Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I get that the ocean has a limitless supply of coolant, but why do they keep putting them there in spite of the risks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that SUPERSTORM sandy was sub-category 1 and that an actual hurricane would bring with it a much more considerable storm surge than what flooded nyc and jersey

and yeah the mta hasn't meaningfully improved their sites to withstand any future flooding beyond just putting in a buncha watertight doors, to say nothing for other critical infrastructure

it's a huge problem, tho depressingly not that surprising - fema was still doing katrina work in new orleans in 2013

Sandy existed because a hurricane corpse hosed a nor'ester and jizzed all over NY/NJ, it wasn't just a hurricane.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

does Jose have his hotel room booked yet?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yinlock posted:

the earth is very determined to destroy florida

earth has poo poo aim

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

NC deserves all of this and it owns

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

you know what tastes better than pig poo poo? pig poo poo laced with heavy metals

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah it's mostly black folks and hispanic migrant farmers and livestock plant workers that are in the direct path of all the flooding and toxic waste that poo poo rules they totally loving got owned those losers

maybe the destruction of their livelyhood will make them leave that mistake of a state

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

it gets so bad it goes past red and then loops right back to red again, like when they brought back kaioken in dragonball super

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If you're looking for storm discussion, preparation, etc... I recommend storm2k.org. They have a discord as well.

https://www.stormfront.org is a good resource as well

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

huge, if true

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Martout posted:

can't wait for a bunch of editorials about the nation coming together to support their fellow man and this is what america is all about as literally nothing is done and thousands die

the death toll will not exceed 100 :toxx:

cc: Logik, Cpt McClaine

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

You astound all of Christendom by remaining alive

I mean, I am half Austrian...

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

logikv9 posted:

zegermans will win because they'll pull some low-ball figure out of their rear end while standing on a pile of dead drowned corpses

it doesn't count as a death if the body got dissolved by a pig poo poo coal ash super acid

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Harvey was only 80 some dead though. If it does not landfall at cat 4-5 then the danger is flooding, and in general not that many die from floods they know are coming since you need to be trapped in some way to avoid rescue completely. Like in that warning list earlier, it's people in cars, the elderly, and children most at risk since grown adults can often clamber into a roof or something and avoid actually dying.

So hopefully he is right.

Harvey was different because it sat on Houston for a week straight, conveyor belting the gulf into the city until it pushed the crust an inch into the mantle - this seems like it would be more of a Rita-type situation. Or not, whatever.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

welp gonna work like 5 extra minutes of OT today to pay for that rereg

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Roanoke.

oh well that place doesn't have a history of disappearing people

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thoguh posted:

What was your toxx?

body count <100

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ms. Florence I don't feel so good

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

flag is not doing so hot

is it throwing the Shocker

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

two in the flo, one on the pole

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

what were we just watching fall

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so is flag still up

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

practical question: how hard is it to kick out your roof boards if you're stuck in an attic

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

i like that this thread doesn’t have a lust to see people die. it’s a good thing imo

I do in the sense of death to the confederacy/death is extremely good, but not when it affects actual people.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pead posted:

NPR had an interview with someone from new bern and the interviewer kept asking "don't you think you should leave since people will have to risk their lives to save you?" and their response was basically, lol nah, that's their job, i'm not to worried about it.

tjey've got a bit of a point there, 1st responders constantly want their dicks sucked, maybe they should earn it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

we had a 1000 year rainstorm here recently and it loving ruined poo poo

all kinds of 150 year old infrastructure found exciting new cascading failure modes

weird how places keep having 1000 year rainstorms

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

am I winning my toxx

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

hmm micheal might be bad

you mean if it doesn't devastate the panhandle?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

oh man it's exciting to witness 2005 again in real time

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

cmon 7 more MPH before landfall

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

1800 people died in a tsunami less than two weeks ago and it barely made a blip in western media.

I wonder if a part of that is because it looked puny in comparison to the previous two tsunamis

also no one in the west cares about developing world death totals <50k

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I think that little barrier island thing might get hosed

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

A flyover of the destruction at Mexico Beach.

https://streamable.com/i2oq3

:stare:

uh did there used to be houses on all those bare foundations?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Yes, but trees are pruned as time and budget allows, so any given area could have been due or overdue for pruning when the storm hit.

GILLLUUUMMMM!!!!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lol hurricane force winds nbd

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

most destructive, so far

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

buy your eggs milk and bread now folks

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

you keep it in stock, duh

Heres the most recent forecast for tomorrow/wednesday

The red warning line is frostbite in 5 min or less.

Jet fuel freezes at -50 F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

a few years back there was a cold snap so long and cold that you could walk across the mississippi around the missouri river merge where it's very slow moving