workarounds against them.

To get used to the rules and in a 1k list, I would suggest getting a Knight-Incantor, the cheapest wizard, or if he wants to use Sequitors as battleline, he would need to make a Lord-Arcanum his general and that's also a wizard unit. But, of course, Sequitors got expensive in the last big FAQ thanks to some complaining and well, they are not worth it anymore in comparison with Liberators. Also, a shooting unit like a Celestar Ballista could be nice for learning that, so he would have something to do in every phase.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably not the most suitable thread for this but we got our first Old World article. About maps!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/06/cartography-in-the-old-worldgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/
Also some new faction icons as well that I can't name.
It says there that there's going to be new models, so I guess the system will be completely new... and expensive as it's going to be Forgeworld.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I was reading the new article on Goonhammer about the Meta in tournaments and after reading a lot of complaints on balance, I'm actually surprised at the variety of lists at the top spots. There are at least six or seven different factions and beside the two usual suspects, it's actually quite... healthy?

The article: https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-meta-analysis-lvo-and-cancon-part-2/

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

In the Mortek Guard warscroll, Shieldwall says: "You can re-roll save rolls for attacks that target that unit..."; it doesn't say "re-roll failed rolls...". So why wouldn't we re-roll the 4s in your example or anything else that we know it's going to be affected by a modifier?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That model is awesome and I bought one even when I don't play the lizards. If I can convince more people to buy one, we'll make Tenochtitlan on a table :ese:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Goonhammer's review of the new Seraphon is up:
https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-review-seraphon/

Looks like a fun army to play and to fight against.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That's only if he gets a turn to cast the spells *laughs in KO/Tzeentch*

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

There are magnetic sheets with an adhesive that I use to magnetize the bases, and then I carry them on a light metal tray. Not ideal, but it works to secure those big models in the car.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

orphean posted:

I ended up picking up an Arkanaut Frigate because I just love the model and the idea of sky dorfs in general. Any good Kharadron Overlords lists? Are they decent on the table? Really just looking for excuses to buy more airships.
A friend has been dominating the local meta with variations of:
12 Endrinriggers / Skywarden
20 Arkaunaut
20 Thunderers
Endrin with harness
Endrin with suit
Navigator
Khemist
3 Gunhaulers
2 Frigates
1 Ironclad
He has been playing KO since the beginning of the faction, so the new battletome was a godsend for him. The mobility and shooting are just awesome, and I'm still sore about that time he basically erased two-thirds of my OBR army with a double turn and some hot dice.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm rushing to finish my OBRs before my Lumineths start arriving.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I wish there was some kind of insectile army in AoS.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Finally finished some Lumineth Wardens that I've been painting off and on since their army box released:

drat, those are amazing. I said "gently caress it" a few weeks ago and decided to slowly start a Lumineth army and drat, the models are a treat to build and paint. I'll be waiting for the next temples (river, wind, zenith), because I'm still not sold on the cow motif. So just vanaris for the time being... and maybe Teclis.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

The good news is that it sounds like a Vanari army (and Teclis) is pretty strong. I like the cows but in terms of trying to collect something I can play I'll probably stick with Vanari for now. I do wish they had at least cooked up another temple to release because man does the range feel pretty limited.
They did mention fox-faced wind spirits in the battletome, so I assume they had something cooked that didn't come out. I expect a unit and a spirit for each temple, like the cows. Anyway, with COVID it doesn't sound like it's going to be soon.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

an unironically good idea considering warhammer total war 3 is just around the corner
And then, Total Warhammer 3 is going to do the end times again. Just in time for Total War: Age of Sigmar.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I hope we can mix Stormkeeps with Stormhosts, I want to use Staunch Defender with my Anvils.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Goonhammer did an in-depth look at Broken Realms Morathi.

https://www.goonhammer.com/broken-realms-morathi-review/
Wow, there's actually a lot of story there. Why do you think they are more willing to do this with AoS? Is it the Realms setting?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

poo poo, I really wanted a Bonereapers box. Oh well, I guess the Kharadron box would be a nice complement for my Cities of Sigmar army.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

drat, that new Sigvald figure is just so fabulous. If he has rules for Slaves to Darkness, I may be starting a new army.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Prices of the new Battleforces were just posted in another forum, US$210 and US$200 for Gitz. According to those people, the equivalences if you want to buy normally:

Fatesworn Host is US$312 in contents.
Barak-Nar is US$308 in contents.
Meatgrinder Warglutt is US$308 in contents.
Fungal Loonhorde is US$270 in contents.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

JBP posted:

You can probably tell I'm recommending the army as I love it, but it's very different to other armies in aos as it's a pretty choppy game. You also don't have magic (but do have magic defence) which might skew you away since it's a fun phase, but if you like the idea of firing broadsides at a demon from hell before ramming it with a with a torpedo strapped to your hull then you will like this army.
You forgot the "spell in a bottle". I got hit really hard by a Purple Sun once because I forgot to check my opponent's list. It was a casual game, but it still hurts.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

You can find a bunch of halfs of Soul Wars, Tempest of Souls, or Storm Strike boxes on ebay.

Or yeah, if you can find someone to take the Nighthaunts halfs, that would be better.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Stormcasts can be simple or complex depending on the style of play you like. Do you like to simply hit stuff? Here's the Warrior chamber. Do you like to shoot stuff? Here's the Vanguard chamber. Do you like magic? Here's the Sacrosant chamber. How about some monsters? Here's the Extremis chamber.

There's quite a lot of options, some good, some bad. Thankfully, rules change from time to time, so a bad unit can be good later on.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Here's a nice short video of a match if you want to see how the orruks play. In this case, the player is using "Big Waaagh!", but he's using Ironjawz units:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjK9eepIAQw

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Finished Lord of Pain for AoS this morning. Had a lot of fun playing with contrasts with this one.
Looking good!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

is the gloomspite gitz battleforce an OK starting point?
I don't play Gitz, but I've played against them many times and all in the box seems useful. It only gives you around 900 points, so you may want to get a few more units.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

How are fyreslayers? Their models look awesome
They destroy what they can touch and can shrug damage like crazy, but they are slow and need to protect their heroes against sniping.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

EAThief posted:

What are some good Stormcast models to get if I want to run a stardrake? I was about to get some ogres, but I recently traded some of my backlog for a stardrake and if I'm gonna spend the 1 million years it'll take me to paint this thing I want to have an army to go with it. I think I heard that Soul Wars and one of the SCE start collecting boxes have weird unit sizes and aren't actually good to start with and the SCE range is huge so I'm not sure what I should get.
I usually run the Stardrake with six Evocators on Dracolines (that came included with last year's Stormcasts Battleforce box), a Lord-Exorcist, a Lord-Castellant, a Knight-Incantor for support, and a bunch of Liberators for chaff... or Judicators if I don't want to run endless spells like the Everblaze Comet. But, I have a lot of Stormcasts to choose from.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That's a better cow goat? horned helmet than the one from the Lumineths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Cool mini but i'm lolling at the hair on the slaanesh mirror in the promo shot.
Can't unsee now :eyepop: