Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

No going to lie, I’ve always loved the work from home option...

it’s sort of like between a regular work day, and a PTO day.

I’m technically working, but don’t really have to deal with anyone in the office. People pretty much just forget about me when I work from home so I get bothered a lot less. I get to save my PTO for when I actually want to use it. Get to stay in my pajamas all day.

I worked from home today. I literally just wanted an extra hour of sleep, so I just texted my boss and went back to bed. Worked all day from my couch devoting more effort to watching Highlander than answering emails.

Work from home has meant "play video games and watch movies while periodically checking email" as long as I've known it existed and it owns owns owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I work in the biopharma packaging industry and holy poo poo is this ever a bad idea. Sterilization and septic connections are critical throughout the process and a single gently caress up can ruin a whole batch. There is no way to practically downscale the operation for home use like brewing beer or whatever.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Honestly, one of the big cost drivers in biopharm is lack of standardization. Every company does things their own way and require custom products with custom port locations, connector types, filters, etc.

Some trade groups are starting to spring up to try and address this but there is a long way to go. A huge portion of my job is to make variations of single-use bags for a single customer with the hope that they will order maybe 100 a year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

AnoHito posted:

See also:
"No Child Left Behind"
"Defense of Marriage"
"Religious Freedom"

It's almost like they know how ghoulish what they're doing is and try to name it the opposite to throw people off...

"Pro Life"
"Strong on [whatever]"
"Death Tax"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will freely admit that Frank Luntz is really good at what he does.

He's a loving piece of poo poo and I hate what he does, but drat if he doesn't end up coming up with some real focus-tested humdingers that stick with the CHUDs.

Also, let's be honest, they have a much more susceptible target audience.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Relating to the public school branding from a few pages back, I play basketball at a local middle school after hours and noticed at all the room/programs are sponsored by brands. I thought it was weird seeing "photography club brought to you by instagram" but never would have guessed how pervasive that was.

Ugh.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Adding 7-11 coffee to ice will make for the weakest coffee imaginable.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

It's a great thing balloon manufacturers were lobbying the government to keep selling off the national helium reserve.

I work in biopharma packaging and everyone wants leak testing to make sure there are no holes bigger than a handful of of microns. I'm struggling to convince them that extruded film doesn't have pinholes and any manufacturing defects will be big enough to detect using other methods but it's difficult.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

eh, kantorovich almost got gulaged for having the bourgeois concept of money in his linear programming price system, but he was the closest to actually creating an automatic system for assigning production to poo poo

soviets ignored him a remarkable amount (he was a genius and heralded as such but nobody fuckin actually implemented poo poo from him), but american firms sat up and listened like gently caress to danzig, and here we are

This post got me down a wiki hole to learn about it and it's pretty neat. Mostly because I read the last line as a bunch of CEOs jamming down to Mother by Danzig and had no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Wrong thread

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Local Weather posted:

I was hired at a foreign subsidiary of a major American corporation to build a specialized software system. During my project one of the other projects going on, one with substantially more attention from the top falls behind, like way behind. To try and fix this the company takes my entire development team and assigns them to the failing project. They then tell me that I have to present my project to corporate review as complete, we pass the review and are now in maintenance mode. The dev team I have been working with for two years proceed to all leave the company so not only does my project come to a screeching halt, the other project gets nothing from it.

I am told to get my team back I have to go out and get customers to agree to a beta test project with the system. It is not finished, it is marginally functional, but I have to do this to continue on. I manage to get a beta site, I am told that I still won't have a dev team for several months, as to how I am supposed to deal with this I have to figure that out for myself.

In a week or two I will be in an office with people expecting to be able to do stuff in the system and frankly I will be pretty loving surprised if they don't throw me out of their offices.

The tech industry is so full of complete bullshit it's incredible that anything gets done.

At my engineering job something happened a few months ago and now everything has to be scheduled down to the finest detail even when there are tons of unknowns and the leads times are total mysteries. Initially this lead to missing artificial deadlines which lead to wrist-slapping from upper management. So the next round we baked in a bunch of slack to account for unknowns the best we could. So we get accused of sandbagging and not working hard enough.

Now we are being asked to document our hours worked on every individual thing down to the 15-minute block. There was a big team meeting today to inform us that "everything is critical and needs to move faster" and we are now expected to work from home, on weekends, and after hours.

Oh, and none of these projects have actual customers identified yet. All this whip-cracking is totally self imposed and arbitrary.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Is that one solid piece of welded aluminum? Will make packing it when transporting more difficult than the usual countersunk bolts under the base.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Otherwise known as my customers

sigh even harder...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I bought a $10 ring on Amazon the weekend before my wedding and only wore it that day. Now it sits on the trunk of a ceramic elephant on my mantle.

I know a few other married guys that don't wear rings as well.

Also I had no idea that a woman's engagement ring and wedding band were different things. She only has an engagement ring that I got at a small consignment shop.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Maya Fey posted:

ok but can yo ulive on a train

In multiple China Mieville novels, yes.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

inferis posted:

people should talk about how much money they make more often, not talking about it helps corporations and no one else

I tried this when I am with coworkers but its really hard to get people to open up on this. The more money = better than is so ingrained that it gets real uncomfortable.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Gorson posted:

I made the point to HR and my GM that if the time entries are being fudged that the data gained from those time entries is meaningless and the entire thing should be scrapped, thus saving all those hours that go into time tracking and the gathering of data from it. Robo-HR then doubled down by ignoring logic and stating that it was one of my job duties to track time. I then told her the last person in my position to quit did so in large part due to time tracking (to be clear, I am obviously ok with tracking billable time) and asked her straight up if they were willing to lose employees due to it and after a quick reboot she responded with "yes". I shook my head, couldn't believe they would just come out and say it.

I finally got a position where I don't need to track time (I'm loving salaried) but before that I just had a candid conversation with my boss that my limiting factor on output isn't time, its my ability to give a poo poo, and he let me just scale everything by that metric and multiply the percentages by 40 every week.

Hours allocation is always stupid. always.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

at my job we have to log time down to the 10th of a minute.

e: lmao I meant hour. tenth of an hour. not minute. god dammit.

That is insane. When I was doing it by the hour I would still just fudge it since time doesn't just fall into quantized neat little buckets like that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
You should all watch The Goods starring Jeremy Piven to learn about life at a car dealership.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Just bring a gun to the dealership and wave it around occasionally, that'll get you a fair price.

John Q but locked in the showroom while a dude in a bad tie is frantically trying to figure out how to override the undercoating fee.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

fill a sugary (opaque) drink with live wasps, WASP

Many such cases

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I haven't bought clothes outside of a Costco in like 5 years at least.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

they made a joke?? which season?

https://y.yarn.co/6342549a-d457-4fdd-b015-b25c479494cc.mp4

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

I'm pretty sure some Texans could qualify as a tribe that has never tasted water.

British workers at the malt liquor plant were among the only ones not to contract cholera during that outbreak. Because they drank almost exclusively malt liquor run-off.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Denmark usually requires a month's notice. But the thing is, everyone knows that you are already mentally absent and/or that they can't do poo poo, so you can pretty much just shitpost instead of working for a month.

Yeah I gave like 3 months notice at my last job and then just coasted without getting any assignments for a while.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I loved the subway and streetcars in the year I lived in Toronto.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

I was just looking up why people were getting loving bitcoin ads in fortune cookies and found this awful bullshit:

https://www.openfortune.com/

Imagine the kind of loving brain worms marketers must have where they see any empty space of any kind anywhere and go WHY ISN'T THERE AN AD THERE???

It gets worse.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

wasn't there some study done that people who played lacrosse where like 10x more likely to be hired due to a fault in the "ai" program?

Probably just uncontrolled variable correlation with them being white and rich.

e: related, when I was a junior in college I got a call to interview with a company I don't recall even submitting a resume with. Two other guys in my class also got the call and one had a car so he drove. This dude was the biggest try-hard in class and wore a nice suit to the interview whereas I wore a polo and cargo pants.

On the car ride home I got a call like 15 minutes into the hour-and-a-half drive and he did not. It was very awkward.

Salvor_Hardin has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Apr 11, 2022

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

My richest friend growing up had central vacuum in his house and he used it for sucking up bugs he found in the house

I always wondered exactly where they went, but not enough to actually find out

My neighbor had baseboard vacuum outlet things in every room and instead of a floor vacuum they had this giant braided hose they would plug into the suck outlets and use that to clean a room. Kind of clever but probably a little lost in the sauce.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

*walking into the restaurant* All the same, we take our chances...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Honestly at this point I'm surprised you have to build anything at all, instead of leaving the land empty and making bank off the condo potential and condo potential derivatives

Isn't this the basis for the plot of Yakuza 0?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Also theres a nice middleground between mass produced trash and bespoke hand-sewn garments. The things we make and buy should be better and last longer.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
One good thing about untracked PTO is it fixes the blurring of sick days and vacation days. Since its not tracked if you are sick you just don't go in without stressing about using up your finite days.

Also random things like needing to be home for a sewer line fix or to sign for a delivery is easier than having to figure out if leaving at 2:30 needs to be tracked as a half-PTO day or whatever. Of course, this is all contingent on your boss being cool.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't like anything hotter than a jalapeno but I do like when hot sauces name themselves poo poo like "Dr Prolapse's Rectal Inferno"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That Bahn Mi does look and sound pretty fuckin good though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

why?

and who are you to decide that?

If there are material needs that could be addressed that would change the mind of a person considering suicide that is a preferred outcome. This isn't hard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Everything should be measured exclusively in grams

Pretty sure this is how people lose arms and order grand pianos without remembering.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

There's a fancy word for this I always forget, but you're doing it right!

I can be merciful and permit mg

The Joose requires precision down to the microgram. Or you can just eyeball it (which means dosing some amount directly into your eyeballs).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Time to reenact the Big Shell Incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also not true in practice, actual sterility testing will have limits of quantitation in terms of TOC or cfu/ml or something.

TOC is total organic carbon and CFUs are colony forming units, a measure of bioburden. What you want is Sterility Assurance Level (SAL) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterility_assurance_level

For context, we target SAL 10^-6 for our sterility validation for the biopharma packaging products I design.