Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d imagine you’d get sick, mutate, and gestate monsters like the dudes in Prometheus and Covenant if you ate xeno meat.

I doubt you could dilute it to make psychotropic consumables either. Once it’s in your system it’s slime city.

E: I forgot in the comics they harvest “royal jelly” from alien queens so they can make steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You grow a tiny retractable mouth inside your peehole.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s in this movie called the Vagrant that’s pretty hilarious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought we were going to get the equivalent of Aztecs vs. Aliens/Predators from the clips they showed in the AvP trailer but those just ended up being a flashback in the movie.

Lame.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Game over, man, game over.

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/1185945788763066368?s=21

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thank you.

In particular I think it's a little on the nose that Newt's family had to be patient 0.

It changes a lot of the subtext of the final fight if the Queen is born from Newt’s father (and his stand in as the representation of the underrepresented union workers whose lives are exploited while laboring in the company’s colony.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

They said “penis breath” in ET, I thought that was cooler than anything in Aliens. :shrug:

Even Eliot’s mom knew it was a great line.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They did do something interesting.

They died.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

The 'backburster' scene was pretty gnarly, but to me it just reeked of tryhard, like they had to one-up the body horror of the original. The chestburster is gnarly enough, just do that again.

The guy barfing up the alien in covenant was the most viscerally disgusting moment in the entire Alien series.

It was awesome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you want to see some primo batshit Lance Henricksen acting, you guys should check out House 3, aka The Horror Show. He’s great as a cop who’s quickly losing his poo poo because the guy he sent to the chair came back as a ghost and is loving with his family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvLY8r-gH-M

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Does Screamers belong in this thread? Because Screamers has something similar to what you're describing going on.

Screamers is excellent and very prescient in the age of drone warfare.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cursed Blessed Monkey Paw: they’re directed by Ridley Scott

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:yeshaha:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

Disney, huh?

glossy looking PG-13 Alien movies with a cast of non-stop quip-spewing characters

no

lol if you think Ridley Scott is going to suffer the input of some empty Disney suit on his movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah, Starship Troopers loving rules.

When James Cameron first heard about Verhoeven making Starship Troopers, he said something like “why? I already made it (with Aliens).”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I just wish someone would make an adaptation with the powered armor.

I think they have the powered armor in those cg animated movies that came out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I complained about that poo poo in 1999 with The Phantom Menace too. I can let it go if the movie itself is good, but sci-fi prequels are basically never good.

Also inb4 :goonsay: "Well actually the Nostromo is just a bunch of space truckers and it's actually even more realistic if the tech for a super secret mission is advanced but the working class people are stuck with retrograde analog technology"

Did you see Elysium?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Billy’s actor is laughing, but it’s the laughter of someone who’s about to start chopping off someone’s body parts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That sounds amazing. Is that on youtube or anything?

There was a behind the scenes doc on the Fox DVD that had interviews with the cast, I remember hearing that anecdote on that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

TIL that Jenette Goldstein owns a boutique in Pasadena that caters specifically to the big-boobied among us, because she herself is extremely difficult to mistake for a man.

There’s a couple of them around LA.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I still prefer the explanation that Aucturia is just a human colony with a reputation for sex work and not being strict gender conformists; a space Bankok.

Someone posted what they look like in the CineD thread.

david_a posted:

So uh I was browsing around a Star Trek site and I found out that The Motion Picture had Arcturians in it

I can see now why the gender doesn’t matter

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that Starship Troopers made Cameron kinda pissy (he thought he made the superior ST adaptation with Aliens and is quoted in an interview asking why Verhoeven even bothered).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The new show Raised by Wolves directed by Ridley Scott came out this week, is it any good?

It is extremely good and nothing at all like I expected. I thought the trailers gave away too much but I was gladly mistaken.

It’s very much in the same vein as Prometheus and A:C, but without the crutches of being chained to an established franchise.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Predators was great.

Fight me.

That movie’s a lot of fun. Like, the soundtrack to that movie should just be Long Tall Sally on repeat for the entire duration.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

told no lies

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I take it you're talking about Janette Goldstein's part as Vasquez?

If so the story goes that she tried out for the part thinking the movie was about illegal aliens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8njXfB3-fi8
Yes, Hudson's joke in the movie is making reference to a real-life moment.

Why they kept the initial character as Hispanic… that I have no idea. Maybe they realized they didn't have any other minorities besides Apone & Frost & were too lazy to cast somebody else.

I like the unintentional implication that “Hispanic illegal aliens” are still a thing in the future and our country is still throwing undocumented immigrant workers in cages while also exploring the far reaches of the cosmos and using milky robots as a new slave caste.

Good old fashioned American racism is alive and well in outer space.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Thinking about Bill Paxton (the actor)

I’m rewatching Big Love and he’s really good in that show

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Dark Fate is way better than Rise of the Machines, Salivation or Jenny's Sis.

The sequence of the terminator ripping through those ICE agents should’ve went on longer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ridley black gooing the Alien Franchise was one of the best things he’s ever done.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I like to think CineD is all "No you see, the alien is asexual and implying there's rape allusions is just projecting. :goonsay:"

Some people have strong opinions about who’s cooking eggs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

my god it's full of prometheus defenders

What’s wrong with Prometheus? :crossarms:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tell that to the front line xenos soaking up the sentry gun bullets

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve considered doing literally this, rewrite ‘Alien’ to be a modern day tug called the Snark that finds a ship adrift and accidentally picks up a serial killer who starts picking off/doing horrible things to the crew one by one.

Isn’t this Sunshine?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t care what anyone says, I liked Virus when I saw it in the theater, and I like Virus now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYSWeV599s

As far as “Thing/Aliens but it’s a techno-virus on a boat” movies go, it’s pretty good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I really am impressed with how much stuff they packed into that RPG lol

That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian films, Contamination. A movie where some plot is going on to spread alien eggs around the earth. When humans are in proximity they activate and pulsate and stuff and then explode getting goop all of you. If any goop gets on you then after a little while you, explode. Real deal planet-clearing bioweapons courtesy of Luigi Cozzi and an incredibly baller Goblin soundtrack in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bMP8sF1GA

Italy also gave us the films ALIEN 2: ON EARTH and TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK way befor ethe official movies made it out, "ALIEN 2" unfortunately is really really lovely, but fortunately the trailer shows all the best parts hehee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMxen6TBPQ

TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK (also released as Alienators) is something else though liberally taking uh inspiration from both Aliens and Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LG_tEdDow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eJ87SVd-0

Italy also gave us the absolute God Emperor of Predator ripoffs, ROBOWAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IV4g19TXrA

Alienators, not to be confused with the Alienator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDlD1u3qR5A

Or Alien Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfvMi-bhuv0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Alright, I gave it a fair crack. Last time I saw Alien 3 was at least two decades ago. At least. The assembly cut is better than the theatrical cut, but better doesn't mean good.

There are moments I liked in the middle act, which if they weren't tied to the earlier good films might have carried more weight. But the whole ending of the movie is a very tiresome and overlong chase scene where a shoddily composited alien puppet kills too many characters (none of whom I know or care about) one by one. See, that worked in Alien because there were only 7 of them in total. Kane died first, Ash goes rogue, so it's just about the remaining 5 and I've gotten to know and give a drat about all of them. When there's a dozen of them left, after already having seen a dozen die, and I only really like (kinda) a couple of them, it's just a whole lot of nameless almost identical nobodies getting eaten up one by one.

The real crimes are in the opening act though. It's still impossible to get over the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the opening 6 minutes. For Ripley, the last time she woke up she was locked in a room with Newt and two facehuggers on LV-426. For her, that was yesterday. Today she wakes up and they're all dead. The next day (and I'm being generous in assuming it was actually the next day) she's all "eh, I'm over it" and decides to gently caress Charles Dance. That's a *wild* three days of character un-development for Ripley. Now Charles Dance is a great actor, but he's playing a very emotionally restrained dude here and it's just so baffling that she's horny for him (or anyone) at that point.

The attempted rape scene should not exist at all, and while the execution of it makes it worse, it being in the film at all is just creepy AF but not in a narrative way. Somehow it's made worse because they had Ripley jump Charles Dance's bones the day after(?) burying Hicks and Newt. Far too many scenes involve convicts talking about how they do want to have sex with her, how they don't want to have sex with her, how others shouldn't be tempted to have sex with her, one actually having sex with her, a group trying to rape her, and suddenly her being the only woman on a planet of men gets so much worse than just failing the Bechdel Test. It's almost good that there's an alien monster there so they have *anything* else to talk about than Ripley's perceived fuckability.

I don't even hate the film, it's more bland than bad for the most part *on its own merits*.

Why is this rape in my rape monster movie? Eww, no thank you.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

with the rise of oversized original art artists edition books, I would give anything to see some of the original pages of the old dark horse comics. I bet the Kelley Jones and Sam Kieth pages look amazing on the original boards.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 30, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

There was a bunch of chatter a while ago about Alien 5 when it was going to have Ripley and Hicks in it and be directed by the District 9 guy but apparently ridley scott saw chappie and pulled the plug lol

Is that part about Ridley seeing Chappie and killing it true? I would’ve figured he’s respond positively to all the class commentary in the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They’re going to reveal the real Vasquez was killed and replaced before we got to meet her, like Don Draper from Mad Men.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best line of Predators is Adrien Brody growling “That’s right, MUD” at the predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

If any of you folks fit in the center of the venn diagram that is aliens and comic books, there is an excellent Dark Horse 4-issue limited series called "Aliens: Dead Orbit." It's about some aliens on a space station.

Hell yeah, James Stokoe’s art is so good in that series. I’m glad I picked up the single issues when it came out.