Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Endorphins are your friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People are so loving dumb with The Simpsons they like to say "It started off as a down to earth show about a struggling middle class family it could've been a live action sitcom in the first season without changing anything." When literally they go to a very expensive opera show in episode 2 and Homer gets nationally recognized as being some kind of ape creature in episode 7.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Buying a car got a lot easier once I said "I'll agree to anything as long as I get to leave here in this car." And then just signed whatever they put in front of me. Only took 8 years to pay off the loan! :cool:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Capitalism question: could someone who holds shares of stock in a large corporate agribusiness sue that corporation for being deliberately unprofitable because they refuse to spray the nitrogenous bodily wastes of their employees on their crops and, in fact, make conscious choices to simply dispose of these resources, and even knowingly spend corporate funds on facilities that promote the underutilization of them?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Biplane posted:

Anything that harms a corporation in any way is illegal.

That's what I'm saying, this waste of waste is them illegally not trying to maximize profits/value for shareholders.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Gig work is almost the exact opposite of serfdom.

Yeah, serfs got all kinds of holidays off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was with one job where we got a piddly cash bonus for Christmas, then the next year we got an even piddlier cash bonus, then the next year we got a Target gift card, then the next year we got nothing.

And we were all grateful for even the tiniest crumbs from the table of our corporate masters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I remember as a teenager getting a $50 Christmas bonus and my boss said “good work this year Nate, don’t tell anyone I gave this to you cause not everyone is getting one” and I thought wow that is amaaaazing thanks boss!

I was making $7 an hour

I've had the same feeling and all I can tell you is that pigeons love pizza crusts

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a little late with quitchat but here's my story:

6 years ago I was at a horrible job where everyone was leaving. I went into the office and said I'm quitting, I'm putting my two weeks in. The manager said okay you just got to fill out this form.

But there were no forms. So many people were quitting they were out of the forms to quit.

The manager told me sorry, you can't quit today. We're going to print more forms, come and quit tomorrow.

So I worked my full shift. Then I came into the office the next day and yes there were more forms and yes I did put in my two weeks notice.

I like to say I gave them 15 days notice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bezos' yacht isn't for doing yacht stuff. Like having parties, swimming, sunning, all that. Bezos' yacht is to distract the press, bystanders, people with camera drones, and others.

When Bezos has the urge to do yacht things he rides his yacht into a harbor, checks out the other boats, and picks one he likes. Then he has a private security team sieze it, kick off anybody who is using it, and Bezos transfers over from his own yacht in a tiny invisible minisub. THEN he does yacht stuff there.

Eventually the yacht is returned to its original owner. Probably.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

when i asked my 6 year old son what kind of job he wanted he said "i dont think i want a job" and then when i asked him what he's gonna do for money he said "well...im just gonna go to the bank, and ask them to give me money" and you know what...i think hes on to something

Should've told him that Al Capone quote about a kind word

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

if you didnt die, and you still saw the show, why do you deserve a refund?

They stopped playing early.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I knew somebody who had this t shirt 15-20 years ago.

I don't know what imao.us is, I assume it's some kind of hate website

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah all those blank of the month clubs are mostly people giving gifts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Best part about that is they'll be so excited to work for $11/hr they won't notice they could be walmart greeters for $15/hr. "$11 an hour?!? They only paid me $1/hr in the 70s! Wow!"

Meanwhile the drive thru will be backed up into the street as the service time doubles and seniors are filling their Depends while working the grill.

We should have welfare for people in their 20's and compulsory labor for everyone over 60. Nobody should have to work till their body starts declining in their 30's, they should just focus on having fun like Peter Pan. Conversely when you're old and declining you get worked to death.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Being a notAmerican, I had to google precisely what Lunchables were.

I would absolutely have rioted as a kid if this poo poo was slapped down in front of me and told "Here's your lunch"

Lol the best part about being an adult is getting to eat basically this all the time and it's cool and classy and nobody judges you. It's called charcuterie. You eat it off fancy expensive pieces of wood instead of out of a little plastic tray. You can even feed it to your guests and they'll thank you and think you're wonderful and compliment you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I wish I was eating charcuterie right now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

when we achieve communism, friend

My "Critique of Dialectical Reason (2021 Edition)" is just a giant pile of meats and cheeses and olives on a board

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re freaking out over seeing stores with boarded up windows because they’ve never seen it before I guess

The stores are boarded up because of a disaster and the disaster is capitalism

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the 90s and early 00s were a more xtreme time

There's a hilarious alternate reality where food packaging laws are incredibly strict but everything still had the same names so in 2003 you're buying a plain white bag with nondescript black lettering that still says DORITOS N-SANE XTREME SUPER 3D

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I wanna know what Turd Blossom had to say about the Santa shortage

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone in this thread had food from Fox's Pizza Den?

So there's a giant pizza chain that has over 200 stores but they're only in sad Appalachian mountain towns. They have picked thier audience, and their audience sucks. I have eaten their pizza and it's horrible. Sub Domino's. But these towns have a gas station, a Fox's, and nothing else. Just a rotting downtown. You don't really understand the people if you haven't had Fox's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's just not something anyone on the internet talks about but actual thousands of humans have very certain parts of their lives defined by their local Fox's and I want them to be recognized.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've been seeing all these memes and posts about how long 2021 felt to people and I didn't believe them till I remembered how long its been since my last stimulus check. Feels like a lifetime ago. I want another. I ache for another stimmie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm gonna be like the kid in my elementary school who passed out holding his breath when in a car driving by the big graveyard on the edge of town

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

hatty posted:

hoping for another lockdown so I can get that sweet stimmie
Last year I tried to get a coworker to go in with me on an online t shirt business where we sold shirts saying "GIMME MY STIMMIE" and he wouldn't and I'm still bitter because gently caress we would've made some money

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-12/deadly-collapse-at-amazon-warehouse-puts-spotlight-on-phone-ban

Just dying pinned under rubble but don't got my phone because of some rear end in a top hat in a suit who thinks workers are children

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

and the automated systems did their thing

I predict this being the way most big horrific news stories of the 21st century end

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A truly capitalist bar would serve you a thimbleful of piss when you paid for a pint and while you're trying to drink your piss a private contractor shoots you in the head. Then your friends bury you by your high top table in return for credits they can redeem for thimbles of piss

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FFT posted:

~40-60 "drinks" in a handle depending on how you measure that

lowballing i'm still well over 100/week and "functional"

A handle is 39.45 drinks. A drink is 12 fluid ounces of 5% alcohol beer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

someusername posted:

take folic acid

Any other vitamin tips for alcoholics?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This review made me honestly think about buying a $200 cube of tungsten

quote:

This Cube Cured my Mortality
Reviewed in the United States on November 8, 2019
All the people here who bought this wireless tungsten cube to admire its surreal heft have precisely the wrong mindset. I, in my exalted wisdom and unbridled ambition, bought this cube to become fully accustomed to the intensity of its density, to make its weight bearable and in fact normal to me, so that all the world around me may fade into a fluffy arena of gravitational inconsequence. And it has worked, to profound success. I have carried the tungsten with me, have grown attached to the downward pull of its small form, its desire to be one with the floor. This force has become so normal to me that lifting any other object now feels like lifting cotton candy, or a fluffy pillow. Big burly manly men who pump iron now seem to me as little children who raise mere aluminum.

I can hardly remember the days before I became a man of tungsten. How distant those days seem now, how burdened by the apparent heaviness of everyday objects. I laugh at the philistines who still operate in a world devoid of tungsten, their shoulders thin and unempowered by the experience of bearing tungsten. Ha, what fools, blissful in their ignorance, anesthetized by their lack of meaningful struggle, devoid of passion.

Nietzsche once said that a man who has a why can bear almost any how. But a man who has a tungsten cube can bear any object less dense, and all this talk of why and how becomes unnecessary.

Schopenhauer once said that every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. Tungsten expands the limits of a man’s field of vision by showing him an example of increased density, in comparison to which the everyday objects to which he was formerly accustomed gain a light and airy quality. Who can lament the tragedy of life, when surrounded by such lightweight objects? Who can cry in a world of styrofoam and cushions?

Have you yet understood? This is no ordinary metal. In this metal is the alchemical potential to transform your world, by transforming your expectations. Those who have not yet held the cube in their hands and mouths will not understand, for they still live in a world of normal density, like Plato’s cave dwellers. Those who have opened their mind to the density of tungsten will shift their expectations of weight and density accordingly.

To give this cube a rating of anything less than five stars would be to condemn life itself. Who am I, as a mere mortal, to judge the most compact of all affordable materials? No. I say gratefully to whichever grand being may have created this universe: good job on the tungsten. It sure is dense.

I sit here with my tungsten cube, transcendent above death itself. For insofar as this tungsten cube will last forever, I am in the presence of immortality.
1,550 people found this helpful

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Restaurants should be replaced by government funded cafeterias that serve fresh, well-rounded, nutritious meals to all who show up, where everyone takes a turn doing every job including serving, dishwashing, cooking, and cleaning the bathrooms

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Welcome... to the Mootrix

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Didn't I see a video where there was an Amtrak class that was just a tiny room smaller than even a solitary jail cell that consists of a closet a seat and a toilet and that's your accommodations for 57 hours???

Also it cost like 4x the comparable plane ticket

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I remember being a little aspie teen on a 14 hour Amtrak ride in 2000 or 99 or 2001 and we got stuck on a siding outside of Altoona for 6 hours and all the employees came through and apologized so much and gave us free cups of hot chocolate and I was like yes I love trains I love the idea of Amtrak I appreciate how much the Amtrak people care about our well-being I love this cup of instant hot chocolate but gently caress, this loving sucks. This just loving sucks. No matter how much you try to spin it, no matter how positive you are, this train is garbage, and being stuck on a siding for 6 hours is garbage.

Fly. Always fly. I've done 12 hour plus rides on Amtrak more than 20 times. I've been on a train through West Virginia where the leaves were changing colors and were achingly beautiful and I looked out at them through the observation car and even saw a bear! It still sucked. gently caress Amtrak. Not gently caress trains, not gently caress the concept of train travel, gently caress Amtrak. You aren't missing anything. It's a Grayhound bus on tracks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Jan 12, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think Amtrak rooms have toilets, maybe the big ones do idk.

https://youtu.be/agz6Y6-UaH4

This is what I was thinking about. Love crossing the country in an airplane bathroom.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Again I'm not anti-train. I'm anti-Amtrak in its current state. I want something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's not Amtrak's fault that it sucks. It's underfunded, it can't go fast due to freight trains, every bit of its infrastructure and rolling stock is old.

But I'm sick of being told that if I don't support Amtrak then I don't support railroads in this country. I want more passenger rail, but I don't want more lovely Amtrak trains where the main amenity is a cafe car where you purchase two microwaved White Castle burgers for $10. I want some actual decent passenger rail with comforts and quality service and such. Why is that so horrible? Why is asking for something like that such a terrible thing in this supposedly rich country??