Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just bought the game on Steam, what have i let myself in for?

Have played Avorion & Space Engineers but this looks more towards... Fallout? (never played it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

You are in for a chill exploration game with minimal combat. Also inventory managment.

Should have bought it sooner then. :cheersbird:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Earwicker posted:

its nothing like fallout. the most similar game i can think of is Astroneer. but its fairly different from that as well

if you enjoy grinding play in normal mode or maybe survival, you'll spend a lot of time collecting and scavanging and organizing and farming

if you hate grinding play in creative mode, and you can explore and build to your hearts content without worrying about micromanagement. definitely the most chill way to play, you can just zoom from planet to planet forever, and there are billions of them

technically there is combat in the game but its not at all the focus and it kind of sucks, but that doesnt matter because its fairly easily avoided

also a lot of good ambient music in the game, an aspect of it that is very underrated imo

No worries, i'm enjoying it already.

The control system looks to be quite console focused & i'm an old fart :corsair: but i mapped it all to my g-13 so my sanity was maintained. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only got the game a few weeks ago and i'm lost for words sometimes about how enjoyable a game this is. :cheersbird:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Yeah big updates tend to mess up mod installs.

While there's some attention on this thread, does anyone else on PC have the issue of a brief pause / stutter when transitioning between space and a planet? It feels like a shader cache issue or something similar as frame rates are fine the rest of the time. The game's currently installed on an NVMe drive but the issue was exactly the same on a SATA SSD. Not sure if it's worth trying to troubleshoot it or if it's just a limitation of the engine.

I get that every time i leave a planet, less than a second, i just though it was normal for the game and gave it no thought. :shrug:

Installed on my SSD.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Now i just need the game to stop crashing every time i exit the ship, a new start as well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Still losing carbon every time i pack up my portable refiner, sometimes it's the little things that annoy the most.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Personal Refiner (available from the exosuit guy in the nexus) pretty much completely replaces the portable one.

Ahh, very nice. :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just started playing No Man's Sky. My impression was that your starting planet is generated just for you and you start off truly alone.

However, while on my starting planet, I saw at least 5 space ships (other than my own) flying around. None stopped near me, they all flew overhead and went... somewhere.

Were these other players who somehow discovered my planet? I only spent about an hour on the planet before I fixed my starship and left.

Also, if I wanted to return to that planet, how do I do so? I didn't find a map in the menus, but I am also a little overwhelmed by all the menu stuff and perhaps just missed it.

NPC ships, you get them on planet & in space... made me feel less alone i found.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Could I have interacted with them somehow, or are they just for atmosphere?

Well i've bumped into them due to my wonderful flying skills, i never tried shooting them as you might lose standing. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Devor posted:

The latest patch fixed the bug that prevented portable refiners from giving you carbon back when you picked them up (even though it didn't mention it in the patch notes)

That's me sorted. :)

I have absolutely no desire to do settlements, i wish to explore.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Which, for me, doesn't really offset that it doesn't look like this -

Also since it's not transferrable between saves, I'd have to leave all the convenience and basebuilding I've done on my proper save behind, so... meh.

That ship looks half Vorlon half head massager.

I really wish we could make our own ships, even just using current ship parts would be a damned good upgrade.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I would love this to death.

Great, now I'm disappointed that this specific system isn't in the game. :colbert:

I've been wondering for a year why it wasn't. :argh:

Building your own ship from parts has always been more interesting than searching infinite parking lots for one that looked cool.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Meh... game on pause for week till most of the kinks get sorted out, my Steam Library overfloweth. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well, none of us will be surprised when 4.06 comes out and includes something like:

- fixed a bug that removed all network functionality from the game (PC/Xbox/PS4/PS5)

We all got upgraded to the Switch version for no extra cost.... it's a feature. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I got a dog.

You pimped your Tapir? :stare:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If anyone followed Xxiou Games on yt, he passed away a few days ago.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Are the Sentinel ships going core or are they just for the current event?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, I didn't know the wind could do that at all. Is that a newer thing or I just avoided too many extreme planets?

Swear i was up in the air for ten minutes, no up, no down, just spinning everywhere. :argh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The only bit of Starfield i want in NMS is the ship builder... even if it's only for fighters i would love it to death.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I still think the way to do custom ship building in NMS is to have to buy or salvage ships, then scrap them to get one of the parts from them. Then build something like a "Ship Construction Bay" in your freighter which allows you to combine them into a whole ship. Maybe you get paints the same way, so to make a fully custom ship just the way you want it involves exploration to find ships with the right parts, and resource gathering to buy or repair them.

Would be very happy with that as well but they haven't gone near ship modding at all for some reason and i do not know why. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Question for anyone playing NMS on Linux;

Just switched to Linux (Nobara) and every time i boot up Steam it "validates" 5gb of the game.

I deleted appmanifest_275850.acf in the Steam files as that was supposed to be a cure for the issue but no joy.

Anyone encountered this problem or spotted a fix?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

40Inch posted:

I get the same bug on Silverblue. I thought I read one time that it's somehow a Fedora, and it's derivatives, issue? It's super annoying, though.

I never got it fixed and just play my GOG copy through Heroic. I don't mind not being online.

Silly me never thought of that, i'll install a different distro tomorrow and see what happens. :tipshat:

Thank god they're nothing like Windows installs.

edit: Update; Installed Linux Mint and it repeated the issue.

I'm not linux smart enough to fix it and i liked Nobara but i may as well do a clean install of Win 10 and roll with it again. :shrug:

If i was a teenager again back when i would happily mess with config.sys & autoexec.bat in Dos 6.0 all damned day then i would persevere with this but those days are long gone. :lol: :corsair:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 20, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Have you guys checked the protondb thread?

I cannot try it now but if it doesn't work on Nobara, I'd try either Endeavor or Garuda. But imho nothing beats Nobara so it could be just a matter of switching the proton version or editing the launcher options. Btw Nobara just released v39 based off KDE for reasons.

Thanks for that link. :tipshat:

I'll give things a go again in a month or so, just want to game for now. :D

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fellow travellers, iterations, goons, and friends, it is starting to really look like modular starships are on their way.

There's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09RffLT_lE

... along with a number of prominent NMS community members on Twitter and other places who have been really digging around what's coming (likely this week, tbh), and have pretty much all come to the same conclusion.

Also possibly coming are (note: what's under the spoiler tag here is also mentioned in the above video!) ship races, as evidenced by the checkered flag Gek decal on the newest starship type found, as well as a few mentions of the word 'race' in the experimental files.

Man, I haven't even done the Echoes content yet, since I took like a year off from this game, but I feel like, if the update happens this week, I'll have a shitload of content that'll essentially be new to me.

Can't wait.

Modular ships are what i have wanted for quite some time. :D

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can't duplicate the S Class mods to sell for nanites any more, slightly annoying. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Custom starships... Sweet Zombie Jesus, my prayers are finally answered. :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If i am moving a lot of items in and out of the storage lockers in without doing other things i sometimes get a crash, used to happen more on windows than linux.

edit: that's where it happens to me. ^^^