Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That is some genuinely useful information in the op, good job Phil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

"Though the government should not profit from its bad behavior it will. Always. Let today's affirmation of this long standing principle be taken as carte blanche to do whatever you want because we sure as heck won't stop ya."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Can't wait to buy the published collection of her social media posts about how tough her life has been.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

I think you meant statue

:golfclap:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just paid off the bulk of my student loans. $800/month post-tax raise right there

Well done. :golfclap:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

A classic.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

You all are assuming you get him out of the white house at some point. He might just be the last president you have.

Those aren't necessarily different things.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Morrison looks like he wants to die every time he gets asked a question.

JD from George Washington. Checks out.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

"Lawyer dies after being shot by gun presented as evidence in court"

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...8b1a6b7a7b8a4ef

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

joat mon posted:

If you look at Escape as the Gift of the Magi for the Boomers it makes even more sense.

Holy poo poo.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kalman posted:

Congrats on being part of the 0.01%!

The system works!

mastershakeman posted:

Congrats, that's like winning the lottery! Were you on ibr the whole time leading up to it?

Pretty much yeah, recertifying and submitting employment verification yearly.

sullat posted:

It went through? Congrats. I'd heard De Vos was slow walking applications for that.

It actually only took about 60 days after I applied. I figured they'd try to find a way to deny it, but Christmas miracles do happen.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats. How much was forgiven? I wanna see some eye-popping #'s.

Nearly a quarter million. IBR didn't even cover the interest payments, so that was higher than the debt I graduated with. Watching that pile up every year with no real guarantee this would work was pretty painful, but it paid off in the end.

Eminent Domain posted:

Congrats.

I need to just send in my certification letter now and swap to fedloan but my current loan servicer isn't entirely staffed by demons and devils so it's difficult.

This decision got made for me when the old company I had got brought out, I was sure it would screw me in some way as all their online records just vanished, but Fedloan was the one who acquired them and it was all integrated seamlessly. This was back before DeVos so lord only knows what would happen now.

sullat posted:

This part is super-annoying. I sent in the annual re-certification like two months ago and it still hasn't processed.

Two to three months was pretty typical for me.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I got called for jury duty for a criminal trial, honestly answered that I wouldn't be biased in any way (by pure chance I knew neither the prosecutor nor the defense attorney or anything about the case), but got struck by a peremptory from the state. If they didn't actually have much a case it was a smart move because I would have held them to reasonable doubt but if they were just striking me because I'm a defense attorney that was probably dumb of them. Oh well I didn't really want to spend all night working because I was stuck in a jury box all day anyway.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's part of a very cool indictment detailing the wonderful "association for justice" types defense lawyers deal with around here.

There are dozens of lawyers doing this poo poo all over and finally the DOJ is starting to investigate them.

I like the specificity regarding tractor trailers.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 10, 2019

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

quote:

Law Megathread: (the first womp is a higher frequency sound than the second womp).

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50757383

Who wants to be in my gang of roving lawyers that trawl the countryside, Mad-Max style, fighting other professional associations.

This really is the end of days jfc.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

During his convalescence, Discendo Vox had bookmarked and read for the first time "Law Megathread: Turn Your House Into A Law Degree." He remembered after finishing the first three hundred pages that it occurred to him that he had better stop. He started up and flung his laptop into the fireplace; the laptop struck the barred grate and fell open on the hearth in the fire-light. If DVox had not caught a glimpse of the opening words of the three hundred and first page he should never have finished it, but as he stooped to pick it up his eyes became riveted to the open page, and with a cry of terror -- or perhaps it was of joy so poignant that he suffered in every nerve -- he snatched the laptop from the hearth and crept shaking to his bedroom, where he read it and reread it, and wept and laughed and trembled with a horror which at times assails him yet. This is the thing that troubles him, for he cannot forget Throatwarbler's palace in Dubai, where black stars hang in the heavens. He cannot escape the memory of Phil Moskewitz's New Orleans slave plantation, where the shadows of men's thoughts lengthen in the afternoon, when the twin suns sink into the gulf. His mind will bear forever the memory of the wretched yet inevitable tale of Toona's Demise. Nor can he forget the passages written foretelling the ascendancy of the ancient and monstrous Senior Partner, with her black-tongued hymns about pregnancy. "Everyone's pretty much agreed," DVox whispered into the blackness of his bedchamber, knowing that no one was listening and no one would care.

In his despair, DVox prayed to God for the first time in decades -- prayed for God to curse the writers of that black thread, as the writers have cursed the world with this beautiful, stupendous creation, terrible in its simplicity, irresistible in its truth -- a world which now trembles before the Law Megathread. It is well known how the Megathread spread like an infectious disease, from city to city, from continent to continent, barred out here, confiscated there, denounced by press and pulpit, censured even by the most advanced of literary anarchists. No definite principles had been violated in those wicked pages, no doctrine promulgated, no convictions outraged. It could not be judged by any known standard, yet, although it was acknowledged that the supreme note of art had been struck in "The Law Megathread" all felt that human nature could not bear the strain nor thrive on words in which the essence of purest poison lurked.

Changed my mind, this for thread title.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

I felt the need to correct

Ah yup. There's your problem.

It's allowed it's just lazy and often ineffective.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Why go to CSPAM when CSPAM comes to us.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

evilweasel posted:

the idea of this attorney sitting quietly in the audience terrified to come forward for about seven minutes while the judge discusses what a fucknut he is reeeeeeeeeally makes me wish i'd gotten to go see this in person

Makes me wonder why he didn't just slink out the back.

Also I usually roll my eyes at judges using grandiose language and theatrics but in this case it seems pretty warranted. I'd like to see everyone who behaves that way kicked out of the profession.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Filed my first entry of appearance for a knucklehead relative who got a DUI. :feelsgood:

The only explanation left is that this is a benevolent trickster spirit that exists just to bring joy to this thread but also make us realize how dead we are inside for finding this funny.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

echopapa posted:

The Chris “long dick of the law” Hook hearing recording is now online!

“The fact that he is not here is troubling.”
“Oh, I’m not troubled at all.”

You are a hero.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hey guys just skimmed six months of this thread. Best post was when someone said Dallas is a city the way cats is a movie.

Also don’t go to law school.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Just gonna get a plague doctor mask to put everyone at ease.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Son, we live in a world that has pointless paperwork, and that paperwork has to be done by men with expensive fountain pens. Who’s going to do it? You? You, associate Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for those military widows, and you curse tall building partners. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that putting those widows out on the street, while tragic, probably saved some faceless conglomerate hundreds of dollars. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves that client between $20-25 per billable hour.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at summer associate happy hour, you want me doing that paperwork. You need me doing that paperwork! We use words like Your Honor, Code of Civil Procedure...I forgot the other one. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending monstrous moneyed interests...you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to an associate who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very rain that I make, and then questions the manner in which I make it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go back to your tiny office. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a fountain pen, and take some loving notes I will never read. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you are entitled to!

This thread always delivers. :patriot:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lmao anyone still working for DOJ is a clown.

They always have been, the circus is just requiring more pies to the face lately.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

This profession is a racket but I hate a lot of the clients I do work for so I don’t care

Feel like this is some sort of lawyer rallying call.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Just lol if you think the rule of law exists as anything other than a tool in the service of fascist/capitalist oppressors, just lmao

Hey now the Magna Carta was a step in the right direction.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also this guy has the brain of a loving slow loris or something and he’s arguing for the president in front of the Supreme Court lol

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1260359394224717826?s=21

We're not really talking about the sort of people who are used to actually answering questions here. His notes probably just said "say Ginsburg is a terrible judge."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why does anyone post

Asking the real questions.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hi, let's not post pictures of corpses.

Thanks.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

blarzgh posted:

You know, I've taken four or five stabs at it over the course of my life and I still remain of the stalwart opinion that philosophy is all loving horseshit

That's because it is.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I simply started to long for the sweet release of death, that way if they kill me I win.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Become norwegian, it's great!

What degree do I need for that.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

The intersection of capitalism and protestantism that results in American grind culture is death cult loving psychosis

Makes calvinism look fun. You're weird and stupid enough to probably do well in law so yeah, go to law school be miserable and make everyone on every file you work with miserable too, you'll fit right in

Law thread, where "you're weird and stupid" is somehow still dangerously optimistic.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I blame those of you who post in D&D for this lame troll following you home.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I'm licking peanut butter off these posts

See now this is a good post. Way to bring it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty sure it was Ashley Feinberg and she broke down all of the audio stuff to figure out he left his mic on and had lunch during his questioning.

And they say journalism is dead.