Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SportsChannel8/status/1107041567066521601?s=20

Lol

Moton is NC Central's coach, he made that comment 2 days ago

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Giggity

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rick Barnes can absolutely lose to anyone. That's been the story of, like, his entire career

Yeah someone brings it up every time Tennessee or Barnes is mentioned.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Even with a Rick Barnes team, I still think they’re the least up and down of all the teams in the South.

I mean, watch them lose first round now that I’ve said that.

Biggest problem is depth and when another team goes on a run you can see them lose energy. That and not being able to defend the 3 to save their lives.

It's amazing that the team is as good as it is considering none of them were top-200 players coming out of HS except Grant and he was barely one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope we make it to the final for obvious reasons but also because Duke will likely be the other side and one of my best friends went to Duke and we've agreed if both teams make the final we'll go to Minneapolis for the game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1110213957170749440?s=20

Ruh roh

yes that Avenatti

e:

Hahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahah

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1110227558816202752?s=20

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 25, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just loving amazing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple years ago I went to a Wisconsin game with a buddy that went there and as a show of support I bought a Wisconsin shirt to wear. Bought it from the Big10 store, still get emails from them from time to time, no big deal.

Until last night, about 20 minutes after the game when I got this

gently caress you, big ten store

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/895124/2019/03/29/admiral-schofield-and-the-final-sad-moments-of-a-tremendous-career/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

Good, albeit sad, article about Admiral. I can't remember the rules on quoting from pay sites but if you don't have an Athletic account get one dummy, it's 100% worth it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee guard Jordan Bone has declared for the NBA Draft.

This isn't news, we knew he was going to do that. Admiral did it last year to get a draft grade - he can always come back as long as he doesn't' hire an agent like Admiral did.

The news part is he said he's not considering returning regardless of where he grades out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

I kinda like Bone long term but I don't think he'd go in the first this year. But maybe he just hates school and is fine doing the G-league or Europe thing. Lot of time for him to change his mind though, unless he hires an agent.

If he does go does Tennessee have anyone left next year? I dunno if Williams has officially declared but I would imagine he's basically a lock

Grant hasn't declared yet but he will eventually at the very least to get graded. His chances to return are higher than Bone's IMO because he's said he wants to get his masters and his parents highly value education. That's probably just wishful thinking on my part though.

As for who we have left, Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden will both be seniors. Yves Pons showed a ton of promise at the beginning of the season but is really raw. He'll have to put in a lot of time in the offseason to get better.

We have 5* Josiah James coming in that ideally would eventually take over Bone's spot.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 4, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait why does Texas think they could pull Pearl from Auburn? I wasn't aware of any ties he had there

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

curried lamb of God posted:

He's a good coach, but he's already 64 and I'm sure Tennessee will do everything to keep him

Im curious to see what the AD does. He’s already the second highest SEC coach. So they match Calipari’s salary or beat it?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly UCLA offered Barnes 5mil a year (currently 3.25m at UT) and we countered, but no details on how much, but the rumor is it's a lifetime contract.

Would be pretty funny if UCLA gets two coaches lifetime contracts.

If Barnes leaves it'll be a disaster - Grant and Bone will 100% bail, 5*2020 Josiah James will be gone and 5*2021 Cody Walker would definitely decommit. We'd effectively be starting from 0 again.

UCLA is a shitshow, I can't imagine why Barnes would want to go there. Unless he thinks he can go there and turn them around in a couple years, he's 65, I can't imagine he has more than 5-6 years in him left to coach.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’m starting to think he’s gone. I doubt Barnes would do this if hadn’t already made his mind up. UT athletics continue to be a complete shitshow.

This is a dumb defeatist take. If he'd already made up his mind we'd know about it. All we know is that UCLA offered and we countered and he's mulling it over. There's a laundry list of reasons for him to stay and the only reason that people can come up with for him to go is "well UCLA used to be good". If that's enough for him to go then...okay bye I guess. It actually reflects well on our athletic program that people are trying to hire away our coaches.

e: also lol no Bruce aint coming back

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 8, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Tennessee football would 100% use the "we're historically good, please come to Knoxville" card if it could pull in someone good. And I'm sure was used in the past to justify NFL coaches coming to town. If I were UCLA, I'd ride that as long as possible. Who knows how long it will last

That's literally what kept getting thrown out during our shitshow of a coaching search so

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Related to this discussion, article from the WSJ today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-11554739458

UCLA ranked #8 most valuable NCAA program.

edit: Nevermind, Georgia at 66. This ranking must be flawed

That's strictly basketball though - also I'm not subscribing to read their article, where is Tennessee at out of curiosity?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol a fake account just said UCLA was a done deal then the LA Times sports guy retweeting it saying he’s heard the same thing then deleted his tweet

https://twitter.com/TreyWallace_/status/1115359805559005184?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

Is anyone tracking flights yet?

Not that I’m aware but a buddy of mine (this is real I’m not kidding) that lives in Knoxville texted me to say that UCLA has offered to pay half of Ricks buyout and that he has 4 hours to give them an answer.

Oh and Im not supposed to tell anyone, whoops

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/hardknoxpizza/status/1115368798704537602?s=20

They’re offering the wrong guy food. Give these offers to Phil and watch him work some magic

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Do any of these businesses truly follow through on their offers? Like if the coach or player gets fired or leaves the team or retires, are they still honoring their offers?

I’m sure they follow through if he retires but fired probably not.

I’d love Barnes to step up to the podium tomorrow and tell everyone he doesn’t want the raise, he loves the Burger at Stock & Barrel (which is loving awesome btw) enough so he’s staying

Crazy how this is the only thing in college basketball going on tonight

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1115436942781571074?s=20

False alarm guys!

:toot:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

As a Texas fan, it’s weird to me to see people want to KEEP Rick Barnes.

Hows getting rid of him working out?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grant Williams officially announced this morning he was staying with the draft.

I knew he’d go and it’s probably the best decision for him but my heart didn’t want him to.

:(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And Admiral and Bone and Alexander. The team is going to look really different this season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

Still consistently hearing Kerry Blackshear coming back to VT from VT's side. The feedback Tennessee is riding high on is the exact same thing he told every school he visited; great experience, great opportunity, etc. That guy that said KJ was down to just VT or Tenn was wrong at the time, was just speculating.

Also hearing that he'll decide in the next 72 hours, so should know one way or another shortly.

It’s been the next 72 hours for like 3 weeks now

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lmao this kid is ridiculous

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

2020 4-star SG Keon Johnson committed to Tennessee tonight. #1 player in the state, top 35 in the country.

I love how everyone is like "Top 5 class, yeah!" and it's literally just two kids. I've only just recently started paying attention to basketball recruiting and I'm so used to Football classes being like 20 kids.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to seeing what Barnes can do with highly ranked kids vs. what he did with Grant, Admiral etc.

yeah yeah kevin durant etc we know

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vikingstrike posted:

*checks notes*

Looks here like a Sweet 16.

I believe that was covered under "etc."!!!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hells yeah 5* Jaden Springer just committed to UT. That’s 2 5* and a 4*, all top 40 players in the 2020 class so far

That’s jumps us to #4 overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lol do you think I’m SaxMaverick?