Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robot Hobo posted:

I thought the most obvious playable fighter to add for the next Smash Bros, aside from the Inklings, would be a character from Arms. Maybe multiple, as costumes, Koopaling-style. It seemed so obvious. Nintendo makes an actual fighting game (of sorts) with wacky characters and colorful outfits, how could they not be planning on putting one of them into Smash? But they're in as assist trophy & spirits only. Honestly, that omission surprises me more than anyone who did get added to the cast.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised Spring-Man wasn't a fighter. Especially as they could've also used Ribbon Girl as an Echo Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

ARMS came out too late, but an ARMS character would've made an ideal DLC fighter. Oh well.

ARMS was an internal Nintendo project, there's a much better chance of the devs being aware of it than XC2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Just want to confirm that JBHiFi will honour this deal. You'll need a manager because the price difference is more than 35% :laffo:

After applying a gift card I now have D3 for $5 :hellyeah:

Probably need to be in NSW for them to be recognized.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never knew until recently Sakurai was really good at SF2 and fighting games in general. Apparently in a column he wrote he told Melee players "just play a real fighting game like Virtua Fighter 2" lol

Minor sidenote, but I love that they specifically made it so Ryu can be controlled with optional quarter-circle Street Fighter 2 inputs :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh and they described it to be "difficult."

Nintendo, please, no, they're only children! :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LeFishy posted:

Nah that was basically just a bullshit excuse for them to have the rmah. Levels are still generated but clientside because "your computer isn't powerful enough to do it" was an outright lie.

That argument was never going to fly, because the kind of equations running to build any randomized dungeon aren't really going to be all that fundamentally different than any random-dungeon-generator Rogue-like (or hell, Rogue) from the 80's. The real load on the system is the graphics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh all that stuff is still voodoo to me 6 years later but what I do know is that the always online crap was poo poo and led to my game crashing a couple of times. I'm glad they got rid of it

The short of it is is that what you're thinking is some big massive effort to create your fancy random dungeon as a whole Thing is mostly a set of calculated text instructions totaling about a couple MB in size. It'll read in layman terms something like;
code:
Spawn Room Template A, Grid 1,0,1, 
-Put 3x Goblin Type C at Spawn Location A,
-Put Treasure Chest Type LEGENDARY at Spawn Location C.
Over a couple hundred/thousand lines of instructions, with some sanity-checking to make sure all the entrances to the rooms line up, average enemy levels/encounter locations aren't too strong, etc. The graphics are just window-dressing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MZ posted:

I really really don't understand people who game while watching stuff on the TV in the background, my brain just can't multitask like that.

It's generally not for stuff that needs your concentration but situations like crafting or less-intense minigames like Fishing that just zen out for anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feenix posted:

Hosting a play date for my kid. On the 16th. 6 kids. I may let them take turns throwing the pokeball but, otherwise, are there any 6 player games?

Pretty sure Super Bomberman is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I love the fumbled grasping attempt at a save at the end with "Do you guys not all have phones?!", like that's the problem they have with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I was thinking that it looks like the producers of this pokemon movie must've browsed imgur galleries of "realistic" pokemon* and thought it was what people wanted

and it turns out that is literally what they did and they hired one of the guys who made them :psyboom:
https://kotaku.com/realistic-pokemon-artist-got-a-job-on-the-detective-p-1830396116

* 90% of the time literally made to look disgusting and creepy rather than realistic

This sort of thing happens more than you'd think. A lot of game designers and programmers got hired or headhunted because of their game mods and software hacks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

extremely vague leaker who I assume is full of poo poo but will get credit for this blatantly obvious "leak." I'd bet money on Kamiya going full bore with Nintendo after the Scalebound project sunk, because why not, he has a great relationship with the people at Nintendo. And they've been teasing things like a Wonderful 101 port/sequel for a while, too.

Kamiya's been teasing something Wonderful 101-related for a long while now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I think Torna explains it a lot better. I actually know what orbs are now, and why breaking them is good!

It's also a lot easier to set up Chain Combos, because you rack up to three Orbs in a single Blade Combo, regardless of elemental combination, instead of one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried to play Sonic Mania with it but it wouldn't connect at all.

That's not really surprising, it's likely got a unique device ID and inputs, rather than just being fudged as "this is totally a JoyCon, you're just never receiving inputs from some buttons :ninja:" in the same way a third-party arcade stick or gun controller might be. Any game that isn't Pokemon Let's Go simply isn't going to recognize it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

:siren::boonie::australia: ATTN: Ausgoons - Early Black Friday Switch deals of interest :australia::boonie::siren:

Super Mario Joycon Bundle
(Mario Party + Green and Pink Joycons)
- EBGames - $149 - Preorder is $50
- JB HiFi - $149 - :siren: Walk-in preorder $5 :siren:

Bundle is potentially going to be difficult to find due to 'limited edition' nature, from memory it sold out pretty quickly in the US. JB having it for a $5 instore preorder price is a good idea just to get your foot in the door, and if I find it cheaper I'll let you know so they can price match.

That is a very good bundle, considering a pair of Joycons on their own go for $120AUD :eyepop:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pity I already bought my second pair to replace the one that stopped working. (sold it at EBgames and didn't tell them about the left one's defect)

Funny that it's the Splatoon colour ones. Must not be selling.

Most people who were going to leap on Splatoon-coloured controllers probably got the Pro instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

February, I think.

Unless it's changed, it's out on January 11th in Australia (so Jan 10 for the US).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Odd Mutant posted:

Wait... There's a Valkyrie Chronicles 4... And it's on sale?!

VC4 is also actually good. Every step in the leadup to its release has been the team repeatedly saying "It's just like the original, we promise, it's not another Valkyria Chronicles 2".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

What did VC2 (and possibly 3?) do to gently caress it up?

VC2 fell down the bad anime cliche tree and hit every branch on the way down before landing on its head. The squads are also reduced to six instead of ten, there's no perma-death, and levelling units (not classes as a whole) is done via obtaining medals. Medals are earned by esoteric combat situations you will never find yourself in unless you actively force them to occur, and you'd need to do that for every individual unit.

It is an atrociously-bad game, and should be avoided at all costs.

VC3's actually not bad per-se, it's just stuck on the PSP with its limitations (six-man squads, small maps). Like VC4 it's also set at the same time as the original but on a different front of the war.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

:siren::australia::boonie: Heads up Ausgoons for the Amazon Flash Sales :boonie::australia::siren:
(Go back to these links at the respective times for CHEAP sales)

7am
- Switch /w Grey Joycons currently $389
- Switch /w Red+Blue Joycons currently $389

9am
- Pro Controller currently $80
- Mario Odyssey currently $64

5:40pm
- Kirby Star Allies currently $58

You got a schedule for all of them somewhere?

On a side-note, EB Games' big BLACK FRIDAY SUPER SALE, GET IN AT MIDNIGHT FOR DEALS hype has amounted to... a small selection of games, all priced higher than literally every other Black Friday build-up sale that's been running for the past week. It is laughably sad.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 22, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

Decent chance it goes on a steep discount early next year. Depends on how the toys do this holiday season, I guess.

There's no planned additional toys, so the answer is quite probably "right into the clearance bin with the second-hand Skylanders".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

A fair bit of characters are a bit too "risqué" looking for a kid to play, but maybe that's just me.

Xenoblade 2 is absolutely not a kid-friendly game, and not just for the female Blade designs. A lot of the story themes go dark.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely think that everything GC and later will be released separately via the eshop, but stuff up to and including the N64 will end up on the online service. No way they'll charge $20/year and add in a bunch of GC games. It'd be amazing, but I strongly doubt it.

The problem with Gamecube games is the average controller has to have analogue triggers for a general service to work, and none of the standard Nintendo ones have had them since the original GCN ones. With the adapter hitting the Switch for Smash Bros, it's possible that we might see them, but there is a buy-in factor of dropping $80AUD on an adapter and controller to consider.

For someone wanting to get several games, it's not that bad. For those that just want to play one game, it becomes a lot less appealing. Buying the adapter for Smash Bros isn't all that big a factor either, because that's a different (and very select) market being targeted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

How many important GC games take advantage of the analogue triggers?

Doesn't matter. For it to function as a service (nevermind emulation-side), it has to be a standardized all-or-nothing thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

off the top of my head, twin snakes and sunshine

F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 1&2, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Double-Dash. There's more than you think, though some just differentiate a soft/full-click press on them rather than the full sliding-scale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

gently caress it tho. Stop worrying. Put a disclaimer about buying a gcn controller before the game starts or else controls will be finnicky and then do something dumb with the extra inputs on joycons/pro like shaking the controller, or clicking the stick, or holding left bumper while using trigger activates its fully clicked mode.
Even if it sucks rear end nobody thirsting for these games but unwilling to use dolphin will complain.

No. That's just more work for an inferior end-product.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CYBEReris posted:

they should port metroid prime trilogy to switch since the fourth one is coming out

That's actually pretty viable, considering they have the Wii versions to play with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We get a remake of F Zero but it’s only chapter 7.

Woah, steady on there Satan :stonk:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

For supper Mario sunshine couldn't you have trigger be low power, z trigger be medium power, and both triggers be Max power?

Okay, now solve Luigi's mansion's variable vacuum output. Or switching between a soft and hard press on the triggers in Metroid Prime.

It's not that a game can't be fudged with alternate controls, its that you'd have to do something unique for each and every game. And a lot of them just won't play as well as a result. The only sane way to actually do GCN games is to port the game straight and use the proper controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The 2DS is cheap because it's built simply. No hinge, one big lcd panel instead of two where one is a weird 3D display, and a refined chipset. If you only plan to play some Pokemon the 2DS will serve you well.

Sounds like they want other games too, and in which case should really just fork out the extra cash for a new3DS or new2DS so they have access to the full catalogue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pokemon Snap is something that wouldn't do well as a new game.

It'd do far better as just being part of a full-blown Pokemon game, snapping photos of wild pokemon as you travel. (Hell, Sun/Moon has something pretty close to this already with the photo spots)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tadashi posted:

My nephews (8 and 10) are probably getting a Switch for Christmas. Their parents aren't really into gaming and I'm getting farther out of the loop by the day.

Any parents in the thread want to share things they found useful about dealing with kids and the Switch (other than kids wanting to murder their siblings after playing games together)? They're currently playing games on their WiiU, so their familiar with motion sensitive controllers and titles that are similar to other Nintendo systems.

Be the Cool Uncle/Aunt and get them the Super Smash Bros bundle with the special-edition Dock and JoyCons. It looks like this (don't worry so much about the non-Smash bundled titles there). That link's for EB Games Australia, but you should be able to find the same general thing in the US or wherever you are.

If you want additional titles to get them, Pokemon Let's Go and/or Mario Kart should do the trick for small kids in need of multiplayer games to share.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

wtf it is not reasonable to suggest that someone spend $500 on their nephews

I mean for starters even if they did have the money to spend on family like that, the parents might not appreciate it. I know that my sister doesn't like us going crazy buying stuff for her kids.

It sounded a lot like they just wanted some advice to help guide the parents on what's worth getting :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Big W's going to have the Super Mario Party bundle with the Splatoon joycons for all of $129AUD from tomorrow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

organburner posted:

Well poo poo.

I guess the venn diagram for anime autists and tank autists are a near circle.
Too much anime is just too much anime for me though.

You're actually not far off the mark; There's an entire sub-culture of miltary otaku in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just bring me Timesplitters HD. That's it, that's all. GOTY 2019 - 2022.

Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect would be far better than the original game :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mons Hubris posted:

Digital Katamari got pushed back to next week :(

If they were smart, they'd push both release dates back two weeks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

It's a shame that they're gonna cannibalize Smash's sales so much, but i think Smash is one of those evergreen titles, it'll make up for it with long term sales

Don't be obtuse. The only time the mid-range titles have to shine and sell well in a way that looks good in the figures is when they first release before getting buried in the shelves of Gamestops and EB Games everywhere. Releasing against the biggest game of the year is the worst thing they could do, because it means the publishers go "well, that sold like poo poo" when no-one buys it at full price and refuse to pay for new Katamari games for another decade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly no one knows. Your system will still collect telemetry about when you played the game, even if it is a legit retail copy.

No one knows what Nintendo will do with that data when you eventually put your switch back online.

I doubt Nintendo care all that much, because broken release dates happen, and it's not exactly like there's a big trend of pirates raiding shipments of games in transit just to get them a few days early.

Well except that one time with a shipment of Splatoon in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't know why this makes me want to play star allies more

Does the American version have angry eyebrows?