Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All they do is swim and eat and make surplus value for their employer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Old men, running the world

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

specifically some of the strikers blocked traffic and got arrested for inconveniencing someones commute

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Alucard posted:

$20,000 to the housekeeping agency
$15,000 to the housekeeper
$40,000 in hush money for the illegitimate child

You can just take the Marx route and convince your buddy to claim paternity

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Friedrich Engels posted:

The implications of this line of thought are that since it is precisely the poor who are the surplus, nothing should be done for them except to make their dying of starvation as easy as possible, and to convince them that it cannot be helped and that there is no other salvation for their whole class than keeping propagation down to the absolute minimum. Or if this proves impossible, then it is after all better to establish a state institution for the painless killing of the children of the poor, such as “Marcus” has suggested, whereby each working-class family would be allowed to have two and a half children, any excess being painlessly killed. Charity is to be considered a crime, since it supports the augmentation of the surplus population. Indeed, it will be very advantageous to declare poverty a crime and to turn poor-houses into prisons, as has already happened in England as a result of the new “liberal” Poor Law. Admittedly it is true that this theory ill conforms with the Bible’s doctrine of the perfection of God and of His creation; but “it is a poor refutation to enlist the Bible against facts.”

Am I to go on any longer elaborating this vile, infamous theory, this hideous blasphemy against nature and mankind? Am I to pursue its consequences any further? Here at last we have the immorality of the economist brought to its highest pitch. What are all the wars and horrors of the monopoly system compared with this theory! And it is just this theory which is the keystone of the liberal system of free trade, whose fall entails the downfall of the entire edifice. For if here competition is proved to be the cause of misery, poverty and crime, who then will still dare to speak up for it?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Just imagine the incredible stress-free powerhouse of a job if the government allowed companies to pay 0/hr and manage your life choices for you. The ultimate freedom.

I too saw Sorry to Bother You

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I had to go through it.

It's a rite of passage.

Teaches you to want a real job.

Puts hair on your chest.

FYGM!

Tbh I'd probably make any hypothetical kids do service work to instill a healthy respect for the proletariat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Earthers get to walk outside into the light, breathe pure air, look up at a blue sky, and see something that gives them hope, and what do they do? They look past that light, past that blue sky; they see the stars, and they think: mine.

https://youtu.be/uCd8MYnHTLw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I welcome our Blindsight future

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they said that hundreds of times over the years and were right like 20, 30% of the time. temporary declines, tho.

Theres an old joke about a British civil servant who worked in the foreign office for decades, from Victoria through the fifties. And he says when he retired, that every year people would come in terified and spin wild tales of war and destruction and he'd have to calm them down, send them home and tell them not to worry, there would be no war this year. And you know, he was only wrong twice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tracer Tong Was Right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/dry_hugs/status/263462863098769409?lang=en

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Monopoly sucks as a game and as criticism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That said someone really needs to do an explicity marxist economic board game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1510/class-struggle

it's dog shite

the essence of a modern german-style board game is an inherent system of levelling in the game mechanics, to make it more fun. not compatible with showing you unfairness

I was thinking doing a euro style thing where everyone plays factory owners doing a simplified economy where labor is a significant input and also tied to consumption of goods you produce, and as time goes on opportunities for expansion dry up so you have to cut labor costs which results in a crisis of overproduction. You cpuld probably make it work

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

Wir Sind Das Volk! is a great one

Its extremely good and also introduced me to German punk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxOQIhdjC0

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Start with monopoly end with Cuba Libre

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

It owns that it's an objective good to kill as many cows as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4gfYwV3qM

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AgentF posted:

What's the bite sized media-friendly response to that phrase?
it's a pretty accurate description of how under capitalism money equals power

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frog Act posted:

a recent Chapo episode they talked about how the running joke that most vociferous conservatives own some kind of incredibly stupid luxury business like wainscotting trim repair or boat waxing or something generally characterized by being a service used by only a very small and comparatively wealthy portion of even the US, much less the world, population. your post made me think about that because its absolutely true for most conservatives I know in real life who are often contractors and are thus often (mostly even) directly contracted by individuals with money to burn in the housing market for the better part of their business. this gives them an incredibly hosed up and distorted perspective on the nature of contracts, consent, and wealth, and because they're usually pieces of poo poo, they don't empathize enough with their own employees to see how that dynamic breaks down immediately beneath the owner-client level. they just extend this dumbass logic to all business in the same way many people talk about the national debt like a household budget because inaccurate extrapolations of personal anecdotes are basically the core tenet of modern conservatism

i was on a board of review for a kid going for eagle scout a while back, and he mentioned he wanted to run a construction business (his uncle's a landlord). we got to talking about leadership and i asked him "okay so in scouts everyone's more or less there because they wanna be, everyone's democratically elected, there's an implicit assumption that even if you're a kid getting bossed around by your patrol leader eventually you'll get elected to a position once you're experienced. how do you plan on leading people when they only reason they don't tell you to gently caress off and walk off the site is because they'll starve to death?" the question had literally never occurred to him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

pushpins posted:

Thanks for the link. I hate Undercover Boss more then anything else in entire world. Do they mention that guy who got fired runs a Tilted Kilt now?

Lol no I didn't realize that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZhhA87d6g

"Take a close look at the record of this company, and you will see that we gambled in markets traditionally regarded as non-profit. Hospitals. Prisons. Space exploration. I say good business is where you find it."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dead Beef posted:

I was told to expect a 10% raise this year, but got 1.5% instead even though profits are way up. This is the third year in a row... my rent is going up too, gently caress... I'm never going to not be in debt.

I told our boss it feels like a slap in the face, then I was reminded that our company has a strict policy not to discuss salary, raises, or bonuses, so I shouldn't bring it up again.

fwiw (not much) it's actually illegal to tell people they can't discuss wages

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Platystemon posted:

State religion.

hell yeah pumped for the new cult of the supreme being

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

look if you dump food that's basically the same thing as starving people, so if you do it we'll bomb the farm next to you two years too late

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My brothers in navy ROTC and they had an ethics class where the teacher mentioned my lai and he was the only guy in the class that had heard of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

its cool how he just wants to be the dude from count zero that's just a tumorous mass spilling across multiple nutrient vats who communicates exclusively through vr

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Business owners are an anathema to good business :mmmhmm:

I keep going back to matt bruenig's comment that most small business owners are just capitalist cosplayers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Easy Diff posted:

waiting for the one who decides to rob a church collection box before having second thoughts at the last minute. Once that happens, I can die of irony.

And then gets scooped up by a cop for loitering

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Literally just struggle sessions lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Why donate yourself when a serf can do it for you?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ive always wanted to get married to the sex robot from new vegas

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

One girl got caught taking bathroom breaks during class with a teacher who didn’t partake and there was a loving town hall hearing over whether to fine her or ban her from “market day” next go-around.

At first the teacher was kind of annoyed that we were like “whatever” and were going to give a verbal warning or fine the equivalent of a fake quarter. So the teacher amped up the dishonesty of it and watched the class start going full fash until at the end it was the teacher vetoing the absurdly harsh punishments and Scarlett Letter poo poo the class started endorsing.

It did not help that the class was probably 85% white and this girl was Indian American. Pretty sure her ending up in tears and her dad, a professor at Purdue University, flipping poo poo are part of what ended the whole thing early.

we were all dumb 5th graders and it’s not like I was the wise sage in the room, but the whole thing was not fun after that loving “hearing.” I think her dad reached out to other parents, because I got a lecture from my mom about what little cretins we collectively were to her that week.

wait where was this? i live in lafayette

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lol I was just talking to a maintainace guy at a metal plant that was talking about how they laid a guy off, realized no one else could do his job, and had to hire him back paying his full salary for 6 months of work while they got someone else to train. Then they fired everyone who worked on ordering parts and haven't replaced them at all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay but mac and cheese burgers are good if you're drunk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I almost wish I was in marketing just to see what kind of crazy poo poo I could get away with.

"What if uhhh... we said Subway was the victim of a hate crime?"

i'd volunteer to commit it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

T-man posted:

Mark Fisher was right to hang himself, as well as about most everything else. We're all hosed, thanks for showing me the light steak-ums. God is dead, and the only thing to replace it is brands.

The human need to be watched and judged was once fulfilled by God. Now, we can perform the same function with data mining algorithms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Real Imelda Marcos hours