Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

happyhippy posted:

Anyone know if they are selling videos of the play, or theres a full version of it online?
So loving amazing still.

Word is "mid-May", one of the teachers is editing videos.

Alien somehow made it all the way out to rural Northern California to a town only 4 miles up the river in first run. A bunch of us kids saw it, it was awesome, I was 11 at the time and thought it was amazing. Then a few months later, the second-run/rep house theater in my town got it. Word of mouth had been huge, so the place was packed. Whole families turned up, including kids as young as 5 or 6. And that proved to be even more unfortunate than you'd expect.

See, it was a theater that showed cult classics and second run films. Alien was top bill and the second film of the night. First up ? Cronenberg's "They Came From Within".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-wkbUL814

The voiceover in the trailer isn't hyperbole, that's a seriously disturbing film. The manager came out afterwards and made an abject apology, he always screens the films before putting them on the schedule. Except for this, of all nightmares to go into cold. I'm sure there are some people who still have bad dreams because of it and they were to young to remember the trauma that was They Came From Within.

After that he put Alien on and nobody got scared by a drat thing in the whole film, we were all too numb.

Oh, and I saw Close Encounters at the same theater. During the saucer chase sequence towards the beginning of the movie... some poor SOB ran their car into a utility pole, so the lights went out while spaceships were zooming about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've played the first chunk of the side campaign in Colonial Marines, Hypersleep Interrupted, and it's pretty loving good. Creepy, atmospheric, sentry guns all over the place, and I've killed as many people as I've seen xenomorphs take down. I only just got a weapon. Looking forward to the next time I feel like being scared in space.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Today is my birthday and while I'm not thrilled with that for reasons unrelated to Aliens or this thread, expect photos of some of my random Aliens (and maybe Predator) merchandise posted later today.

Well happy birthday anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Is there a decent set of deck plans for the Sulaco ? I've got an RPG itch and I need deck plans to scratch it. I've seen the exterior diagrams and one side view with the interior detailed, but I want deck plans. My Google-fu is failing me, help !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hell Stink posted:

That's a pretty metal dream. Your subconscious is a badass.

Mine just thinks I have weak arms and constantly reminds me of it. :sweatdrop:

Every so often I've lucid dreamed myself into an Aliens scenario. I've done this four times and so far I've had a fantastic, terrifying run through what should be a nightmare every time. I am very grateful to my subconscious that I've woken myself up when the situation has turned irretrievably bad, with dripping jaws pushing into my personal space and not woken myself up screaming.

Oh, and this is why I'm keenly interested in a set of Sulacco deck plans:

Aliens RPG transcript

Ok then ! That was a well-run mission. There's a batch of colonists who'll read the loving fine print in the contracts about labor organizations. It was even a nice, clean deployment ! Now it's back on the ship, back in the tube, and a long sleep home to Gateway.
Lid on the tube comes down, lights go out. Time passes. Lid on the tube comes up.
Give me your best "I love the corps" one-liner for waking up with a pocket full of mission-success bonus money.

Nothing better than waking up & getting my toys out. Oh-rah! I LOVE THE CORPS!

Nobody laughs.

*gives a finger to the waking playoon* Aww screw you guys. Bunch of grumpy rear end in a top hat you are. *gets dressed and ready for breakfast*

Looking around, yours is the only tube open. The chamber is lit by emergency lighting and the consoles on the hypersleep tubes. Which are showing an unusual amount of amber. You're wearing shorts and a tank top that should be burned sooner rather than later.
What do you do ?

*looks around an frowns* Okay that’s weird. I swear if that fuggin synth screwed something up I’ll space 'em myself. *walks over to her locker stripping as she goes & tosses the disposable pajamas into a bin at the foot of the row of lockers*

Locker doesn't open. Code pad is giving you a lovely amber "Access Denied"

*growls an smacks the locker* Swear this thing always sticks. S’why I always carry this. *pulls out an ancient, well used an cared for, Leatherman from a sheathe on her ankle an opens a flat screwdriver head* Now if I remember right Stony said you need to push here.... *mutters an slides it between the lock an frame an begins to gently pry*
((playing as support gunner & squad gunsmith so would have a multitool on at all times))

drat right
That gets the locker open.

*smiles an sheathes the tool back in place* Call me paranoid huh? Prepared is more like it. *reaches into locker to get fresh underwear & BDU’s*

Dressed, equipped with a multitool, and suffering a hypersleep hangover is definitely an improvement over skivvies. multitool, and a hangover
The chamber is dimly lit, still just the e-lights. An unfamiliar vibration from the deck plates suggests you're still in FTL rather than in normal space under thrust.

*yawns an stretches* Ugh. An they say hangovers are worse. The FTL’s are still lit so why the hell am I awake? *wanders to a terminal in the squad bay* Now before coffee let’s see what’s going on. If this is a joke someone is going to get some cosmo in their boots. *taps some keys* Mother. Ship status.

Ship status: 23 days out of Gateway stations
Crew status: hypersleep pods nominal

*frowns* Nominal? Well at least they’re not corpscicles. But also means the synth isn’t active either. Da’fuk....? *types more keys* Mother. Why was my pod activated? Additional query. Why is emergency lighting active?

All pods nominal for hypersleep. Life support variance detected.

*raises eyebrow* Query. Define life support variance. Additional query. Run diagnostics on my pod. *types in usmc serial*

Rise in CO2 level. Temperature shift from nominal for hypersleep conditions. Diagnostic access denied.

*frowns* Helpful as always I see. Okay... Let’s try this. Query. Command override. Corporal Silverfox. Emergency access code A39b@!cenAC. Run diagnostic query on hypersleep pod. Additional query. Locate source of CO2 rise. *finishes typing* Swear if one of you assclowns jimmied my pod you’re on report. That’s not funny

Invalid Code. Access denied.
Voice over the PA
"Mother, you don't need to entertain our guest."
It's the ship's synth.
The terminal powers down.
What do you do ?

Tha hell...?! *yells* I know you can hear me you glorified toaster. Dunno what game you’re playing but it’s not funny. *walks to squad bay door an activates the door mechanism* An when I find you we’re going to review USCM regs an you’re going to help me fix whatever you hosed up

Door doesn't open. Code panel showing amber.

*smirks* You’re going to play that way? This is my ship synth... *kneels an takes out multitool & opens the panel below the door panel & activates the manual bolt release*

"I may be synthetic, but I'm still a person."
Door opens.

*puts panel back in place an wipes off hands on BDU’s as gets up* Remains to be seen. I’ve heard stories & know how Yutani loves to use you guys. *looks down each corridor* An I don’t wish to be your next biological experiment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Stephen Perry was ridiculous about that poo poo.

The Man Who Never Missed was cool as gently caress, but the rest of the Matador series got into some very kinky and abusive sex in way, way too much detail. He toned his poo poo way down in his Alien novelizations,. Even for a series with a strong Geiger influence he could go much too far, and has.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Everything everybody already said, plus OMG that 80s hair.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

David Drake had something like that in his Hammer's Slammers books. Genefran flirts.

Sci-fi gets really weird sometimes.

I hesitate to think of what real life incident he's drawing from. Probably something where you could throw a dozen darts at the UCMJ and each one hits a relevant charge,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So there's a documentary coming out that looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWinF5VsNw

T2 is an amazing action movie, but it's an amazing PG-13 action movie. Terminator is a horror movie with action. An underappreciated scene is where Sarah's roommate gets killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYeRhDdtryc

The scene starts with setup, Sarah learns that someone with her name was shot and killed. Then, off to her apartment.
First the jump scare with Puggsley. Then the boyfriend gets beaten to death. The the second scare with the bloody body thrown through the door. Lastly the desperate run for for safety, doomed before she took her first step away. Five rounds in the back. The drat machine keeps shooting until she stops twitching. Then the machine gets startled when the phone rings and the answering machine picks up.

"Machines need love too" indeed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And don't forget Xenophobe:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10503

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Ah-fur-ma-tive

I'm testing it out in a one-on-one using a Traveller starship, the Kinunir, as a stand-in for a Conestoga-Class marine transport pending. I've got to review the stress rules and get another session scheduled, but so far the system looks like to should do the job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

I would hear about this the day I drop some serious coin on dental work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’d say the intent was there, the scene is in the script and it got filmed. In my head canon that’s what happened to him.

The audience deserves to see Burke get it, and I favor the inner-jaw to the forehead method. Unfortunately it'd kill the pacing, so I'll just have to do without.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Watching "Chariots of the Gods" 1970. The makers of Prometheus must have watched this a lot. Skip to 1 hour in to see stone carvings of an Engineer who visited ancient South America.

That's a creepy landscape at 1:00:00 in the video. Cue it up there and spend the next few minutes expecting to see an Engineer starship parked just out in the open. I totally buy that the people who lived there carved some crazy poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So the Alien RPG, amazing as a sourcebook it is doesn't have deck plans for the Sulacco. Lucky for me, and everyone else, the blueprints book is deeply discounted right now; $28.49.

https://smile.amazon.com/Alien-Blueprints-Graham-Langridge/dp/1785654950/ref=sr_1_1

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's awesome.

Do they still have the Technical Manual available anywhere?

Yes it is and yes they do, it's back in print.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I still can't decide if this canonically makes Ripley or the Queen Xeno a Disney Princess.

Both.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there a canonical/semi-canonical source for how much a synthetic costs in the Aliens universe?

One of my players wants to play one, and I'm fine with that. But they are a rough and tumble just-barely-keeping-her-fueled freighter crew and I remember reading that a synthetic like Bishop is prohibitively expensive, so I'd want to help her come up with a background that makes sense (right now thinking she was "salvage," as well as play up all the things that would come up with grubby truckers with minimal security having what some scoundrels would consider a king's ransom in easily stolen and re purposed hardware, that kind o thing.

The crew's synthetic might be provided by their mortgage or insurance company as a way to protect the investment. I am pretty sure I didn't see costs in the new RPG. What I did see was a system for hidden agendas for all the PCs to make cinematic-style games more interesting; and a synthetic belonging to your insurance company will certainly have some obvious agendas.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was playing Mad Max today, and I ran into a couple of Buzzards (the Russian guys with the spiky cars in Fury Road). My on-board mechanic goes "Oh no, we're in Buzzard territory! They mostly come out at night... Mostly..."

It goes on sale for as low as $5. It really captures the setting, the environment is vast a beautifully barren, the combat has a visceral impact to it that very few games achieve. And you get a harpoon gun that you can use to snag dudes out of their cars with. Highly recommended.

frogge posted:

One of those synthetics built by synthetics that's hiding out from being purged?

I have an RPG scenario I'm working on involving a colony of rogue synthetics. Was there a source for this or is it just an obvious development of the Blade Runner 'verse ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The only constraints I am aware of about the Derelict's location are:

* Not so far away from the colony that a prospector's ATV can't reach it.

* Not so close that one of the prospectors hadn't already stumbled across it.

* On the other side of a mountain range.

* Not so far away that the chestburster in Newt's dad wouldn't have "hatched" before they got back to the colony. It's remotely possible that it popped on the way back, followed mom and the kids back to the colony, matured, and started capturing people. I just don't think it's at all likely. That holds travel time to under about 12 hours. At an average 10kph cross country speed - not totally unreasonable given there's a mountain range to cross - that puts the Derelict anywhere up to 100km from the colony as an extremely conservative estimate. Ten hours travel time at 20kph doubles that, 30 kph adds another 100km to the range.

There are very few things that will slow down a thermonuclear explosion, but a mountain range is one of them. My guess is 30-80 km from the colony, with at least one substantial ridge line in between. It could be several times that, but it won't be much less.

I'm also completely willing to accept that the orbital photo reconnaissance survey of the colony site missed it; and there would necessarily have been some orbital photo coverage of the site before construction started. Either it was too far away for hi-res coverage, or the Derelict site was mapped, but the expert system processing the imagery didn't "see" an artifact there. It's probably plainly visible if you know what an Engineer ship looks like, but until we got a good look at an Engineer ship, nobody had any idea that technological artifacts could look like that. So naturally the photo processing software wouldn't be trained to flag fit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nice !

I just read Alien: Prototype. I was pretty good, I say read it. It's got an unscrupulous scientist, Zula Hendricks and Davis from her comic run, and a unique take on the Xenomorph's adaption to the genetic material of its host. See, the unscrupulous scientist runs a lot of tests, and pays workers in the colony to act as test subjects. The poor SOB who gets facehugged had previously been a test subject for a vaccine against a necromorphic virus; you go all over black spots, angry black boils, and melt until you die. He survived that because the vaccine worked, but he still had some traces of it in his system when he was infected. So the Xeno he produces is also a carrier of a really loving nasty disease. Its make up is part human and part necromorphic disease, which affects both its physiology and its behavior. The scientist calls it a Necromorph.

The novel also sets up Zula Hendricks as a recurring character On A Mission.

Solid novel with a good twist on your standard Xeno.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mushika posted:

Just thought it appropriate.

That's some really good fire discipline by Vasquez, short bursts well placed will keep you alive a lot longer than going full auto. Gorman had one last experience-related fuckup - he left a short clip in his pistol even though he had time to put a fresh one in. And that made the difference.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Was thinking about adding Replicants as a good plot hook to an Alien Colonial Marines game.

I'm developing a scenario with only synthetics, go for it !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Keltar posted:

Try the Venture Bros.

The Harley Quinn animated show turned out to be surprisingly great. The writing and voice acting are top notch, and their takes on, for example, Bane and Clayface are amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

genuinely funny at moments and surprisingly... heartfelt?

Heartfelt is right. The show has developed an emotional core as Harley's crew bonds.

e.

Xenomrph posted:

Is that on any streaming platform?

Just DC's.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wild T posted:

The first season was watchable. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but the vibe was much more of a spaghetti western or samurai flick in space. A lot of practical effects and costumes, too, which was cool. Nick Nolte is fun.

Not just practical effects, in-camera effects. They're shooting in a 21' high, 70' diameter sound stage with LED walls and ceiling. Unreal Engine drives the 3D environment in the background and they shoot the action against the 3d background. No greenscreen, no being able to tell its a composite image because the lighting doesn't quite match, the action is lit by the environment. It's going to be a gamechanger for video production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

The tech is neat but its not quite there yet. Any environments with a strong direction light like the sun or spot lights etc doesn't work. You can't get a LED screen to simulate a direction light. That's why all the demos have been in diffuse soft light. The lighting always looked a bit off to me as well on the show for some of the environments. I mean its super cool but it can be gimmicky if over used.

And the Unreal Engine is better at rocky deserts than forested rolling hills. But it's a huge step and will mature in a year or two. The interiors work they did with it fooled everyone - who thought Werner Herzog's office was a virtual set ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

mllaneza - PST

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have absolutely no life so I can do that. It'd be 3pm here. Unfortunately I won't be drunk at that time but we'll see how it goes anyway.

I can be drunk then.

Which game are we actually using ? I want to get some practice in with the controls... if I die stupid I want it to be on me, not frantically pressing the wrong buttons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I should have more time for games since I got laid off on Wednesday.

If nothing else it’ll give me more free time to think about Aliens.

Good positive outlook on a lovely situation !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Remember the Feminist take on Alien:

Nobody listens to the smart woman so they all die.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I'm really jealous of your campaign, dude. I've been trying to get my friends to do Alien but we settled on CoC again

CoC is about the only system where if the GM wants to drop in Xenomorphs, the players can't say poo poo because there's worse on the menu.

You wanted to run Alien, you run Alien. Tommy guns and bundles of dynamite are a perfectly reasonable response to a Xeno infestation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I watched Alien:Resurrection last night. It hits most of the right notes, but my god is the melody loving awful.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Resurrection is a good opportunity to teach "why are all of these people horrible".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Avatar was cool to see in the theater because of the 3D. The fact it looked like instead of looking at a screen you were looking through a window was :aaaaa: is one of the prime reasons it did well at the box office: it was a feat that couldn't easily be replicated at home.

Say what you will about the story and characters, but the in-theater experience for Avatar was unprecedented. I was swatting things away from my face in most of the forest scenes, and the flying action in the big finale was more real than anything I've ever scene. it's kind of sad that this amazingly beautiful tech demo also had a good story about corporate shenanigans to tell, and nobody noticed because the 3D effects were so loving good. Everything about it, look, feel, tone, style, message, whatever says the movie should be on the same level as T1, Predator2, and at least Alien 3. But it isn't and that's just odd.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zartosht posted:

Objective scientific fact.

Corollary: Aliens is still really good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wowshawk posted:

So with that steam sale going on, is colonial marines worth it?

I'd buy it just to hear Biehn do Hicks again, it's only 6 bucks

With the ACM Overhaul mod it's decent. The worst part of it by far was the literally broken AI, and this fixes it and makes it pretty..

https://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, but also don't stop believin' in Robocop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zYOLVjX3pA

loving hell, pro-click of pro-clicks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Genetic issues might get passed to the Alien parasite, but they might filter for the worst of those effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I kind of liked the ending of A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. Finally had that weird Kubrick feel of :wtc: that was hinted at if you knew that he was initially was interested in working on it. Then it went full Spielberg with the saccharine tone.

AI pisses me off so much. Spielberg did so much, so very visible, damage to Kubrick's vision it's maddening. I am deeply indebted to the friend who showed it to me for letting me pause it every 15 minutes or so to yell at the director.