Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

exmarx posted:

we're closer to 2040 than the release of men in black (1997)

Cleopatra (the famous one) lived closer in history to man landing on the Moon than the building of the pyramids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'd pick Dawkins because (theoretically) I could just keep veering the conversation back to some biology minutiae, but the rest of those, wuff.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

day 3 of giant gobs of bloody yellow mucus exiting my nose and lungs, but at least testing says it isn't covid

How unpleasant! I hope you kick them invaders' rear end (although I suppose they don't have asses, really) and feel better soon!

edit: I know it's a thing, which isn't supposed to be a thing, but this is a new page on my settings, so here you go, have some kittens

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, but what did the CIA do to Dale

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my job is sending me to fire fighter training so if a giant rear end fire rolls through i can stand behind the firefighters in the middle of the swirling inferno and tell them which plants not to run over with their armored helldozers. i have to learn the right tools and techniques such that the unstoppable firestorm slowly smothers me instead of reducing my flesh to cinders while i still live

this particular facet of the job was not in the description i applied for

Stay safe mr. Muir, and try to keep the firemans alive too. It's a big ask, but you can do it, we believe in you!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, and this is what SciFi did with the Dune Miniseries in 2000 as well as the children of dune miniseries, and it was really well done.

I was kind of afraid of posting this take, but I really agree, the Dune sciffy miniseries is pretty good in my opinion. Obviously some of the CGI etc. are really dated now, but they had... Interesting costuming, and there's Ian McNeice having an absolute blast being BARON VLADIMIR HARKONNEN, it's really fun.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 23, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think I've only seen a few 3D films, and the only one that I remember feeling :catdrugs: about was that Sandra Bullock space movie, because space freaks me out for some reason already, and all that junk just rushing at you, Jesus. And the glasses thing doesn't help, I need these freaking things to see, even a huge honking movie screen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sinnlos posted:

Hi DadChat, I'm a dad now.

Congratulations!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not a parent, but from my interactions with family and friends who are, you'll wind up with lots of funny pee stories.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

Donald Trump? Why?

Jesus could turn water into wine, dunno about Trump!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

an egg posted:

i thought my birthday parshah was the one where the LORD sends quail from the wilderness to feed the israelites and they eat them with no untoward effects, but i was wrong, it's the other time the LORD sends quail from the wilderness because the israelites won't stop bitching about having no meat and anybody who eats the quail miraculously drops dead on the spot

lol

Thought this was about LOTR

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh dear, that sounds bad :ohno:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You have the inevitable part right, at least

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

they're those chunky monitors that would take up your entire desk

After I'd moved out of the house, my parents got the bright idea to buy a huge, for the time, honking teevee. It was something absurd like 50 inches, and it was a CRT device. They even managed to get it upstairs! That thing must have weighed about as much as an oven. But the joke was really on them, because no one actually watched the drat thing, I think my dad watched one Formula season on it and then it was just forgotten. Because no one went upstairs to watch the teevee, since there was one set in the living room downstairs too.

Why yes I'm just old enough to have to have moved a couple times with CRT monitors and boy howdy did I hate those god-damned things

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It may have been smaller, I honestly don't remember. It was just this absolute tank of a teevee and I'm glad we no longer have to deal with that sort of nonsense.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My google-fu is failing me and I can't find a picture of the drat thing, but I did find a quote from a Finnish salesman who said their largest CRT sets at the time were over a hundred kilos in weight. Jeez Louise!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, you did spell physicist with a capital pee

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That headcrab is totally going to grab someone's face and turn them into a monstrous being whose every living moment is agony. I just want it on the record that I suggested we do something about it.

Alas, bureaucracy

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Goongrats, your life is a Gary Larson strip!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I cannot read reports anyway

...yet :evilbuddy:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

yeah this is the same dude that when i was desperate for a job in like 2013 took me to a strip club for an interview (he was a lawyer for the strip club) and got us lap dances so im trying to tell him my credentials and the stripper is like honey you can slap my rear end in and im like oh, sorry, so i'm slapping her rear end as im looking at him telling him i think you know i can really provide a servic-

*taking notes* Good people skills, gets along with the girls

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"Pipe down, or we will make you pipe down" is an organizational strategy, sure.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I apologize if this is too "talking about moderation" or whatever that is forbidden outside the 2-day party threads that happen every so often, but I have a question/suggestion. Could we (as in D&D) have a general "post about semi-recent US history" thread? Or would that turn into another hot-bed of awful drama? What am I saying, of course it would.

But either way, since the US current events thread is meant for current events, and the mid-terms thread is heading towards a discussion about what went down in the 2000 elections, it seems like it'd be nice to have a general thread to discuss about how gropey LBJ was (he was), or how weird as a person Nixon was (he really was), or how Dick Cheney ran the administration while Bush played a patsy.

Anyway, thank you for listening to my ted talk, see you in posting pits.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Between Let's relive the Bush years and the President's Day Presidents Thread for Pontificating about Presidents D&D has had a couple in the past year+. I see no reason why there couldn't be another one?

This is really going to be on you and how you shape the thread. There are tremendously intelligent and knowledgeable people who lurk D&D and are happy to share but feel like it's going to be received with hostility (per multiple old feedback threads) or drowned out by dogshit slapfights. How will you make your thread a more enjoyable place for them to :effort:? An easy one is to engage with the effort posts and ask followup questions or emphasize parts that were especially interesting. This actually works better than modaction to shut down derails and avoid lovely thread cultures no matter which thread it's in except dadchat but the mod toolset of negative reinforcement can't actually do anything to encourage that behavior so *gestures wildly at everything*

Start it with a clear purpose, meet effort with effort(even/especially just followup questions!), and hope it doesn't get big enough to be worth disrupting. State & Local back in 2018 was a great example of a thread that was mostly notawful, filled with electoral advice, trip reports, and people providing context then tviving the results of dem primaries without succumbing to the curse as the bad posters were busy slapfighting in other threads.

I will have to take a little while to make a starting post, since this fabulous idea of mine is falling on my own head, but there's a lot to cover. I figure a reasonable starting point would be Eisenhower and Nixon being vice president, since the culture wars we are seeing are all Nixon's fault, and that's a half-century of presidents alone. You are right though, it would be great for others to contribute.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

exmarx posted:

nasa spent $10b on a camera that takes blurry photos of stars lol

the sea level is rising ffs

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I heard that one of the tory leader candidates was a magician's assistant. I guess that's a step up from burning 50 quid notes in front of homeless people :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

USA is the aggressor

:lmao:

That mean old mister Chamberlain, forcing the poor, peace-loving Leader to re-militarize and protect his people in surrounding countries. The West has no shame

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

an egg posted:

you can't fake a great-looking goat

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nature is beautiful

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As the saying goes, everything is poo poo except for the piss, my friend

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

an egg posted:

nasa is going to knock a "harmless" asteroid off course and set it straight on a collision course for earth

The Russians used a dog

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He was literally the chief of the Inquisition for a while there, I'm sure those guys have their own pool of boiling sulfur down there

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

today is Watergate day in class

students are not as interested in watching recordings of Nixon tapes as I am

The kids are Not Alright :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

"It's fatal liberality," says Ehrlichman. "And with its use on television, it has such leverage."

Nixon asks Ehrlichman to consider northern California. "You know what's happened."

"San Francisco has just gone clear over," says Ehrlichman.

"But it's not just the ratty part of town," says Nixon. "The upper class in San Francisco is that way. The Bohemian Grove (an elite, secrecy-filled gathering outside San Francisco), which I attend from time to time. It is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine, with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco."

Nixon finishes things off by turning into an observer of ladies' fashions.

"Decorators. They got to do something. But we don't have to glorify it," says Nixon. "You know one of the reasons fashions have made women look so terrible is because the goddamned designers hate women. Designers taking it out on the women. Now they're trying to get some more sexy things coming on again."

"Hot pants," says Ehrlichman.

"Jesus Christ," murmurs the president.

All Dick really wanted was to stop war :smith: If it weren't for those god drat Kennedy kids :argh:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Good!

Since I have no other means of conveying general happiness at you, have a picture of puppies.

I'm sure they would be pleased at your talking prowess too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Operation Acoustic Ocasio-Cortez