Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's also why China is developing a blue water surface navy, even if in a real conflict it'd be useless. China needs to be able to challenge the US on the open oceans to have an international deterrent, and you can't really interdict shipping with submarines.

https://twitter.com/DouglasBShaw/status/1471832929198395399

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

the us has not detonated a nuclear weapon in 30 years. it's safe to say every guy who has practical experiance building an atom bomb that actually explodes has retired

It's not so difficult and it's enough if one in 50 goes off though. Even the MIC can do that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Might be a hot take, but Chinggis Khan doesn't get enough credit. sure, there might have been skull mountains of his enemies, but he laid the groundwork for the largest contiguous empire in world history, going from hunting rats to bringing together disparate nomadic peoples, creating a law system, and promoting genuine meritocracy.
Most of the hate is cause the western world was on the losing side, if he was one of ours he'd be basically a saint.

loving RPG protagonists

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If the British Empire had actually followed through on enfranchising the colonies it would all fall apart anyway, because it's impossible to do equitable development in multiple different regions around the world separated by whole continents. As soon as one region realizes it's getting the shaft they're going to agitate for independence and then you're right back at Square 1.

As seen in the documentary Fang of the Sun Dougram.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

How many more years till russia, china, and/or india, africa, etc pose a serious threat to the united states?

That happened seventy years ago. (minus africa, no big red buttons there)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

It's not performance. those people are actually important to ameircan military power, the government can't afford to get them sick.

unlike you

Those are some lame-rear end masks though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea while grift exists everywhere, the main difference is that in most countries grifting too much gets you punished but in the us grifting too hard means that the government will reward you with even more money to fix the problem you yourself created

How fast we have forgotten Fat Leaonard and his thai seal team.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

it's only a matter of time before neutron bomb technology gets to the point where landlords get the ok to use them as a more efficient alternative to the standard eviction process

A classic idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zhNb8ANe8

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

why did they scrap everything for the f-22 if its so good, its super expensive so its not like the MIC wasn't wettings its beak. what gives!

I guess since the F-35 program got even more expensive you'll have to increase your claimed capabilities accordingly? Sure it's the most expensive plane ever, but it can do all the jobs, ALL THE JOBS.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

Having your fighting ability unproven indefinitely is actually how you win

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

It seemed to work pretty good on Japan. The home islands lost about 4% of their population. I don't think Yemen's quite there yet, that'd be 1.2 million deaths.
MAD is what it is, for now at least, but that's only moderately helped by those oceans.

Not sure we should be using total population for Yemen. I want to say 15 million was the number of people actually in the war zone? Not sure we have any reliable number for dead too.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

U.S. military here with a film aimed at military people saying "we have to understand china as well as the soviet union"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JcAvnbRtE

.....not at all?

Edit: Also did the US military also pivot to video? Lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1557514647263232001

didn't know that zimbabwe has cavalry or that international army games had a horse marathon

Is this where they drop the next pandemic?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s war and we support one of the sides.

that’s the real complaint any way isn’t it? that we support the one side. one doesn’t have to dress it up and use language to frame it as something else.

Seems to me the use of stealing here is pretty much standard English? No dressing up at all? And I don't have anything against the Kurds.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s sort of the problem anyway. once they got their own region in Iraq that’s what’s happened. it’s a “region in Iraq” but it might as well be a Kurdish state.

Those are a different group though. If I'm not completely off there's even marriage ties between the Barzanis and Erdogan.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

he'll probably go like gaddafi at some point

Dangerous words

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I bet they're going to work great for fighting the Indians in phalanx though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

As far as the changes to the Marine Corps, how are you going to be supplying these forces if potentially the other side has an advantage in both the sea and air?

You can throw these guys on an island, but what is going to stop them from being more than a nuisance if the other side can simply hit back at the fleet assets supporting them and then bomb them into submission?

Perhaps, traditional combined arms divisions are not possible at this point but at the same time, it doesn’t really seem like this is much of a solution since these forces aren’t going to last long if the enemy can find a way to pin them down.

Also, are the Navy and the Army going to be given the material to offset the neutering of the Marine Corps? During Iraq, a large percentage of the invading force were marines, is the army going to be told to “do more with less”?

They'll get supplied via Spaceforce ICB container drops, obviously.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

The additional problems with the original OICW which China is unlikely to have solved are.

Putting all that stuff on one weapon made it way too loving heavy.

A 20mm grenade is far too small to be remotely useful.

Can we make the 20mm grenade explode like the 40mm if we spend the GDP of a small European country? Only one way to find out!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Palladium posted:

the japanese in the 80s identified the #1 contributor to the decline of american manufacturing is healthcare costs and im sure this has been addressed along with the other very minor problems like crumbling infrastructure and education

It has indeed. Can't smelt Aluminium with health care, after all.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Why not just shoot it out of an artillery gun and have it parachute in? I doubt you're getting a lot of range on that drone and artillery shells can be as big as like 150 kg for ground based artillery. a robodog with a gun and parachute is probably less than 100 kg. Just have a massed robodog barrage, shooting a hundred of these little fuckers out.
I suppose you could just deploy these off of atvs though so you could get a presumably useless gun dog deep in enemy territory for cheap

If you shoot it out of a gun the cargo has to withstand all the acceleration before it leaves the barrel.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

No problem, we'll just use a low velocity mortar that fires a robot dog mounting a smaller low velocity mortar that fires a smaller robot dog mou

I'm convinced, someone give this man a hundred billion dollars

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Just from an instructor point of view - and this is with the C7A2 and C79 optical sight - boresighting candidate rifles and then zeroing them on the ranges takes up a good part of the day of their first shoot, and that’s us doing it for them. Teaching them how to do it correctly and then checking their work would probably take a full day. When they graduate to Infantry School or Land Phase Training / Battle School, they learn how to properly set their sights.

So, for example, I would have to set up a rifle, sit next to the prone candidate at the 100m position, and then though my binoculars get an idea of the MPI on the targets. With brand new shooters, it takes even longer as their groups might be all over the place. Then, range control ceases firing, we get the butts to pull the targets, the candidates get them, we explain their grouping, circle the MPI, they try again, we eventually are able to set the windage and alignment on the C79, maybe they’re shooting better, maybe not.

That’s without showing them how to adjust the C79 which we usually just leave on 100m for the first iirc two or three shoots on the range.

All of this to say, these are Reservists, marksmanship and adjusting rifle sights - as opposed to just setting elevation - even teaching basic offset shooting, that’s a significant amount of instruction time.

If you go back to the musketry manual for the Lee-Enfield, they spent dozens, I think a hundred hours or more, of instruction time in the classroom and the ranges to practice marksmanship, but this is not something that’s prioritized now because it eats up a huge chunk of time that could be spent teaching the members of other MOS how to do their jobs.

Certainly interesting, but does it matter in the end? Is the rifle much more than a comfort stick?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

Pretty hard to mobilize for a big invasion secretly. Taiwan, ie the USA, should have plenty of notice.

I guess they could do yearly fake invasions like the US does with North Korea?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What happens if one guy really needs a smoke at the wrong time?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

Looks like you're right as far as deaths go.

I'm Non-Hostile Fire

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

The british stumbled into owning the richest province of the mughal empire right off the bat and made the EIC stop being a burden on the state.

EUIV speedrun strats are wild

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/leaked-senators-letter-warns-aukus-deal-could-harm-us-submarine-industry-20230106-p5cary.html

Leaked senators’ letter warns AUKUS deal could harm US submarine industry

What trusting America gets you; we already spent 800 million dollars to cancel our French submarines for the privilege of the opportunity to maybe get American submarines

This seems like US losing WW3 material - your most slavish close ally pays to undermine their own security so they can pay your industry to supply material, reinforcing their dependency on you, and the arms are being used to defend your interests and fight your main rival (again, at your ally's expense), and the response is now 'uhh, thanks for your support but sounds too hard sorry'

Lmao. The French must be livid.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hatebag posted:

I don't think the american public cares about taiwan or china at all beyond having an enemy to hate and they also don't go crazy for wars where the enemy can fight back. They love cold wars, proxy wars, and committing genocide against what they perceive as defenseless countries but I don't think they're clamoring to get nuked. The media would be begging for armageddon, though

Does the American public understand that other countries can nuke them back though?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

I feel like if China is going to invade or blockade Taiwan they will probably start producing a heck of a lot of anti ship missiles. I'm also not convinced using (and maybe losing) ships is cheaper than blowing up a couple of ships as a warning.

Not sure about the whole thing. Might be worth it to do an outright land invasion of the island if you could get it done before you have to decide whether to sink US aircraft carriers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the small problem here is that there are three countries that account for about 90% of the world's merchant shipbuilding, and those are japan, south korea and china itself

so in other words the us will have no real way to replace sunk freighters because those japanese and korean shipyards are sure as hell going to be a priority target for china if the poo poo hits the fan

If we're at the stage where China takes out critical infrastructure in Korea and Japan we're probably a good way past the blockade bit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

so what your saying is russia could destroy america by blowing up a single container ship full of chinese commodities.

I bet they wouldn't though, China likes international trade more than they like russia

You say they could blow up their own ship in order to show they could blow up other ships?
Edit: drat

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Agile means I can deliver nothing and you still pay me

Implementing an rsync cronjob on a two month timeline.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doktor Avalanche posted:

lmao this is the same development strategy we use for a chat app and every release is bug-ridden, you can't do that for what is essentially a death machine with wings

I asure you you can

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Why are we still funding the proxy war in Ukraine again? I forget

Freedom

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lenin was actually only pretending to poo poo on Kautsky to get past the Russian censors :hmmyes:.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

How would Russian occupation be better for the Ukrainian people?

On the one side we have the IMF and the SS Galicia division, on the other we have notable Denikin fan Vladimir ""Pinochet" Putin. Clearly one of those is a better deal for the people of Ukraine to the extent that feeding everyone from 16 to 60 into a woodchipper is worth it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Remember when the Airforce said that defending US air space isn't one of their missions?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Good thing China wouldn’t use it to evaluate the radar cross section or EW signature of the F-22 or that would have been hubristic of the Americans, eh?

How are you going to evaluate a radar cross section with a weather balloon?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chairface posted:

clearly we need a new high altitude interceptor armed with a shrapnel gun capable of absolutely shredding the poo poo out of high altitude balloons so they fall down fast.

no this will have no other combat use.

I estimate development costs at 4 billion and unit costs at 80 million.

I am taking no questions at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

ive been enjoying this former soviet chud named Martyanov that posts rants on youtube under the name smoothiex12. he likes to promote analytical approaches to topics and is kind of an rear end in a top hat about things i also hate

he claims (reasonably) that industrial warfare is a stochastic process and can be modeled and understood mathematically. when he shows his soviet war manuals they look suspiciously like one of my engineering textooks - i can't read the russian text and wouldn't have noticed the difference honestly

his general thesis are the people in charge in the west are actors and lawyers and other folks with an innumerate education. i can't stop seeing this pattern too - they can (barely) wrap their heads around systems, but not systems in motion/with time as a function. its like watching someone planning out a chess game in their head but forgetting that in-between their movements, the opponent also moves their pieces changing the board over time

blinken has a degree in social studies, nuland has a degree in russian lit. i wonder if any of them have contemplated the difference between sending N tanks once, and sending N tanks/month. we are intensely unprepared for what is coming :toot:

The guys who built the US empire were sales guys and that's still where the US' strength lies.