Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:auspol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ExecuDork posted:

I'll be moving to Armidale, NSW, for a job at UNE soon and I thought I'd try to figure out what I'm getting into. I'm Canadian.

Question: is Barnaby Joyce the absolute worst MP, or does he have significant competition for that title?

I looked at his page on theyvoteforyou.org.au (thanks to whoever linked that) and... just... ugh.

Follow up question: how dimly do Australians view filthy foreigners like myself expressing political opinions regarding Australian elected officials?
He's bad but not the worst, he's just ignorant as opposed to hateful

You're Canadian so you'd probably have a chance of talking some sense into people, if you were American you'd be out of luck

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Feels weird that we all had to admit that Barnaby isn't the worst

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can't wait for the improved powers of the police state

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ScoMo is a really embarrassing dad who seems nice but if you know him you know he actually has bad intentions

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

incredible flesh posted:

over the past few months it has become clear to me that the population of this thread is actually the enemy, and you will all just sit there quite contentedly as the narrative moves from smearing muslims to africans to indians and chinese all the way to the jews and then you'll just bicker peacefully among yourselves about pointless minutiae and semantics as we're all driven off to the camps
jfc

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
having a victim complex and hating everyone won’t help anyone

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the whole African gang thing sounds like it’s just a bunch of assumptions based on numbers (crime rates/population) instead of actual real evidence that sudanese boys are committing crimes

it’s like racially assumed criminal activity

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but i thought dead men tell no tales

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AgentF posted:

I'm in Sydney CBD for only today. Just checked out Madam Tussauds. What are other cool things worth checking out?
The road out of Sydney

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

If only they'd gotten or stayed married, these poor women could have avoided the problem and been the cared for by a husband homemakers they're meant to be
She could just transfer to Austudy and they'll leave her alone (assuming she is full time)

Centrelink is cooked tho and they always find ways to gently caress people over

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

I unironically think Bill Shorten is a pretty funny guy. He actually cracks a lot of good jokes, he is a cheeky lil poo poo but the media doesn't really give it screen time.
i unironically like his zingers...haha

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dabbing Shorten was legit hilarious

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is that when we start getting results?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Put a 90% tax on meat

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

froglet posted:

No jokes they suggest putting a 110% tax on the stuff in Australia.
that sounds fine to me

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can’t afford red meat at it’s current prices anyway

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

froglet posted:

Out of curiousity, are you a vegetarian?

As someone who mostly cooks vegetarian these days an additional tax doesn't bother me personally too much. However, I already know it'd be yet another thing of The Culture Wars, with people getting bent out of shape about how "unAustralian" it is, and suddenly everyone bandying about the story of the impoverished pensioner who can't afford their nice Sunday dinner.

Edit: Plus the already existing and very real issue of food insecurity amongst the poor.
No, I just can't afford meat most of the time (when someone isn't paying for hello fresh for me)

You Am I posted:

Yes, and let's make the diets of the poor or not well off worse with putting a massive tax on a regularly consumed food product.
most of the poor or not well off don't eat meat, or probably shouldn't be spending money on sub-par meat

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Ah yes, the fiscaltarian.
lmao

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
meat is murder, it shouldn't come cheap or be a treat tbh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

:thunk:

Ah, now I get it.

Just because I don't like something, everyone else has to. Good job Herr Diktator
No I like it, meat is tasty

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gentleman Baller posted:

I kind of feel like, morally, ethically, environmentally and practically, people who eat meat (myself included) should be forced to pay the true cost of producing it. Sorry, poor people (myself included)
I agree

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...y-a8378631.html

So unless you are willing to commit to vegetarianism please allow others to scoff at any commitment you express towards reducing global emissions. This is the single biggest thing you as an individual can probably do. All the other benefits (reduced area required for agriculture means less forest removal etc.) are a happy by product.

You can not eat meat and claim to be environmentally aware. The two positions are completely incompatible.
hey a cartoon post I like

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think the arguments given by both sides re: meat eating and capitalism were both good and have valid points

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like the veggie pizza with cheese filled crust

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want to watch q&a but also don’t because i know its going to be a let down

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

So I didn't watch Q&A because I was busy doing important internet stuff like falling asleep in my chair.

Is it worth iViewing?
nope

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

this loving country sucks

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mostly the white people in it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My Health Record's privacy chief quits amid claims agency 'not listening'

quote:

The director of privacy at the agency behind My Health Record has quit amid claims the organisation and Health Minister Greg Hunt's office have not been taking the concerns of internal privacy experts seriously enough.

The resignation of the Australian Digital Health Agency’s director of privacy, Nicole Hunt, last month comes at a crucial time for the agency, which has faced criticism over its security and privacy policies, as it prepares to automatically enrol all Australians into having the online digital health file unless they opt out by November 15.

Ms Hunt has worked in roles across federal and state governments, including at the NBN, NSW Police, and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. The ADHA refused to confirm the resignation despite Ms Hunt's LinkedIn profile showing she now works in privacy at ANZ Bank.

Ms Hunt declined to comment for this story.

It is further understood that from December only one existing, dedicated privacy staff member will remain at the organisation, with one leaving the business to move overseas and another going on 12 months leave. At its peak, the privacy team consisted of four people.

“The agency as a practice does not comment publicly on staffing matters,” an ADHA spokesperson said. “The agency has an experienced and well-resourced privacy team."

Asked if ADHA would replace Ms Hunt, the spokesperson said it had restructured its privacy team to report to another director.
Tim Kelsey (centre), head the Australian Digital Health Agency, which is rolling out My Health Record.

Tim Kelsey (centre), head the Australian Digital Health Agency, which is rolling out My Health Record.Credit:ADHA

“The agency … has recently announced an internal restructure ... to ensure the agency is the right size and shape beyond the opt-out program," they said.

"These changes have not significantly changed the staffing profile or resourcing of our privacy team, but has brought the policy and privacy functions under one director position."

ADHA declined to state which director the privacy team would now report to, saying: "The agency has nothing further to add."

Two sources close to Ms Hunt confirmed that she had left the business out of frustration that privacy and security concerns her team had raised with senior management were often ignored.

“ADHA's privacy staff are very disillusioned that their advice and that of external privacy experts has not been listened to,” one source said, adding that there was a pattern of “not listening” at senior levels at ADHA and within Health Minister Greg Hunt's office, and that concerns were treated simply as management or public relations issues.

Said a second source: “I don’t think you are on the wrong track with the 'not listening'. They are hearing, they are listening to something, but they are reconfiguring it into another conversation; and it is not the conversation the Australian public want to have."

Anna Johnston, director of privacy consultancy Salinger Privacy and a former NSW deputy privacy commissioner, said the resignation and claims of not listening were not a good look, nor was consolidating the role of privacy director with another director with other responsibilities.

“No longer having a director leading a separate privacy team outside of the broader policy area suggests to me that ADHA does not properly value the critical judgment and expertise that an independent chief privacy officer can bring to an organisation,” Ms Johnston said.

Following publication of the news of Ms Hunt's resignation on Friday, Labor's shadow health spokeswoman Catherine King said it was "extremely concerning" and showed "why we need a Privacy Commissioner review of the My Health Record".

About 17 million Australians will be automatically enrolled in the My Health record if they do not opt-out by next Thursday, despite lingering significant privacy concerns.

On Tuesday, Health Minister Hunt unveiled long-awaited changes to the government's My Health Record legislation to address privacy concerns, protect young people and domestic violence victims.

Separate legislation that would enshrine a patient's right to permanently delete their record, and ensure that police may only access a person's medical history with a court order, is yet to pass Parliament but politicians will not get a chance to debate the bill before the opt-out deadline.

A Senate inquiry into the rollout of the e-health system last month recommended that the opt-out period be extended by 12 months, but the extension was refused.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/te...C9GsOGF_zvZFHRk

Hope you've opted out

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abongination posted:

I just got a letter recently from the DHS saying I owed $4000 to centrelink from 5 years ago. I was on newstart at the start of that year for a short while before finding work.

Called em up about it and over the next couple of days, 10 calls and uploading every bit of info I had from 2013 I managed to figure out what had happened.

The ATO had handed over my payment summaries from various employers for the year but they are apparently not legally obligated to put the actual dates you worked on the summaries. So each of my employers has it listed as me working the entire year which includes the period I was on newstart.

So I've given over bank statements and every payslip from 5 years ago I could find and I've been told I'm in queue for a reassessment and that my "debt" has been put on hold. My debt is only on hold for three months however and they may not reassess me in this period so I need to call them back in February to tell them that they havnt yet assessed my debt otherwise they'll try to get it out of me again.

I questioned why they just wouldn't freeze it until the reassessment happened and the operator has no good reasons.

I'm studying next year and need to sign up for ausstudy and this has drained away all my capacity for putting up with centrelink bullshit before I've even started the application.
that's hosed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is no way you don't challenge that debt, they can't prove it

can they really expect you to have all your info from 5 years ago also?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
start by being an rear end in a top hat and work
your way back from there

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the big red labor pacman needs to close it's mouth :getin:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
<<<<<<<<<

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can he stay silent pls

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

I saw this and I believe the reason they've cut their funding is political. Foodbank are very close with blue collar unions and the greens. They don't actively step out with political communication, but they definitely have an opinion.
VFS

very loving scummy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pm who is doing very badly in polls refuses hungry people food

bold strategy scomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy