Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What's really unnerving is when kids adopt that 'YouTuber' cadence to their voice when engaging in imagination play.

When I was a kid I used to imagine I was Mega Man hopping and shooting my way through levels. My kids, on the other hand, would prefer to pretend they are running a video game tutorial of Mega Man to an imaginary audience.

Tbh this is how i talk to myself a lot of the time in general, I imagine I’m giving a tutorial or explanation of something while I’m killing time, but I do tons and tons of self-talk and most of my “productive” stuff is writing or presentations so it just fits with what I’m typically creative about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't forget to like and subscribe! And hit the bell *makes bell hitting motion*

i don't say poo poo like that, i think about it like i'm explaining something to a friend, a class of students, or my mom

like when I told her I was playing a legacy board game with my two friends I meet with regularly as a safe social contact during covid and she remembered enough to refer to it again today as "advanced risk"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Weed is illegal in the U.S., so the U.S. is bad.

this doesn't follow, weed is legal in canada but canada is trash

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

the russians still put people in space using soyuz capsules while the US is at the mercy of elong musk, so maybe russia actually did win the space race

Elongated musk is the stinkiest loving thing ever, it sticks to everything!!!!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Back before the beer scene went Oops All IPAs, you could find interesting imports if you knew where to look. In those days I bought a $30-$40 750ml of Cantillon lambic once per year around my birthday.

Cantillon has a unique taste and can only be produced in small, tempermental batches that take years to produce, which justified paying $30 annually as a treat.

Now I ask, as someone who understands paying a premium for good food, how the gently caress do you justify $70 monthly for red velvet cupcakes? Who even is the audience here?

This joke is so obvious it feels like a goddamn trap. If you’re unaware, Lowtax used forums donations he said were necessary to keep the lights on for a cookie subscription just like this. His was from a company called Goldbelly, so that was what they did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Sometimes I buy the no beans chili and then add beans to it myself

You monster

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

the best part is they couldn't be assed to add an actual human angle by providing a pull quote about a specific incident from an allegedly "traumatized" employee, the article is all sourced to the CEO

the "trauma" of a customer stealing from your store: "oh, hey, you're fitting a dvd under your coat. uh don't do that, i'm stopping you, please give it back" "thank you for giving it back. now if you walk to the end cap on aisle 7, there are no cameras there and the same product. i am going to look away and reshelve this now while I forget your face or that we had this conversation"

e: i read the article and CNN way buried the lead. it's not one person taking a single product, it's apparently organized armed robbery which yeah, that could be traumatizing.

Arivia has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Nov 23, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i never got the impression they were armed. just that they swarm a store with dozens of thieves at once so there's no way to apprehend them

there's a mention in the article of the thieves carrying guns or knives.

frankly i'm just critiquing the presentation of the article, it feels pretty shittily sourced and i would not be surprised if another more substantiative source fundamentally disagreed with it, but I'm not validating its factual nature, just its organization.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Milk came in little plastic pouches instead of cartons in school. We had to watch an instructional video on how to insert the straw. This was apparently only a Louisiana thing. Did anyone else have milk pouches at school?

https://mobile.twitter.com/georgejones04/status/1224727773513764864

This tweet says late 80s but it didn't hit my school district until around 1992 or so.

I vaguely remember this in Ontario Canada, where the big milk bags are too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a neurodevelopmental disorder so you really need to understand the underlying impairments in executive functioning. You can have similar neuropathology that affects people in hugely different ways at the behavioral level because of factors like personality and lifestyle demands. Diagnosis and treatment tend to be purely behavioral which is a big issue and goes back to how the DSM is written/organized among other longstanding issues in psychiatry. A lot of the research, especially with children, is super compromised because of the descriptive/behavioral diagnostic criteria.

The best reading rec for laypeople would be Thomas Brown's books, this one is the best/most recent overview: https://www.amazon.com/Outside-Box-Rethinking-Children-Practical/dp/1585624276/ Russell Barkley is also good.

what books for adults with adhd trying to understand themselves (me)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I have a pretty dark speculation about what the remaining two characters are

metass was a pretty bad gen4 pokemon, even if steel/poison was a pretty interesting type combo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

restroom access restrictions of any kind are the ultimate :capitalism:

feminists fought back and stopped it for fifty years, time to fight again https://jezebel.com/the-1970s-feminist-fight-against-pay-toilets-1773143625

e: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-19/why-the-u-s-should-give-pay-toilets-another-chance and here's the obligatory bloomberg article that letting the free market charge for toilets again will solve everything

Arivia has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Dec 28, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mola Yam posted:

i don't know what web 3.0 is, but i know that web 4.0 will be made from sticks and stones

cool we can still have the internet with that https://www.sparkpost.com/blog/sparkpost-afire-ssp/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

what do you mean i can’t run VR off my 2013 pentium II laptop

why the absolute gently caress were you buying a pentium 2 laptop new in 2013

was this some embedded systems poo poo

was it a toughbook with radiation hardening or something

did you bring it back with you from the ISS

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would like my house to be made of hemp.

you should build a house in Minecraft

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

generally the drunker the polity the better the public transport: wisconsin is an outrageous exception to this

mike stoklasa cannot run an entire train system all by himself

he needs at least one rich evans to drive the other train

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

And I'm curious how its 2000sq/ft

Although coming from the far future is most impressive.

the listing is just for the land basically. it's been rezoned to be suitable for much denser housing due to proximity to public transit, so it's $11 million but you can build six condos on it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna download the Declaration of Independence.

Nicholas cage is tracking your firewall right now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

This jpg of the Mona Lisa I have is going to be worth a fortune after I buy and destroy the original

oh god please no there is so much to a painting a jpg can’t replicate

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

A date that will live in infamy, because I bought the timestamp for December 7, 1941, 8:00 Hawaii time

I’m buying the beginning of the Unix epoch so now every computer owes me money

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

They didn't say that, just that they won't sleep on the benches. They'll sleep on the ground, where they belong, because they are ground people you see.

if the homeless are ground people who are positive people and negative people

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

capitalism.png - Tucker Carlson wants to gently caress the green M&M

capitalism.png - I want to gently caress the green M&M

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Also "I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic" better fuckin' show up on that goons.txt twitter account because goddamn

Nah, that’s pretty normal for gender studies. I did an English paper on Wolverine and Mystique’s gender politics for a class that included studying comics. There’s a big difference between being the nerd that tries to crowbar their nerd poo poo into every class (bad) and being the nerd who writes cultural analysis papers critically about stuff they already like and are now thinking about at an academic level (what many profs want you to do in the humanities these days).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Remember in that one x-man movie where the guy is trying to give his son the anti-gay drug and the son is like NO DAD I WAS BORN THIS WAY AND AM PROUD OF IT and spreads his literal wings and flies away.

It has nothing to do with anything we're talking about I just tend to think of that whenever superhero media comes up and it makes me giggle.

remember that the executive producer of that movie is a serial sex abuser using his power and money to prey on young, rumoured underage, men

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Israel is gay.

please do not look outside tel aviv. everything is fine and good and very very gay here and you do not need to go anywhere else. gay. here is gay and safe and fine. just be gay. why do you want to go somewhere less gay.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

fun-fact: the now-mandatory DUI cameras being installed on every car work on the exact same principle

some of them require you to select your ethnicity before booting up your car

if you just set your ethnicity to asian, it will NEVER flag u

would strongly suggest that all people, regardless of ethnicity, identify themselves as asian to the cars

i need like a popsicle stick or something so i can make this choice with my epicanthal folds, just make a complete mockery of this facial recognition racial poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Motorcycles are greener because they are better at killing their occupants, much like the greenest form of transport which is helicopters

john landis: ecowarrior ahead of his time

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this is actually kinda cool they must have v advanced culinary techniques like putting them on stew

cincinnati chili has spaghetti. dutch chili has sprinkles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently Albanian is a straight shot direct from the source

I’m dismayed with how trans exclusionary the chart is. only cis-alpine, eh, marginalizing secret queer languages.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Beef Head posted:

Got caught by surprise by a commercial on tv last night. bulletproofhelmetusa. Kind of amazing seeing combat helmets for everyday use is a thing. It felt like a Robocop ad so i had to check it out. Paydirt.

that photoshop is ghastly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mistermojo posted:

Jane Campion, PT Anderson, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Julia Ducournau, Steven Soderbergh, Celine Sciamma, Asghar Farhadi, Paul Verhoeven and David Lowery all released movies just this last year

and how many of those are fake westerns for gays

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FFT posted:

yeah that's why i excluded her up front

Eva Green in Penny Dreadful is probably as close as i'm gonna get to whatever neurons were firing even though i've never watched Penny Dreadful

Emily Blunt?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

There's comics not printed in color? Like as long as I remember even non-Sunday-edition newspaper comics have been in color what the hell

it differs from place to place but the last time I looked at my local newspaper zits, foxtrot and whatever else was there was in black and white when it wasn’t a Sunday paper

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BonHair posted:

The great thing is that presumably the Obama Airforce One was still functional, so the US government also effectively lost a bunch of money.

No, the program to replace the current planes started during Obama's administration when they hit 25 years in service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_VC-25

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Forceholy posted:

I thought Canada had free tuition.

Canada in general does not have free tuition, just a convoluted system of public student loans split between provincial and federal governments that provides starvation-level living on top of tuition and some supplies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

Flush-able toilets alone are a luxury every empire before 1900 would've gone to war and annihilated entire nation states for.

not the English, Elizabeth I had one in 1596

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

There is no such thing as bad booze you persnickety cranks. If someone hands you a half rotten mango with the promise that it will gently caress you up then bottoms up!

i have three year old cans of beer in my fridge, if you want the turboskunk you are welcome to it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Miftan posted:

They're the tube (subway for you yanks) fare zones, but people use 'em for everything else as well. Zones 1 is the very centre of the city and numbers go up further out you go.

do you mean it's the center of the city, or The City, or the cITY?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'll have you know that I only watch youtube content for adults because no youth is gonna watch a greybeard fixing an old computer for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the white hand posted:

hey smokers druaga1 here

nah not that guy much he's kind of a chud i think