Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Would it be possible to cap these threads at like 3000 pages, because crappier computers have trouble loading the page selector much beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What Pelosi says now, in the lame duck period before Dems have any power in the House, is completely irrelevant

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Side discussion:

What are the realistic odds of taking the senate back in 2020?

I think that depends entirely on what level of enthusiasm Dems can muster for their Presidential candidate. Someone who was as like-able and competent at campaigning as Obama will probably drag up a lot of other races. Running Hillary again would probably flip the House back to red.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

50-48. If it were 49-49, Pence puts him in. That is not the deciding vote.

VP only breaks the tie if it's 50-50

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yes you can, because part of the impeachment process is an investigation. It won't matter though because Trump is going to ignore it and the Senate won't convict.

The Senate won't convict, but Trump wouldn't ignore it. He would have big baby meltdowns like we haven't seen yet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They came for Jeff Sessions, and I did nothing, because gently caress him

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jefferson KKK Sessions is both extremely evil and extremely competent, probably the worst combination of both of those things in the Trump administration. It's possible they may maintain the status quo by replacing him with someone equally bad. It's more likely, however, that the replacement will come up short in one of those categories. More likely competence. Meanwhile, Jeffy gets the double indignity of his Senate seat being blue for two years and himself getting fired.

These events are not good, because nothing the Trump admin does is good, but it hasn't yet made things worse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mitt/Bloomberg trying to pull a Perot would be extremely funny

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd ask for a similar poll of Florida but we all know nobody is actually born in Florida

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

"Mr. Hickory, were you actually born in Florida?"

"Tuhah! What a stuipd question! Of all the cheek!"

"Were you?"

"Of course not! No one's been born in Florida since 1877! BUT...! I've been here five years which is a very long time."

Remember when GTA games were satire of American culture?

We must build a river across Florida!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure she can find a couch to sleep on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Your Taint posted:

If she's a Republican she's not a decent person.

No, but she's smart enough to know that taking the high road here won't harm her future political prospects.

Also, Arizona isn't Florida, despite the volume of old folks moving to both.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

What is Megan Kelly up to anyway

rolling around on a pile of money

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They're gonna have to strip it down to the girders and rebuild. Once you've soaked wood in urine it doesn't really come out.

I would definitely have the bed burned

and the toilet seats

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Oh, spez means edit. And here I thought SA was insular and weird. Two years and they have this whole language unique to their broken brains.

If you're wondering, spez is the name of the reddit admin who got caught loving with T_D members by editing their posts

e:f,b

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, this open conservative who writes for garbage right-wing sites like the Daily Caller is one of the founders for one of the biggest left-wing podcasts in the country?

Gotta grift both sides

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Confounding Factor posted:

Lol its like that Fox News graphic:

Fun fact, for several months last year I did not have a working refrigerator and was too poor to replace it

And I had a 31 year old microwave!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What was this final ratio on that Scarry tweet before he deleted it?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can't believe anyone still thinks Elizabeth Warren has any actual political skill after the DNA test thing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1glitch0 posted:

Well, also, and I might be wrong because I haven't been following the saga of Stormy Daniels' lawyer and Dummy Dipshit too closely, but isn't the only reason anyone even brought up Wohl was because he came out and said he was involved?

yah

Though like the terrorist groups that come out of the woodwork every time an airliner crashes, he's probably just claiming responsibility for the attention. I guess we'll find out soon enough, probably.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I want a gritty Punisher reboot where instead of low level crooks, he kills pharma execs and CEOs

A Gritty Punisher reboot, you say?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

What kind of naval ship is Trump going to get named after him?

None.

Richard Nixon was a Commander in the Navy in WWII and they still haven't named a ship after him.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Don't forget that we have an actual credit system already in place, which is even worse.

AND if you have a felony conviction, you can't get a job, or in some states exercise rights like voting.

The background check is already deciding your fate in America.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Part of me is genuinely curious if the fact that Trump hasn't blabbed about aliens means they don't exist or if the CIA just didn't tell him about the aliens. :tinfoil:

Since he won't read past the first three lines of a bullet-point list, all they'd have to do to keep something secret is bury it in the middle of a big report.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"But we thought Republicans in Congress decided who got indicted for lying to Congress"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know a couple people in Anchorage and they're reporting walls collapsed and some significant damage. The epicenter was just a few miles from the city.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's going to be REAL awkward not inviting the sitting president to a dead president's funeral.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Its gonna be more awkward if he is there

Imagine him sitting next to Jeb and W

Right after flying back from half across the loving world

While the next round of Mueller poo poo goes down next week

Definitely.

His absence is going to make is crystal clear that they hate him, too. They kept that on the down low with Barbara's funeral, by pretending Donald was too busy and sending Melania. Those excuses won't fly this time. People- as in the general poll-answering public- like GHWB.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

[e: Is anyone going to go to trumps funeral when he finally dies? Can't imagine there being a big group at the service.

They can get Obama and Michelle Wolf to deliver the eulogy

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know all Republicans are bad etc, but if y'all can't handle Democrats saying nice things about HW then you should probably turn off your monitor for a week

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trump and the Bushes deserve each other

Now, will they let Donald speak...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1068928701830639616

USPOL Winter: Get me outta here

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

An endless line of people being held back by the cops so they can't physically poo poo on his headstone

Donald will finally get his wall, around his grave.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

maybe we can get Kushner to buy page 666

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

Deplatforming is good, but it doesn't work all the time. Milo would be fine right now if he hadn't fed into your average Republican's delusion where they associate gay men with pedophilia.

"The pedophile would be doing fine now if he hadn't been outed as a pedophile" is, indeed, an argue proof statement

Joe Biden is the Democrats' Jeb

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jimmy looks like he's having an ok day

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Has there been an obit for Bush i the vein of Hunter S. Thompson's one for Nixon yet, come to think of it? All I've seen are the kind of "He was the kind of man who would hold the elevator for you" bullshit.

I haven't seen anything nearly so on the nose, no.

This wasn't a bad obit: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25371742/george-hw-bush-dies-94-republican-party/

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GyroNinja posted:

These people are the majority of American (White) Christians though.

People focus on how 80% of Evangelicals voted Trump, but he also won ~60% of white Catholics and Protestants in general.

lol Trump got a larger share of the "born-again" Christian vote than W, who is one

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

crikey, let her serve a couple terms in the House first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

time to reply to a post from 15 pages ago

I'd have to check the federaliat papers but my guesses would be

1) you cant trust young people to have shown their character yet

2) Young folks have less experience

3) you don't want somebody's kid getting the job for dynastic reasons (ie President Chelsea)

In more modern rationales, anyone under 35 making a bid for president is a lot more likely to be a Kennedy or Clinton or Bush than they are to be named Cortez. I think removing the retstriction would be more likely to aid elites rather than otherwise.

In terms of what the founders were thinking, I'd say their main concern was that the government be run by wealthy (or at least well off) people aka landowning white men, on the theory that those people would have the most personal investment in the success of the country. Removing the age requirements might be more likely to aid elites now, but I think they believed the opposite 200 years ago. A middle-aged man would have been more likely to have inherited wealth or earned it and would have been in a better position to take four years off to be President.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean as far as I’m concerned the optimal path to the presidency for AOC is two terms in the House - primary Schumer or Cuomo or stay in the House - President.

^ given his age, Schumer might be more encouraged to simply retire rather than fight if he believes he'll face a strong primary challenge in '22

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2018