Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This uniform chat is amazing. Feel free to continue this as long as you guys like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

imo, when I saw those uniforms I did not at all think "SS/Nazis" in spite of the similarities you mentioned. Maybe it's the hats.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, think the 70s. Iceland shot at people a few times.

I was in Iceland recently, and Icelanders are very proud they stood up to England and won. One of our guides spent an hour or so talking about it at a bar.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

this is juuuuuuuuuuuust about the latest piece of weaponry i can get my head around on an emotional level.
once the guns start looking like typewriters on the inside my eyes slide right off

Can we have a couple pages of everyone's favorite most complicated piece of weaponry?

When someone explained in a video how an AN-94 works my eyes sort of glazed over:

There are less parts than I imagined, but the whole piece of cable and offset magazine have always blown my mind.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tell me you don't want to see the Iowa nickled from bow to stern.

:getin:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Don Gato posted:

That isn't even a competition, have you ever seen what a ship looks like if you don't keep the Marines busy? When they're not breaking the ship they're breaking each other.

To be fair, if you don't keep sailors busy they also tend to break each other.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And the US has shamefully diluted its pure saxon blood and is irredeemable.

He's completely right just not for the reason stated

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

feedmegin posted:

It got the last thread closed, dude

Pretty much this. I also suggest everyone move on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Are there any USN garbage trows?

I was going to say some kind of SIGNIT Spy boat but I don't know what those look like. Maybe a spy boat disguised as a garbage trow? Kind of like how the Russians used nondescript merchant ships so spy on the entrances of US ports during the cold war?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Go back in time to 1937 or so, telling BuOrd that the Mk 14 generally, and the Mk 6 exploder specifically were complete poo poo.

They would nod their heads and smile, wait for you to leave and then do nothing about it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I think an addendum needs to be added to this time travel experiment: The person/people you're warning is going to 100% believe you. Otherwise most of us are going to be ignored, arrested, or shot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Ryan not only has an extrajudicial execution, it straight up plays it as the correct decision.

I don't think this was the point at all the movie was trying to make when Opum kills the "Mickey Mouse" German guy

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Haha, didn't know that. I can hardly wait to see an attack on the Japanese flattops to look like a run on the death star

For the US Torpedo pilots, it basically was this.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Libluini posted:

I think that link is broken, Wikipedia tells me that article doesn't exist

It's formatting a dash for the url

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-Soviet_Credit_Agreement_(1939)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

If the bad place here has taught me anything, its that is perfectly OK to be a dick.

:rolleyes:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Didn't Gene Fluckey basically strap a rocket launcher to the USS Barb and then proceed to do not-insignificant damage to minor coastal Japanese military installations in the Sea of Okhotsk?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I think I know the answer to this already (no loving way basically) but what is the policy of the modern US Army on usage of personal weapons? I ask because I recall stories at least up to WW2 where guys would get guns in the mail and use them. Was there a point at which there was a hard stop?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean asking about the authenticity of specific aspects of those uniforms is about like inquiring if the fifteen missiles and :krad: laser i drew on the f16/a10 hybrid in my 4th grade trapper keeper is an authorized NATO loadout.

Honestly I would have gotten an A in robot drawing

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Siivola posted:

You can actually be bigoted against white people, just ask any European about their neighbours.

Or the Japanese about anyone not Japanese.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

so bandits are huge nerds?

Got it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Super Tomcat

Or...

MIG

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

My son's full name is Stratofortress but we just call him BUFF

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like this thread would appreciate this video. Slow motion footage of a Sherman firing where you can see the shockwave in the air, and the...uh...artillery deflective properties of watermelons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

I had no idea tank rounds could wobble like that. I mean it makes sense, but I figure at such short ranges it would have much more stable flight.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mazz posted:

That 76mm is rifled, it’s likely just not in the best of shape being the one of last ones that can shoot in existence.

What would it take to get a new barrel for a 76mm Sherman? I assume it'd be ungodly expensive and not at all worth it for how often its fired and the guy who owns it doesn't exactly need to worry about the German army rolling through. But I'm just curious. Is the tooling particularly specialized in this case?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Alright here's a goofy rear end question for a Friday morning: On TNG, William T. Riker repeatedly turns down promotions and his own command to stay as XO on the Enterprise. Now obviously I know that this is because they aren't going to write a popular character off of a TV show in order to maintain fidelity to modern naval promotion protocols, but what would happen if an irl XO kept doing this? Do officers have that much say regarding their posting? In TNG world it's even more ridiculous after the Borg poo poo goes down, since Riker commanded the ship that basically saved the whole universe and would probably be eligible for the highest decoration possible. Combined with the sudden needs in command level positions following the Wolf 359 debacle, there's no way an irl navy would let a decorated and supremely competent senior officer remain second-in-command right? There's probably no conceivable analog you could make with the modern USN, but getting as close as you could, what would happen to a real life navy officer who acted like Riker?

I feel like it's kind of like Gene Fluckey when he, very politely, turned down the MoH initially. He got dragged into some top guy's office and told "hey dude this is happening, just accept it."

Also I think Riker eventually became an admiral did he not? My level of Star Trek knowledge is poor at best but he had a cameo in Voyager and I think he was promoted.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

It can go both ways. Day to day I want to be a lazy slob. If I could go to work in a bathrobe I would.

:hfive:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s probably a good thing I never landed a job in academia. I would have worn my doctoral wizard robes all day every day.

I work in the tech industry and the best day of my life was finding a job that let me wear jeans and a hoodie every day to work as opposed to nice pants, button downs and polos.

Sweat pants and sandals is a bridge too far though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

You'd be grim too if you had to tell Lord Vader that you lost the Millennium Falcon in the asteroid field

:laffo:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

the family that slays nazis together

Edited slightly

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

if you go to that guy's personal site

Why would you do this to yourself?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

The 'stasche was one of Hitler's few good decisions, because he ensured that terrible style of mustache would be out of solidly style for the next couple of hundred years. forever.

Fixed that for you.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cessna posted:

The heady smell of "maneuver manure warfare" hung in the air in those days.

:discourse:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Uhhhh

quote:

The safety switches had been switched off in the early hours to test the turbine but the reactor overheated and generated a blast the equivalent of 500 nuclear bombs

This doesn't seem right. I can only assume their talking about the radiation leak, i.e. that the radiation given out was equivalent to 500 bombs? I don't know what to make of this sentence.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

quote:

water from a pond or a butt

Milhist Thread Part the IVth: water from a pond or a butt

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The only thing I've taken away from seeing the occasional DI video on youtube is I have no loving idea how those guys have voices after like day 2. Does the voice just get used to that kind of stress after a while?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cessna posted:

Pointless? Sure, maybe. But at the same time sending untrained people to war has been proven to have really bad results.

And, "mold you into a new person?" Don't believe it. They're teaching you how to do a job, not rearranging your personality.

They also always say that they are trying to introduce the stress of combat into every day training. Is there any truth in that? Basically - are guys who are yelled at all the time during training better suited for situations where actual bullets are flying overhead and explosions going off in the vicinity?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

14 mile round trip hike at minimum to get to the river and back (without stopping at Phantom), and that's taking the steepest trail that doesn't have any sources of water.

and then there's the people who take the slightly longer, less steep trail down that does have sources of fresh water... and then take the steeper trail with no water up.

Frankly it's a miracle more people don't die here.

I did North Kaibab to Bright Angel with an overnight at Phantom a few years ago with some family. The amount of planning that went into the hike was considerable. We woke up early and started hiking in the dark so that we could be through The Box before 3pm when it would be dangerously hot. We all carried our own water. Drank often. And filled at almost every opportunity. Also had lots of snacks. Honestly I'm impressed my mom and aunt were able to plan all of it and manage to herd a dozenish people through the hike. No injuries, but one member did get tired and could no longer carry their pack.

The worst part was going up the switchbacks on Bright Angel. I had two massive blisters, one on each heel and it was pretty agonizing. The entire hike was amazing but it's one of those things I'll probably never do again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Russia is mad about Chernobyl

I believe this is actually the second time they'd be making that movie.

Ah, so Russian is mad about a TV show that accuses the Soviets of trying to cover up the actual cause of the accident so they will make a TV show that covers up the cause of the accident. Makes sense.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Speaking of Rickover I've always loved that story about his intense officer selection process where he had a candidate come in for an interview and told the guy to "piss me off". So the guy swept everything off Rickover's desk. He made it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

zoux posted:

This thread may not be to the letter of the thread, but certainly in the spirit of it
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1138514058594914307

Go on...