Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thank goodness you're here, One Week Too Late Man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kale posted:

It tracks with another assessment I've heard of Trump (I forget from who who but IMO he nailed it) that he just says, does or orders people to do whatever will get him through a given moment. It covers the vast majority of angles where he appeals to say one thing only to do a complete 180 and reversal of course. In this case it would be something like nodding to infowars riles up his base and pisses off CNN but now that theres a lawsuit and he has to be an adult possibly to not immediately lose the case and perjure the whole adminstration the he karate chopped an intern line is no longer convenient. His lies seem to catch up to him faster and faster lately at least

Probably the most obvious example on record of him just trying to get through a moment was firing comey only to get Mueller on his rear end instead

This was that article from a few pages ago that kept using the word "fulsome" I think. Everyone's quoting it subconsciously

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I guess in the same sense that you test a welded vessel for leaks by pressurizing it and sticking it under water, we needed a Trump to find loopholes and cracks in our constitutional system

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What in the christ.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chilichimp posted:

I thought we were allowed to discuss news? I was just posting about how loving disappointingly dark America has become.

Someone stands up and shouts something in a theater and people start literally running, assuming that person is there to murder a bunch of people.

I mean poo poo, yesterday I think I saw a US flag that wasn't at half-mast!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure is helpful at least that these "supremacy" guys are not only not particularly notable as paragons of humanity, they are emphatically and uncontroversially the dregs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

NORTH WATERBORO, Maine — The only light in the house came from the glow of three computer monitors, and Christopher Blair, 46, sat down at a keyboard and started to type.

Wing Commander guy, noooo

E: Also

quote:

Chapian didn’t believe everything she read online, but she was also distrustful of mainstream fact-checkers and reported news. It sometimes felt to her like real facts had become indiscernible — that the truth was often somewhere in between. What she trusted most was her own ability to think critically and discern the truth, and increasingly her instincts aligned with the online community where she spent most of her time.

This fucks me up, because how the gently caress do I know I'm not doing the exact same thing right now

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 18, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

I like the part in the article where the abuse she gets falling for his fake news prank just reinforces her belief that liberals are crazy and hateful, and does nothing to make her question her belief in a story that "seemed true" because liberals are crazy and hateful: after all here are liberals confirming how crazy and hateful they are to people like her!

But whatever Blair needs to tell himself to justify that sweet $180k/year he pulls in manufacturing fascist propaganda

Hey, a good grift is a good grift

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasn't it attributed to lettuce farms not letting their undocumented workers take bathroom breaks so they have to poo poo in the fields? Or was that just the woke nod-and-wink presumption?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does that ^^ literally just say "No." ? Like that's what the SCOTUS is saying to Trump?

Or is that like a "Number" abbreviation where a docket number would go or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RasperFat posted:

Maybe we wouldn’t have put an open rapist on the court, but whatever judges were chosen would be equally as bad in rulings.

I think actually everything would be worse. There wouldn’t even be a token media pushback against the neocon agenda. Probably no Women’s March being the largest protest in US history. No leftward shift of the Overton window. No mass awakening of Millennials learning they need to loving vote and get involved.

Hillary probably would have been crushed by a GOP standard issue ghoul and not even won the popular vote.

As lovely as these times are, I’m glad it’s not another Republican in the WH more competently loving America.

Accelerationism ... good?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:roflolmao: Fuckin saw that coming.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought the question was WHY is it insightful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah I mostly posted it because it seems like even CEOs are openly questioning the value of Friedman’s sociopathic worldview. Just another example of the pendulum slowly shifting direction that we’ve been seeing lately

My question is whether businesses are being actually socially conscious nowadays, i.e. pulling advertising from Fox News shows, taking stands that cause chuds to boycott them, etc; or whether it's all calculated and performative and aimed at shareholder profits in the end anyway

Like that classic Bill Hicks bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHEOGrkhDp0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does my selfish desire for heaven outweigh my personal fear of hell

Or do I do things for ~other reasons~

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meanwhile all I hear from certain people is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-is-worlds-most-competitive-economy-for-first-time-in-a-decade-1539727213

quote:

The U.S. is back on top as the most competitive country in the world, regaining the No. 1 spot for the first time since 2008 in an index produced by the World Economic Forum, which said the country could still do better on social issues.

woo :chud:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We also have this photo linking Cohen to OJ Simpson, apparently

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm guessing that the reason it didn't happen the other time is because someone didn't immediately buy up the domain, right? Of course, Rudy's brain is, like his boss, rancid soup, so he would never understand this.

:laffo: at the idea that Twitter is anti-Trump though.

More like because he doesn’t realize that it isn’t “period without a space”, it’s “word-period-valid country code TLD” and the other times he left out the space it didn’t make it into a link because it didn’t form a valid activatable URL.

I know it’s not necessarily fair to expect Rudy to understand about regexes, but any tech-savvy person who has ever defended him has some mental gymnastics to do now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder who it even plays with (aside from his base). Coal country is not a huge population, and the dispossessed coal industry workforce is famously tiny. For it to make sense for him to grandstand about building new coal plants, the entire country would have to be clamoring about power prices being too high or something. And last I checked people's electrical bills were somewhere around priority #472 on their hot-button topic lists.

If Trump gave a poo poo about what subjects people actually talk about in the broader conversation regarding power generation, he'd be trying to make the case for more and cheaper natural gas power that follows the market forces and technological progress or whatever if he still insists on going lalala i can't hear you about climate change. But he thinks BUILD MORE COAL PLANT = AMERICA LOVE ME

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

friendbot2000 posted:

Remember that stupid talking point of "if there was a credible bomb threat in your city/school/scaretactic, wouldn't you want the authorities to use EVERY tool at their disposal to prevent it?" Or worse "What if the information they get prevents another 9/11?"

These are the people who would also quite earnestly call for putting "our best and brightest" in charge of the TSA metal detectors.

Like, literal brain surgeons and rocket scientists, watching the X-ray screen on a conveyor belt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

E: wrong thread

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zalgo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh, you have to consider that Romney is out of Utah, and directly representing the Mormon population. The Mormons widely loathe Trump.

Do they? A friend of mine is super-mormon from a super-mormon Utah family and his parents are bowing scraping Trump acolytes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*unveiling statue* Hitler is a part of our history you see

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Discendo Vox posted:

Sputnik News iswas a Russian propaganda entity targeting the US.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just wanted to say thank you, PPJ - someone at work this morning trotted out the dumb "CA unfunded pensions" thing and since I saw it this morning before him I was prepared to counter it. Which I did, and he shut up and soon went away.

Bless.

Wait, where was the rebuttal to Hewitt's take? Did you find a response article?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

:awesomelon: ?

Been too busy to respond, but long story short - apparently I owned that dude with an uninformed opinion (the article led me to just think about California pensions a lot and have a coherent opinion when he brought up teacher pensions whilst he criticized the strike), because after you asked I looked up a lot more on pension stuff and I did not understand pension funds as well as i thought I did.
So, it is I who was owned in the end.

All I ask is that when I do turn into a corn cob, at least make a decent cornbread from my delicious corpse.

At least your sacrifice has prevented me from making a similar misstep, so some good has come of it :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Galrog has been a wise and just administrator for over a thousand years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HootTheOwl posted:

Eh, I was surprised by the cartoonish scale of the attack too. Like there was a checklist of "essential black person hatecrime activity" and they needed to check everything off. Don't get me wrong I believe him.

If he were lying he’d be more creative about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just means the people making this stuff ought to be designing to the most difficult parameters, like building a bridge to withstand the upper limit of spec weight + 20% or whatever. You know, doing actual engineering

Forgetting black people exist or considering them an edge case is like saying “let’s hope nobody ever wants to drive a big rig on this thing”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also depends on the industry. Entrenched tech like financial: 95% Indian. Hipster startups: 95% white.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ad tech

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

osker posted:

Holy poo poo i completely forgot that was its name.

And still BackOrifice is more widely remembered than Microsoft BackOffice, which it was riffing on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No it's a cop

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Do you think he'd accept paying $10k and community service if he was innocent? Moreso if he was actually attacked in a hate crime?

Do you think “community service” was the likely outcome of 16 felony charges?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Z. Autobahn posted:

Seriously, this is Burn After Reading level Coens at this point

AAaaaa that's who Betsy DeVos reminds me of, mother gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He also believes the "opioid epidemic" is because of drug smuggling over the border, rather than "doctors prescribe them legally and then people OD"

Also apparently Mexico's "immigration laws" are related in some way to emigration

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Harriet Tubman: notorious human trafficker

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love how a tradition dating from post-2016-election qualifies a participant as an "old"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's just what my nutritionist says