Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

pog boyfriend posted:

its masturbatory dogshit and i hate it every time they shoehorn it into a module. i think the worst one by far for me was in curse of strahd where there is a huge reveal that mordenkainen is the mad mage!!! because of the sheer importance placed on this shocking twist that i would wager the majority of players could not possibly care about. it just weighs down modules and doesnt add anything and you are absolutely right about this

Are cameos that big of a deal? That spoiler you are talking about is just that a cameo, it's not actually important to the plot or supposed to be a shocking twist.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

I think I'm going to just replace him with someone more appropriate to FR, maybe tie them to a previous campaign.

The funny thing about that is my first idea was to replace him with Valindra Shadowmantle who featured prominently when I ran a campaign out of the 4E Neverwinter book, but then I continued reading and learned she's already in the book, apparently just sorta poking around under orders from Szass, and she also has a note explaining that she's probably too tough for the party and will just gently caress off and leave them to fight minions if they come after her. Once again this book tells players, "here's a cool villain you may know; no you can't defeat them."

Could you not still use Valindra as the villain. She's there already there and you could say she is copying Acererak's style, or doing the death curse stuff on behalf of Szass Tam or whatever. Or even have her planning on going independent, and is secretly the one behind stuff, but Tam did not know that when he sent her.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

That page actually has their origin.

quote:

They were the result of an experiment by an accomplished wizard whose name has been lost to time. The wizard had wanted to find a good replacement for doppelgangers, one that could be controlled easily. His experiment succeeded, and the mongrelfolk infiltrators were born, able to take the shape of any being they ate, only the wizard didn't think far enough ahead for his experiments. The mongrelfolk infiltrators were unable to reproduce with their natural genes, and instead their children were born with pieces of creatures they had shifted to throughout their services, but were unable to change shape themselves.

Also checking despite their appearances they were never actually evil by default.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

This reminds me of a thing Larian brought up for BG III namely how people were making their characters.

They elaborated later, they were expecting a Frankenstein monster, but it was more of a joke and they are not actually disappointed.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Quarterroys posted:

I want to buy a copy of the player’s handbook to expand our options a bit - if I want a physical copy, but also want to have the digital version for dndbeyond to integrate into our game, am I going to have to buy two copies?

Sadly yes. But there are ways to cheapen it. If you get the D&D Essentials Kit it comes with a 50% code for the D&D Beyond Players Handbook, and unlocks itself and three extra Adventures for free on D&D beyond.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Froghammer posted:

Rumor mill says we're getting a new book announcement on Friday

Come onnnnnnn Spelljammer

Rumors say it's a Dragon book. Next year we are supposed to get Five Setting Books. One Returning, two Classic, and two New ones that are not magic settings.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Huh these are a few fun little details about Witchlight the upcoming adventure.

quote:

Introduces two races—play as a fairy or as a harengon, a race of humanoid rabbits.
All encounters in the adventure include a non-combat option, allowing players to think and roleplay their way through the adventure if they wish.
Classic 1980s Dungeons & Dragons characters return, including Warduke, Strongheart, and Kelek.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

More info on Fizban's

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/07/18/in-the-works-fizbans-treasury-dragons/content.html

There is going to be mechanical stuff for customizing the different Dragon types, which will be nice. It will be nice to be able to make the Dragon more unique from each other.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 20, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ravnica I think worked well, but Strixhaven does not really interest me as a setting book. It's also the first 5e Setting book I probably won't get, unless I learn later on that there is cool enough stuff in it.

What I am really curious about is next year, as 5 setting books seems wild. Particularly since two of them are planned to be brand new ones.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Also according to Baldur’s Gate 3 which assumes Descent happened and Elteruel was saved, large groups of Tiefling refugees are moving to Baldur’s Gate as after the trip to Hell they were not welcome in Elturgard anymore.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

The whole canon thing is being elaborated on.

https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/dnd-canon

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone got a good, reasonabe homebrew for a bipedal spider player race?

An Ettercap.

Just copy the traits, say the character now has a bite attack, and can cast Web once a day.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 4, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I got it on D&D Beyond and there is a lot of DM advice and stuff to help run it that seems quite helpful for new ones. (Also it has a lot of cool little nods to Van Richtans Guide to Ravenloft, namely the Carnival Domain).

For an example of solving a situation without combat, one of the most aggressive NPCs I have read about so far is a Brigand Leader Harengon with a 15 foot long scarf that gives him super speed, him and his crew ambush the party, with his crew ready to toss rocks at the party if they cause problems while he dashes around laughing and stealing objects off them, if they try to hurt him he will hit that party member with a branding iron that makes it so that he is invisible to the branded. While this has the makings of a fairly tough fight, if a party member manages a check to grab his scarf while he is running around between the party, and the Brigand Leader is unable to break free after one attempt, he gives up and begs for mercy on the spot. And the rest of his gang will shun him, and think the party is pretty cool.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Kestral posted:

Has anyone here put their group up against 5e’s version of the tarrasque? If so, how did it go, and do its stats need to be tweaked like so many of the creatures in the original 5e Monster Manual?

My group of level 18s has set their sights on fighting it, intending to subdue and bind it to their will (god I love these players). But my experience with 5e is that it handles solo boss fights... poorly unless you're using rules specifically designed to make boss monsters, and I’m concerned they’ll run this thing over. Its statblock is scary, but it honestly doesn’t seem that overwhelming for a party in the 18-20 range compared to the tarrasque’s earlier iterations.

Re: diplomacy and social conflict, agreed, D&D is absolutely not designed to handle it RAW. I highly recommend stealing system-agnostic mechanics from other games and making a diplomatic/social minigame if you find that you need it for a big set-piece like a council of war. The clock mechanics from Apocalypse World / Blades in the Dark are especially good for repurposing into minigames on the fly, or more elaborate subsystems with a bit of prep.

It's strong but it has flaws that we already fixed but for some reason taken away in 5e. I modified the Tarrasque with three extra features, which I feel covered it's weaknesses pretty well.

Immutable Form. The tarrasque is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Regeneration. The tarrasque regains 40 hit points at the start of its turn. The tarrasque is defeated only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't regenerate. To stop it's regeneration a worded Wish spell much be cast on it while it at 0 HP to halt it's regeneration, upon which the tarrasque will sink into the earth in stasis until the next time it emerges.

Along with a ranged attack so people can't just fly out of it's reach.
Spines. Ranged Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, range 120/600 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d8 + 10) piercing damage.
I also edited Multiattack so that if can use spines attacks in place of it's claw attacks. The spines are weaker but can be used at range.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has anyone bought the DMsGuild Extra Life thing for Domains of Delight?
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/371449/Domains-of-Delight-5e

I'm interested but curious if anyone has taken a look yet and feels it's worth it. (Yeah, it's for a charity, but if that's the only reason for me to buy it, I'd rather just give that money to a charity of my own choice.)

I have it. It's a fun little thing, that offers decent amount of stuff for making Domains of Delight, and giving info about Fey and the Feywild.

A note also. A Domain of Delight is the opposite of a Domain of Dread. The Domains of Dread exist to torment their Dark Lord rulers giving them a position of power, but never making them happy. Domains of Delight instead exist to suit their Archfey's whims and to make them happy. However this does not mean they are all pleasant places as they reflect the emotions of their ruler, and a malicious Archfey will have a malicious domain.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

The expansion box with the new Mordenkainen's book is $170???

It sounds like it contains other books too. But yeah for sure going to get the new book solo.

As for the new monsters. We have some examples in hard to read format comparing to their old versions.

From what I can gleam they seem similar to the statblocks in the new Wild Beyond the Witchlight. Here is Kelek the sorcerer for example. Most Spellcasters in the future will probably be like him.

Combat Notes posted:

Kelek uses Arcane Defense to bolster his low Armor Class whenever possible, and his challenge rating is a reflection of the likelihood that he will use Fiery Explosion as often as he can. If one or more of his allies get caught in a blast, so be it.

I note that he does have spells, but none of them deal damage, so they have no effect on his offence calculation.

Ryuujin posted:

It sounds a lot like the lead up to 5e. They announced 5e, cut all or most 4e releases, then eventually spent a bunch of time on playtests. Then people started to use "poor sales" of 4e during that time period to imply 4e was bad and unpopular when it was just the long stretch of time after 5e was announced and 4e was no longer really supported.

The Difference here seems to be that it will be backwards compatible, which 5e to 4e was not. Most of the upcoming stuff announced is Setting stuff which should transition well anyway.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 27, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

How do you counterspell or dispel magic spell-like abilities though? They don't have levels to contest against

Looks like it will be more anti-control spells then damage spells against new monsters.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

A Fiend Pact Warlock is not necessarily bound to do whatever their Patron asks, nor have they necessarily sold their soul. There can be tons of weird agreements.

Ash Rose posted:

My mistake, what I meant is the point of going fully in that direction is the end-goal of not having to do that, I will fully admit it is wonky to go half-way like that example.

The actual spells he has are purely utility or support spells, their thing is that they won't have any effect on his CR, which assumes he spams his big attacks as much as possible. So they are there to give him some versatility, but can be ignored in favor of just blasting.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 28, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

On using Kelek in an encounter. In the book he is in, he is the leader of an evil adventuring party. He’s cautious enough to not instantly start poo poo with the heroes as when they encounter him and his whole party won’t be together. When encountered he will for sure be with his party’s fighter Warduke, and depending on events his cleric Zargash. Warduke is CR 5 like Kelek while Zargash is CR 3 and less likely to help out in the fight.
The party is expected to be level 7 when the encounter happens.

There is also Skylla the Warlock and Zarak the rogue but they almost certainly won’t be encountered with the others unless the DM wants that to happen. They are also the weakest ones being CR 2s.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

5e fairly recently introduced Mythic Monsters the next step up from legendary. They are monsters that after you reduce them to 0 hp have a trait that fully or near fully heals them and then grants them new abilities and legendary actions to use.

Apparently the Great Wyrms in the upcoming Fizbans will be Mythic, but honestly making Mythic monsters is pretty easy, and creating a mythic monster of any existing creature takes little time.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

For an example I used Bael here as the final boss of a campaign.

To buff him I made him a Mythic Creature giving him the trait he would recover all of his HP upon reaching 0 HP and would teleport and turn invisible on the spot. I gave him two new legendary actions he could use after this activated, namely the ability to use his 8th level Inflict Wounds for 1, and the ability to both teleport and turn invisible for 2 actions.

The fight was probably the hardest of the campaign. My party was 18th level with a ton of magic gear and stuff, and the Paladin hard countered a lot of Bael's stuff, but I used his teleporting well and the cave environment they were fighting in to let him back off and regenerate when he was badly hurt, and during his first phase he had 8 Barbed Devils helping him out as distractions. In the end they exhausted all of his legendary Resistances, and stunned him, which finally let the Paladin and Fighter with a lucky crit kill him before he could teleport away and heal again. (They probably did enough damage to him to kill him four times over, had I not had him teleport away and hide for a bit if reduced to about 1/3 his hp.)

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just put Bloodied back in for 5.5, it's not that hard Wizards... :v:

I use Bloodied in my games, though less as of a mechanic, but more to show a monster is below half health.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dolash posted:

Just thought I'd try hitting up the thread for some advice concerning the new Wild Beyond The Witchlight book. It looks great and I'll be running it for a group soon, but they're a pre-existing group who'll be using their level 7 adventurers.

This is less of an issue than it'd be for the other published adventure modules, since having read through the book I can say it does a good job coming up with puzzles and interactions that don't hinge on the characters' power-levels so much. The players themselves are definitely interested in the roleplaying and exploration opportunities, so even if they could stomp through an encounters like the Harengon brigands, they'll probably try to figure out the trick to it instead.

Still, I would like to try and up-scale some of the enemies in the game to pose a mechanical threat, especially the Hourglass Coven, the Jabberwocky, and the League of Malevolence. Essentially those encounters where a party of heroes confident they've got the edge over definite evil-doers probably would just try stomping them, unless the evil-doers present a credible threat that makes them think twice.

Is there any good advice for pumping up the mechanical threat of a module? Should I give flat increases to some stats (higher hp, AC, and saves), try substituting statblocks for stronger variants (subbing out Darklings for Darkling elders, for example), or is there a more structured way to go about it?

I wanted to talk more about this with others. Sadly I am at work and can’t elaborate as much as I would like to. Later I can go more in-depth. But for some simple Ideas to ensure the later stuff in the adventure is the proper level, an unpopular idea may be to not have the party level up until they reach the point they would level to 8.

An easy way to beef up monsters is to maximize their HP, as they all use the averages of their hit dice. But they are still there in case you want to roll HP, and it’s not to hard to find the maximum from that.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I am also a fan of rolling HP for monsters as I like them having that variance. Though I have not been doing it lately as I have not found an easy way of doing it on Roll20 where I play most of my games.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dexo posted:

If you click there you will roll hp

Yes, but it does not auto apply that as the new HP for the creature I selected. I was too used to my old system on a different VTT were I had a Macro that would automatically roll hp for all selected creatures.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I am glad we talked about this. It made me decide to look around Roll20 and I found a Script called Monster Hit Dice that does it automatically.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

For comparing some new and old.

Original War Priest

New War Priest (Note the person who cleaned it up made a mistake and made the maul 1d6 instead of 2d6)

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Another interesting Old vs New for monster statblocks. This is the Tree Blight Original vs New.

That new False Appearance is way better.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Toshimo posted:

I don't know that the Blight was OP before, but them cutting the offensive capability in half is pretty notable.

It was apparently too strong for it's CR before. But let me do some calculations

Fake Edit: Having done the calculations. The Old Tree Blight is actually CR 9. The new one by the same calculations is a 6, but the calculator does not take the new False Appearance into account, and going by abilities of similar nature and power that would all bump it up to 7 if it had one, 7 seems accurate.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

A new Sage Advice about the changes that came with Wild Beyond the Wtichlight.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/creature-evolutions

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oh huh. There was rumors of a Minsc and Boo book, and it exists.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/365114/Minsc-and-Boos-Journal-of-Villainy-5e?src=newsletterDMsGuild10052021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

I wonder if this will tie into Baldur's Gate 3. That takes place a century after the second game and Minsc is rumored to be the ranger that can join the player's party... except he's just a normal human? So maybe this book explains how they're both still kicking around
I think the wizard that Edwin is said to have replaced is talked in BG III EA

PeterWeller posted:

What a weird mishmash of BG1&2 nostalgia. At least Heroes of Baldur's Gate had an adventure arc to tie it all together.

Regardless, thanks for posting the link. I am a sucker for this sort of thing.

Agreed. That's how you make a Minsc who's even more Minsc.
This is from the same guy that made Heroes of Baldur's Gate, but hired by Wizards to make a second thing. (I heard he was also hired onto the video game staff.)

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Just saw a preview of two of the upcoming monsters from Fizban's and I am sold by the art of the Eyedrake and Elder Brain Dragon

Yusin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2021

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

denimgorilla posted:

That brain dragon is pretty unsettling. Nice work, WOTC.

According to the preview, it's breath weapon is scary.

Dragon + posted:

“The elder brain also takes over the dragon’s breath weapon mechanism and spews a stream of brine filled with tadpoles, to begin performing ceremorphosis as it transforms the humanoids around it. Characters continue taking psychic damage even when infested with a tadpole, stabilizing if they’re reduced to zero hit points but remaining unconscious, until they transform into a mind flayer."

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Fizban's ToC from someone who got it early.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ha that’s funny one of the named sidebar dragons is the Dragon goddess of wealth and treasure and this is a thing on the wiki about her.

quote:

Dragons who worshiped Astilabor sometimes promised a share of their gains to the deity if she helped them in their ventures, but never sacrificed what they had promised to her, as they believed Astilabor would lose her respect for them if they gave up their wealth so easily.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I like these little Adventure Hooks for Dragon Types.

KingKalamari posted:

In light of how many times the word "dragon" appears just in that ToC it really tickles me that the first listing in the "sidebars" section is "Dragons and Dragons".

The first page which was also shown off has that sidebar.

Also for fun a Draconian foot soldier (AKA Baaz)

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't see why not.

At the very least you are not getting playable Draconians in this book. The five primary Draconians are part of the bestiary in the ToC. However it’s pretty easy to refluff a Dragonborn as a Draconian.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Froghammer posted:

Idk man, based on your posting history in this thread I don't think you're a person worth engaging with

That seems a bit harsh towards them. Also while refluffed Dragonborn is probably the Playable Draconians we will have, if one of the new settings is Dragonlance I could see them being made playable.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Azathoth posted:

I'm not familiar with Dragonlance, could someone explain to me why playable Draconians wouldn't be just Dragonborn customized according to Tasha's?

The whole mechanic centered around having a special effect when they die seems like something that could be a flavored version of what Barbarians already get, just substituted in as a racial for the breath weapon. Not sure if that's OP or not though.

The PHB actully even mentions them as customized Dragonborn.

PHB posted:

DRACONIANS

In the Dragonlance setting, the followers of the evil goddess Takhisis learned a dark ritual that let them corrupt the eggs of metallic dragons, producing evil dragonborn called draconians. Five types of draconians, corresponding to the five types of metallic dragons, fought for Takhisis in the War of the Lance: auraks (gold), baaz (brass), bozak (bronze), kapak (copper), and sivak (silver). In place of their draconic breath weapons, they have unique magical abilities.

For the most part a playable version would be weaker then the Dragonborn, as the Death Throes only come into play when they die.

The Baaz Death Throes seems to have been upgraded (their original was they turn to stone when they die and crumble away after a bit. But this could trap weapons used to kill them). Here is the whole statblock sorry the picture is not better, but it's from a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Azathoth posted:

It could also be a part of their whole "no evil races" thing.

Well evil races are still a thing they have it written out here.

WotC posted:

Both books are clear about the player and the DM having the final say on alignment, but both books also plant a seed of doubt. The Player’s Handbook suggests alignments for various folk in the D&D multiverse, and the stat blocks in the Monster Manual include alignments without reminding the DM that those alignments are merely suggestions.
To eliminate that seed of doubt while preserving alignment’s function as a roleplaying tool, we’ve made the following changes:

Only named individuals, such as Mister Witch and Mister Light, have a definite alignment.
Generic Humanoids bear the words “Any Alignment,” reminding the DM that such people have vast moral range.
Magical creatures that have a strong moral inclination (angels, demons, devils, undead, and the like) have an alignment preceded by the word “Typically.” For example, a demon’s stat block says “Typically Chaotic Evil,” since it is typical for a D&D demon to be chaotic evil. That one word—“typically”—reminds the DM that the alignment is a narrative suggestion; it isn’t an existential absolute. The holy can fall, and the fiendish can rise. Members of certain organizations—charitable knighthoods or diabolical cults, for example—also sometimes get the “Typically” treatment.
Creatures, such as most Beasts and Oozes, that are incapable of moral discernment continue to lack an alignment and therefore bear the term “Unaligned.”

Also they are getting more restrictive about the Humanoid creature type.

quote:

We’ve also gotten strict about which monsters get the Humanoid creature type. This type is now reserved for creatures who are humanlike in their moral and cultural range. As we update older books, we’ll reassign some Humanoids to other creature types. When Monsters of the Multiverse is released, you’ll see that some former Humanoids are now Monstrosities, Fey, and other types.

Dracoian's are Monstrosities meaning they are not humanlike in their moral and cultural range, but as their statblock says they are still capable of having any alignment as they are not innately predisposed towards evil.