Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Prospect is a great movie and absolutely insane given the budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I figured plenty of people have some level of droid knowledge considering their ubiquity. Like meeting someone that knows how to use a computer today

And sometimes you need some weird gremlin to help you out with some more advanced issues

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Good Nazi uniforms: stormtroopers, Vader, Palpatine
Sus Nazi uniforms:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Did they? I thought all of the white coats had their gray coat assistant behind them?

From the first formal meeting of the ISB:

I think in some of the more informal scenes the assistants are milling about but for the official meetings of the group they are not.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

The first 2 episodes feel more like a prologue. A long prologue.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Show going to open a scene on Thrawn studying some cave paintings to understand the local neaderthals

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I watched Rebels and it's very fine.

Think of any show for young teens with a brash young special/chosen one/one-of-his-kind/etc. male character who says and does a lot of dumb poo poo while surrounded by a cast of support characters who constantly clean up the sweet special boy's messes and he hits on a far more competent female secondary protagonist in cringe ways.

There are a lot of that kind of show out there and Rebels is not even a particularly great one in the specific genre. But it's not terrible.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 23, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

So what exactly was Ahsoka teaching Sabine during their first run. I guess we're supposed to assume that training didn't involve the whole blind sword thingy despite it showing up in every Jedi training shot including children yuenglings

Ahsoka must have just peaced out on the first day lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I liked the fight on the outside of the spaceship. All she did was deflect some blasts and tear through the hull of a ship which flew close while standing on the hull, even though when I think about it, it wouldn't have flown close enough to do that.

Not to get all Tactical but it was a bit silly that she's standing on this gigantic ship that's a good 20x bigger than her and everyone just shoots at her instead of the rest of the ship. Although considering their shots were glancing off the unshielded hull, it doesn't seem like they had the firepower to take down an unmoving ship anyway.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

I think ezra will have fallen to the dark side and sabine is gonna have to fight him while ahsoka fights both those dark jedi at once.

It would explain why Thrawn is running around still

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can ask similar questions about why the Sabine character is considering becoming a Jedi. So far, she doesn't seem to actually care very much either way, and Ahsoka is like a nagging parent making her do hockey lessons. What even is a Jedi at this point?

She needs it so she can fight the bad Jedi as Ahsoka mentioned. The only thing that can beat a bad Jedi with a lightsaber is a good Jedi with a lightsaber.

(Note: Sabine already went through training to beat a Jedi using her Mando armor but I guess that's gone along with her swordfighting abilities?)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

maybealabia posted:

She forced them to listen to Hutt poetry until they spilled the beans. It took practically no time at all

Ahsoka played her the dying sounds of Dizonite children, clearly.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

As someone who watched Rebels, I'm pretty confused as to why Thrawn is supposed to matter because that show ends on him being held at gunpoint by a Jedi while restrained by a giant space whale's tentacles.

How ole Thrawn got out of that mess is sure to be one tall tale!

I'm gonna assume Ezra hosed something up because he's very dumb

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit Sabine.

Just pull the loving trigger. That's all you had to do. The gun was already pointing in his direction.

I can see why she did it, but goddamnit.

I mean, this is one of the most cliched writing tropes in the history of fiction at this point. It would be legitimately revolutionary for it to go the other way. Especially after they had Ahsoka multiple times say "now Sabine, don't you eat those cookies" to open the episode

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Re: Hera did anybody else think it was insanely hosed up she took her kid with her on this mission?

Somehow I doubt Ahsoka is going to be the show that kills a named child character.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

LinkesAuge posted:

It's overall certainly a minor thing but just such a bizarre decision. Did noone think about the implications or were all the writers in "oh isn't that totally badass and cool that her kid is with her!!!!" mode (and yes I get why they would want to shoehorn in a kid on a meta/marketing level but you have to set it up properly)?
Like what kind of fan-writing level of brainworms do you need to have to include him here. They didn't even bother to come up with an excuse so I can only assume that it didn't even cross their mind because the kid obviously has plot armor though it would be "funny" if he just died after the big baddie ship jumps, just like the other poor "Rebel" pilots that were shown.

Good job "Mother of the year" Hera.

LinkesAuge posted:

That's the meta excuse but it was still so weird and totally out of place. Also HUGE cringe at the kids "i have a bad feeling about this". That isn't "cute" or a clever reference, it's wanking yourself off and the kind of hack writing that's just annoying and even takes you out of the moment with all this meta self-referencing.

Another thing regarding the whole fight sequence/the lead up to it:

So Ahsoka and Sabine are on the ship chilling and doing nothing while their Droid repairs the ship. At this point they have zero(!) urgency to rush anywhere. There is no indication of them suddenly having to stop the antagonists.

Then the Droid gets attacked and suddenly for some reason they decide they are on a timer and act accordingly. Where did that come from? Why did the attack of the bad droids suddenly mean that they know they are on a timer in regards to the map? Nothing really changed.

Then the fight... to start off: Why couldn't Ahsoka take a few seconds or a minute to take out Shin instead of leaving her barely trained friend with her?

I also didn't understand why Ahsoka dueled the other guy instead of her, aren't we supposed to think that Shin is the bigger threat of the two? Why did they even split up in that fight? I know why the show wanted to force them into two 1v1s but there was no reason given on screen.

Besides that the fight was another case of where a "good guy" survives far longer than they should because "plot armor" or are we really supposed to think Sabine would last this long vs Shin (they even show later on how easily Shin could just use her force powers to shoke her, inconstent use of force powers and "power levels" in SW isn't new but does it really need to be this bad?).
I even think that it took Ahsoka far too long to beat her opponent if you consider the standard in regards to her power that has been established in the past and funnily enough the end of that fight perfectly showed why it should have been ended quickly. So despite the ticking time and Ahsoka not taking a single second to quickly help Sabine she is dragging out the fight or not taking it seriously enough to get rid off him fast.
It's another case of where the writing and the context go against what they want to have as "cool action" sequence so they ignore what their own story demands.

At least the fight between Ahsoka and Baylan was overall well done AND they did find a good reason/excuse for Ahsoka to lose the fight, ie she had to rush for the macguffin and that resulted in an injury which massively hampered her ability to fight. So all good there, I just wish the whole leadup to that would have made a lot more sense.
The resolution was of course very tropey in regards to how it played out with Sabine, Baylan and Shin but at this point that's still better than a lot of the other writing.

Overall this was still the best episode so far despite my complaints which just highlight that this show could be much better than it is and a big reason why this episode worked is mainly down to things happening and the promise it holds for the next eps.

Well, Ahsoka (Feloni) could always use the whole"Jedi heaven/time travel dimension" thing as excuse to retcon the "future" but I don't think they will go that far though I also wish they would because all the new movies just wasted any potential for that timeframe.

I think you just need to accept that this show is largely operating on Saturday morning children's cartoon logic. While I'm sure plenty of posters will try to come up with bizarre in-universe explanations for why a character did a thing, it's largely just that this is the show the creators are making. The meta text is the text. Named children are not going to die ergo bringing them along just makes sense. Of course Sabine isn't going to destroy the orb. Of course it takes Ahsoka some time to beat some random gas man despite being one of the greatest living warriors at this point in time. And of course she has trouble with some random middle-aged guy. Of course Sabine can suddenly hold her own against a trained Jedi after like 2 days of training.

I'm going to keep poking fun at the stupidity of a lot of it but I wouldn't get this worked up over it because I can assure you, it's going to get way way dumber before the end.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why wouldn't Sabine be able to hold her own against an apprentice fallen Jedi? We've seen plenty of non-force users hold their own for a while against actual Jedi (Jango, to name one) and Sabine has previous on and off-screen lightsaber training. And she loses.

My comment about Sabine holding her own is largely based on the previous episode showing her having regressed to the point she needs to do Saber Training 101 with the child padawan training droid or whatever he is. You could argue that Sabine at the end of Rebels + some training over the past several years would be competent enough but the show directly points out that this didn't happen.

The show largely seems to operate at the level that characters in fights are mostly equal so they last more than 5-10 seconds despite the fact that LoGiCaLlY Ahsoka should be wiping the floor with most characters on-screen and the millenia old Jedi training droid should probably be able to easily beat the rando lovely mass-market droid that ambushes him. I personally would have just had him pull out a couple robo-swords or something and shishkabob the robot instantly in a cartoonish fashion like a Looney Tunes episode but what do I know :shrug: . I never saw the show he's from so his characterization to me is entirely based on this show and it's all over the place.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 6, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

G-III posted:

I'm still confused as to what the bad Jedi are after. "One must destroy in order to create" is dumb tropey dialogue that doesn't mean anything.

Outside of being useful tools for a new empire led by Thrawn their motivations for being involved aren't clear to me.

Wait until episode 7. His dialogue with Ahsoka in this episode was just meant to tickle your balls JJ-style.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Giant Tourtiere posted:

I think they're doing ok with this honestly; you do have to realize that this is a bang-zoom adventure story at some point and that stuff needs to happen and sometimes they just want a neat looking scene. Like, yeah arguably maybe Ahsoka should have just cleaved the Inquisitor (and man am I glad that there was not some stupid-rear end omg twist look who is under the mask!!) in half in 2 seconds but that just doesn't make for a very exciting watch.

Two of the most famous fictional samurai duels on video last like 2 seconds each! And are way more badass than anything on this show so far!

poo poo, they even had a visual of the character's... innards... flying out of him!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Notably, these folks are (in keeping with filoni's love of wolves) named after the children of Fenrir that chase the sun and moon across the sky and will devour them during Ragnarok. And given that Ragnarok is both the destruction of the old order and the creation of a new one, that fits.

in a shocking change of pace, i'm annoyed that we have a star wars show that isn't about the dipshits with lightsabers, because these guys are way more interesting than thrawn

I dunno, there's something funny about 2 lightsaber fallen monks, a witch, and a gas ghost building a giant super hyperdrive all to find a guy whose claim to fame is that he's a bit smarter than your average fascist dumbass that ran the Empire and had such great ideas as "let's build mechanical planets with freakin giant laser beams attached to them"

Star Wars.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

maybealabia posted:

I think it's fair to say that Thrawn was probably much smarter than other empire leadership and was only short-sighted about the degree to which other goddamn admirals would massively gently caress up

That and not understanding the force and very much discounting it as a weird weapon

And I think it's safe to say he's learned from both of those situations

If you've never heard of him before he's just a macguffin though, could be a holocron or whatever, but you know he's important because all the characters without exception think he is

He woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids and their pesky droid!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Hazo posted:

:colbert:

No but really it was awesome to see him just pummeling the absolute poo poo out of those HK droids. I'm sure somebody's complained about Huyang being overpowered, but it makes sense that he wouldn't have survived thousands of years without being willing and able to whoop rear end when the time comes.

When did this happen? All I remember is 1 ambushing him and then Sabine shooting it in the back and it falling on him and knocking him down.

It was actually very bizarre to me why this ancient Jedi training droid is so crappy at fighting.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

They're setting up the inevitable betrayal where shin kills baylen.

Are they? I can barely tell what their relationship is since they don't ever really talk to each other beyond what is minimally necessary to advance the plot.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I think a big problem about modern star wars is that it often isn't about anything. Like there aren't really clear themes or a message or topic its addressing. The show is simply about "more star wars". The themes included are "what if more star wars". The show really gives you a lot of ideas to chew on, like "what if fight, but more jetpacks?" or "what if superweapon, but bigger???"

Andor was absolutely about many things, and it had a lot to say about those things. It's why still you're getting people churning out multi-hour video essays on it and having interesting things to say. But most of modern star wars really doesn't seem to have anything to say other than the very surface level reading of the plot. What the show is "about" is that the hero needs to get from A to B to stop X, and along the way there's a cool fight. Then there's another cool fight. Then there's a space battle. Then it turns out there's a very telegraphed twist, but the hero quickly solves it within the same episode via fighting. Then there's a very big fight and the series is over. Until next season of course, which there will be more plots involving moving from one set piece fight to the next.

If pressed on questions of theme or message it will always be some nebulous nothing about "family" or "standing up to fight for what's right" and even then the series won't actually have anything consistent or interesting to say on those topics. So to me anyways, they often end up feeling like a boring slog. The most exciting action scene just doesn't mean anything if it's not part of an overall plot that is about something. They become video games where the action exists simply to be an action scene rather than being a key part of the plot.

Yeah I agree with most of this except I find even the action scenes to often be boring. They remind me a lot of MCU movies where it's just a generic CGI fest with no stakes or drama, unremarkable cinematography, and serviceable-at-best choreography. Mandalorian had some interesting stuff early on but even that just turned into an endless swarm of flying CGI dudes. Lightsaber duels are boring as poo poo. Bring back the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy version. Characters should either be giving speeches or doing twirls and spins and poo poo.

GarudaPrime posted:

As a counterpoint to this, "Tales of the Jedi" were all written and directed by him, and with the exception of maybe the first episode are all legit bangers. Just peak Feloni verse artworks.

Anyone who is at all a fan of clone wars NEEDS to watch totJ. I didn't bother until someone really told me to in no uncertain terms. Let me be that someone for anyone who hasn't bothered to yet.

That's surprising tbh. I found that show way better than anything in Rebels or Ahsoka so far. It was pretty good although very short.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I thought the light saber fight between Ahsoka and Pullo was cool :smith:

It's definitely one of the better ones for me but that's because Pullo's style is completely different than anyone else in the modern era. It stands out because of how boringly generic everyone else is!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I love the Moopsy

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

It's a bit weird because her character from Rebels was brash but pretty competent (maybe a bit too competent at times but overshadowed by Special Boy Ezra) but apparently she forgot all her Weapon Proficiency in the missing years.

She's basically become the Zeb of the group lol

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I thought it was fine. I rolled my eyes when the episode started and Anakin started going off about teaching because I assumed it would be more meaningless lightsaber fighting (and then he pulled out a lightsaber - blue version) but then the show itself seems to subvert the idea that all Jedi are about is fighting? Bit of an odd message considering how much this show relies on constant lightsaber duels though.

I liked the visuals and I expected the space whales to be used about now but it was a nice scene regardless.

Kinda funny they spent basically a minute playing audio of a scene we watched last week but I suppose that might be the best summation of Ahsoka season 1.

Also they've already announced there's some capstone movie tying up the Mandalorian-era shows and Thrawn is mentioned so he's likely going to get resolved there (with maybe a clone Gideon appearance?) with Ahsoka largely just setting him up.

I was surprised they left Hera and Chopper behind considering they're part of the core Rebels group but I guess it's the Ahsoka show. Seems like a shame though.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where did Admiral Ackbar go? Why does Hera, a general?, have command of his flagship? Why are senators micro managing the navy? Why is the fat xwing guy afraid of some random ship captain? Is she going to relieve Hera of command? Why do Bib Fortunas and rancor snack girls head tentacles from 1984 look 10x better than the ones in this show? Why does none of this poo poo make any goddamn sense?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/B0zW62Zw/Oxk3MH.mp4?1544941508509

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Half this thread saying to themselves "so it's not just me that noticed"

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

So far, if anything, the Clone Wars show seems more important to understanding what's going on in Ahsoka. 2 of the 3 main characters are in it while Ahsoka is barely in Rebels.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

If you didn't watch the Fortnite event, you have only yourself to blame. It was clearly advertised.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I blame JJ

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Aces High posted:

Don't be mean to Mr. Kim

Well, maybe a little...

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

People expect things to be in order going in, the whole universe it set that way, you throw an anthology style in and it frustrates some people. But at the risk of beating a dead horse over and over.
It's about giving people a choice.

What? Star Wars, known for starting on episode 4 and releasing episode 1 like 30 years later.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I liked this episode more than the previous ones but also we're in the back half of the season now and it feels like the show is still setting things up. Given the talk about a wrapup movie for these recent shows I could see Thrawn sticking around unresolved until then. Maybe they'll just repeat the Rebels ending and have him mysteriously teleport away for no reason!

I like the lil turtle hobbits and the wolf dog hyena

It's gonna suck when Ezra and Sabine kiss

That dude absolutely looks like Elon, RIP that he didn't get the Mads facial genes

Dr.Radical posted:

For a second I thought this was a SMG post but then I realized it wasn’t long enough

SMGs posts are good while this dude's posts are kinda creepy

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Probably something thrawn "found"

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I'm sure he'll look off into the distance, quietly.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

some kinda jackal posted:

Show is good but it feels like basically 70% combat interspersed with little splurts of plot. Which is fine, I guess it's advancing the plot but I'm basically just checking my email or refreshing the news for two minutes at a time repeatedly while we get firefights.

The show seems to consider conversation anathema unless it's [insert Thrawn fluffing scene].

One of the scenes that sticks in my mind from Mando s1 is when he comes across some Tuskens in the desert and talks/negotiates with them. And that was the show about a baby yoda!

This show can barely go 2 minutes without someone shooting something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Force sensitivity’ is just a sort of bioelectric field, generated by alien microbes, that can be influenced through concentration.

Dividing these actions into ‘light’ and ‘dark’ is like drawing an arbitrary line between types of running, or swimming. Like you’re climbing a mountain with your evil muscles, or something.

What we’re shown in the films is that this distinction by the Jedi has nothing to with which powers you use. So, for example, Yoda and Windu plot to assassinate Chancellor Palpatine and install ‘temporary’ Jedi rule over the Galaxy. Yoda admits that’s a ‘dark’ idea, but goes along with it anyways - for “the greater good”. At that point, it doesn’t matter if Yoda shoots electricity or not. It’s sinful regardless.

I choose to believe there are good and evil midichlorians.