Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Real hurthling! posted:

they had like an hour notice i think

You can't blame Midwesterners for ignoring something that has a Spanish name, it's instinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In 2012 there was no warning in the DC area even after the ~Super Derecho~ had left most of Ohio without power. It just *happened* and when I saw 200k reported outages and climbing by the minute on the local power company's tracking website I grabbed a bag and went looking for a hotel that still had power and hadn't thought to gouge their rates yet.

Looking back at the history of the event, meteorologists could see atmospheric conditions were primed, but nothing like it had happened before, and I guess there's no reason to scare people with something you'll have to explain.

Maybe after this they'll finally start calling them Inland Hurricanes so people will instinctively know they're not to be hosed with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Luneshot posted:

also to be real for a moment; i think everybody knows this but it's worth emphasizing that this is the new normal, coming soon to a community near you

natural disasters will shatter lives and livelihoods, leave vast numbers without power or amenities, cripple local economies, and the news cycle will move on within days...if you're lucky to get coverage at all

"Oh? A Derecho damaged your house? And yes, I can see you have Homeowner's/Renter's Insurance with us, and a twenty-three year account holder ~and we do thank you for your business and loyalty~. Buuuuuuut...you didn't elect to take out a Catastrophic Natural Disaster Type C add-on package that specifically covers storms like Derechos. Sorrrrrry, absolutely nothing we can do!" :troll:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Aug 17, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Does the insurance industry try to lobby climate scientists and meteorologists when it comes to storm categorizations.

I'd be really surprised if that's not a big portion of AccuWeather's business model.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Reminds me a bit of the bit right before the worst ending of Far Cry 5. >.>

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kinda optimistic of them to suggest it'll remain a Cat 1, seeing as every sub-Cat 3 hurricane that touches the Gulf almost immediately goes up two notches in grade, at least while it's in open water.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Aug 21, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

George Carlin's "I Kinda Like it When a Lot of People Die" bit is sounding eerily like 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKVFGYcCy0

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Aug 22, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Victory Position posted:

christ, looking back at the stories, Quad Cities had 106,000 households without power :eyepop:

a quarter of the Quad Cities completely blacked out

In the 2012 Derecho, 1.6 million in MD lost power, ~1 million each in both Ohio and Virginia, 672k in WV, and ~68,000 in DC (which was ~10% of the city's inhabitants, during a 100F+ heat wave). Winds barely broke 90mph, though.

Again, they need to start calling them "Inland Hurricanes" to get people's attention.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

The thing about it is this derecho was exceptionally severe. Most have winds of 60-90 mph but this one had a measured 126 mph and 140 based off of damage estimates.

Add another unprecedented weather extreme in a warming world to the pile i guess

Oh, I'm not discounting the fact that this thing was a mid-grade EF3 a few hundred miles long. I'm just saying they might need to be renamed since I'm almost certain they'll become way more common.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Watch Laura make landfall, then make a sharp button hook over Alabama and Georgia right into the tropical storm "nursery" area that's right off Georgia and the Carolinas before regaining strength and raking the East Coast before plowing into NYC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"This isn't that bad!" :smug:

*gets torn out to sea by a huge riptide, Darwin's grave twitches in approval*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jeff might be safe from the flooding, but I really hope being on top of that parking garage doesn't flip his car. The winds during a *normal* storm even 50 feet above your head can be worse than the ones at ground level.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mrs. Sexual posted:

When do gas prices go up?

It usually takes about two weeks for an interruption in supply/refinery capacity to start affecting the price, typically first in the geographic region that's affected by the disturbance and supplied by the refineries affected, and then everywhere else by Week 3.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jeff has no shoes on. :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Keeping the windshield wipers on is cute. Pretty sure the wind is doing a better job of clearing the glass than the blades.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gotta love how humanity enabled/fostetered a second Atlantic storm nursery off the Georgia/Carolina coasts in less than 200 years of industrialization. :golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I fear any storm named Omar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seattle has more to fear from atmospheric river storms than tropical cyclones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Uh, pretty sure you could point the finger at Sandy, too. Just because it didn't have triple-digit wind speeds doesn't mean a 900 mile wide storm still isn't :stare: territory.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It better fuckin' NOT. I've got (cancellable) hotel reservations in Virginia Beach from 9/8-9/10. Gonna prop my feet up on my oceanfront hotel room balcony, enjoy the sea breeze (maybe more than I'd like), and stay the holy gently caress away from people.

High improbability aside, my guess is Pat Robertson is going to die in the next week sometime if that model holds true. He's been keeping the hurricanes away from Virginia Beach, y'know! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

9/8/2019?

Ok, listen up. I know its bad right now but its going to get a lot worse, so much worse. Go to the store and buy every single N95 mask and bottle of hand sanitizer you can fine for right now.

Ugh. Those numbers are so damned small, and I've been looking forward to getting away from DC (if only to chill beside the ocean on a balcony while 100+ feet away from people) that I didn't notice that. :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Sep 1, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TACD posted:

Going to be awkward when one of the Greek named storms is devastating enough to warrant retiring that name

Hurricane Oedipus, the first storm that can actually be called a "motherfucker."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Man Musk posted:

weathergeddon x cool zone cross-over post

https://twitch.tv/malcontentmenttango

Tacoma's on fire yo

On the plus side, the smoke might smell better than Tacoma's Aroma.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

No fires in the Great Dismal Swamp.

Really makes u think :thunk:

There have so been fires there, and they *stink*, too.

https://www.forestsandrangelands.gov/success/stories/2008/nfp_2008_va_fws_gdsnwr_firefighting.shtml

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SpudCat posted:

We'll have people too poor or stupid to leave even as the seas rise and claim them

Moving is expensive for a reason and some people don't have a choice. So while there might be stupid and stubborn people in these areas, don't disparage the ones who are there and have no choice in the matter because of their financial situation. It's the same logic that was used back with Katrina and "why didn't the people who stayed pack up their cars and leave?"

Because they didn't have cars, or if they did, they didn't have the money to afford the gas and lodging inland.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know this is going to sound premature given that it snowed in August in parts of the country, but I think with all the aerosols leeching into the atmosphere from these fires that we're looking at another "Year Without a Winter" at this point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

it likely has more to do with global warming disrupting polar wind patterns

blasts of cold in the northern US tend to come from the polar vortex weakening or becoming unstable, allowing arctic air masses to head further south than usual

Yeah, I was just prefacing my thought with the mention of snow in August/September because even here someone might fire back with "but it's already snowing how can you say there won't be a Winter? :downs:"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

That storm track is very unfortunate for flooding/storm surge around Lake Pontchartrain, hopefully it doesn't strengthen much.

"Hopefully the fire doesn't get worse as it burns its way through all those fireworks and fertilizer factories and oil refineries. Fingers crossed!" :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Log082 posted:

maryland has been matrix dodging natural disasters for years, especially hurricanes. The worst we've gotten in 2020 is some local flooding from strong rain. Will Teddy finally be the hurricane to thread up the bay and gently caress our poo poo up?

Don't worry, so long as Pat Robertson draws breath, no hurricane shall touch the Bay! :shepface:

(Seriously, he thinks it's his Divine relationship with the Lord that's kept Virginia Beach/the Chesapeake Bay from taking a hit from a major hurricane for 30+ years now, not BLIND loving LUCK)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

The amount of particulate in the air is comparable to the amount of particulate that would be produced by burning that many cigarettes.

Yet isn't it a flawed comparison simply because cigarette particulate is 'tar,' while wildfire particulate tends to turn to something resembling *cement* inside the lungs? Or is that just volcanic ash that does that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I remember reading about that. The friction of the ash against the windows also caused a pretty decent instance of St. Elmo's Fire.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 feet. However, mosquitoes are found breeding in tree holes 50 feet above ground. They are even found thriving in high rise apartment buildings.

There have been reports of cattle deaths in the wake of Laura dying of being overly drained of blood by an explosion in the *biting* kinds of mosquitoes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought that was less "vampiric mosquitos sucking things to death" and more "prey animals will literally exhaust themselves to death trying to run away from a precieved threat and clouds of mosquitos are apparently irritating enough to trigger that"

I'm sure you're right, I just saw the initial headline and thought "yeah, sure...WHY NOT."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Lol a giant hurricane sitting between west palm beach and the bahamas for 3 weeks would be on point for 2020

I love the track that just decides to turbofuck Hampton Roads, a geographic area that has done ZERO meaningful preparation for hurricanes because they've been lulled into a 30+ year false sense of security.

If anything, they've followed Houston's example and overdeveloped, robbing the area (which is a giant subsidence crater thanks to a ~3km wide asteroid paying a visit ~35.5mya) of valuable storm-surge-absorbing wetlands. Even *outside* the impact crater, the ground is glorified sand.

For those who just want more info on the asteroid, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_impact_crater

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Spangly A posted:

I think theres a ways to go for the 05 records?

31/28/15 depression/storm/hurricanes in 05 and 27/26/9 right now. Depression and storm records might fall but another six hurricanes including Epsilon seems beyond even 2020's bullshit

Not if the season extends into February because reasons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Christ, I can imagine all the Karens in Sigonella right now having a loving normal one over this.

"WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE, IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE LIKE VESUVIUS AND WE'RE GONNA BE ASHED LIKE POMPEII"

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Feb 16, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Perfectly normal this time of year! :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Chasers suck

Pecos Hank seems cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Can't wait for the first EBS warning telling people to not go outside due to "lethal" temperatures.

...and then people in that part of CA doing it anyway because "GUBBERMINT AIN'T TELLIN' ME WHAT T'DO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm sure the inevitable flight of climate refugees from California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas will be managed well and fairly by the Federal Govhahahahahahhahahahasdhjsdfhsdfjsfhsdhahhahsahahaha.

Looking forward to millions of displaced red-staters being "persuaded" to relocate into blue bastions, too.