Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

David D. Davidson posted:

John Ostrander is on there too. However the cheapskate only gave twenty.

To be fair, last I heard he had a myriad of health problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Haha, wow. I love when these guys do something outrageously awful and think they are going to pull out some genius legal argument.

Also hilarious how bad he hates Scalzi, and probably moreso now that Scalzi just ignores him.

A story I like is in the mid-2000s, a small film company announced they were going to make new "Evil Dead" films. They claimed that since Sam Raimi said he wasn't going to make anymore Evil Dead films, that meant he relinquished all rights to the Evil Dead copyright.

Sam then slapped them with a lawsuit, which they claimed wasn't fair since they couldn't afford lawyers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hadji murad posted:

So was it DC who was doing that then?

Endless Mike posted:

God, I wouldn't have remotely blamed him for taking the offer given how much they jerked him around on that F4 run, but that's cool of him.

E: It would have had to have been DC. As far as I'm aware, only Marvel, DC, and maybe Dark Horse would have been offering exclusives, and there's no way in hell Dark Horse was offering anything competitive with Marvel.

Probably CrossGen

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I like that they genuinely and unironically think that anyone is going to believe that Captain Marvel features the protagonist committing blatant hate crimes for no reason.

The one about the billboard can't be serious, right? They're mocking the other posters?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I hadn't even considered that stupid DC fans would get in on this vilifying of the Captain Marvel movie just because it threatens Wonder Woman's status as Only Successful Female Superhero Film. That is really pathetic.

poo poo, I remember when Wonder Woman came out DC fans were threatened because it was proving more popular than BvS. It got to the point where I was seeing things like:

1) It's only popular because Zack Snyder was the one to cast Gadot.
2) It's only popular because Zack Snyder actually wrote the script (which he didn't, he only had a "story by" credit)
3) It's only popular because Zack Snyder secretly directed all the action sequences (because Jenkins, as a woman, couldn't possibly be able to direct action)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I detest Melissa McCarthy. So GN16 was a no go for me.

I detest her and Wiig, and yet, enjoyed both of them in G16.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

It's Isabella Rossellini isn't it? Ross is missing out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tsEnGLKE4

She loves her Arby's Big Beef and Cheddar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve31XhpaPRU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Want some fun? Go over to Don Cheadle's Twitter and look at the people trying to get him to admit that he and the other Avengers actors hate Brie Larson.

https://twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1120135133300813824

https://twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1120108059509100544

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Meanwhile, back on Don Cheadle's twitter:

https://twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1123404770281050112

#BodyLanguage

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vandar posted:

It's not a joke. Unfortunately. :negative:

If someone was doing a joke, I doubt they would've said "Wakanda apechant".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just a reminder that Disney owns Marvel and Warner Bros owns DC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

And they never explained why the various robots were on that satellite when last we saw, Tom and Crow were living on Earth with Mike Nelson.

Apparently the live shows covered that.

Tom made a series of really bad investments, and ended up having to move back to the SoL.
Then, after being explicitly warned not to, Crow went ahead and made the exact same investments.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Remember how mad they got when Leia used Force powers in The Last Jedi? Imagine what the reaction would've been if the internet had been around in '83 when her being Luke's sister was revealed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Madkal posted:

Alien/Aliens is always wanna of those films I wonder about when I think "how would this be received if it is was released now".

After Terminator 1 and Aliens, poor Michael Biehn would've been a poster boy for those idiots.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

So have you ever thought that shoveling your legal tender with a white man in the center into the fireplace was just TOO productive? My goons, have I got a deal for you.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1134923606096580608

She wasn't around comics in the 90s, was she?

20 bucks for a variant cover was the norm back then.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also, the "WWJD? Light them on fire and send them to hell" is a Daniel Tosh joke. So I'm surprised they're not adding copyright infringement.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Has anyone pointed out to him that in all the films, Jason gets beaten by a girl?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Holy hell, that "Terrific" account is some lunacy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I liked this comment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Even then there's some major asterisks involved;

Cerebus went 300 issues that were written, drawn, and published by Dave Sim. Gerhard did backgrounds and received partial ownership of the book for his work, ownership he eventually sold back to Sim after whatever Dave Sim Breakdown stage caused them to have a falling out.

But the fact is that all 300 issues were created and owned by the same creator(s) who shared ownership.

Spawn is about to have its 301st issue, but the vast majority of those have been written and drawn by people other than Todd McFarlane, the owner of Spawn. The majority of the creative energy put into these 301 comics was work for hire.

Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon meanwhile is "only" at 246 issues, but every one of them has been written and drawn by Erik Larsen.

If you just count the number of issues versus the "issue number" Stan Sakai has written and drawn at least 200 issues of Usagi Yojimbo, probably more like 250+. It's a lot more issues than Todd McFarlane wrote/drew of Spawn, at any rate, and probably more than Larsen on Savage Dragon, but they're not consecutively numbered so no one looks at it in these horse races.

And again if you're ignoring the whole "the creator owned book should be written and drawn by the creator, otherwise it's still basically work for hire", John Goldwater co-created Archie Andrews and the rest of the Riverdale crew and Goldwater was the owner/co-owner of Archie Comics until his death in 1999, so there's like a thousand issues of Archie/Jughead/Betty & Veronica published as a "creator owned" title.

Hellboy/BPRD/etc. has to be over 300 issues by now too, and Mignola owns that. There were probably at least 500 issues of various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics published while Eastman and Laird were still owners.

Todd McFarlane's record is really just "most consecutively numbered issues of a superhero comic book where the property is owned by the creator"

And Groo has had about 200 issues over the years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And hair dresser Mark Braid

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't think we're gonna top that one.

*bows*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

https://twitter.com/Joshua_Luna/status/1203078403353694208?s=20

Yooooo gently caress Jonathan Luna. Bad enough to do this kind of poo poo to a business partner, but to your younger brother? Scum.

drat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

site posted:

sure hoping the topic in question isnt rape

Beard care.

Alan has a lot of STRONG opinions about it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hostile V posted:

I just astrally projected into Hell and came back with parts of my soul missing and replaced with new and strange things at the notion of a licensed 1990s Far Side movie.

There was one or two prime time animated Far Side specials back in the day.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1247934127220895745?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/mplacko/status/1278349990507671552?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1289438896535740417?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I know no one here's doing it, but I hate when people lump in Tim Bradstreet as a defense for Land's thievery. Bradstreet actually hires the people and takes his own photos of the stuff he's going to be drawing later.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

No idea.

More goodies

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1305928039612678148?s=20

3 year non compete clause? gently caress me, I've never heard of an exclusive contract also including a non compete clause at all in comics, and even poo poo like when Conan left the Tonight Show he was only barred from tv for like 6 months and that was almost certainly part of a large enough cash settlement he could pay his staff while still being a rich rear end motherfucker.

Dude must be taking his cues from Vince McMahon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That whole Twitter is insane.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I just don't get why people get so upset when people don't like some movie that they like. Get over it and move on. I don't lose my poo poo when I see an article saying Star Trek V is the worst Trek film, even though I enjoy the hell out of it, and it's been 30 years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

my experience is that, for a long time leading up to the Snyder Cut stuff (and somewhat still nowadays, but not quite as bad), people who don't like Snyder were incredibly loving aggro towards people who do. like, they didn't want to just call the movies bad and be done with it, there was a lot of insane circlejerking about how if you like the movies that clearly means you're a secret Ayn Rand-loving Nazi and poo poo like that.

like, for a comparison, i also stan Alita: Battle Angel pretty hard (and, at the end of the day, for similar reasons: because it was a non-Disney blockbuster that actually tried to do something new instead of being extruded movie product). but... I don't end up getting into constant slapfights about Alita, because the people who don't like that movie are perfectly fine just going "meh, wasn't my bag," moving on, and not letting it live rent-free in their head. I was actually worried it might be a similar situation for a while because chuds tried to position it as the right-wing alternative to Captain Marvel, but then they realized it was not actually a right-wing movie at all and shut up about it, so that never happened, thank God, and people who don't like that movie are capable of being chill and civil about it.

meanwhile, with Snyder, there's very, very few people i encounter who just... kinda don't like his DC stuff, and a lot who think he's some kind of actively horrible human that only other horrible humans would like, and that me liking him means I'm a Nazi incel who personally elected Trump.

I been called all sorts of names/been insulted in all sorts of ways for not liking Snyder films. :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I do have to laugh that one defense of his films that I saw (and it might have even been in CD, though I can't be sure) was "If that [shot/decision] was what the director intended, then it can't be criticized."

I mean, that's some :psyduck: level thinking there. By that logic, then no movie could be criticized unless the director came out and said "I made a mistake."

But, moving on

https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1314057942170136576?s=20

I can't decipher what this is trying to say?

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 9, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/CobraCommander/status/1300468828367921155?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

site posted:

Stolen valor :911:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, we're going to get fancy and slip accents in all Claremont-like are we? Well on top of that, one night Cap'n Kate treats the crew to a drunken display of the Superbowl Shuffle before passing out on the deck.

(I'll stop with the Chicago jokes now unless I think of more)

No matter where she goes in space, all she can talk about is how awesome Chicago is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Twitter won't let me read threads or comments without logging in anymore. Used to happen occasionally but now it's on everything. What a garbage platform

This is me, but with Facebook.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was also the story about Marc yelling at his employees to get back to work when they were all glued to the TV ... on Sept 11, 2001. Apparently, he didn't see what the big deal was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Does Lee have anything to do with Image? I thought he was long gone when he sold his studio to DC?