Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If I made a Kickstarter to build a guillotine, would I need admin approval to advertise it? I keep asking my dad to make one for me as a birthday present but he can't afford the materials or time despite being the oldest and probably best-paid guy working at the factory he's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not in the UK, but I'm looking at buying a house now, and I desperately want a tap that dispenses cold, sparkling water, and am willing to pay some fairly unreasonable prices for it, even if I have to import it.
I bet you wouldn't like my well water.

This sub thing makes me wish the version of Hell in AMC's Preacher were real. Billionaires in an endless loop of being trapped in there for eternity.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

Okay nevermind dude's just a dick
Show them a dollar bill and ask them which part of "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" they don't understand

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

bedpan posted:

lmao @ the fight for 15 approaching 15 years old

8923_4 posted:

the fight for $15 fizzling out ....[retail prices double].....[5 years later]... we'll rehire you for $12.75 an hour.
I made a spreadsheet for personal use a little while ago that tells me how pissed off I should be about wages. The tables are the rate of inflation from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the minimum wage adjusting for it (from right after it was signed, not taking the end of year average most calculators do), and the percentages respectively. Here you go. It's at about $10.1044 now.

https://filebin.net/ufchqke45rfpkp93/inflation2009.xls

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

StealthArcher posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way to kill Lichhinder prematurely is with that airplane sword the Vietnamese made.
Nah if you want to kill a phylactery lich you need something like Swords to Plowshares

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

I was thinking about that recently, how there was a point within living memory where the whole world came together to vaccinate so many people we literally eradicated a disease from the entire global population, and how comically unthinkable something like that would be today
Probably but I'm not completely sure since a contagious disease that kills a third of the people who catch it and seriously fucks up the rest is probably bad enough for the bottom line for the owning class to actually care.

Edit: same with if they made it a political issue, there'd be a lot of Republicans realizing that unlike Covid, unvaccinated people dying actually hits enough of their voter base to it to really hurt them.

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Sep 24, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I've known pipe tobacco was vastly cheaper for a while now and just figured out that delta-8 distillate is legal for purchase so I've combined those and effectively stay high as poo poo for an average of like eight bux a week. God bless drugs and the 2018 Farm Bill, signed into law by a man who I guarantee you did not know this would be a consequence of it

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm currently dealing with a national head of a sales division for a chemical line who can't read an SDS and has no concept of what is or is not a hazardous chemical.

This man is managing products that if not properly handled will create chlorine gas clouds, or lead to people drinking contaminated water and he's subliterate at best.
I can plausibly lie to the government about needing chemicals for farming purposes, slightly curious how much fun poo poo I could order off an idiot like this if I had the desire and a lot of money to waste (lol that's never happening)

Also like everyone else I'd like to know how someone makes it that far into sales with that amazing skillset without getting arrested for something

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Nov 9, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite example of this is their fuckin' like, Ethics 101 understanding of utilitarianism, where the answer to the thought experiment "is it better to have [some impossibly huge but finite number of people] get briefly inconvenienced by dust in their eyes, or to torture one man horribly for 50 years straight", which they think is so obviously the second one that if you don't agree you must just be stupid.

Also they originally phrased the part I put in brackets as like, "3↑↑↑3 people" or something similar using Knuth's up-arrow notation for describing very large numbers, because making sure everyone knows they are Very Smart Boys that read a wikipedia article on Knuth's up-arrow notation once is far more important than having a clear and well-defined premise for your thought experiment.
Torture euler's number of people forever so nobody has to suffer, duh

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Okay this is basically a double post but what kind of self-respecting nerd is going to buy a green lantern ring when the lantern corps themselves are based on emotions and violet is the color associated with love

(unless you can stay hard for hours through sheer willpower or some poo poo)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
automatic firearms license apply retroactively?
age of consent laws by state
lawyers near me

Edit on-topic: this computer doesn't have a mic and my phone isn't smart so the worst I get is something like clips for Star Trek Voyager showing up in YouTube recommended after I go on a nostalgia spree on some streaming pirate site

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Nov 17, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Palladium posted:

im pretty sure those on or off doesn't matter on the "spying on you" part
If they give you an option to turn it off and spy on you anyway maybe that matters in court like ten years from now

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Similar thing as water. they sell by bracketed amounts, not gallons, unless you also have your sewer metered. i think you gotta pay to have that retrofitted which is not cheap. They also got sued for some situation iirc. Because it's technically a city you technically must be connected.

You're not allowed to collect rainwater either, corrupt as gently caress. Hypothetically this is to prevent people from drinking untreated water when I have only ever known people to water plants with it. I think you can get a permit? Dunno been a while since I had to deal with any off it tbh
Good thing the government is here to tell us that actually if you do things like collect water, grow certain plants or try to fix something you own this is a crime, a bad thing

Edit: yes that is probably the same as a Libertarian position but at least I know the same capital they worship is causing these things to be illegal

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Nov 28, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

I literally cannot imagine having customers that don't come with their own set of far more important-to-them problems that they are already screaming at you about before you can "offer" to fix anything you think needs fixing.
Lawyer. They scream at you the important problems right out of the starting gate and it's your job to do something about it

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Same but which thread you in

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Evilreaver posted:

Cases typically revolve (in my experience) around the testimony of the vocational expert, or VE. If the VE can find 10,000 or more jobs in the nation that a claimant could potentially work with their impairments and disabilities, the judge can find them not disabled. Some judges jump at this opportunity, and some VE wield this power despotically.
If they go with 10,000 jobs you can hypothetically do if hired but it's the kind of job where your resume is at best going to get laughed at, this sounds too easy

Like I could theoretically be a bad programmer for a bad wage and just pick it up as I go

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Dec 8, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Evilreaver posted:

One of the common stipulations is that it's a job easy enough to do with only one to two days of training, so programming jobs are out

But surveillance system monitor? That job can be done with no training and sitting on your butt all day, so as long as the judge can convince himself that you are capable of sitting for six straight hours you're not disabled
Yep, that's pretty evil. Are jobs that boring and easy pretty much completely you have to know a guy to get it like I think they are?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

jetz0r posted:

or it's so horrible that the turn over is insane because the job pays $7.50/hr in a non-climate controlled warehouse in texas with 6 tiers of idiot nepo baby bosses harassing everyone to quit so that only the most desperate stick around.
Ah, got it. It's not just you can do a horrible job hypothetically, it's we also know you can't afford rent anywhere even in Texas with that wage but that's not our problem is it

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

cash crab posted:

i love rules lawyering especially when the entire point is just to make people suffer harder with more steps
Ideas for the revolution:
Take the worst administrators in SNAP, health care etc. who literally are just this, take half their wealth, and give that and any drugs he might want to Matt Mercer in exchange for hosting a massive game of D&D where they can get into day-long arguments about doing anything for all of eternity. Will Wheaton makes all dice rolls for all players.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
My mother got state unemployment benefits and Social Security disability at the same time because her employer was stupid enough to say they fired her for the disability. So in order to get enough in benefits to pay for her obviously expensive as poo poo healthcare she was in a superposition of looking for a job and not looking for a job simultaneously. Luckily Texas doesn't care enough to put in the effort to check if she actually applied to whatever jobs she'd fill in every week (I guess evil has an opportunity cost and that would've been too much time and money for the state).

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Dec 18, 2023

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Applying for jobs for unemployment is easy. Get on LinkedIn and do the "InApply" option where the application is just your LinkedIn-generated resume gets sent to the employer. You will never get a callback from an InApply application, so you don't have to worry about losing benefits because you turned down an offer, and LinkedIn keeps a record of what you applied for so re-certifying for benefits is simple.
This might be good to know depending on the extent to which I eventually become my parents, thanks

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I don't mean to alarm you guys as well, but I am currently trying to engage in a bit of capitalism and I am shocked, shocked I tell you that having the lowest price on something with all other things being equal does in fact not mean you can succeed if large businesses work together to make you nearly invisible by giving themselves a leg up

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I once got a 3 day pay-or-quit because the management company made a whoopsie and forgot to log my rent payment in quickbooks or whatever and the actual owners meanwhile also couldn't be bothered to keep track of who they cashed checks from or their account balances.
Of course the onus was on me, first to provide the canceled check/bank record that showed I had paid rent thst month, then "Oh we assumed that check was for the previous month, since you missed that one!"
I then had to produce the proof that they had indeed cashed that check as well, and again for the month before. Naturally there was no penalty for their mistake, but if I hadn't responded and taken care of the whole thing in 3 days (and only during the business hours they were available) they would have been able to start evicting me -and the management company did mention the owners had authorized that.

For the record, I had never been late, let alone missed a rent payment when I was there. Though they did fail to properly update their records for 3 months after a roommate moved out/I stopped needing an extra parking space, so they issued another pay or quit over shortpaying for that parking spot.
How horribly, horribly naive am I being when I say lawyers oughta be able to make a living just suing for this poo poo on contingency

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If I need therapy because I'm depressed about how evil capitalism is and I use BetterHelp, can I then sue afterwards on the basis of the company doing what it promised is fundamentally impossible on an institutional level

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Car Hater posted:

Some friends of mine actually started and run a small telehealth company that manages to pay the therapists well and treat them as full employees without subjecting them to the insane "productivity" bullshit.

The secret is that they focus exclusively on schools and suckling at the teat of government contracts.
Dude should market the poo poo out of this to chuds since what he's doing is mental health for schools, literally exactly what they say the solution to guns is

About wanting workers happy, what employer wants a guy who realizes his self-worth? They might get crazy ideas like knowing what surplus value means

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Feb 19, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wow imagine working a job you're overqualified for that doesn't look particularly good on your resume
As someone who could fuel half of Texas with my wasted potential energy, yes

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I've found the main advantage of not having a smartphone is not being expected to engage in some of the dumber aspects of society
[oldperson]No I'm not paying forty extra dollars a month so you can lower your operating costs by not having a physical menu or minimum wage for waitstaff, and yes I tip well because ain't the waiter's fault[/oldperson]

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Feb 22, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

My work (independent liquor store) has an app now under the branding of our supplier and it's a lot less weighed down with poo poo than a lot of other things like it, there's no loyalty program, no keeping track of what you buy each visit, it's just basically a digital voucher redemption system that you have to give your name, phone number and suburb to and people still try to scan it in every time even when they aren't buying anything on special and it doesn't do anything and I'm getting sick of explaining it to people
Come to think of it, now that I took enough time to fully read and understand that, I can't remember a time when any business needed to ask for more than my name and phone number at the register after I sign up for something. I highly doubt this experience is unique.

Edit: I think Spec's does pretty frequent discounts on random poo poo with that

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 10:22 on Feb 22, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Maybe if he keeps going with the story he'll get to the part about how this complaining managed to call down someone with a high enough rank in the company to influence a change to the policy. So,

Ditocoaf posted:

People really need to internalize that when a cashier asks you for something, they aren't personally making the decision to ask you for that. If you really want to fight a store policy, do so with the knowledge that the person you're talking to has absolutely no say in that policy. Your odds of success will increase very slightly, and your odds of not being an rear end in a top hat to a teenager will increase dramatically.
This

Edit: just reminded myself of an instance where a guy I know actually got somewhere complaining to the management. Specifically, making the police take cash for a fine when they really didn't want to because public government agency plus legal tender for all debts. Why yes, he was white, however did you guess

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Feb 23, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Pretty sure the simultaneous opposition to abortion and sex ed is so the population of exploitable labor is forced to go up more than it wants to, since the kind of social safety net that would encourage us to would be a solid long-term strategy for increasing the wealth of the owning class and gently caress long-term gains for the same reason as let's boil the planet- they ain't gonna be alive long enough to care

It's kinda really drat weird seeing our rulers stop caring about their own kids inheriting a world on fire that's gonna inevitably lead to us killing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Biplane posted:

Yeah the end of human civilization is just a bonus.
I was thinking that for the supporters and other way around for our rulers but hey if evil isn't that smart, good

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Apr 14, 2024