Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

hekaton posted:

space force should be part of the coast guard cause space is only like 50 miles up ergo facto its like off the coast of the us, just up-wise

i say swears online posted:

that actually brings it under jurisdiction of the border patrol and department of homeland security

this logic is surprisingly sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

when i first discovered the r key in popular video games, it was indeed a game changer

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/nezhadnobu90014/status/1732882631342141875

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Playing the greatest hits, "the dominant ideology is the ideology of the dominant class" from the The German Ideology.

As financial capitalism takes hold and becomes dominant in neoliberalism, it's the financier capitalist's worldview that becomes more imperative. As they have the greater means of capital and capital has more pull of power in those conditions, it is as if things are spontaneously rearranged in their favor.

Try to view such problems in their shoes. What background does the financier capitalist have? What education, what parents, what activities their families were involved? A CEO, a managerial financier, is someone who deals with the world in terms of finance, because that is their function, their social role. Individually, there are capitalists who of course have command of history, of sociology; there are the rare ones who do also have command of political economy.

However, even as powerful individuals, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are able to leverage that force in structural matters. For example: such an individual, seized by a bout of nationalist fervor and imperial sentiment, decides to mobilize capital to build a no-bullshit military factory. His potential investors, however, don't get swayed by the less-than-average predicted ROI and initial estimates of valuation. Raytheon, Lockheed et al don't like this unexpected surge of competition one bit and take to the government to judicially pile upon the company; consultant groups analyze if they would be committing unfair market practices by delivering prices below average rate while having lesser average profitability and so on and on

This individual wants to address a real material problem, but the others around him do not see how that can be interesting if there are no gains in profitability to be had, because that is the main ideological problem to be dealt with. "Do I receive a greater return than what I invested? Is that return better than other possible investments? How can I have more?"

This capitalist class takes things like redundancy or capacity as anathema. Efficiency, for them, is a purely financial angle: spend less as possible and get the most out of it for the sake of profit, not for the actual problem that they are engaging with.

Zodium posted:

tremendous post.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
it isn't half bad. indeed, its 4% away from it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It's been a while since I looked into it but I'm pretty sure there's still military band.

Idk.

its more accurate but on account of having 2x many signals to combine to extrapolate ionic interference iirc but covilian gps already does that with 2x signals, actual important bit is civilian gps is easily jammed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1735440311185264754

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BillsPhoenix posted:

Rome basically always comes up when talking about the demise of America, but there's tens of thousands of cultures and countries that no longer exist.

And, this is a really hot take, what if Marx is wrong about the inevitable collapse of capitalism.

As an example- bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is one of the most clever safeguards added to capitalism. It largely prevents work stoppage while analysts and lawyers argue about number. It also importantly allows numbers to go down, while letting the elite reallocate/fight for control among themselves, reseting number to go back up again.

I have only see Marx write about bankruptcy as an inevitable death/failure, not a reset or transition.

lmfao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this one weird trick marx hates

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

president xi, my name is little joseph. i am eighty one years old. please send chengdu j-20 multi-role stealth fighter

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Can't lose WW3 if you don't start it. bing bong

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

well I guess if someone has to exploit africa and plunder all its mineral wealth it's better that those minerals go towards making fireworks that make people happy than going towards bombs that genocide innocents

this mf thinks fireworks are made in africa lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the point is fireworks are extremely basic not that fireworks don't exist everywhere in the world lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

school military lunch debt

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You wonder what kind of secret artisan fireworks the other countries make.

lol that was exactly my thought when i saw the japanese/euro fireworks. must be a few designs in particular that are popular and sold widely but not too popular to get gobbled by a chinese factory.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

commander ftw. chew their asses up

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
gamblers showed no economic fear

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fizziester posted:

Why doesn't China want to help the Houthis find out why American don't have free healthcare?

Source: Voice of America

https://www.voanews.com/a/where-is-china-in-the-red-sea-crisis-/7510435.html

Rather than taking part in the coalition’s missions to protect international ships, China has accused the U.S. and the U.K. of illegally attacking military sites used by Houthi rebels to launch missiles at commercial vessels. China’s envoy to the United Nations claims the actions are illegal because the U.N. Security Council has not authorized military action in Yemen.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTRzU5CrPxk

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Capitalists will sell the rope with which to hang them, conversely...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

genericnick posted:

The Europeans set up an arcane structure of derivative markets to fix their procurement. The Russians just used windows.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HouseofSuren posted:

If you read the GBS and DND threads about this war you'd swear to god Ukraine was about to summon a Gundam and the fact that they don't even have an airforce or a navy isn't a big deal while on the retreat from large cities.

I'd rather have Russians and Hamas than those people as fellow countrymen.

i liked the guy making fun of russia for abandoning the armata because its too expensive and my immediate thought being "I pray to soon see a similar headline in America"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

You have yet to see the to of the iceberg

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they changed it so you get gold no matter what at 12 years/3 stripes iirc

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
giving troops CTE for the lulz

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Votskomit posted:

I'm not a Warhammer 1776 nerd. Can you please explain what these stripes mean?

it means the madman had been in the navy for 40 years or up, potentially, 43years & 364 days

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Thought it still required the streak to be unbroken, served with a guy who still rocked the red because he was kinda a fuckup before he made first class.

its went into effect recently. iirc at 12 years of service you can wear gold nonmatter what. it’s like a get out of jail free card. but if then gently caress up again, you go back to red and the 12 year timer starts over lol. also its not cumlative, if your in and out of the navy but a 12 year streak. navy street fighter super gauge

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Idk, were the losses in Vietnam and Afghanistan met with hyper nationalism?

:goofy:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
as a tankie i love all tanks, old and new, equally

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Also china can't even invade taiwan.

do they need to? taiwan is in the far more passive position unless you think the US can mount an actual defense without being miserably bloodied ala russia in ukraine.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

They have given me the impression they want to, the reason is beyond me.

Having the capability, showing threat and actually wanting to do it are all different things. Khrushchev appeared crazy enough to start WW3 to where Eisenhower felt the need to gently caress up britain & co directly during the Suez Crisis but never intended to make good on his threats, and didnt have the capability to lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

China doesn't have the capability to carry out threats is what I'm saying.

considering the US wargames predict catastrophic losses for all involved, the blob disagrees

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
what is taiwans gameplan in the situation of being next to a hostile neighbor, with the damage from that war, and being an island. if a war happens theyre doomed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Taiwan more like asian puerto rico if a war happens lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
xi jinping doing three pointer toss of bounty towels into a crowd

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
there’s nothing wrong with being a fascist

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drilldo squirt posted: