Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
New thread looking cute feeling cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gleri posted:

You can add me to the OP if you want. I do read the thread and occasionally post. I’m a Crown Prosecutor in Canada, which just means I’m a prosecutor. I’m happy to talk to anyone about criminal law practice in Canada broadly and prosecutions specifically. I can’t talk about any big law things but my partner is a defence lawyer so I have a good overall sense of both sides of criminal practice.

Crown buddies

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I heard his evidence class was pretty good. Unless we're talking about different arctic lawyers who are going down on allegations of forging and submitting court dox to marry more than one woman

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

crying myself to sleep on a pallet stuffed with money

Sorry cant hear you too busy loving my defined benefit pension

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I guess I just always figured Canada didn't have enough contemptuous, boonie idiots to field a squad of sovereign citizens, but I was wrong.

The most serious / dangerous ones are often transplants from Montana.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Y'all need to read Hillbilly Elegy. Having grown up in a rural area, it explains it pretty well.

Poor white people do not want to hear about trans issues, gay rights, minorities, and feminism. Nor do they want to be told how stupid they are, how racist they are, how sexist they are, and how enlightened their betters in government and other positions of leadership are.

Liberalism, especially the form presented online, is frightening to them, because most of it is babbling about rights for people they'll never meet, while completely disparaging the rural and poor as some sort of racist, monstrous others.

They see Bernie Sanders as voting money to entitled, spoiled college kids, while their own kids can't find jobs after high school.

They're going to vote against their interests for so long as liberals are too stupid to sound like they care about their interests.

What a load of stupid poo poo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
See, here in cowboy country, aka real america, we dont got any gays. *pays a 16 year old to let him sick him off before church*

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Which part, that people are dismissive and close-minded? Or condescending and patronizing?

Lol sure dude. Fuckin got em

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A lot of the principles of practice from US seem and sound familiar to me, but the sentencing tariffs sound so bizarre and disproportionate.

Blow someone away with a shotgun in Canada and you (maybe) get 10 years.

Then I hear about other publicized cases where relatively serious offences end up with pretty light sentences. Difficult to reconcile, best I can figure is that the media doesnt do a good job / cherry picks sentences, and also that the states really loving comes down on offenders

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

How's this for arbitrary?

In Texas, murder is a first degree felony. First degree felonies have a range of punishment of 5 years to life in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. Other first degree felonies include:

-possessing, obtaining, transferring, or suing 50 or more pieces of someone else's identifying information.
-possessing 200 grams of THC, including any adulterants and diluents. So if you have a little over 7 ounces of anything that contains THC (edit: with the exception of marijuana) it's a first degree felony.
-Causing a serious bodily injury to a disabled person, senior citizen or child.

Also, if you have two or more prior prison trips then your range of punishment on any third degree felony or higher is 25 years to life in prison. So if you possess (not sell, just possess) 1.01 grams of meth and have been prison twice you're looking at 25-life. Because the range of punishment is so huge if the DA/judge/jury doesn't like someone you can easily have a situation where a guy convicted for murder receives a much lighter sentence than someone on a nonviolent drug charge.

Welp

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Lote posted:

Possession with intent to distribute cocaine or heroin is like 7 grams or two days worth of heavy use.

Is there actual statutory presumptions re intent to traffick from just amounts of controlled substance possessed

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Oh the dude with a bunch of financial irregularities also has personal skeletons? Weird

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

According to intrepid internet gamblers, the Kavanaugh appointment is on the verge of falling through.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/12469/Will-Brett-Kavanaugh-be-the-next-confirmed-Supreme-Court-justice#data

Trading at 31c now.

Kavanaugh gonna have some more "baseball tickets" when his nom falls through and he loses the 300,000 he bet on himself

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You know who I'd nominate? Ken Starr. His only failings are in over or under investigating sex.

Yeah turns out people with monstrous views are usually monsters and that their preoccupation with sex and pizza gate poo poo is actually them telling on themselves

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Pretty cool judicial nomination process you got there. Full, open hearings lead to hyper partisan judges who openly talk about Democrat conspiracies or whatever. I guess that's one way to end up with a legislative supreme court enforcing its particular policy preferences behind a mask of legal reasoning. Hail nazi lochner

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Let's just directly elect the judges instead then have settlements years later on the lawsuits about how the elections were a sham

Or just use an entirely opaque and unaccountable process and hope that your decision makers act in good faith. Works pretty good actually

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Profiles in abject political cowardice

Rapist nominated by a rapist pushed towards confirmation by "How dare you sir" golem is as strong an indictment as you can get of the hollowness of their aesthetic objections to Donald Trump.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 28, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I really have to stop engaging with american politics. There's always more and it's always worse. Republicans are going to nominate a guy to a lifetime position who at his confirmation was literally threatening to exact revenge on the other end of the political spectrum. There's no bottom. Even if you dont believe the rape stuff (but you should), there's no denying his partiality and injudiciousness- he displayed it in sworn loving testimony

Aaaaaa

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hey Clinton, tell us where you shot your load. Lie and it's a felony.

*years pass*

Asking me about my teenage drinking???? Agshagagagahhsgshah I'll set the loving world on fireeeeeee *goes super saiyan*

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

I agree with whoever mentioned yesterday that any liberal org that goes before the court should move for Kavanaugh to recuse himself.

Yeah and when he says no, gently caress you, their recourse is ???

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

I actually have no troublee believing he was levitating off the ground by the force of sheer loving incredulousness and rage at the time he wrote it. Catholic prep school kid turned Republican in house sex lawyer is probably not very used to have women contradict him in public and reacted pretty predictably to it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Get a government job, live in a small town where you can buy a cheap and nice house, marry another lawyer with a government job, console yourself for not living in the big city by loving on a big pile of stress free money every night. That's my advice

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh god christ what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Noone else is going to put up with your poo poo for long in most cases really

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had some moose tenderloin the other day I could cut with my fork. It was unbelievably flavorful and tender. Moose meat rules. Its also helpful that they're huge plentiful animals made out of meat too.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That'd be a very good way to get fatally trampled for most people. It'd be kind of like bow hunting a small truck

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

nm posted:

Pass the bar and we don't care where you live as long as you're willing to move here (probably Sacramento, which is less exciting than the bay or LA, but also marginally affordable still and isn't like Fresno or Bakersfield.).
The whole pass the bar is the annoying part about job hunting across state lines.

It'd be difficult / impossible for a Canadian to do right

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I know canadian lawyers who are called in NY state (for no reason that I can tell other than having the ornate bar admission thing framed on the wall) so it must be possible in some places

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Something that was talked about in the Trump(!) thread that I agree with is that people like Wohl (people who identify with Gordon Gecko) view the world as entirely transactional and can't conceive of someone like Dr. Ford nuking their career due to a moral compulsion. To them, life is a scoreboard and money is points.

It goes without saying, but poo poo like this is why people who assume everything is a conspiracy theory are loving stupid. It is HARD to get facts to line up and cover your tracks. It's why I prep witnesses by telling them that the most important thing to remember is to not lie if you don't know an answer and just say "I don't know" or "I don't remember." Because stories are told in chunks in a direct examination, a small lie early becomes the rotten foundation that everything else that follows is built on.

Anyway, gently caress Jacob Wohl. I hope he keeps reply-sniping Trump right up until he goes to prison.

Its not that complicated. There's a whole ecosystem of right wing welfare, from the supreme court on down, and it attracts guys like Wohl because you just have to be dishonest.

The grift is so loving simple, it doesnt require you to do anything other than tow the line and get paid. The big minds of the new right are like ben shapiro and Jordan Peterson, guys who are one step above needing a drool cup.

They're just dumb and liars and are willing to bend that towards making money in the easiest way possible, which is doing stupid poo poo like diaping up for campus open carry or whatever stupid poo poo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
See also - the rebel, gavin mcinnes, etc

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lol great system where you can have complete turnover of the judiciary based solely on the whim of the hooting, oinking herd.

Sure a bunch of poc women won this time, but that'll just be undone by fox and local news running non stop stories about white women getting murdered by brown immigrants and activist liberal judges not doing enough to execute them and close the borders and otherwise maga

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Concept of politically partisan judges is probably more corrosive to the legitimacy of the court than just about anything I can think of other than them just openly taking money to decide cases.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Trial courts no I agree, especially because they do all kinds of poo poo anyways.

Higher though I do think that. See esp: Beer bro's conduct in the hearing that saw him appointed for life

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Still like his chances better than Biden.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How good do you feel being the lawyer / paralegal whose cut and copy gently caress up made it into a public court filing and is on the front page of the nyt right now

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Tipps posted:

For all you current law students who may be thinking that student evaluations of law professors don't matter, I give you McCue v. UBC (No. 4).

I was in McCue's 2009-2010 property law class, her final year before she mysteriously disappeared from the school (she was rejected for tenure and fired, prompting the 9 year string of 4 lawsuits). She was hands down the worst professor I had in my 3 years at UBC, and her 1L property class remains the lowest grade on my transcript, so it's nice to see that her decade of lovely student evaluations were an important factor in her termination.

It's an extremely long judgment, but good god is it cathartic to see the hundreds and hundreds of pages of testimony from my former dean and professors slamming her for being awful, and acknowledging that the students weren't just being whiny.

E: nevermind, at page 96 the tribunal accepts that the 1L student evaluations were not important. Only her upper level course evaluations were considered. :rip:

Lol the legal profession and educators in particular are absolutely loving failing the current / next generation of lawyers

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 22, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
When I hear all these internet horror stories of prosecutors who don't understand the basic responsibilities / purpose of their jobs, I can't decide if it owes to a culture difference where maybe prosecutors are that bad in the states, or just defence whining about the other side as they usually do.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Friends of mine in the DA’s office basically have 3 rules. 1) don’t politically embarrass the DA 2) winning percentage matters even if it means sometimes cutting a really good deal to the defendant, which some DAs do and some just want to play hardball 3) charge literally everything you possibly can as leverage all the way down to code violations.

Sorry bout your banana republic

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Yuns posted:

Deleted the pic post to spare you all.

Cowaaaaaaaard

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Really strident free speech guys are almost without exception intolerable and popehat is like exhibit a of that species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

I’d say “be patient. We’ll be rid of him soon.” But seeing as the Dems don’t seem to want to actually put forward winable presidential candidates, we’re probably stuck for another 6.

The mindset of waiting for some cop to expose all of trump's crimes as if anyone is going to care is pretty special. Democrats really just do not like winning or power.

Just wait til Mueller gets Trump and problem solved.,
as if "collusion" will make more of a difference to the electorate than Trump's well documented last 3 decades of raping, lying, and stealing