Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read Batman and The Signal. The character is apparently spinning out of two separate events, neither of which I have read, so I may be at a disadvantage here. But the basic premise is daytime Batman. They really want you to know that, I don't think the trade ever goes more than three pages without someone explicitly saying "You're going to be Batman but during the day" or a character making a metaphorical comment about daylight, or something significant happening with light, or the sun. It basically reads like the author is desperately trying to convince both the reader and themself that "daytime Batman" isn't a very dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Couldn’t The Question talk to cities for a minute?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They love to take goofy bad guys and make them into hosed up killers, but it would be way more fun to do the opposite

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1661403720305745921?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/psuedofolio/status/1666254855726309378?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s really funny is when’s the last time you saw Deadpool.

He was everywhere and then just completely disappeared

I saw the Deadpool manga at Target yesterday

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Codependent Poster posted:

Trinity speaking: how do you do, fellow kids?

Can't even hide the fact that King cannot write dialogue for a young woman.

Oh, and since this is supposed to be 20 years in the future, that means Jon and Damian are around their mid-30s here and she's talking to them like they're her age which makes this even worse.

I've always thought that if you can't write authentic young people dialogue, trying to is the worst possible option. Having all characters talk the same regardless of age or background isn't good either, so the best solution is to pick a dialect you can write and make all your teens talk like that. 1960s Mods, Deadheads, early internet l33t kids, just pick one and act like you think that's how young people talk now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

trailer

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1675927862245728259?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is Jaime Reyes' family still dead in the comics?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cael posted:

I’d expect it’s from writing Jon as bi and also his Suicide Squad series where he chose to focus on a cool new cast of minorities / LGBTQ members vs the legacy members.

How can you have legacy members in the Suicide Squad? I thought the whole thing was that they died.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They got a Superman comic about Superman eating food now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Upsidads posted:

Super food?

Japanese food.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the description of the launch series makes this whole thing sound intensely uninteresting. It all sounds identical to the stuff that already comes out from Image, gets one or two collections, and then vanishes from existence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Not everything needs to be a manga that runs for 30 years

Not everything needs to be about someone with special powers fighting monsters and/or robots either, yet here we are

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not evidence though. Unless you can actually link him or the unit he was in with genuine war crimes, you shouldn’t say he’s a war criminal.

Good news, we can definitely link him to the CIA. So it's fine.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

It seems like it’s there to be deliberately ambiguous and let the reader choose which version they prefer. Or perhaps keep it deliberately vague while waiting to see what the movies do and which way for the synergy to lean? I dunno it seemed very noncommittal.

Does anyone actually prefer the secret love child origin? Like, it was fine for that specific Wonder Woman story which was built around that idea. But as the canon origin in all Wonder Woman stories, who wants that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That sucks, there should be a Cat Family

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I still don't understand why they set the Joker limit so low. Surely if you're doing multiple Jokers, you want space for as many Jokers as you can think of

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

From what I've seen, 5G was an editorial mandate to get rid of all the major characters like Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and not replace them with their currently existing legacy versions (except for Jon Kent) but new characters altogether

Legacy characters are ones of the best parts of DC and something fairly unique they have compared to Marvel, so it makes sense that DC editorial seems to hate the concept and undermine it or flat out undo it whenever they can

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

The Denny O' Neil run? I always felt like O'Neil had a personal love for Azrael but just didn't know how to tell compelling stories with the character.

Isn’t the whole thing that he’s Batman but Catholic? They should roll with that, make the series super Catholic, have villains who perform illegitimate baptisms or desecrate the Host, establish that the Gotham mafia are all Cathars. Have a mysterious recurring villainous mastermind who is revealed to be Martin Luther made immortal through heretical Protestant magic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Madkal posted:

Not Catholic but ultra secretive ultra rich pseudo Christian cult.

He should still fight the Cathars,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, I posted this in the good art thread but it's worth re-posting here.

what the gently caress is going on with those hands?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Might I recommend the manga about ladies doing MMA, Teppu?

I was gonna say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaI9ixCmp8

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

You can always just read the rest of the series

and then start Dai Dark, which also has an excellent really big babe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nessus posted:

I figure this is just the classic case where an epic challenge barely achievable for Batman is a diverting afternoon for Superman.

Is Superman qualified to rebuild the sewage, plumbing, and electrical system of a whole city by himself?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Azubah posted:

Probably, there's a lot of home improvement work needed at a farm.

yeah but that's gonna all be amateur work, I strongly doubt he Clark Kent became a certified electrician.

You get a guy whose whole experience is fixing stuff around the house to do the electricity for a whole city, that ain't Gotham City anymore that's Grover City.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site posted:

Couldn't he use super speed to get qualified in like 2 minutes.

Still better than letting checks notes supervillains run construction and maintenance

It's not just a written test, you have to be an apprentice, then a journeyman. He can't do that in two minutes unless he's working with someone who is already a master electrician and also can move as fast as Superman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so I'm to believe that spoiler reveals she is pregnant than 4 issues later has the baby? While post cataclysm is happening? All of this happened over 9 months?

Also lmao st the earthquake death toll being 1million plus. So before the clench the city was about 5 million. Clench killed like 200-500 thousand, a mass exodus of people happened, then the quake happened and killed another million, then another mass exodus happens. So gotham went from a population of 5 million to 2-2.5 million, possibly less, in roughly a year and a half.

A million internally displaced persons would be the biggest crisis the US had faced since the Civil War. There would be sprawling tent cities outside of Metropoplis for decades.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Air Skwirl posted:

Tax slightly more on the richest people? Just loving spend the money and not worry about budgets like we do for every loving war?

No it has to be budget neutral. Bruce Wayne is a deficit hawk.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like America could not buy 20 Billion Dollar Warplanes and could half that at least. Like lowering the Military spending is by far the easiest thing in my eyes given that tons of it is not even used.

No we need those planes to be ready for the war against China we will instantly lose.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good reason why DC restarted the numbering on the Catwoman trades without the series itself actually restarting? There’s one Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 1-6, and then another Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 39-44.

What’s the deal?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

Scott Snyder is heading a new line of DC Comics called Absolute DC. The article is very confusing on exactly what this will be though. Calling it similar to Marvel's Ultimate line, but also saying it's in the regular continuity and is akin to a New 52/Rebirth style initiative. I honestly don't understand why the need for this. I was enjoying a bunch of Dawn of DC stuff so can we not muddy the waters?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scott-snyder-ultimate-line-dc-absolute-comics-all-in/

Ok I think the idea is that Absolute series will be basically the writer’s baby, they’ll be allowed to go basically indefinitely telling their own story with the character without having to tie in with events or cross-media synergy or anything. The creative freedom of All-Star, but ongoing and specifically open to new readers who want to follow one series without a lot of crossovers, like Ultimate was supposed to be. But also somehow in continuity.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at the first Birds of Prey book just being a platform for Chuck Dixon to whine the dumbest foreign policy takes.

Helena being a hardcore Cypriot nationalist isn't wholly out of character, it just hasn't come up before now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Signal is such a weird character concept.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In the article it says that Depth Charge keeps the Atlanteans in line by threatening to take away their powers. What powers do Atlanteans have? Is breathing underwater a “power” for them?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Air Skwirl posted:

Magic and I think they're way stronger than a normal human. (Like Aquaman himself is stronger than normal Atlanteans still, but they're strong.

Of course they probably also need that strength to survive at extreme depths, so even if they could still breath underwater they need to stick to shallow areas.

But is that strength a “power”? Gorillas are a lot stronger than a regular person but that’s not a power, it’s just a trait of their species

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joe Fisto posted:

Re: Ultimate DC

I have the same gripe with Marvel on this one. The costumes are too similar to the regular universe. They need to go hog-wild with the redesigns to really separate the characters. Batman but with more armor is just boring.

This is the regular universe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've been reading the recent Catwoman series. Early on, it's revealed that at some point Selina took in a group of wayward street youths and trained them to be thieves, and they all died. Like 15 issues later she buys a building where it turns out three young street thieves are squatting, and she announces that instead of kicking them out she's going to train them to be better thieves. I guess it has been established by that point that Selina is self destructive, but goddamn.

I generally feel like the series is too restrained by the idea that Selina is a thief. Sure that's her skill set, but you can apply it to other scenarios. Basically I'm saying Catwoman should go to space.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Last Call posted:

She does go into space!

She also has nine lives thanks to a cat goddess.

Said lives are quickly running out due to repeat cases of death.

It's not very good.

Actual space space or just like earth orbit? Because when I say Catwoman in space I mean it like X-Men in space. Getting in the middle of space wars and engaged to space royalty.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Siegkrow posted:

Oh that's his? Huh. I was not into sci-fi when it came out and nowadays I ended up with hype aversion but I keep hearing it's good.

Last time I looked into it people were like, "OK you need to watch the first episode, episodes 7 and 9, the last half of 13 and the first half of 14, this Youtube compilation of scenes from episodes 19-21, and the season finale, and then watch from season 2 onwards regularly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the first volume of Poison Ivy. It was very good. If I get Batman Fear State Saga will that have the stuff about Poison Ivy becoming a god and then losing her powers, or is that in a Fear State side story?